Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #31
Deans BMW OP
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Last time I tried them out, I first rode a manual and it did require a lot of attention and was affected a lot by the road crown. At the halfway point we stopped and switched 'bikes', and I got on an automatic model. It tracked straight as an arrow and was not really affected by the road crown. I suspect careful attention needs to be paid to the alignment settings to get the steering characteristics you want.
The automatic one you ended up riding had the power steering.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #32
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,435
I want one with a blown motor. I have a spare Hayabusa motor just sittin.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #33
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
I want one with a blown motor. I have a spare Hayabusa motor just sittin.
oooooooooooooo
that would be AWESOME
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #34
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Get mamma what she wants. If mamma ain't happy...ain't nobody happy.

End of story.

Btw...I owned a Spyder Roadster and really enjoyed it for what it was. The snowmobile analogy is right on. But I sold mine because I personally preferred the more graceful ride of a motorcycle.

BTW#2.....I think they all have "power steering".
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #35
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
how's the power band of the engine at hwy speeds, and passing on 2 lane roads, from the perspective of a sport touring motorcycle rider?

I was less than impressed with the semi automatic version; when prompted to shift, the shifting is abrupt and almost gives you whiplash (exaggeration), maybe they improved it since. I'd stick to manual shifting.

For someone not comfortable on 2 wheels, this comes close to simulating the riding experience and you easily become confident on it. But it's a lot of physical work in the corners, if you ride aggressively, you really have to lean into the curve to counteract the G-forces. Snowmobilers will be familiar with the ride right away.

An inline 4 or V4 would be awesome in this machine.
Actually it has plenty of power at highway speeds. A comparison to my V-Strom would be apt - similar engines only the Spyder is geared lower. Or perhaps better put, it has no 6th gear and 5th is very like 5th on the Strom. Anybody who's ridden the Strom knows that you really could ride around all the time in 5th!

The semi-auto tranny actually requires a little technique to shift smoothly. Up shifting (at least on hers) DON'T release the throttle. Down shifting, same thing. Different (yet again!) from a motorcycle.

I find it tracks straight and true, but you have to resist the urge to fiddle with it when it bobs side to side due to road irregularities.

It's no Connie 14, but it's fast enough for her - in fact she has yet to come close to needing more. I usually ride my DR-650 when she's on it, if that's any indication!
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #36
jamajo
third wheel

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
The automatic one you ended up riding had the power steering.
They all have power steering.

I've been riding one for three years - actually on my second one now. I love it. I have four other two-wheelers, and I put ten times the miles on the spyder. It's fast enough that I can beat hubby off the line when he's on his HD. I've had it over 100 a couple of times - effortlessly. I loved it in the Arkansas twisties, too.

Two things, though -
I had the manual on the first one and wish I'd gotten it on the second one instead of the electronic shift.
And -
Be prepared to talk to EVERYONE about it, or park it and run away before the crowd gathers.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
jamajo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #37
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamajo View Post
Be prepared to talk to EVERYONE about it, or park it and run away before the crowd gathers.
This.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #38
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
a buddy of mine test rode one a couple of years ago. he bought a Miata instead.
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #39
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 695
Tossing this out there.... Still get the leaning fun:

http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.h...erview/mp3-500
Renegade_Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #40
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,672
Competition in the wings?

GC Taurus - 4 cylinder powerplant and built by Grueter & Gut Tecnik of Switzerland.

GG Taurus Reverse Trike from GG Technik of Switzerland

Quote:
Since the 175 hp, 6 speed Taurus would be the pricier trike, most casual riders looking for a reverse trike would most likely opt for the Can Am, but, for those who can't be seen on what anyone else is riding, who have to be a little bit faster and are willing and able to pay for the experience, the Taurus would be pretty sweet. There's no indication this is coming stateside
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #41
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
wow...
that is ONE COOL MACHINE:

thanks for the link
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #42
wxman25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Cry opinion from owner

my wife and i own an RT model. we have put 1700 miles on it and i still have a sportbike z1000. this bike isn't bad but IMHO it is underpowered. that being said above 95 it is a little scary it topped out at about 102 with both of us on it. i wished it acceled faster. Also we have a very low production number RT and we have had a lot of problems with it all types and of all natures. also the fuel mileage is about 27-33mpg and the needle and fuel light comes on when theirs still 2.7-2.9 gallons left in the tank. so your stopping every 100 miles.Bad for a touring bike. There is a reason they don't let you take it on the hiway during a test drive at most dealerships, you probally won't buy it after. it is a good concept and i know it sounds like i'm bashing it but it could be better for the price you pay. I think it is a great choice for someone who can't ride a two wheeled bike. if you still own a two wheeled bike you will gravitate toward the two wheeled bike because you feel more comfortable. I will get bashed i'm sure but thats my opinion and i will stand by it.
wxman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #43
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Pretty much concur. As I said before it's not a motorcycle it's a Spyder. We have the RS not the RT but it is a hoot to ride - it's just not a motorcycle. There's a reason I usually follow the wife on my DR650 and not the ZRX or the DL1000 (and never the ZX-6!). She's pretty slow with it but she's to the point now where, even in the canyons, she doesn't hold up normal traffic. When I ride it I don't hold up traffic and I have to watch for the police! Kind of fun trying to out think the traction control....

We have had zero problems with ours. It does get crummy fuel mileage (about 35mpg) and the warning light comes on too soon.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #44
jamajo
third wheel

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman25 View Post
my wife and i own an RT model. we have put 1700 miles on it and i still have a sportbike z1000. this bike isn't bad but IMHO it is underpowered.
I agree, as far as the RT. It's too much vehicle for 1000cc. The RS, however, is a ton of fun with enough power and torque to entertain me, anyway. Just had it to Arkansas and S Missouri last weekend. No problem keeping up with hubby on his Goldwing in the twisties. In fact, I had to keep from running over him a few times, but don't tell him that!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
jamajo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #45
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
The Spyder

I have a replaced hip and am still on two wheels, but the other one is not long for this world (maybe 5 years). Once both hips are after market the Can Am is my choice.. I still have a few years but I know what my future holds.

-Peter
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote