User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
esblow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
El Salvador Rocks!

My girlfriend and I are in El Salvador right now on a Central American trip and unfortunately I had to sell my two bikes to afford to come down here. I know what your thinking, maybe I could have brought one of the bikes and not the girlfriend to save money for the trip. But things being what they are I've had a really good time down here except for the fact that this place is a dual-sporters paradise and I have no bike! I even ran into Luke in Flores, Guatemala (aka Fishfund) which made my need for a bike ride even worse. It was driving me crazy not having a bike until I got down Playa Tunco in El Salvador. There beach village here is great, but I found this guy named Guillermo who owns a motorcycle tour outfit right outside of town called Moto Tour El Salvador.

Guillermo's Garage.

So I finally got the ok from the girlfriend to spend the money on a ride and it was worth every cent. The riding here is fan-effen-tastic. Guillermo used to be a pro motocross rider down here and now takes people out on rides through the mountains and coffee plantations in the area. The ride was awesome! Being a rider from Central Florida the terrain here was challenging, but Guillermo tought me alot and we had no shortage of dirt trails to follow. Some dual track, some single. I rode the KLZ250 he had, and he supplied all of the rest f the gear. Man, the KLZ is such a sweet ride and the gearing was perfect for the inlclines, up and down. Guillermo is a really cool guy that speaks great English, and by the time we stopped for lunch it was like riding with one of my buddies back home. After the ride Guillermo showed me the house he is finishing for motorcycle tourists, that will be complete with a/c and a pool not 5 minutes from the beach.

Guillermo.

The view.

I hope this doesnt sound like a shameless plug for a company, I just thought people should know that El Salvador really is a cool place to visit, and there is a cool place to stay and ride just 40 minutes south of the airport.

My KLZ

Some two-track

He's quick to grab your camera for you and snap some pics.

Break time.

Back at the playa.

Beer break.

The house is almost finished, and the hammock is up.

The view of Playa Tunco from the house.

And back at the shop.

If you've ever been down here before let me know what you thought of it and if there is more of the same sort of dual-sport tours south of here.

Cheers,
Eric

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
1983 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia
esblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
ruedaloca
just me

Oddometer: 446
Hi Eric, El Salvador is a great country, very little but very complete of places with different ambiances, mountains with rain forest at 2000 meters over the sea level...and at only 100 kms you can find the beach, IMO volcanos are the better sight views, I see in your pics that you haven't go to the West side... like Apaneca, Ataco...together are called "ruta de las flores" ...a great trip to do IMO !!

Moto tours ...uhm maybe not too much, or I haven't hear of them.

Is your girlfriend salvadoreña ?? may you say why did you choose to visit El Salvador? right now and for a few time ago, it is not the first option to visit at Central America.

You're welcome, and enjoy El Salvador !!
Looking for a house or apartment at El Salvador ? your solution is here !!
ruedaloca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
esblow OP
Adventurer

Still looking for more motorcycle tours/rentals in C.A.

I did make it to Ruta del Flores, but not on a bike. It would be nice there though.

And no, my girlfriend and I are both from the States, we're doing a Central America trip. Started in Tulum, Mexico and working our way down to Panama. So far El Salvador has been our favorite place.

Riight now we're in Leon, Nicaragua and I'm still looking for another place to rent a bike or go for another tour/ride. If anyone knows of a good place to rent a bike in Central America please let me know, the dirt roads down here are calling my name. I'd prefer it wasnt a Chinese bike, but Beggers cant be choosers.

After this we'll be heading to Granada, Nicaragua then San Juan del Sur before we cross into Costa Rica. If there are any riders out there that need assistance with anything around here, or info about the areas I'll be in let me know if I can be of any help.

Happy Riding,
Eric

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Yes it Rocks

Looks like i missed everyone..... I was there at the same time. However , up north of there in Lourdes / Santa Ana area with my Moto Beta trials bike .

Say, Guillermo is an EXCELLENT rider. Looks like he has more bikes now.
I will maybe ,maybe be back down for 4th of July or Labor Day.

Saludos to all my friends there.
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,285
Anybody have a clue about how long I can keep a bike in El S?I plan on staying long term.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 307
Guillermo is a great rider and mechanic, and a cool guy !!!

I think ES gives you 60 days permit, but you could go back to any border wich should be close our country being so small to get another 60 days !!!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
karmatourer
STD free

Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97
Guillermo is a great rider and mechanic, and a cool guy !!!

I think ES gives you 60 days permit, but you could go back to any border wich should be close our country being so small to get another 60 days !!!
Thanks m97.If I ship the bike from Miami-how bad will I get hit at aduana?I can't ride it down via MX since I never returned my TVIP last year,so shipping is the only option.
TIA
Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 307
You can contact a customs agent, I think is doable, I found this one

info@logisticsuite.net

also you can contact TACA Cargo for air transpor to El Salvador
Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
karmatourer
STD free

Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97
You can contact a customs agent, I think is doable, I found this one

info@logisticsuite.net

also you can contact TACA Cargo for air transpor to El Salvador
Thanks again. I just sent them an e-mail.
Slightly OT-since I retired after 32 years in the airline industry-some in Miami-we used to call TACA-Take A Chance Airlines-before they gained a good reputation.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
esblow OP
Adventurer

Travel Visas in the C.A. 4

Hey karmatourer, I'm not sure about vehicles, but I know for sure that if you're traveling to El Salvador you'll be entering the CA 4, which is a travel agreement between Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua. Basically the deal is that as soon as you enter any of those countries you can stay in the CA 4 for up to ninety days and you only have to pay the one entry fee. As for as renewing after ninety days you'd either have to leave the CA 4 for three days (by going to Mexico or Costa Rica) or go to an immigration office and fill out some paperwork. I'm in Costa rica now and just went through all that. But like I said, I dont know if its different when a vehicle is involved.

On a different note, I'm in Samara, CR right now and found another place to rent a motorcycle. $30 for a 24 hour period. It was just a little 125 Yamaha, and it was no dualsport, but I treated it like one. The riding here is great. Plenty of dirt trails to isolated beaches and as many river crossings as you can handle. It is the beginning of rainy season after all. I made a short video that day, mostly on the street though.

I have seen a few decent dualsports for sale down here, but nothing worth paying what the asking prices are. Even though there's lots of them down here, even the Chinese bikes are pricey. And I'm definitely not getting another one of them.

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
It is a small world. Chango just keeps turning up... in the Texas hill country, on a BMW rig with sidecar, just like mine...giving me tips on the lesser known roads and springs in the desert of Big Bend....

And now, when I am looking for a place to rent motorcycles near the town I am building my surf shack in El Salvador, he knows the proprietor of the local motorcycle dual sport rental company.

Small world, if Chango ever comes back from Metz (a nice small town in France, where inconceivably my 3rd son was conceived...go figure) I should probably make the real effort to go and meet him.

El Salvador bound, Dec 2 - 11. Yee ha!
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
colomtnbiker
wimpy old guy

Oddometer: 471
My wife and I have ridden our KLR's from the US to San Salvador twice, 2007 & 2012. We have San Salvador friends who are members of Sunzal private club next door. We had a large family dinner one night and walked to Tunco (on the beach of course) for pupusas from a street vendor, they made 30 for us.
We have Tunco calcamonias on our bikes.
Great beaches there. I'm envious you are heading back soon.

Hopefully getting old is not an option but acting old is.
colomtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadman View Post
It is a small world. Chango just keeps turning up... in the Texas hill country, on a BMW rig with sidecar, just like mine...giving me tips on the lesser known roads and springs in the desert of Big Bend....

And now, when I am looking for a place to rent motorcycles near the town I am building my surf shack in El Salvador, he knows the proprietor of the local motorcycle dual sport rental company.

Small world, if Chango ever comes back from Metz (a nice small town in France, where inconceivably my 3rd son was conceived...go figure) I should probably make the real effort to go and meet him.

El Salvador bound, Dec 2 - 11. Yee ha!

Chango, of the"let's trash Mexico" variety. I though he was banned.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote