User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
KMS6 OP
Mountains and Motorcycles

Oddometer: 102
Rusty Wallace Racing Experience

Wife purchased a 10 lap session for me for Father's day. Event is coming up Sept 20th. I'm wondering about the "add ons" that they offer:

-extra laps
-ride along laps with a "professional" driver prior to my laps
-video package (in car and external shots)
-insurance - "only" $1000 if I pile up their car vs "actual" damage

My session will be on a half mile oval short track. Anyone who has done this before care to comment? I'm not expecting much but hey it was a gift so I'll try it.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Strombony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
rwr

I would do the ride along. I did the richard petty experiance at mich
and we got the ride along bonus. This will show you the line and how fast you can go into the corner and besides, it was extra time in a fast car and was a gas.

matt
01 ktm 400 mxc
92 RMX 250, blown up!
Strombony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I'm with Strombony; do the ride along. I didn't and took 3 of my laps just finding the line and rythm. I did mine at Kentucky Speedway and had a blast. The spotter did an excellent job of keeping me up on what was happening around me because the ride alongs were going and there were at least 3 teams out doing shake down runs so it was a bit hecktic. I took the insurance. As I was suiting up to drive some guy drove square into the wall in T1. So I was like heading back over to the trailer and signing up.

They have this down to a science and are very efficient; every step like clockwork. It changed my view of NASCAR.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
I was an instructor at Fast Track & RPDE for many years. Going for the ride will give you a better idea of what the car is capable of entering the corner. Biggest issues is getting used to the car wanting to turn left on the straights and understanding the cornering capabilities. Be prepared to steer the car to the right on the straights as well as it feeling like it is bouncing on top off the track. Until the car reaches enough speed to work the suspension it will feel unsettled.

Extra laps... more is always better if you are into it.

Have fun!

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 192
I bought the insurance. Not that I don't trust myself, but I didn't trust the other guys around me.

I was very disappointed in my experience. It was held on a short track and they coned off the turns, so there was no line to learn. The cars were governed down so far that I felt like I was cruising down an expressway, not in a race car on a track. The cars are difficult enough to see out of, but mine was horrible. It had been in a shunt before I got in and the hood was folded in the middle. I had about a 2" slot to look through. The helmets were crap, they take the padding out to put the speakers in, so they flop around and generally feel like they offer zero protection. The speakers were crap. I could only hear the spotter when I was not full throttle down the straight. Face shields scratched up so you have to run with them open.

Maybe I expected too much considering my background. I'm an SCCA autocrosser with experience in a 200+ hp, 1100 pound sports racer. I was by far the fastest guy in my group. The other guys in my group seemed thrilled with their experience. I'm guessing they were the target audience. Racer wannabees that are used to commuting in a minivan.

Conedodger screwed with this post 08-15-2014 at 12:27 PM
Conedodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
KMS6 OP
Mountains and Motorcycles

Oddometer: 102
Thanks for all the replies. I will buy the insurance, and I think I'll show up an hour or more early and see what the prior group is getting to do before I spring for a ride along or extra laps.