User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
DAKAR 2016 Route Rumors

Less than 11 weeks to DAKAR 2015 and already the 2016 rumors are flying!!

We had a good run last thread, so lets start this one off with this article:

http://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/aut...-2016/14674405

GERONIMOOOOO..... !!

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
Less than 11 weeks to DAKAR 2015 and already the 2016 rumors are flying!!

We had a good run last thread, so lets start this one off with this article:

http://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/aut...-2016/14674405

GERONIMOOOOO..... !!
I like it!!

I´m predicting a North to South Rally in 2016, Colombia (maybe), Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia & Argentina. Finish in BA.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,586
I thought Ecuador was an emphatic 'no'?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I thought Ecuador was an emphatic 'no'?
Yes but they will come around They have to!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Yes but they will come around They have to!
BB,

They have already sent a letter to ASO saying that the EMPHATICALLY want in for 2016!

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
BB,

They have already sent a letter to ASO saying that the EMPHATICALLY want in for 2016!
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 638
Yeah but any British competitors are going to have to check their registration numbers for Argentina if they go "down south"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29581183

Apparently according to the Argentinians Las Malvinas are part of Tierra del Fuego???
Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Yeah but any British competitors are going to have to check their registration numbers for Argentina if they go "down south"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29581183

Apparently according to the Argentinians Las Malvinas are part of Tierra del Fuego???
Yes, they are. Tierra del Fugo is not only an Island, is also a Province, which include southern hemisphere Argentinean island, including Malvinas.
Part of Argentinean Constitution.

The plate issue was a big mistake (mistake?) from Top Gear; and overreaction in Tierra del Fuego, and later overreaction by Top Gear also.
ZequeArgentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 585
Dakar 2016

A bit of new ground would be great for 2016!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 2,069
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina View Post
Yes, they are. Tierra del Fugo is not only an Island, is also a Province, which include southern hemisphere Argentinean island, including Malvinas.
Part of Argentinean Constitution.

The plate issue was a big mistake (mistake?) from Top Gear; and overreaction in Tierra del Fuego, and later overreaction by Top Gear also.

Maybe you can help us understand the issue?

Honest questions here.

The history I've read says that the first Europeans including the UK started claiming the uninhabited islands in the 1600s The current ownership of the islands by the UK happened in 1830 and the Argentinian constitution was written in 1853.

Seems that you can't simply claim a land in your constitution that already belongs to someone else. What am I missing here?

Then there is the issue that the UK allowed the inhabitants to vote on who owned them and they chose to be part of the UK.

Keep in mind, this is the history as I've read it after watching the Top Gear Special. So what am I missing here?
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #11
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post

Honest questions here.

The history I've read says that the first Europeans including the UK started claiming the uninhabited islands in the 1600s The current ownership of the islands by the UK happened in 1830 and the Argentinian constitution was written in 1853.

Seems that you can't simply claim a land in your constitution that already belongs to someone else. What am I missing here?

Then there is the issue that the UK allowed the inhabitants to vote on who owned them and they chose to be part of the UK.

Keep in mind, this is the history as I've read it after watching the Top Gear Special. So what am I missing here?
You're missing the Argentina side of the story, and you're not understanding the Argentina mentality. I love, absolutely love, Argentina, but when it comes to holding a grudge, they're like Cuba. It's taking more than 50 years for Cubans on both sides of the border to stop arguing about normalizing relations, and still, Cuba is off limits to Americans except under certain conditions. Argentina feels like that about the Falklands.

In '82 I was stationed at NETC Newport, RI, when a British ship came in from the Falkland war. It had been hit be an Exocet missile, fired from an Argentina-flown French Mirage. Argentina got its ass handed to them, but they didn't give up easily. They lost, but they're Argentina, so they don't just... lose. They would rather die.

There are still land mines on Tierra del Fuego. For the next time the British invade. (Not that they're going to invade, but don't tell that to Argentina.)

I think that individual Argentinians like everybody. They're the nicest, most beautiful people. But in groups, especially with a little wine, the mob mentality comes quickly. I'm pretty sure they love everybody except the British. If I was British and sending vehicles to Argentina, I would first try to get French plates.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
patagon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post

Honest questions here.

To make a long story short, Argentina started its independence from Spain in1810 and formaly declared it in 1816.
what you are missing is that by1830 there was an argentinean governor and population in Malvinas which was kicked out by the british when they took the Islands. At that time the country was involved in a civil war that ended in 1853 when the contitution was written and the islands were included.

Regarding British citizens visiting Argentina, there are a lot of them traveling Patagonia, etc. having fun with no problems. They just dont go around there making stupid jokes about a war were people died fighting. Since riders participating in Dakar are inteligent persons as Sam Sunderland and others I dont see any issues for them to have a good time here as they already had in the past Dakars held here.

As for the top gear problem they got what they came for. This is not the first time they do this type of stupid thing around the world...

Carlos
NX650
Buenos Aires, Argentina
patagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
patagon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
You're missing the Argentina side of the story, and you're not understanding the Argentina mentality. I love, absolutely love, Argentina, but when it comes to holding a grudge, they're like Cuba. It's taking more than 50 years for Cubans on both sides of the border to stop arguing about normalizing relations, and still, Cuba is off limits to Americans except under certain conditions. Argentina feels like that about the Falklands.

In '82 I was stationed at NETC Newport, RI, when a British ship came in from the Falkland war. It had been hit be an Exocet missile, fired from an Argentina-flown French Mirage. Argentina got its ass handed to them, but they didn't give up easily. They lost, but they're Argentina, so they don't just... lose. They would rather die.

There are still land mines on Tierra del Fuego. For the next time the British invade. (Not that they're going to invade, but don't tell that to Argentina.)

I think that individual Argentinians like everybody. They're the nicest, most beautiful people. But in groups, especially with a little wine, the mob mentality comes quickly. I'm pretty sure they love everybody except the British. If I was British and sending vehicles to Argentina, I would first try to get French plates.
Bananaman, just to clarify. The mine fields you perhaps saw in Tierra del Fuego are remains of a war that did not happen between Argentina and Chile back in 1978. If you traveled the Chilean side you must have seen other mine fields there. Nothing to do with Malvinas.
Regarding bringing vehicles with British plates, the only issue you will have is to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Carlos
NX650
Buenos Aires, Argentina
patagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 2,069
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

Thanks for the Argentinian side of the story. That helps
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #15
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Fyi to South Americans call them the Malvinas.

Guys - Please lets keep the politics out of the racing section.

I´ll let these ones above by because both sides of the story are represented and it might be interesting to some racing fanatics, but going forward I´ll be moving any further political comments to the basement.
Thanks !

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-01-2015 at 10:16 PM