Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Sidecar Delay Factor: Please tell us YOUR experience(s)

over at www.sovietsteeds.com
the UDF or "Ural Delay Factor" thread is probably the longest and, quite frankly, most enjoyable to read
but....
we know that ANY sidecar is a "conversation piece."
so, as my rig is only 3-5 days away from its home, please tell us about YOUR "Sidecar Delay Factor" experience(s)

a bit more about UDF:
http://rumbum.com/565-going-anywhere...?reply_to=5036

as always, thanks in advance
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Delays...

Anytime you stop for something (gas, groceries, picking up the kiddies at school, etc)
Parking at work
Stop lights
Coffee shops
McDonalds
Just about all the time

Sidecars are not for anti-social types. People really dig them in a way that is nothing like their lack of appreciation of (or aprehension of) 2-wheeled motorcycles.
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TebKLR View Post
Anytime you stop for something (gas, groceries, picking up the kiddies at school, etc)
Parking at work
Stop lights
Coffee shops
McDonalds
Just about all the time

Sidecars are not for anti-social types. People really dig them in a way that is nothing like their lack of appreciation of (or aprehension of) 2-wheeled motorcycles.
i appreciate your post
i hope that a few others will tell their tales here
thank you
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
A few of the more interesting UDF's

A RV full of coed's on spring break at a stoplight begging me to pull over so they could get a picture of Taffy and I.

A couple of 1%er patch holders at a gas station asking questions, showing genuine interest and declaring Urals as "cool".

The elderly Russian gentleman who rode one when he was in the military.

The promoters of a antique tractor pull and show asking me to park just inside the main entrance gate.

The manager of the Home Depot who didn't believe that it was possible to safely carry a dozen 2X4's and 4 bags of cement on a motorcycle.

Getting a thumbs up from the chain enforcement officers on I-90's Snoqualmie pass.

The flagger lady at a road construction stop who gave Taffy some treats while we waited.

The little boy who asked me if I was Indiana Jones.

The soccer mom with kids in tow asking if they can pet "Grommet".

The proprietors of a Christmas tree farm asking permission to use a picture of our Ural carrying our tree on their home page.

The look of pure joy on a developmentally disabled child's face after a ride around a parking lot, and the tears in his parents eyes.

I'm a bit of an introvert so the attention has been a little difficult to get used to, there have been a few weirdos, but for the most part it has been fun.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
The look of pure joy on a developmentally disabled child's face after a ride around a parking lot, and the tears in his parents eyes.

I'm a bit of an introvert so the attention has been a little difficult to get used to, there have been a few weirdos, but for the most part it has been fun.
well... of course
YOUR post is EXACTLY what i wanted to read
all those examples.... just wonderful
the one i copies above....
well, even if i weren't a pediatrician.... would bring tears to MY eyes
thank you for posting
thank you for mentioning the UDF story about the child
i greatly appreciate it
Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
I`ve posted my UDF tales ad nauseum and from the title this wasn`t meant to be another UDF Thread but a couple have appeared,so here`s some of my favourites that have happened to me...

The looks of sheer pleasure and amazement on an elderly Russian couple`s faces when they realised I had just parked a Russian bike next to them.
They were staggered to see one in Britain twenty years after they`d left Russia and delighted in reading the Russian stickers I`d fitted from when I was at the Irbit bike show.

A guy who asked me how old my 750 was.
I said "2004"
He angrily replied "Don`t be stupid,it can`t POSSIBLY be two thousand and four years old".
And added......"It`s clearly from the 1950`s"

Once,out on my all green 650,a guy asked if it was a Norton or a BSA.
When I said it was neither,he said that he suspected that was clearly a Matchless!

Next,my absolute fave....from a few years ago now....
A guy came up to me (again on my 750) and said "That`s a nice bike"
I thanked him.
He asked "Who restored that for you"
I replied that it`s not a restoration (remember,guys,it`s a 2004)
He then said "Wow...who built it for you?"
Struggling with this a bit,I just said "It wasn`t quite built for me,but it was built in the Russian Ural factory"
He then asked "How old is it"
I replied that it was two years old (it was,at the time)
Confounded,he asked "How can that possibly be two years old???"
I replied "Because it was built two years ago" and he walked away,growling and shaking his head.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

i appreciate the re-telling of those stories above
actually... i'm sorry for the wording of my title for this thread
UDFs are fine, too
in fact.... this might turn out to JUST BE UDFs as there far less interest in this thread than i expected

again....
i appreciate you posting here.... very much
Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,952
I was coming back home from a spin thru WV and MD. In State College PA I pulled over to refill Barley's water bowl. Within a few seconds we were surrounded by coeds. I was a little annoyed because I was behind schedule and really trying to make up for lost time at previous stops. But when I noticed the view as all these young women bent over to fuss with my dog suddenly all was well with the world. It made me wish I had a helmet cam to capture all the magnificent cleavage being displayed!

Another time in Upstate NY we ended up stopped in a long line of cars awaiting our turn to get thru a construction site. The flagger was letting 5 vehicles thru at a time. I was #17 in line, and patiently waited my turn. It finally came -- the flagger let #16 go then stopped me so she could check out the rig!

Teenaged girls are the worst, though. They all squeal and fuss over Barley, snapping photos with their cell phones and calling their friends while pleading for me to wait for them. "Julie will be here in five minutes! Five minutes!" These days I try to find gas stops without teenagers
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #9
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

oh.... i love those anecdotes above
i look forward to experiencing a few of my own one day soon
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
ak74
hooligan

Oddometer: 13
I get stopped all the time as well. I have to factor in this time delay when running errands. I have a 2010 Triumph Bonneville with a Duna sidecar. The older folks and Harley guys stop to look at and ask questions about the Triumph. It's usually along the line of "What year is it?" or "I had one just like it in the 60's." The younger people and non-motorcyclists are more interested in the sidecar, usually never having seen one.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
I had my best one a couple of weeks ago. While at a gas pump in Southern Mass., an older guy pulls up on a Shadow. He asks me a bit about the Ural and then tells me about when he was a boy in Italy during WWII. A german on a rig similar to mine was rocketing through his village and wrapped his hack around a bridge support right in front of him and his little friends.

I thought it was a good story, and also it was cool that this guy who had to be in well into his seventies was still tooling around on a bike.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,300
I have to say that either of my sidecar rigs draw attention whenever I stop. Last Friday the local hot rod guys got together in Minturn for a little cruising and they invited me along. I was hoping to get some good pictures of the cars but I couldn't get away from the Ural long enough to get any pictures of the cars.

The guy in the drivers seat came up to me and asked if he and his brother could sit on the rig for a picture.

The bike crew getting ready to lead the pack:

I stopped for gas at Copper Mountain on my way home from Denver on Sunday with the GS rig and after I walked out of the building there were 5 mountain bikers hanging around the rig and it took me another 20 minutes to get on the road.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Christopher Lang
Luddite

Oddometer: 44
I have to say, that the sidecar delay factor is as great as when I drive my model T.

I love it, as I'm generally an introvert, and antisocial.

With the Chang, I get "what year is it?", to which I reply, "well, its registered as a '72..." At that point, just like the Ural fellers, I'm interrupted and told that there's no way it could be that new. I also get occasionally really interesting reactions when I say it was made in China. Most people, like me, are fascinated by how Chinese it really is when you look close, the dodgy looking welds etc! Sometimes though, when people find out its from China, they are visibly upset, and walk away in disgust, muttering how its "fake". I think is really funny when this happens.

I always get asked how fast it goes, and people are always surprised by how slow it is. I mean, the Chang doesn't really look like a high speed machine to me!

I really enjoy taking to the people, and hope to someday meet some other local sidecar pilots!

I do like how the sport bike riders wave to me now, and so do the dual sport riders. Previously I've had cruisers, and only other cruiser riders will wave.
Christopher Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak74 View Post
I get stopped all the time as well. I have to factor in this time delay when running errands. I have a 2010 Triumph Bonneville with a Duna sidecar. The older folks and Harley guys stop to look at and ask questions about the Triumph. It's usually along the line of "What year is it?" or "I had one just like it in the 60's." The younger people and non-motorcyclists are more interested in the sidecar, usually never having seen one.
makes sense about which group of folks would be interested in which part of the rig
i appreciate your contribution here
thank you
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I had my best one a couple of weeks ago. While at a gas pump in Southern Mass., an older guy pulls up on a Shadow. He asks me a bit about the Ural and then tells me about when he was a boy in Italy during WWII. A german on a rig similar to mine was rocketing through his village and wrapped his hack around a bridge support right in front of him and his little friends.

I thought it was a good story, and also it was cool that this guy who had to be in well into his seventies was still tooling around on a bike.
how nice of him to relate that story to you.
what a cool moment
thanks for sharing it here