Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #301
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Will do. I'll put together a "Reflections" on gear, planning strategy, etc. All of these are of course from my point of view, so if you're not likeminded or have the same needs, timeframe, etc for your trip, it might not be as helpful or relevant.
Like minded or not, it can always be good to hear another persons opinion. Many thanks and looking forward to reading your "Reflections".
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #302
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 979
Pissed

100 miles west of Memphis tn and my chain breaks. The chain was a standard non o ring chain, so I'm hoping my o ring masterlink will be ok as a replacement. First time this has happened to me. Not sure what would've caused it. Adjusted the chain after 500 miles but don't think I it was too tight?

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:51 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #303
rgon
explore cordilleras

Oddometer: 141
Thumb

many thanks simon. i love reading your adventure

rgon enjoying san miguel beer while reading your detailed report - from the philippines mabuhay! (longlive)
Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #304
simonpig OP
packin' heat

09/18/11 (The Final Day of the TAT proper)
Daily mileage: Who gives a...
Overall average: Who cares, at this point I don't...

(WAY OVERDUE)

Woke up and got a really late start on the day. Ooops, did it again. Was a bad boy and went past the 11:00am checkout time by like, half an hour. I blame it on this thread.

With the anticipation of Port Orford and completion of this fantastic voyage, this mornings ride was frustrating in that I spent the rest of it and the early afternoon riding up mountains only to not be able to cross over because every road or reroute that I took led me to a dead end. This happened back to back consecutively at the beginning which took out a lot of time. I didn’t stop for lunch either and was subsisting on beef jerky and powerbars.

photo P1010570.jpg

The trail ends abruptly in overgrowth. This happens more than once and I'm definitely NOT going in there.

photo P1010570.jpg

After deciding I had had enough of chasing my tail, I decided to reroute farther along to mile marker 459 – around the railroad tracks. This took me around the side of a mountain on a rocky trail that was chock full of fallen trees, it was obvious this was the right path from the minimal clearings made which allowed a motorcycle to pass. It was a tight squeeze at points which adds to the anxiety level as I continued on. If there as a new tree that was downed the path would be cut short and I would need to backtrack, wasting more time and fuel.

At one point there was a fork in the road, and I took a left but had to turn around to take the right, didn’t waste too much time, but was still vexing. Did I mention earlier, I wanted to make it to Port Orford at a decent hour to enjoy the beach, et cetera. If so, that was the theme of the day.

After getting past that trail, the rest of the ride was weaving around forest roads that were bigger. There would be more reroutes due to a road being shut down by a lumber company. The landscape wasn’t even really that nice since deforestation was taking place. I remember the vegetation next to the road taking on this greyish green color and upon closer inspection, determined that it was the dust coming off the gravel roads and sticking.

photo P1010570.jpg

At one point I come around a corner hauling tail and see a metal fence which induced a long skidmark… on the road. My pants were fine. Chicks and Dudes who like hauling… be careful in Oregon. You have a good chance of winning a headbutt with a barb wire fence, but a metal post will win most everytime.

photo P1010570.jpg

After rerouting several times and depleting fuel, I needed to go north of the trail to Powers, Oregon to gas up. At this point, it was my intention to get the gas, and let the GPS take over to put me on a major road to Port Orford. It was around 5:15 and I had no time to waste if I was to enjoy the setting sun on the ocean.

Arriving in Powers, I pull up to the gas station after a few minutes of wondering if it was open or not, was greeted by the young attendent who asked if I was with the “other guy” on the WRR that stopped in an hour earlier. Apparently, I have been shadowing another TAT rider who was not too far from me. The attendant was into dirt bikes and owned several bikes (xr’s) and spoke of aspirations for riding to South America. He was super friendly and helpful and told me of the quick way to get to the coast. This was the same route he pointed out to the aforementioned WRR shadow rider. I was to take Salmon Creek Rd which turns into Sixes River Road straight to the coast and head south. It cuts the trip in half and is mostly fast sweeping gravel. Really good ride actually, and the most fun I’ve can remember riding in Oregon.

My thoughts as I blasted down the gravel road through the forest was that if the guy ahead is slower and doesn’t have a GPS, maybe I can catch him. Would that not be super lovin awesome? I was pushing and pushing and eventually, I hit the coast highway around 6:15. Rolling into Port Orford, I see a WRR waiting to pull out of a gas station and I know its my shadow. I pull up to greet him, and tell him I was tailing him on the TAT. His name if Zach and it turns out he was actually 2 hours ahead at the gas stop and had arrived around 4:30 and was doing laundry. He mentioned also being lost this morning and having the same idea I did of just trying to complete this thing. We exchange some trip details. Before parting ways and well wishes, I snap a portrait.

The TAT really gets you ripped. See Zach flex those biceps.

photo P1010570.jpg

I head to the beach, and per Zach’s info, I find the the dropoff onto the beach itself.

photo P1010570.jpg

As soon as I hit the soft sand, my rear digs in and I am stuck. Having a look at my tire, there was no way, I was doing a victory lap on that bald mother. Oh well, unless one manages their tire changes, the victory lap will or will not happen.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

I get off and walk down to the water and enjoy the sunset. It was foggy, but the light from the setting sun cast a nice color on the clouds. Thanks for the following. My TAT trip proper comes to an end.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

My lodging for the evening... Castaway By The Sea. Very nice apartment.

photo P1010570.jpg

The rest of the trip is less offroad ride oriented, so not really sure if its relevant to continue on the daily post model as implement previously.

Observation:
Though time consuming, I think it’s really nice that I was able to semi-live report this. Without this thread it would’ve been a more lonesome ride. A man can go crazy with his own thoughts, don't cha know? Thanks for following along.

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:53 AM
Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #305
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,290
Nice trip, followed you the whole way.

You said the rest of the trip isn't as offroad oriented. What did you do on the return? I am questioning the same thing, as I am an East Coaster as well.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #306
Bleary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post

You said the rest of the trip isn't as offroad oriented. What did you do on the return? I am questioning the same thing, as I am an East Coaster as well.
Yeah, Simon, what he said... how are you planning to return?
Bleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #307
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I am in Mississippi now on my way back to NY.

The short of it is that I rode down to San Francisco and saw some friends I hadn't seen in awhile.

And then I rode down the PCH to Los Angeles, saw some friends and had a great time soaking in the Socal vibes. Partied some... ok maybe alot.

Then I rode over to Las Vegas and took in the lights.

And then I rode the interstate through NM, TX, and OK, and here I am, MS.

I may continue an abbreviated post and pictures from each of the days or combination of day... maybe continue the second part of the trip Going for Broke, p.II: The Prodigal Son Returns.

I thought about shipping the bike back early on, but decided the time on the road is nice in letting the TAT and the west coast experience set in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post

Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #308
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Thanks for the rave reviews. There was several times there where I started to pull out the extra tall soapbox and then I thought better of it.

The photos are straight from the camera. I made an incamera adjustment to vivid saturation since thats what I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
One of the best TAT Ride Reports I've ever read. Easygoing narrative flow, never too longwinded, never confusing or redundant.

But most impressive are the photographs, of course. Amazing the way you can capture huge landscape vistas-literally among the best fotog-on-the-fly skill I've seen! Absolutely, truly GORGEOUS. Your saturation is simply superb.

Are you doing any color correction in post, or are these photos straight from camera?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #309
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
The WR can do interstate miles two guys i rode with rode fro Houston to the start, then at the finish one rode to Houston the other went on up to Canada to see his mother, then rode home. He had a total of 10,000 miles on the bike. WR's can do it, but comfort might not be the best. If you ride back you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did the complete ride and didn't wimp out and ship the bike home!!! It was more difficult on the mind and body riding the intertstae home. Well at least for me as I was hauling ass getting home. Well as much as one can at 62 miles mph on the highway!! Feels like hauling ass on a DRZ. It's rough on ya, but hey what's a little pain, earns you bragging rights!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #310
philsb
Gentleman of Leisure

Oddometer: 36
Well done!

I've enjoyed your report immensely. I do envy you Yanks with all the tremendous off-road biking opportunities, we seem to have little here in the UK.

Best regards
Phil
philsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #311
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Your final day getting to Port Orford sounds a lot like this one http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=708138&page=6
Seems to be a bit of a common theme going round in circles in Oregon
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #312
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Thanks for following.

Really? You guys can't go rippin' in the glens. Or thrashing through grottos. You do have close access to all of Europe, Africa, and Asia though, so I'm not feelin' very sorry for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsb View Post
I've enjoyed your report immensely. I do envy you Yanks with all the tremendous off-road biking opportunities, we seem to have little here in the UK.

Best regards
Phil
Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #313
meijer's trails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
standing ovation!

meijer's trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #314
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
Nice job!! Excellent report and pictures. I ran into Zach in Denio, great to see that he made it as well.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #315
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Mabuhay! x 2, Rgon. Hold it down for us in the philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgon View Post
many thanks simon. i love reading your adventure

rgon enjoying san miguel beer while reading your detailed report - from the philippines mabuhay! (longlive)