Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #286
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
just find some at one of the mail order places and get them over nited to you. Renthal makes them, try Wheeling cycle, Motorcycle Superstore.
Done! Ordered a bunch of junk from rocky mountain atv for delivery tomorrow morning. Ok, now any inmates in new Mexico want to go for lunch?
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #287
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
I've got a good used chain and sprockets but I'm in East Texas. If you can get here I'll help you put them on.
Thanks for offering the parts up. I don't think I can make it that far without loosing a chain. It's stretched Superbad (not the good kind)
Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #288
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Ironically, I am doing a chain a drives today too!! I already had to cut two links out of the chain due it being stretched so badly. Glad you hear you are ok and on the move......Well, will be on the move!
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #289
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I would stick with tubes. The punishment the tires get in the sharp rocky trails of left my rear tire with micro leaks causing me the need to air up every morning after the middle of Nevada.

Not sure if it would've faired better with tubes but all things being equal, tubes and rimlocks are what I would go with. It would take longer to replace or repair a flat, but only on a per instance basis. Having a tire that slowly leaks with no sign of the culprit is not good for the soul on a long term basis.

I like tubliss but would only recommend it if you're racing or the bike is a pure enduro you trailer to and from events. The convenience and advantage disappears with the need for long term reliability through constantly brutal conditions. For the Tat you won't want to run pressures lower than 15 psi, especially if you like hauling ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Simon, what are your thoughts on the Tubliss system after this trip. Still debating on going that route with my WRR. I've read the pro's / con's and I'm curious what your thoughts are?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #290
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Great photo of Venice. Thanks for posting up. Your chain was looking a little loose last we rode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
Ironically, I am doing a chain a drives today too!! I already had to cut two links out of the chain due it being stretched so badly. Glad you hear you are ok and on the move......Well, will be on the move!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #291
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Great photo of Venice. Thanks for posting up. Your chain was looking a little loose last we rode.

You bet man. Yeah, I was having to tighten the chain every 100 miles or so!!! I swap it all out today and once I got the chain off I could bend it sideways almost 180*!! The link was almost halfway worn thru!

Any good stories about the trip from Oregon to New Mexico?
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #292
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
After breaking my chain outside of Gunnison due to it being to tight. Once replaced and installed w/ correct slack I never had another problem w/ chain or sprockets. Not sure if oiling it every tank full helped, but I think it did. Chain and sprockets still look good. From Gunnison to Oregon, and Oregon to home. Lots of miles. Steel sprocket on the Front and rear.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #293
nicholastanguma
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,676
One of the best TAT Ride Reports I've ever read. Easygoing narrative flow, never too longwinded, never confusing or redundant.

But most impressive are the photographs, of course. Amazing the way you can capture huge landscape vistas-literally among the best fotog-on-the-fly skill I've seen! Absolutely, truly GORGEOUS. Your saturation is simply superb.

Are you doing any color correction in post, or are these photos straight from camera?
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #294
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
Great report Simon. I am pretty sure I had the same crash as you. Just into OK right out of AR somewhere. I was hauling ass and it bit me!
Attached Images

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #295
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
How is it going!? you done yet? I want to hear about it when you get back to NY. We will have to get a beer.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #296
simonpig OP
packin' heat

For sure, Daniel. I am 200 miles west of Tulsa and will be back in about 4-5 days. Riding in the rain at this moment and thankful for having the klim gear. It's keeping me dry enough.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #297
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
Ride Report Summary ?

Hey Simon,

Glad you still have the rubber down and traveling safely.

I know that this has probably been asked already and you may have just simply come out and said it, but,

It would be great, if you could put a ride report together once you have finished.

All the do's and don'ts, things that worked and didn't, things you would take or leave, considerations if you were to do it all over again right now, pros and cons.

All the best to you for your final miles, safely home.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #298
AJxr

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
For sure, Daniel. I am 200 miles west of Tulsa and will be back in about 4-5 days. Riding in the rain at this moment and thankful for having the klim gear. It's keeping me dry enough.

how many miles ya got on the ole WR?

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #299
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJxr View Post
how many miles ya got on the ole WR?
Around 18k now. by the time I'm done Around 20k.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #300
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Hey Simon,

Glad you still have the rubber down and traveling safely.

I know that this has probably been asked already and you may have just simply come out and said it, but,

It would be great, if you could put a ride report together once you have finished.

All the do's and don'ts, things that worked and didn't, things you would take or leave, considerations if you were to do it all over again right now, pros and cons.

All the best to you for your final miles, safely home.
Will do. I'll put together a "Reflections" on gear, planning strategy, etc. All of these are of course from my point of view, so if you're not likeminded or have the same needs, timeframe, etc for your trip, it might not be as helpful or relevant.