Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
Snivly Dweeb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I see a lot where I am.

Three issues that they have going for them is

1-Quebec has the some of the strictest motorcycle license restrictions on the continent, it takes about 2 seasons to get your full permit,however someone with a standard auto license only has to do an 8 hour course to get certified for one.

2-Most 2 wheel riders are on average not impressed but from what I hear the market they are targeting is the atv/snowmobile rider that apparently makes up 50 percent of their sales.

3-There are a lot of people that won't even look at a motorcycle, suprisingly even my wife thought of a test drive.

Price wise not cheap ,but the base models are about the same as an R1200RT, FJR,ST1300 range.

Snivly in Montreal
Snivly Dweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,703
If it's a way for her or you or her and you to enjoy more road time. . . I don't see the downside.

They ride like a road-going snowmobile. Which isn't a bad thing. Getting some leverage to the rear and getting a bit of a slide seems like fun.

But good Gawd are they fugly. Looks like some designer said 'lets see how much styling we can slather on one vehicle'. It makes a three wheeled Goldwing look downright svelte!

But if it lights her candle, that's all that counts. .

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
A lot of people are afraid of riding street bikes. The spyder will give them a similar experience. When your on a spyder you still get that feeling of being outdoors. Go for it!
fwlslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
The rotax may only be a 990 that is being asked to move a large platform, but INFERIOR to what?? And why are you YELLING

Cheers
yeah...
not sure why i was yelling
too many caps... i know
the funny thing is... we have a dealer here in my area... Barney's Cycles...
and the guy who runs the place is a friend of mine
i visit there quite a lot... always sitting on one whenever i'm in the showroom
that top-of-the-line version is ridiculously over-priced in MY estimation
but.... they sell every single one they bring in
and i'll never understand why... but, only because of the price
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
I wasn't too fond of them until five or so of them showed up at the Chelan Sidecar rally. I got interested. Then I had breakfast with a fellow who has the RT (I think). He said he's owned lots of bikes including three Gold Wings and a Harley tourer. Says that he is far less fatigued at the end of the day after riding his Can Am than he was after a day on a Gold Wing. He was also pulling a trailer.
I am glad a market has surfaced for them. I disagree with the sentiment that they are for people who cannot ride a bike.
Indeed they are expensive, but so is a 1200 GS with a DMC or CSM tub attached.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #21
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
She decided that the Aprilia Mana GT was not for her so I took it to San Jose BMW for them to sale...

She has decided that she wants a Can Am Spyder after spending some time on one at the dealer in Prescott Valley, Az. She took to it like a Duck takes to water. I thought it was great also, a lot of fun.
Then, you've satisfied the ONLY critical criteria: SHE likes it!

I think the CanAm for Mz Pam a BRILLIANT idea.

As the ladies say, about their gowns, dresses, and fashion accessories, it's HER!

As a wine steward might say, "Excellent choice, Sir!"

A good fit; I'm sure she'll have a ball on the Spyder on your forthcoming rides.

Finallly, you say,
Quote:
. . . she is more than worth it.
End of story!
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #22
redflasher
Baltika Lover

Oddometer: 148
I looked at them awhile back. The tricked out version is going for around $28K here in Minnesota. If I lived down south, I'd probably buy one and have a little car as backup transportation. But here in the frozen Northland the riding season is way to short for that kind of investment. And the touring trailer for them goes for $4K additional.
redflasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #23
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
There seems to be a successful adoption rate out there for a new, expensive design, in an unproven market. I hope they are successful, other manufacturers get in the game, and the price drops.
I bet my wife would love one but at 28 large she won't find out.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #24
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
My wife loves hers. She has an RS-S and now she keeps thinking maybe she should have gotten an RT.

I find it a lot more work to ride in the twisties than a motorcycle but in town or on the interstate (or in Kansas) it's much less tiring. It got her back to riding so I'm good with that. Don't think I'd get one for me unless I couldn't hold up a two wheeler any more.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #25
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Different horses for different courses.

Not my type of bike, but if it gets more people interested in motorcycling, its all good.
2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #26
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
My wife loves hers. She has an RS-S and now she keeps thinking maybe she should have gotten an RT.

I find it a lot more work to ride in the twisties than a motorcycle but in town or on the interstate (or in Kansas) it's much less tiring. It got her back to riding so I'm good with that. Don't think I'd get one for me unless I couldn't hold up a two wheeler any more.
My situation is similar, and my wife says she could handle one of these. I had her try learning to ride on a small Honda several years ago, and she cannot pick her feet up and put 'em on the pegs without looking!

The Can-Am is way beyond our funding, and I am not into snowmobiles ... so a sidecar rig is where we are headed, and mostly with my wife in mind.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #27
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post

how's the power band of the engine at hwy speeds, and passing on 2 lane roads, from the perspective of a sport touring motorcycle rider?

I was less than impressed with the semi automatic version; when prompted to shift, the shifting is abrupt and almost gives you whiplash (exaggeration), maybe they improved it since. I'd stick to manual shifting.

For someone not comfortable on 2 wheels, this comes close to simulating the riding experience and you easily become confident on it. But it's a lot of physical work in the corners, if you ride aggressively, you really have to lean into the curve to counteract the G-forces. Snowmobilers will be familiar with the ride right away.

An inline 4 or V4 would be awesome in this machine.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #28
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
Hey Dean! If it makes her happy, the decision is easy. At our house when Mama's happy, everybody's happy.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
Deans BMW OP
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,087
First, thanks for moving this to Hacks.

The Aprilia mana GT was a fantastic motorcycle, I loved riding it, the auto tranny was the attraction for her. the problem with her is that she kept "tumping" over when she came to a stop. As we have two ATV's, a 500 HO Polaris and a 650 Brute Force Kaw, she is comfortable and a great rider on these. The Spyder we tried out has power steering and was a blast, hell I enjoyed the heck out of it. the literature claimed 100 HP and seemed peppy enough, it got to 70 very quickly.

Re the cost.........yes a lot, but much less than the Goldwing or Harley trikes you see out there. The Spyder is much more stable than these trikes and a lot easier to ride.

Yes my new K1600GT is more than outstanding.

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW

Deans BMW screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 10:01 AM
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
Did you already buy it? Have her take it on a test ride over a rough road with a tall crown on it. If she still wants it afterwards....go nuts. The snowmobile on asphalt metaphor is very accurate.

I rode/drove the first generation one on a typical New England road and thought it required a ton of steering input. It felt like it needed attention 101% of the time and it wasn't a very relaxing experience. I was also annoyed I couldn't do donuts on it. The electronic nannies were very intrusive.

The new ones may be completely different.
Last time I tried them out, I first rode a manual and it did require a lot of attention and was affected a lot by the road crown. At the halfway point we stopped and switched 'bikes', and I got on an automatic model. It tracked straight as an arrow and was not really affected by the road crown. I suspect careful attention needs to be paid to the alignment settings to get the steering characteristics you want.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote