Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #331
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
> "The chain was a standard non o ring chain, so I'm hoping my o ring masterlink will be ok as a replacement. First time this has happened to me. Not sure what would've caused it. Adjusted the chain after 500 miles but don't think I it was too tight?"

Looking at the chain/rear sprocket combo... looks like the chain is 'out of sync' with the sprocket. Unfortunately replacing new chain/old sprocket or old sprocket/new chain usually means problems. Explains why the roller links were coming off.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #332
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 5,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Has anybody ridden the TAT to the west coast... then turned around and rode it in reverse back to TN? That'd be pretty hardcore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
I could see hanging out on the west coast for a couple of months and then going back by Tat maybe but pulling a Forrest gump and turning back immediately would be masochistic and a bit pointless. Doing it in reverse doesn't make it twice as good.
I can see somebody picking up that gauntlet.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #333
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Oddometer: 861
Both chain and f/r sprockets were brand new though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
> "The chain was a standard non o ring chain, so I'm hoping my o ring masterlink will be ok as a replacement. First time this has happened to me. Not sure what would've caused it. Adjusted the chain after 500 miles but don't think I it was too tight?"

Looking at the chain/rear sprocket combo... looks like the chain is 'out of sync' with the sprocket. Unfortunately replacing new chain/old sprocket or old sprocket/new chain usually means problems. Explains why the roller links were coming off.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #334
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Clip on masterlinks are a liability

After putting about 750 miles on the new chain, I stop at a gas station to fill up, and take a look at my chain to find the clip was once again missing. The plate was still intact and felt solid, so I popped a spare clip back on.

Not sure why the chain didn't fall apart on me. Maybe because it was an o ring type that had to be pressed on? I posted earlier that I lost my clip on the original TAT chain, god knows how far back, and the chain stayed together due to the pin welding itself to the plate.

I'm seriously gonna go with rivet masterlink from now on.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #335
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 812
Spring clips work because if everything is lined up there is no tension on the clip. It only holds the outer link plate on the pins. It has to be that something isn't properly aligned; like you are missing a spacer or something that is putting side stress on the plates causing the spring to pop off. Make sure the sprockets are in the same plane. You may have misplaced a spacer in one of your wheel removals. I have a friend who ran the chain on his KLR for several years a about 10K miles because he just could not get the clip on. He said screw it and rode anyway. Including trips in Big Bend and lots of trail riding. He was lucky that it didn't come apart on him, but it didn't. True story. Bottom line is the spring clip should not be taking a lot of force.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #336
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
There are flat master clips and clips that have a twist, I've found that the flat ones spit off and the ones with a twist stay on. I think it's a DID clip that I've been using that has the twist in it and I don't lose the clip anymore.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #337
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
>"Both chain and f/r sprockets were brand new though?"

That's wierd. DID is good chain. Gotta keep non-'O' ring chain lubed though.
Take a few photos of chain sprocket fit...
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #338
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
I like the rivet style master links. When a clip style is used I put a dab of Silicon on it. I have never lost one! Knock on wood

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #339
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Got back last evening at around 7:30 last night. Life on the road was fun, but with the turning of the leaves and a chill in the air, it felt like the right time to get back to daily life.

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:54 AM
Old 10-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #340
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Congrats,

from New York to Oregon and back,,, an adventure, no always on top of the bike but back with two legs two arms and a ton of photos and great memories.

Well done.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:55 AM   #341
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Well done,that's got to make you feel good inside. I'm hoping to head out from R.I. (solo as well) at some point and wondered how many days total,and was it 2 sets of tires you went through? Cheers
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #342
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
here i was thinking u would stop by in philly, but i dont blame ya, i would love to head back to my bed after a ride like that, stop by sometime in winter....we can have a fire going and some tea :)
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #343
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Hey Rudy, I was sorta inbetween lunch and dinner when I got to the philly area, so I decided to get on to New York. What's the next ride you're doing? I'm getting back in the NY swing of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
here i was thinking u would stop by in philly, but i dont blame ya, i would love to head back to my bed after a ride like that, stop by sometime in winter....we can have a fire going and some tea :)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #344
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Man Reshmi is almost there with the baby, due on thanksgiving, and i hear story from people all the time that they had baby way before the due date, i just did the Scrub Pine Enduro, my first Enduro, it was super fun...

Might swing by one weekend ride to the Pines if thats the most i can do, but i think my season of offroad riding has ended for this year.....next year everything will start back with either Pine Barren or Lawton which ever comes first...
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #345
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Well done,that's got to make you feel good inside. I'm hoping to head out from R.I. (solo as well) at some point and wondered how many days total,and was it 2 sets of tires you went through? Cheers

Dunlop 606's all the way. 2 rear tire changes, 1 front change

TOTAL MILEAGE: 11,293 MILES (60% street/40% dirt)

Observation: (Applies only to WR250R, If you have a big thumper, YMMV)
Dunlop 606s are legendary for a reason. They wear a very long time. Surprisingly if you only do tarmac and gravel, the rear will last you around 8,000 miles. On the other hand, the western desert rocky hardpack wreaked havoc on my tire, with my rear only seeing 5,000 miles.

The front tires wear like iron with my front seeing only 1 change.

If I had to do it over again, I would change my rear tire out in NY, and then again in Moab. The sections that are roughest on your tire is Colorado, Utah, and especially Nevada. You can also do a parade lap on the beach if you change out your rear in Moab, or later.

A brand new front might possibly make it the whole way from NY to Port Orford, I think. Its nice for the east, as the gravel traction is greatly improved. For the west, I don't think it matters as much. That said, having new tires is always nice, so its a matter of how fast you want to go around corners and your personal preference.

Details:

FRONT TIRE
---
NY to Moab, UT: ~3800 miles (on existing front that had about ~5000 miles on it)

Moab UT, to San Francsico, CA to Los Angeles, CA to NY: ~7,500 miles.
Front still has the middle 2 knobs, which go bald before the center or the side knobs.

REAR TIRE
----
NY to MS: ~1800 miles (on a existing rear that already had about 5000 miles on it)
Tire Change: After many gravel and highway miles. Close to being bald.

MS to Port Orford, OR to San Francisco, CA: ~5000 miles
Tire Change: The rear was pretty much bald, and looking super rough with micro leaks

San Francisco, CA to Los Angeles, CA to New York, NY: ~4500
The rear tire is still looking OK, a little more than 1/2 worn.