User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Wink Get Out to Garrapata 2500 mi from Mexican Border to Pacific Coast

After 15 days on the road, 13 nights at camp, 2500 miles, 500+ Dirt Miles, 1600+ miles without Interstate, 500+ GB of Videos, Countless Pictures,
4 National Parks, 4 States, 1 Novice Dirt Rider and 1 Non-Dirt Bike (NC700X), Get Out to Garrapata is officially complete!

Four riders completed the journey, with two more ADVRider Inmates (SoloKLR and Heakle) joining us for major portions.

The Full Ride Report with Tracks is on its way, but in the mean time, we are posting Daily Diaries from the road on our Blog complete with Pictures at

http://www.getout2garrapata.org/blog

For Now I will Post daily updates from the road here as well as updating them on our blog, so come check us out, we appreciate all the support given to us by our fellow inmates and look forward to sharing our report with you.

Josh in Daytona Beach before crossing the United States on his DR650

The True Beginning Point of our Journey, where we all met Ben at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach all those years ago.

Our Fourth Rider, Scott North at the beginning of his Journey from Denver, CO, getting some work in at this mobile "office"

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere

Finally the four riders unite, Scott, Will, Josh and Jon

Ponyperformance8 screwed with this post 11-13-2014 at 06:03 AM
Ponyperformance8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Day 1 Road Diary

http://www.getout2garrapata.org/blog/road-diary-day-1

Today was the day we have all been waiting for and began early with craziness all morning. Josh and Scott arrived at the house yesterday evening just after dark and quickly got started stripping their bikes of gear, and Josh even changed his tires. Jon was last to arrive (as always) after Irene went to Tucson to pick him up (thanks hun)

Everyone was up early this morning and I was first to leave with Josh, Scott and Jon on their way to meet me after a quick practice session for Jon. Irene was great once again and went to the store to bring Coffee and Doughnuts which were a great hit. People filtered in and out all morning and while I would have loved even more people, it was really great to see those who were able to make it. We even had our first New Rider come out and join us, Steve from Tucson came out on his KLR 650 and was a lot of fun to ride with. We were able to raffle off all our items and I believe we really surprised some of those who won including some of the Employees at Cochise Motorsports, which was a great feeling.

All in all we met our first goal of raising over $1500 to award a student with the Ben Glattstein Upset Recovery Scholarship and that was an awesome feeling !

The ride officially kicked off about 1030 and we headed down to Coronado National Monument and over Montezuma Pass in what I am sure was an eye-opening experience for all but especially Jon, having never ridden off-road. We all had a good time and even met up with Kevin Krogh who joined us for a short time on his ATV. We made it to the U.S./Mexico Border Fence, but not before Josh Dropped his Motorcycle in deep mud in what I am told (by him) to expect more of this trip!

After passing through the Border Ghost Town of Lochiel, Arizona we went on to the outskirts of Nogales via the Duquense Road which once again took us through some higher mountain passes all on dirt roads. We parted ways with Steve soon after and returned to the house in Sierra Vista for a nice cookout and an evening spent by the fire-pit in what I hope will be the first of many more nights to come!

Ponyperformance8 screwed with this post 11-13-2014 at 05:59 AM
Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Day 1 Track

Get Out to Garrapata Day 1 GPX File
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GO2G Day 1.gpx (58.7 KB, 9 views)

Ponyperformance8 screwed with this post 11-13-2014 at 06:50 AM
Old 11-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Day 2 from Sierra Vista to Cottonwood, err Payson, AZ

After a long down day for maintenance and preparation on Sunday, we got on our way Monday for the first day of travel North towards Sedona, Arizona.

Our First Fuel Stop Near Benson..
After what seemed like a long time (to me) we finally got on the road this morning at about 10 am and it finally felt like we were really on our way !

Our Route took us into Benson, where we made a quick pit stop to pick up a gel seat-pad for Jonathan's KLR 650, which he immediately strapped to the top of his bags because we didn't have time to install it. We continued on our way North from Benson to Mammoth via Cascabel Road and 40+ miles of dirt with great views all along the way. With Saguaro Cacti and rock faces all around it was a good reminder of what I hope we will see all along our trip. As we got to the North End of the road near Mammoth, we came up to cross the San Pedro River only to find it washed out and full of Mud and the road closed. After deftly considering our options we turned back and took an alternate route to San Manuel followed by Hwy 77 to Globe, Arizona.

By the time we made it to Globe, the afternoon was wearing on and daylight was getting short so we elected to proceed onto Payson, Arizona around Lake Roosevelt with some outstanding views of the Mogollon Rim and the Colorado Plateau where our Northern Arizona Adventure awaited. We made it into Payson after crossing the awesome suspension Bridge on Lake Roosevelt and made a quick stop just outside of town to layer up for the next 2 hours of riding ahead to Cottonwood, AZ.

Little did we know that our riding day was about to come to an abrupt end when Jon's KLR failed to start. After Troubleshooting and a Quick Jump-Start we got the engine to run roughly enough to make it to a Car Parts Store down the road. The good folks at AutoZone of Payson helped us diagnose what turned out to be a battery whose positive terminal had literally shaken loose inside the battery and was not providing sufficient power. We decided that the only fix was a new battery and purchase what we thought would fit only to find out it was the wrong size entirely! So its back to AutoZone first thing in the AM and hopefully they have the right size in stock or I'm not sure what we'll do.

All and all a Pretty hectic day for the start of Get Out to Garrapata, If it keeps up like this, it may be a bit longer of a trip than I bargained for...
Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
SOLOKLR
almost retired

Oddometer: 142
I wish I could have joined you guys for the whole trip. Next time.
I had a blast sitting back watching a true novice cut his teeth on the trail. I am truly happy that you guys all made it back in one piece. Ride safe!
Steve
Steverauklr@gmail.com
SOLOKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOKLR View Post
I wish I could have joined you guys for the whole trip. Next time.
I had a blast sitting back watching a true novice cut his teeth on the trail. I am truly happy that you guys all made it back in one piece. Ride safe!
Steve
Hey Steve we wish you could have made it too... but it gives us a reason to do it again !

BTW Jon told me later that was hit very first dirt ride ever and that if the whole ride was like the first section over Montezuma pass he was in trouble !

He did take an epic tank slapper in Death Valley but more to come on that....
Old 11-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

A quick break from the Road Diaries to say that one more rider has made it home and another remains on the road.... With Scotts total added in we are already at over 13,000 miles for the trip and Josh will certainly send us over the top of 20,000 !

Scott Braved the Cold Colorado Winter Storm while Josh is relaxing down south in Albuquerque before continuing his course east on what will be his second Transcontinental ride of the last two months!

Old 11-15-2014, 04:09 AM   #8
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Day 3 Sedona and the Grand Canyon

Today began at the parts store by replacing the battery we bought yesterday with one that actually fit and then getting out of the Taj Mahal that was the Motel 6 and getting on the road. We were on the road after Breakfast and headed north to a meeting with our fifth rider, Henry Eakle. We found Henry waiting on the side of the road in Strawberry after his night in Cottonwood at our intended meet up point.

After a brief meet and greet we were on the road again headed towards Sedona and a brief dirt interlude on Beaver Creek Road that took us from Hwy 260 into Sedona the back way. Our intended brief interlude became much longer, however when once again Josh tried to loose his GoPro. This time, the actual screw came loose and the camera fell off its handlebar mount straight to the ground where it caught video of us looking for it for the next 45 minutes!

Enjoying the Red Rock Country of Sedona

After a safe recovery of the GoPro, we pressed on into Sedona to take in some the beautiful scenery before heading north on the beautiful roads of Oak Creek Canyon. The "Second gear paradise" of Oak Creek Canyon entertained us with smooth blacktop and wonderful twisting, climbing turns. Everyone was giddy by the time we made it to the top and we made a quick stop at the top for photos before cruising onto Flagstaff and Ultimately Cameron, Arizona for a supply stop before racing the sunset to our final destination, the Grand Canyon!

At the top of Oak Creek Canyon, Giddy from the awesome road.

We headed another 40 miles North from Cameron, to turn off of Indian Route 6110, a little Dirt Road that took us due west towards the East Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Indian Route 6110, Head West 25 miles until you come to the big hole in the ground...

I told everyone that the route could be a little confusing, but to just head West until we reached a large hole in the ground and that we did. After 25 miles of good and bad dirt roads, Wild Horses, Cattle, a herd of Sheep, and one dropped bike (mine), we stopped briefly on the road to catch another tremendous sunset. We then raced that sunset to the Rim once again with Scott in the lead only to hear him say on the headset, "Okay, I think we made it... Stop, Stop Stop!"

End of the Road

And this is what we saw:

Make it we did, literally skidding to a stop less than 30 feet from the edge and a drop of more than 2,000 Feet and Tatahatso Point.

I think the pictures will speak for themselves and this has to be one of the best Campsites that I can possibly imagine. Twenty-Five Miles from the nearest hardball road and a blanket of stars overhead, It just doesn't get much better, I am so glad we made it.

Coffee with a view...

Oatmeal with the sunrise..

Scott (in the distance) with Jon and Henry enjoying the ever-changing sunrise.

Here is what we saw:

Ponyperformance8 screwed with this post 11-15-2014 at 04:18 AM
Old 11-16-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Day 2 Tracks

From Sierra Vista to Payson

Attached Files
File Type: gpx GO2G Day 2.gpx (863.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Day 3 Payson to Grand Canyon Track

Attached Files
File Type: gpx GO2G Day 3.gpx (853.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Just Heard from Josh, He is on his way from Lubbock trying to make Ft Worth Today in 22 degrees and freezing rain/snow... basically this:

350 miles and conditions only expected to get worse....
Old 11-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Dude, awesome canyon camp pictures!

Sleepwalkers or nightime pee breaks too far outside the tent types, need not apply!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #13
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Dude, awesome canyon camp pictures!

Sleepwalkers or nightime pee breaks too far outside the tent types, need not apply!
Thanks man ! Yeah we actually said that to each other before turning in for the night, if you're gonna Pee, Pee to the EAST !!

Nother Update coming shortly!
Old 11-19-2014, 03:31 AM   #14
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Josh's GoPro Fail

So When I mentioned that Josh almost lost his GoPro (Again) I wasn't kidding, but at least this time we were lucky enough to find it and it had been running the entire time. Josh was luckier still that it had not been completely crushed... witness below.

And the Cars and Motorcycles that Barely missed Crushing it....

Josh looking for it himself almost takes it out

Next Scott Has a go...

Then Jon...

Why not a few 4WD Vehicles while we're at it...

What lesson can we learn from this, Kids?? Upload your videos Early and Often, because you never know when the unexpected may happen !
Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Ponyperformance8 OP
Adventurer

Day 4 Grand Canyon to Coral Pink Sands Via the AZBDR

So today began with what had to have been one of the best Sunrises of my Life and what was certainly some of the Best Fresh-Pressed Coffee ever Via Josh's wiz-bang coffee-press in a cup. We all took our time to take a ton of pictures and admire the wonderful views around us as the Sun slowly came up and its light did its Dance in the Desert.

After Breakfast and packing up, we yet again hit the road, only to begin with a "Top Gear" Style Race as Jon and I retraced our steps from Yesterday, and Josh, Scott and Henry High-tailed it out by following the BDR all the way back to blacktop. First Ones to arrive at the first Gas Station on the right in Page wins!

As should have been predicted, the Cheaters Cheated and took off way ahead of us on dirt but Slow and Steady wins the race as they say and Jon and I won, though we didn't make it to Page since the road was out, which was just as well since I had made a mistake reading my map and we didn't need to go to Page anyways.

After a well-earned victory celebration at the Turn-off near Page, we headed on to a little Road-side Joint for lunch called Cliff-Dwellers near Marble Canyon, AZ with a Backdrop of the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument. After an excellent lunch and great service, we pressed on with the intent of crossing from AZ into UT on dirt and that we did, straight through Vermilion Cliffs National Monument and on the AZBDR!

Once we got to the State line we had to stop for pictures and not long after we arrived up came three other Riders on Enduros who had just completed the AZBDR top to bottom. After quickly swapping stories we pressed on into Utah and the Town of Kanab where we planned to meet Jon who had taken off on his own to run an errand and had an incredible time on SR 89A who by his report was an incredible riding road that just kept on giving !

Swear Im not crazy... Supposedly there is a video of this somewhere... I hope

We pressed on to end the day at Coral Pink Sands State Park arriving to excellent accommodations and a warm welcome from my Dad who had driven down from Grand Junction, CO to visit with us and cook us an awesome meal . An Awesome end to another Awesome day of riding.

Tomorrow brings Zion National Park and the Road into Vegas which is kind of an unknown to me... as a matter of fact the rest of the route is unknown to me at this point the "Easy" Part is over and its Unknown Territory Ahead.... Allright!

Today's Totals: 171 miles, 50-60 "ish" dirt.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx GO2G Day 4.gpx (640.3 KB, 6 views)