ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #61
Acampao
WInd Jammer
 
Acampao's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Patagonia
Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjoernTheH View Post
Hey CCjon,
that sounds good to me and am sure you are going to have a great trip - good to do the pampa in Argentina first and keep the best for the end. Ushuaia - Torres del Paine - Carretera Austral - Lake region just stunning and you will have great weather for sure!!! they say its going to be a rather dry summer
keep me updated when you are on your way back up I am going to be arround Pucon - Temuco area.
looking forward to ride with Icerider soon.
Cheers and good luck on your trip
Bjoern
Hey Bjoern, joined the group recently and been familiarizing myself with it. Just back from a 4-day Santiago-Pucon-Santiago trip on my R12RT. My wife braved through the first 800km day under a 35º sun, but had to split the return in 2 stages. We ride an R12GSA in Punta Arenas and aside from the wind, much pleasant to ride in the cold (wearing Gerbings). Let me know if you happen to be around.

A
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #62
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Granbury Texas
Oddometer: 2,686
Having returned 3 weeks ago from Torres del Paine NP I am saddened to hear about the huge fire there. I can relate as Texas had the worst fire season on record. The Chilean govt. has asked for assistance from our (USA) government, so we will there to help soon. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #63
BjoernTheH OP
Chile
 
BjoernTheH's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Chile South America
Oddometer: 115
Hola Acampao,
good to hear from you, I have been in Pucon the last days, normally stay there all weekends.
sure we are going to bump into each other some day if you are around in Chile.
Cheers and happy new year
B.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Acampao View Post
Hey Bjoern, joined the group recently and been familiarizing myself with it. Just back from a 4-day Santiago-Pucon-Santiago trip on my R12RT. My wife braved through the first 800km day under a 35º sun, but had to split the return in 2 stages. We ride an R12GSA in Punta Arenas and aside from the wind, much pleasant to ride in the cold (wearing Gerbings). Let me know if you happen to be around.

A
__________________
________________________________________________

ADV Riders in Chile
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699272
BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #64
BjoernTheH OP
Chile
 
BjoernTheH's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Chile South America
Oddometer: 115
You are right FotoTEX, its a shame and all that just because of a tourist who could not take care of his fire properly.
Its a catastrophy for nature and for the whole area who works mainly in tourism!
B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Having returned 3 weeks ago from Torres del Paine NP I am saddened to hear about the huge fire there. I can relate as Texas had the worst fire season on record. The Chilean govt. has asked for assistance from our (USA) government, so we will there to help soon. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
__________________
________________________________________________

ADV Riders in Chile
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699272
BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #65
CCjon
HighHorse Rider
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Under the Texas Sun
Oddometer: 542
Torres del Paine fire

Sorry it hear that a tourist started it. You're right, a lot of people's livelihood will be adversely affected this year, 2012 did not start out well for them.

Am in Rio Grande tonight, heading to Porvenir and Punta Arenas tomorrow. Also two Brazilians headed the same way.
Will there be a problem in finding hostel rooms in PA and puerto Natales, with all the firefighters and park evacuees in the area?

Thanks for any current input.
CCjon
__________________
C2C US50 - Cross Country Ural Ride
http://ccjon.blogspot.com

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #66
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer
 
GastonUSAChile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Miami,USA
Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCjon View Post
Sorry it hear that a tourist started it. You're right, a lot of people's livelihood will be adversely affected this year, 2012 did not start out well for them.

Am in Rio Grande tonight, heading to Porvenir and Punta Arenas tomorrow. Also two Brazilians headed the same way.
Will there be a problem in finding hostel rooms in PA and puerto Natales, with all the firefighters and park evacuees in the area?

Thanks for any current input.
CCjon
Jan,

Torres de Paine are OPEN, the media have dramatized a lot the issue with the fire. My client have an hotel 'REMOTA' (not in your budget) but you are willing to stop and ask for Claudio Molina (Operations Chief) who kindly will shoe the installation and have a drink (courtesy of Gaston).
The president, Pinera want it to close the park for 1 month but it wasn't necessary. Claudio told me that is ok at Puerto Natales.

Cheers guy
__________________
SAmericaXplorer
Export/Import Adventure Logistics
Motorbikes & Overland Vehicles

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #67
Acampao
WInd Jammer
 
Acampao's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Patagonia
Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCjon View Post
Sorry it hear that a tourist started it. You're right, a lot of people's livelihood will be adversely affected this year, 2012 did not start out well for them.

Am in Rio Grande tonight, heading to Porvenir and Punta Arenas tomorrow. Also two Brazilians headed the same way.
Will there be a problem in finding hostel rooms in PA and puerto Natales, with all the firefighters and park evacuees in the area?

Thanks for any current input.
CCjon

I understand Lake Gray, Explora and Pehoe hotels may be closed, but Hotel Las Torrres and the Rio Serrano complex were not affected. Not many people displaced, and Natales' hotels may have had cancellations due to the bad press, if any effect at all. In PA we just know about this by reading the news, no direct impact.

A
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #68
Acampao
WInd Jammer
 
Acampao's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern Patagonia
Oddometer: 150
Attached latest graph on Torres del Paine fire.
Attached Images
 
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #69
snohobo
Supermoto hippy
 
snohobo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere in south america
Oddometer: 426
Yo!

Anyone ever ordered or receive parts from the US?

Need to re up on my brake pads and KTM Chile wants to charge me $80 shipping for $50 pads sent from Austria. Im thinking I can probably do it for less if customs isnt a huge deal here.

Probably looking to send them to Temuco. Anyone got any experience with this?

Currently chilling in Santiago!
__________________
Ride Reports:

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #70
BjoernTheH OP
Chile
 
BjoernTheH's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Chile South America
Oddometer: 115
Hey Snohobo,
They have ridiculous prices here in Chile - really a shame, but that’s because there is not enough competition yet.
I import my stuff from the US from time to time and on the shopping price you have to ad on aprox 25% for shipping and Taxes.
If you are from the states and have time and people who can help you out get them to buy it, get it out of the original packaging and send it, as used, non commercial items, to you in Chile. that avoids that you have to pay taxes especially as you are paying tax in the US anyway.
well hope you are getting lucky.
Cheers from the south
B.



Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
Yo!

Anyone ever ordered or receive parts from the US?

Need to re up on my brake pads and KTM Chile wants to charge me $80 shipping for $50 pads sent from Austria. Im thinking I can probably do it for less if customs isnt a huge deal here.

Probably looking to send them to Temuco. Anyone got any experience with this?

Currently chilling in Santiago!
__________________
________________________________________________

ADV Riders in Chile
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699272
BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #71
Tradey
RTW Traveller
 
Tradey's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia / Los Wages, USA / Santiago, CL
Oddometer: 221
We are planning on visiting South America this year and starting in Santiago and buying two KLR650's. Kawasaki Chile list the price as $4,990,000 on their website.

Could any local inmates advise what 'street price' we could negotiate ?

Any Kawasaki dealers you would recommend ?


Regards,
__________________
Geoff/AU F800GS/SA KLR650/http://offroad.com.au/2015 - Mexico to Mongolia
Tradey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #72
BjoernTheH OP
Chile
 
BjoernTheH's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Chile South America
Oddometer: 115
Hey Tradey
you are right, that’s the price and most probably the will not give you a big discount on them - for when are you planning your trip this year?
Kawa dealers are all horrible here - the least crap is Motoverde in Avenida Vitacura (from the ones I know), but I still would not put my hands into a fire for them. If you buy a new one you have to plan that it’s going to take a view days to get all the paper work done and the licence plates on the bike (at least two).
Are you planning on coming back to Santiago afterwards?
If you want to leave Chile you need to have the bike in your name or you need a special permit from the owner and an 3rd party insurance to cross into Argentina. Well, just let me know If I can help you out somehow.
Cheers from Chile
Bernhard


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey View Post
We are planning on visiting South America this year and starting in Santiago and buying two KLR650's. Kawasaki Chile list the price as $4,990,000 on their website.

Could any local inmates advise what 'street price' we could negotiate ?

Any Kawasaki dealers you would recommend ?


Regards,
__________________
________________________________________________

ADV Riders in Chile
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699272
BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #73
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!
 
TeeVee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Miami/Managua
Oddometer: 755
Off-topic

need a favor from someone down in Chile, argentina or brazil. Need parts from VW for the GOL, not the Golf--a model that is not imported into the US. the parts are for a 2000 gas powered GOL. I have one part number for the radiator fan it is: 377 959 455H. I also need the fan housing.

If one of you guys or gals would be kind enough to call VW and see how much they cost, I would be most grateful!!!
__________________
______________
'08 DR650
'07 DL1000
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #74
BjoernTheH OP
Chile
 
BjoernTheH's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Chile South America
Oddometer: 115
hey teevee - the VW GOL is made in Brazil, maybe you shoud ask in one of the Brasil threads - they must be really cheap there.
Chears B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
need a favor from someone down in Chile, argentina or brazil. Need parts from VW for the GOL, not the Golf--a model that is not imported into the US. the parts are for a 2000 gas powered GOL. I have one part number for the radiator fan it is: 377 959 455H. I also need the fan housing.

If one of you guys or gals would be kind enough to call VW and see how much they cost, I would be most grateful!!!
__________________
________________________________________________

ADV Riders in Chile
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699272
BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #75
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!
 
TeeVee's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Miami/Managua
Oddometer: 755
Thanks man, I think i got a guy in mexico who can get the parts. keeping my fingers crossed!
__________________
______________
'08 DR650
'07 DL1000
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014