User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Bar riser for an R100RS

Anyone done it? I am short, about 5'8" so am leaned way over since the tank is pretty long. I am JUST short (no pun intended) with the bars rolled forward as far as they can go or being it the perfect position, but am still thinking if the bars were an INCH higher off the top clamp, I would be in a perfect comfortable (more so) seating position for longer rides. Lets hear the fixes!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,615
Well, no... but I did put K75S bars onto my R100RS and ran those with no other changes and no issues.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
If you want to try a set before you buy some, PM me and I can send a set over. cost you the shipping. If you like them then you can buy them. The'll be cheap as they need paint.
It IS a pretty popular set up.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
I have my old handlebard which have a lot of rise.

I'll drop them off later.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsesino View Post
I have my old handlebard which have a lot of rise.

I'll drop them off later.
I leave for Lucha (not Lunche) at 13:00. But if you want to come up be here at lunch and we can go eat and then I have to go to Lucha Libre and engineer cameras.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Rox makes all kinds of risers. Had them on my G/S.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
L.A. Woman
angel collector

Oddometer: 5,546
Glad I found this thread. I am looking at changing out my bars too. I want something a little more cruiser style. I have stock bars on an R80/7 . They have a 4 inch rise but I seem to be in a bad position. I am 5'7" tall. Being a girl my legs are longer than my torso. It was suggested I look at RT bars. Anybody else have any suggestions? What are these risers you speak of?
Hope I am not intrudung SniperX.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,200
i found a pair of bar backs,and added the k75s bars and it is a very comfortable fit.you are welcome to try mine.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
word1
I'm working on it...

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Anyone done it? I am short, about 5'8" so am leaned way over since the tank is pretty long. I am JUST short (no pun intended) with the bars rolled forward as far as they can go or being it the perfect position, but am still thinking if the bars were an INCH higher off the top clamp, I would be in a perfect comfortable (more so) seating position for longer rides. Lets hear the fixes!
Yup. Been There, Did That many years ago - even though I'm 6'6".

I really like the RS bar, so here's what I did:

...here you can see some of the problems which can happen:

I felt compelled to futz around with the instrument cluster mounting bits to make myself happy, and the steering damper adjusting knob can end up in-between the bar backs. It's too wide to fit there, so some peeps just remove the knob (and/or damper) but I chose to trim the knob until it fit. It's (a lot) harder to turn, but you usually don't adjust it that often. I also had to shorten the rod which goes down through the steering stem because now the knob fits under the handle bar.

I couldn't find a satisfactory way to mount the "crash pad" so I just left it off. I had no problems with throttle or brake cable length (I have a '78 with the under-tank MC) but long ago I think I fitted a S model clutch cable, so I can't say for certain if the RS clutch cable length is OK. But I bet it is...

It ends up working just fine:

...and the riding position is better for someone with a shorter reach... or someone who is tired of leaning forward.

All in all, I wonder if the K75S bar is a much easier way to get to a real similar riding position?

FWIW, after lots of testing I'm back to dead stock and happy, but I still have the bar-backs and the cut-down knob, if'n you want to experiment.

_jay
If it breaks, Repair it.
Repeat.
word1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,448
I ran r65ls low bars on both my rs's, they worked great, a tad wider and a tad higher. the ls bars are different than the s bars, which hit the fairing I believe.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #11
carpetburn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
i ran k100rs bars with bar backs, very comfortable for touring but bike handles better[corners] with r100rs bars
carpetburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:03 AM   #12
Vibrolux
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Bar Back's

I've got a pair of bar backs that I'd sell if anyone's uinterested. I'll hav'e to check online to see what a fair price would be for them.
jeff
xfire@starpower.net
Vibrolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #13
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Woman View Post
Glad I found this thread. I am looking at changing out my bars too. I want something a little more cruiser style. I have stock bars on an R80/7 . They have a 4 inch rise but I seem to be in a bad position. I am 5'7" tall. Being a girl my legs are longer than my torso. It was suggested I look at RT bars. Anybody else have any suggestions? What are these risers you speak of?
Hope I am not intrudung SniperX.
Flanders makes a pullback style bar for BMWs...the one they have on their site is the D-22. It's called the narrow sweptback. I actually managed to find a set of D-21 wide sweptback bars on Ebay. My problem is arthritis in my lower back that makes it uncomfortable to lean forward...I can sit up straight with the new bars. There was just enough cable length with my stock /6 cables to fit the bars.
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
I used the RS bars for one trip and took them off and installed S bars. I sawed off about 3/4" from the ends to fit inside the cockpit and it was able to turn lock to lock.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
L.A. Woman
angel collector

Oddometer: 5,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdog View Post
Flanders makes a pullback style bar for BMWs...the one they have on their site is the D-22. It's called the narrow sweptback. I actually managed to find a set of D-21 wide sweptback bars on Ebay. My problem is arthritis in my lower back that makes it uncomfortable to lean forward...I can sit up straight with the new bars. There was just enough cable length with my stock /6 cables to fit the bars.
Thank you! (I have arthritis in my neck and lumbar region as well) I've seen a few things on ebay I'm looking into. Also have been studying the flanders site. I think I'll go down to cycle gear and look at them. I need a good visual.
Thank you again.