User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
KLR back from the dead? Hopefully, yes.

I've been looking for a KLR for a while now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689739

I wanted to get a project bike (I do this as a hobby, actually addiction is a better word). So, I combined my 2 desires and have acquired a very sad 2000 KLR650. It is truly a sad little motorcycle. It was crashed about 3 years ago and shortly thereafter the PO parked it under a pole barn and left it to rot. I got an okay deal, but not smoking; however, time will tell on how good of a deal or not.

The crash damage appears to be light. The biggest thing I can see is the frame is cracked right in front of the mount point for the sub-frame assembly. The crack is hairline and does not appear to be serious. I think a skilled welder (not me) could take care of it with relative ease. I also think the sub-frame itself is slightly bent sideways. However, it's so slight that further inspection and dis-assembly is required.

The bigger issue is the weather damage from sitting uncovered exposed to the elements for 3 years. Fortunately, it came from a dry climate, so I hoping that will also be minimal.

I just got it, so I don't know where it all stands right now. The PO said it ran fine when he parked it. He just got tired of it and drank some orange koolaid (that he ended up hating).

My goal is to assemble a bike that I can ride the TAT or Great Divide Trail on, with comfort. Time will tell all.

I'm not much on build reports, so I'll try, but it might be thin. I'll try to keep progress posted as I go.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I've been looking for a KLR for a while now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689739

I wanted to get a project bike (I do this as a hobby, actually addiction is a better word). So, I combined my 2 desires and have acquired a very sad 2000 KLR650. It is truly a sad little motorcycle. It was crashed about 3 years ago and shortly thereafter the PO parked it under a pole barn and left it to rot. I got an okay deal, but not smoking; however, time will tell on how good of a deal or not.

The crash damage appears to be light. The biggest thing I can see is the frame is cracked right in front of the mount point for the sub-frame assembly. The crack is hairline and does not appear to be serious. I think a skilled welder (not me) could take care of it with relative ease. I also think the sub-frame itself is slightly bent sideways. However, it's so slight that further inspection and dis-assembly is required.

The bigger issue is the weather damage from sitting uncovered exposed to the elements for 3 years. Fortunately, it came from a dry climate, so I hoping that will also be minimal.

I just got it, so I don't know where it all stands right now. The PO said it ran fine when he parked it. He just got tired of it and drank some orange koolaid (that he ended up hating).

My goal is to assemble a bike that I can ride the TAT or Great Divide Trail on, with comfort. Time will tell all.

I'm not much on build reports, so I'll try, but it might be thin. I'll try to keep progress posted as I go.
Does not look to be in bad shape, I look forward to the build report and lots of pics, I'm ready for another fun project myself.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
NCJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Kevinhooa
Pitch pine slalom

Oddometer: 420
+1
Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's some more pictures of the before, including a close up of the frame crack. Welding advice will be accepted. I don't weld, at least not well, so I will have to take it to a pro, so I'm more than open to tips, things to look for, or techniques, etc.

This is a scuff from the crash that damaged the frame.

From what the PO told me, he rode the bike like a motard in some curvy stuff. He laid it too far over on the left side, caught the peg (which broke), flipped him off and over. The bike came down onto the right side and slid to a stop. The bike had/has soft luggage racks (unknown make) and that protected the side panel and muffler, but I also suspect it was so stiff that it caused the impact energy to be transmitted to the frame mount point.

(He wasn't hurt, dusted himself off, and kept riding. He didn't find the frame damage for some time and only when he took the tank off for maintenance.)

The total damage from the crash appears to be both rider foot pegs, water pump cover scrap, ride side passenger foot peg, bent handle bars, scraped throttle tube, frame crack, and slightly bent sub-frame. All in all, the damage doesn't look that bad considering how hard it must have hit the pavement.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Hey! It came with a free spider Good looking project bike. Looking forward to updates.

Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent View Post
Hey! It came with a free spider Good looking project bike. Looking forward to updates.
Lots of spiders actually. I had to spray with bug killer, let it sit overnight, spray it again, and then pressure wash it.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Appart from sun damage on the plastics it does not look bad at all.
I had a cracked subframe that I took a guy I know who runs a custom exhaust place. He cut a "V" in the crack, welded it, cleaned the weld and after spraying the frame you cannot even see it.

AfricaWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
LndCrsr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
How many miles showing on the odometer and if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for your new project?
Just curious...also, did you get anything else in the deal? Accessories? Farkles?

Thanks for sharing and good luck!
This could be good and I'll be watching.

Cheers!
LndCrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,406
If it was me in that condition I would just part it out.

Oh and I would buy the side covers for mine from you

just kidding.........................fix it and ride it. but I need those covers

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
Sweet.i like a good build.........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,105
.. in ..

.. love to see a good resurrection ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Gray_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
That frame crack is quite a common problem on KLRs. It is not likely to have been caused by the accident but more likely by being overloaded with rider, passenger and luggage then ridden over a bad road.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
My plastic looks like that and I ride it everyday! Add a few stickers, kind of like lipstick on a pig!
Check the battery, clean the carb, weld the frame, add fresh gas , ride the crap out of it! Well you may want to fix the foot pegs.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndCrsr View Post
How many miles showing on the odometer and if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for your new project?
Just curious...also, did you get anything else in the deal? Accessories? Farkles?

Thanks for sharing and good luck!
This could be good and I'll be watching.

Cheers!
It came with SS brake lines and soft luggage racks. Otherwise it was bone stock with 29k on the clock. It even had the Kommiefornia smog junk still in place. The PO said he was the second owner and had it for some time. He didn't believe in the hoopla about the Doo, so he didn't do it. Well, it cut loose and did some damage. He repaired it and replaced the Doo.

I over paid, but it is, what it is. $700. BUT, if all I see so far is wrong and there are no hidden surprises, then I did okay.

Thanks Brian for checking in and others for the encouragement.

Here's a couple of pictures of the after clean up with the pressure washer.

(Still finding live spiders )

No bad so far. The battery is completely toasted and I found an old mouse nest in the airbox. Fortunately, the mouse chewed into the air filter, but not through it.

I pulled the spark plug and it's burning a little rich, but otherwise looks good. I assume that is from the completely clogged old and nasty stock air filter (probably original). The radiator/anti-freeze looks good, no choco mess. I drained the oil and pulled the filter. I examined both carefully and they looked great. The filter especially looked surprisingly good and clear of debris.

I pulled the carb off and took it apart. It was really good and clean. He left the inlet hose off and it was completely clogged with mud but that wasn't a bad thing, in that it formed a barrier and protected the internals of the carb.

More to come...................