User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
zoomzu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
My virgin ADV trip

I'm all packed up and ready to head out for the weekend. Me and 2 other inmates: adventuerik and therivermonster are heading to eastern Washington for a few days. No solid plan other than head to Vantage and hit some dirt roads. Might head towards Old Durr. I probably have to much stuff but it's my first trip, and i'll figure it out.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Thumb

Yeah, it looks like you have too much stuff. And packed so you'll learn the hard way like I did.

Only takes a summer of trips and some $$$ to figure it out. Dry bags -- good, loaded up high -- bad.

Comfy to lean on like that, until you hit some sand or deep gravel and want to get further back on the seat. Or get a quality side wind.

That said, you'll have a blast regardless. Figuring it out is part of the fun! Still you've got a way better set up then my Beverly Hillbilly's load on my first ADV trip. Check the pics in my trip in the sig.

Have fun!

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
zoomzu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
Yeah, it looks like you have too much stuff. And packed so you'll learn the hard way like I did.

Only takes a summer of trips and some $$$ to figure it out. Dry bags -- good, loaded up high -- bad.

Comfy to lean on like that, until you hit some sand or deep gravel and want to get further back on the seat. Or get a quality side wind.

That said, you'll have a blast regardless. Figuring it out is part of the fun! Still you've got a way better set up then my Beverly Hillbilly's load on my first ADV trip. Check the pics in my trip in the sig.

Have fun!
I knew I was top heavy, but don't have the $$$ for the saddle bags I want/need. So I go with what I have for now... And paid. My plan is to get some Ortlieb M22 saddle bags and a duffle and get rid of that trunk. keep it simple and the heavy stuff low.

zoomzu screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 05:56 PM
zoomzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
zoomzu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

When I have so real time to go through pics and load them up I'll add them to this RR.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
zoomzu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So we meet up and head east.

On our way make a little Northern Exposure pit stop.

Just about to get our first dirt. About 7mi. west of Vantage.

didn't get a pic but at the bottom of the hill dump it for the first time. I think we deverted from our planned course, made our dirt trrip longer and more interesting.

The first drop for therivermonster.

Here's the second drop for therivermonster

Here's were I drop for the 2nd through 5th time. spun out in some soft stuff. I know i'm not good at all but I had some issues here.

After dropping the fourth time my luggage rack broke and off came the trunk. I had way to much stuff. I wanted to bring that I would need without going to the store,resturant or park. We didn't know where we were going to be staying or if we were going to be by water. Next time i'm paking like adveturerik bare essentials.

Just south of Vantage on the Columbia River took this.

So we find a place to stay for the night. Set up camp.

After the day I had needed to unwind.

Some parts got bent and broke, so need to fix that for tomorrow.

After a much needed swim, sat back and enjoyed the sunset. All in all I may suck at riding but it was still a good day. Nothing major broke
Old 06-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
Thanks for sharing your pics and stories, looks like nice views from the camping area. It looks like fun to me
djvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
WildChildRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Damn that sucks! But like everyone else says it's the best way to learn.

Keep it coming
WildChildRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
zoomzu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So Day 2 we pack up and it's just starting to get wet.

We're at Desert Aire and the grounds keep stops by give us a farewell and let us know about a fund raiser breakfast going on at the airport there. While there this landed.

After breakfast we head to my dirt route for the day.

The plan is to head up Old Durr and explore the area. Heading up this hill I eat it my two fuel tube bust off,broke the fairing and hyper extend my leg. I didn't get any pics of my bike down thought I did. After long thought, I bitch out (I hurt too much to want to deal with what I dont know what ahead. I'm having a hard time just getting on my bike as it is.)

We head to Naches get some food.

Figure out our next plan.

We decide to head west on WA12 and find a place to camp.

We partake in some over price beverages.And filter some water. Thx to therivermonster for taking the time to do so.

Relax by the fire.

The next morning on the way home we head up to some ridge I can't remember the name of.

One last stop for gas, the last leg home.

Definitly have to go back to Old Durr with a lot less crap. I was sad it was over but I was tired and glad I was home too. Thx guys for make this trip memorable.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
adventureduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Nice write-up and pix. Just a plug for your KLR (I just released mine to new owner)... but your opportunities testing theory of gravity...might be lessened with better tire choice. Theres tons of opinions out there, so im not gonna tell you what the best tire is, as that is open to your style, what feels good to you in feedback, % of offroad, type of offroad etc. I cant really tell if you have factory skin or something else, but in either case, a different selection from whatever your running, may help.
I will tell you when i was riding all street...Avon gripsters were great. When i started riding more offroad, they sucked, so I went thru a lot of tires trying different brands/types. (not wanting to go full knobby due to still commuting many miles to work on pavement). Mefo tires (i think german, i think i ordered from klr650.com...who swear by them)...specifically the sport explorers, did very well off road, but still wore decent on road. just what i found i like, but i know the factory tires suck and you end up .
07 R1200GSA
01 Polaris sportsman 500 (in case i need 2 more wheels)
adventureduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
zoomzu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduc View Post
Nice write-up and pix. Just a plug for your KLR (I just released mine to new owner)... but your opportunities testing theory of gravity...might be lessened with better tire choice. Theres tons of opinions out there, so im not gonna tell you what the best tire is, as that is open to your style, what feels good to you in feedback, % of offroad, type of offroad etc. I cant really tell if you have factory skin or something else, but in either case, a different selection from whatever your running, may help.
I will tell you when i was riding all street...Avon gripsters were great. When i started riding more offroad, they sucked, so I went thru a lot of tires trying different brands/types. (not wanting to go full knobby due to still commuting many miles to work on pavement). Mefo tires (i think german, i think i ordered from klr650.com...who swear by them)...specifically the sport explorers, did very well off road, but still wore decent on road. just what i found i like, but i know the factory tires suck and you end up .
Thanks I'm running Shinko 705's for tires. They seem to work pretty good. My problem is my inexperience, when I was heading up the hill I was sitting on my seat just cruising up, I'm sure I should've been off the seat putting my weight forward. I think I would've made it up then.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
JayhooRay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thumb Oh Yes...

I got lucky, my KLR came to me with 5000 miles on it and every farkle ever made. And TKC80's. I ran Shinko 700's last summer because I knew I was going to do a LOT of miles and I didn't want to wear out the expensive nobs on slab. The 700's are good but kinda small. At least they are cheap. But TKC80s are the shiznit. Super solid on the road and great in gravel and soft stuff. And that's where you fall down...so buy yourself some good rubber if you can...before you really hurt something! Plus they look totally bad ass.

Crash bars are nice and usually all that happens when the bike naps is that your ego gets scratched...

Final unsolicited n00b to n00b advice: I have a happy trails rack with Pelican boxes on it... If I had $500 I'd buy myself a GiantLoop bag. If you go to their site you can see my KLR in a little before/after shoot I did with them.
Keeps the weight to a minimum and down low.

Personally I laugh when I see CL ads for KLRs that have never been on dirt and don't have a scratch or more than a few miles on them. I almost dropped mine twice yesterday...those suckers are top heavy and just plain heavy. But eventually you'll be able to ride crazy stuff on it!

So congrats on getting out there!

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know. It's my own damn fault.

'06 Dakar
JayhooRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,283
Great stuff. Love camp shots, beer in the river. Brings back many memories. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:17 AM   #13
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
on your first trip & ride report.

AfricaWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
Goride
ISR adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Love this story! Good pictures!

Keep riding and bring more reports!
Goride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Excellent work, zoomzu! Keep at it- it takes a while to get stuff sorted out. Glad you had a good time- thanks for sharing.
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote