ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,453
Convert a .gpx file for viewing in Google Maps - How To

The following is a tutorial on how to convert .gpx files into .kml files for viewing in Google Maps.

1. Save your .gpx file where you can find (I place it on my desktop for ease of retrieval)

2. In your webrowser type: www.gpsvisulizer.com

3. When GPSVisualizer opens find the box that says "Get Started Now"

4. Next, minimize the window and drag the .gpx file (from your desktop) into the "Get Started Now" box at the window that says "Upload a GPS file" (you may alternately browse to it). You will note that the file name is now in this window.

5. Choose your output type. You want "Google Maps" which is also the default in this window.

6. Click "Go"

7. The file will now be converted and GpsVisualizer will open the original .gpx file in Google Maps.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 11:08 AM
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,958
Google Maps can also load the information out of a GPX file that's online...

I have a file, "20100822.gpx", on rootdir of my webserver...
http://wildcat.homeunix.net/20100822.gpx

copy that URL and paste it in teh google maps search field:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%...2F20100822.gpx
Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Thanks ShowMule I like that.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
So now how can I get it from gpsviualizer (google maps) into just google maps. I would like to be able to save it to "my maps" so I can come back and get it later. Also if I could get it into regular google maps then I could drag and edit the route.
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
This is all I do:

* go to maps.google.com
* click "my maps" on the left
* click "create new map"
* click "import"
* it says to choose a KML/KMZ/GeoRSS file, but a .gpx file works perfectly too
* select your gpx file, and press "upload"
* done!

Here's a test gpx import I created just now: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...25b9e62f6e6e1a
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
This is all I do:

* go to maps.google.com
* click "my maps" on the left
* click "create new map"
* click "import"
* it says to choose a KML/KMZ/GeoRSS file, but a .gpx file works perfectly too
* select your gpx file, and press "upload"
* done!

Here's a test gpx import I created just now: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...25b9e62f6e6e1a
Good stuff.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,652
I've tried both the abhibeckert and SnowMule methods above and all i get is a lot of blue waypoints (?) on a google map... no line showing the roads that connect.

What am I doing wrong?

on edit: for clarification, it looks like abhibeckert created a track, exported a GPX and then generated a google map. I am using Routes... could this be the difference?

for a variety of reasons, I don't want to use a 3rd party site.

Visian screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 11:02 AM
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Routes are a list of major points (the waypoints you're seeing) that are connected using data from the mapset. You would put in two waypoints, like the bank and the store, then generate a route from the bank to the store. The receiver/computer/whatever would use the street information in the mapset to get a left-turn, right-turn, go-straight, turn-here path to follow. Routes are highly dependent on the receiver's ability to generate a path and the map information available.

Tracks are a large list of minor points that are connected to each other. No information from a mapset is used to generate or display these. As a result, nearly any GPS can use these. My old GPS12 with no maps at all could use a track for navigation, provided it fits in teh limited 1024-point memory.

A lot of people use tracks as a route because it gets rid of any specifics to a mapset... mapset A may take you along the highway to the store, while mapset B will route you along side roads. A track is just a list of digital breadcrumbs to "pick up" as you head to the store, it won't have the voice-prompted turns that a route would have.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Routes are a list of major points (the waypoints you're seeing) that are connected using data from the mapset. You would put in two waypoints, like the bank and the store, then generate a route from the bank to the store. The receiver/computer/whatever would use the street information in the mapset to get a left-turn, right-turn, go-straight, turn-here path to follow. Routes are highly dependent on the receiver's ability to generate a path and the map information available.

Tracks are a large list of minor points that are connected to each other. No information from a mapset is used to generate or display these. As a result, nearly any GPS can use these. My old GPS12 with no maps at all could use a track for navigation, provided it fits in teh limited 1024-point memory.

A lot of people use tracks as a route because it gets rid of any specifics to a mapset... mapset A may take you along the highway to the store, while mapset B will route you along side roads. A track is just a list of digital breadcrumbs to "pick up" as you head to the store, it won't have the voice-prompted turns that a route would have.
Very well explained. Answer me this. When you are creating a map in Google Maps and you use the "follow roads" or "snap to roads" what is that? A route or a track? Also, do you know a way to make it stop trying to route you a different way? Whenever I try to use it, the feature wants to try and find a "better" road to take.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Very well explained. Answer me this. When you are creating a map in Google Maps and you use the "follow roads" or "snap to roads" what is that? A route or a track? Also, do you know a way to make it stop trying to route you a different way? Whenever I try to use it, the feature wants to try and find a "better" road to take.
Google Maps would be a route... you've got Point A (Northglenn, on I-25) and point B (Idaho Springs, Point B), and Google's using its mapset go generate the I-25/I-76/I-70 route.
edit: okay, embed's broken.. click this

A track would look more like this, has a much higher resolution of points along the path you want to take. If you were to plot each of these points in a track connected by straight lines between points, you could follow that regardless of what (if any) mapset you had installed.
Linky
Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Here's what I'm doing. I made a mapset using the snap to road feature. Saved it as a KML file and uploaded to the iPhone using Accuterra. AT does not support routes, only tracks. When I view the track in AT, the track still follows the road, not point to point! Pretty cool but using the snap to road feature is a Major PITA.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Visian
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
good explanation, indeed. thanks. it's essentially like bit map vs. vector in the graphics world.

unfortunately, while one can create a route from a track, there appears no way to export a Track from a Route.

i've got a bunch of GPX routes of rides that others have provided. i'd like to turn into Google maps and provide direct links. there is not enough time to do it manually.

i tried communicating with the tech support guy at GPS Visualizer and he just spoke way over my head... we couldn't connect, conceptually, as to what i am trying to do.

Visian screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 02:01 PM
Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
good explanation, indeed. thanks.

unfortunately, while one can create a route from a track, there appears no way to export a Track from a Route.
The newest Mac BaseCamp Beta can do exactly that. It might not hurt to download and try the Windows version if you have not yet seen the light.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Visian
Look out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
The newest Mac BaseCamp Beta can do exactly that. It might not hurt to download and try the Windows version if you have not yet seen the light.
ok, thanks.... Basecamp is what i am using. 3.1.4 (beta crap on Mac scares me....and i turned of Window last year *permanently* after yet another day wasted in Outlook hell. )
Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Visian
Look out!

well, i have a current macbook pro with 8 gig of ram and the beta Basecamp just sits there locked up, so i reloaded the current distribution version.

any other ideas... i am