And one more.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #137
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,112
Luderitz

Ended up having a few beers last night chatting to Mike and his wife Sandy and they weren't drinking so only had a couple which was good.
Got up fairly early and packed the bike up ready to go then went in and had breakfast standard cereals and toast didn't bother with the bacon and eggs as I've got a few k's to ride today so didn't need to be to full, hit the road about 10, the road for the first hundred k's was dirt some bad sections but all in all pretty good. Mike had told me the road turned to tar not to far away so was surprised that it was over a 100k's before it did.
After all the dirt riding I've done over the last week was nice to finally hit the tarmac and get into some cruising speed. Gave the bike a bit of a workout, for the life of me I cant get it over the 200 k's mark, I'll have to read up on what the top speed is though I'm fully kitted up and I'm not light so that might be dragging that top speed down a bit.

The ride over to Luderitz is almost 300 kilometres of just bugger all, just long straight stretches, boring and no signs of any life other than the occasional car, oh and I saw 1 ostrich and that was it for wild life. Stopped in at Aus on the way over for a drink there's nothing there, well bugger all, some of the towns on the map around here might of been towns at one stage but not anymore.
Jumped back on the bike for the last 100 or so k's to Luderitz as I got closer to the coast the temperature rose by about 5 degrees and the terrain became very sandy and windy. There was a small sandstorm happening, I'm sure nothing compared to what I will experience in the north of Africa.
Got in to Luderitz and headed down to the waterfront with all good intentions of camping but with the wind absolutely humping I decided stuff it ill go suss out a room.

Got back to the gate and talked to the guy there that I was going to look for accomodation and he said that there is a cabin down the road so I grabbed the key off him and off I went. Got settled and one of the local guys saw me unpacking my bike and came over for a chat, Matimo ran a lodge in town and I think when he saw me in the opposition lodge wanted to check it out, he charged 150 rand a night still very reasonable. He said he has a bar over there so I said i might drop over later but in the end just chillaxed and did nothing.

It was a hot ride today and my back has actually been giving me hell the last few days to the point yesterday I could hardly stand up so not real flash but oh well tell someone that cares. I have ridden alot of k's in the last week so and alot off road thats probably got something to do with it.
The cabin was pretty dam good for 12 bucks fully self contained everything you need cooking stuff etc and 10 metres to the waterfront so was pretty happy there. Considering staying a few days here to save some money but ill see how im feeling in the morning. Did a ride around every street in town this afternoon its really small, had a look at some of the older German architecure the ghost town just outside of town and thats about it for this place. Bumped into another couple doing the flower search, seems to be a pretty common hobby for alot of the people travelling around here, I guess at this time of the year and all the desert flowers could be interesting, I guess.

All in all the ride was long straight boring with some typical Namibian scenary long plains of yellow grass and nothing much else with moutains in the back ground.

Mike and Sandy leaving the Canon Roadhouse
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 06:18 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #138
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Luderitz

The ride into Luderitz was long straight boring and hot with a sand storm to finish it off, for the life of me I cant get this bike over 200 kmh Thought id go back to Aus for a little while lol
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #139
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Luderitz

Just some random shots of Luderitz not much here I think I basically got it all in three photos, this looked like a cool campsite tough but it does get really windy here and was absolutely blowing a gale when I arrived.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:13 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #140
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Some of the old German buildings in the back ground.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #141
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Luderitz`to Keepmanshoop

Woke up early this morning slept pretty well actually so was up sitting by the water thinking about what to do and after awhile thought im out of here. Theres nothing really in Luderitz for me for anyone for that matter, just a mining town with a few old German houses and a ghost town that isnt a ghost town its just a town that was used by miners and abandoned in 1956 and the sand has blown through broken windows and filled rooms up no big woop im sure it would be the same in any house in Luderitz if you left the windows open for a few days. Ask the young bloke at the gate if there was anything else to see and he said no so that was enough for me im gone.

Packed the bike up and headed off, rode around town for awhile having a look and to see if i missed anything but nahh nothing else here to see so petrol and off I went. As I got out into the desert I saw a game of soccer going on as I rode off the highway and into the desert and stopped for awhile. One of the boys and his mates on the sideline came over so offered them a ciggie and as the rest of the crew were just there asked if any of the others wanted one so I went over and sat under the one and only tree and gave a few of the boys ciggies, all pretty cool they were all just enjoying the football.

Then this guy in a uniform comes over and taps me on the shoulder, I said hey whats up and he said just be careful, I asked him why and he said you have just ridden into Luderitz prison aahahahah oh ok, I saw the big building over there but didnt take much notice as i was watching the footballI as I pulled in, it might pay to be bit more attentive of where im stopping in future I thought to myself, I better asked them who should I support the blue or green team i didnt want to be barracking for the guards or anything stupid like that. Im pretty sure they were happy to just chat to an outsider, have a ciggie and watch soccer with someone different they all seemed really friendly and we were all just enjoying the football. Stayed for about 45 minutes then decided to hit the road. Told them to stay out of trouble next time with a laugh to which I got a about 30 big smiles and and waves as I rode off. Doesnt matter where you are soccer is a great game to love. Its a talking point and an interest to just so many people in the world. Left there with waves and shouts of cya Aussie.

Just hit the road then on the way stopped off to see the wild horses of Namibia, saw probaby a hundred or more just hanging around there is a few tales of where they came from one a shipwreck in the early days but i think the story that they were left by the Germans after WW1 seems the more logical reason. Stopped at one of the towns on the map there seems to be a lot of places that were places once upon a time but the servo I stopped at and was on my Gps as fuel was deserted no pumps or anything, so just parked in the shade and filled up with my own 10 litre jerry can. I must admit that has come in quite handy, if I chucked another one on the other pannier there would be nowhere I couldnt go. I wonder where, Timbuktoo that would be a classic hey why not.

Was thinking ill head to Sussusvlei but you guest it I have no idea where it is and as im writing this its absolutely nowhere near where I thought it was lol ok only 400 odd k.s out so not to bad.
Might walk out to the bar and grab a drink and watch the second half of the Rugby and then grab some dinner, its a hard life. I'll see how im feeling tomorrow might head off towards Sussusvlei might do the 400 k's over 2 days half of it is dirt from here so that'll be fun and harder if the roads so far are anything to go by. I certainly havent come across any dirt roads you would be doing 150kph safely like ive been told. They must be somewhere but not where ive been, my top speed was about a 120 down to both feet down grovelling in soft sand.

The boys from the prison enjoying a game of soccer in the desert.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 06:20 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #142
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The wild horses of ??? ill have to look the name up.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #143
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Dont rely on your Gps to get you petrol I was on reserve when I pulled into here lucky I had the 10 litres with me or I was up shit creek without a paddle.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #144
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The ghost town outside of Luderitz its not actually a ghost town as such with spooky ghost it was abandoned in 1956 when the diamond mine shut down out there and the sand is just reclaiming it. Boring lol
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #145
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Keepmanshoop

Had a relaxing morning just sorting out a few things with my gear that have been bugging me the blue tooth head set etc then went through some of the rubbish ive accumulated in the panniers maps and other paperwork I wont be using anymore. After finishing up with that I jumped on the bike and went for a ride over to the Quiver forest, they certainly are a weird tree, an aloa tree that the local tribes people used to use the bark to make their weapons. Had a look around for awhile hoping to see some snakes or something but no wild life, there just nothing out here, well not that you can see anyway.

Went over to the Giants playground down the road was actually quite amazing big boulders stacked one on top of each other, I can see why they call it the Giants playground its amazingly like the little rocks all stacked up on the side of the road, im still to ask why they are everywhere. Walked around there for an hour then jumped back on the bike and just rode back into and around Keepmanshoop.

Wasn't much in town its a pretty small place plus it was Sunday so no one around. Met some of the locals on the poor side of town. Had one young bloke, a teenager come up and chat he said he would love to travel one day. He wasnt doing to bad his teeth were full of gold so I told him to sell his teeth get old like me and maybe one day you can. Was a pretty hot day around 34 so not oppresive but hot enough.

Came back to the motel and hung out a group of Harley riders turned up from Pretoria on their way to Walvis baai for a bikers rally so thats a good excuse to go up that way, from there i'll head to Sussusavlei where the biggest sand tunes are. I dont know to where after that but north somewhere, so its north, then west, then south, then east, then north in the next week or two, gee make up your mind already.

Met anorther nice group from Johannasburg heading to Windhoek and Swakopmund tomorrow, Frank his wife Marjorie (I know i probably got that wrong sorry) and Wolfe. They actually have a home in the Sychelles and live there for 5 months of the year and in a nice area of Johannasburg out near Sandton City. While we had dinner, they told me of their amazing story of one of those all to familiar home invasions with voilence in South Africa, they had both been shot and to top it off their dog shot dead its all just so sad for South Africa that those kinds of stories are just so common, seriously though id have to say 10% of the people I met in South Africa had been involved in some sort of very voilent home invasion either shot or stabbed and probably 90% had known someone personally that had been bashed stabbed or shot. Even that first night in Knysna that guy came into the pub his elderly neighbour had just been murdered, just plain sad there is so much violence in such a beautiful scenic country.

Anyway back on the more important issues I had a chicken schnitzel for dinner, mate it was bloody huge could of fed two people but got it down, the food here is really nice actually, im eating really well which isnt helping the belly but oh well fatboy rides again tomorrow. Had a really nice evening with Frank Maureen and Wolfe they will be in Windhoek so might catch up to them up there.

One of the quiver trees, they were very interesting.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 08:55 AM
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #146
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Yelled out my standard greeting to slow moving travellers "get off the road you weirdos" lol still got plenty of waves and smiles as I videoed them.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #147
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The Giants Playground really was pretty amazing how they were formed.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 03:22 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #148
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Windhoek

Had a top day today started off with breakfeast with Wolfe met up with Frank and Maureen they were heading off as were the crew on the Harleys so looked like a bit of a convoy heading to Windhoek. I decided to head up there as the service light on my bike has come on so probably should see to that as a bit of a must do, got to look after the baby I dont want her stopping on me.

The guys and gals on the Harleys took off first then we basically followed them. Its just over 500k's to Windhoek so was going to take a fair wack of the day. I got down over my tank tucked in behind my screen and humped along at about 160 to 180 so caught up with the crew on the Harleys after an hour or so. They had stopped so we had a bit of a chat by the side of the road then they took off again while I threw a bit of juice in the bike.

I jumped back on and about 5 k's up the road heres to blokes on motorbikes stopped so I pulled over and met them , they are on their way from Windhoek down to Cape Town all the way up the coast through Mozambique to Mombasa in Kenya finishing in abour December. We swapped details as we will be fairly close by in December, if my track works out to some sort of plan I have. and we might be able to hook up again. Told them a few places to go visits but im sure they will get to see all they need to see.

Got back on and hit the road again flying along at the speeds ive been racking up sucks the juice on this machine so next town I came to I decided to stop fill everything up and grab a drink. Saw Frank, Maureen and Wolfe in there so had a chat and lent Frank some more duct tape to fix his windscreen again. We basically took off together with them a few minutes ahead of me but I caught them pretty quickly and through them a wave as I humped on by. The Harley crew had been there but left a few minutes ago after a break so we caught them up pretty quickly and whizzed on by. Stopped to take the mandatory picture of the sign as I crossed the Tropic of Capricorn.

The Harley Crew went past me as I was doing the photo shoot Frank Maureen and Wolfe were long gone into the distance, so at the time wondered if I would see them again. Caught back up to the Harley crew about 40k's out from Windhoek and them being somewhat local I thought i'd just tag on the back of the group and let them lead me to the right side of town.

Stopped at a set of lights and asked if they didnt mind me following them into town and that was all cool so heres 8 or 9 Harleys and me on my Bmw bringing up the rear. The boys had a nice pad organised to we headed into town. They invited me in for a beer unfortunatly their place was fully booked but thats no dramas there was heaps around so had two beers and a chat and thought i'd cruise back down closer the Joe's pub this iconic travellers pub. Found a place right across the road so that was cool no need to worry about getting home pissed later if thats how it turns out. Came in and had a bit of a rest was pretty knackered, had a 15 minute bat nap then got up showered and cruised on over to Joe's pub.

There was a line up to get in making bookings for dinner so I thought blow that I just want to suck some piss, you know the rule eatings cheating when it comes to getting on the drink so just cruised straight on into the bar. No sooner than I had started sucking my beer down Wolfe walks over and taps me on the shoulder and says come on over and join him Frank and Maureen so hey that was easy walk in get a table and good company within minutes of walking into the place.

Ended up ordering dinner some Oryx game steak or something friggin lush whatever it was . The serving sizes are huge over here but got it down in the end. Was just finishing off and the Harley crew walk on by and say gday and said come on over for a drink when im finished. Everyones been really friendly so had a chat with Frank, Maureen and Wolfe for an hour or so and then they left so headed over to find the other guys.
They were hitting the piss pretty heavily in the end it was well after midnight by the time they finished up so im sure the ride today would of been a bit of a struggle for some of them. The gate on my lodge shut for the night at 1am and I didn't want to be walking the streets of Windhoek in the middle of the night like a homeless bum so I hit the road and came back and crashed out. Breakfeast is on till 10am in this joint so thats a bonus sleep in time.

Everyone is heading over to Swakopmund and the the Harley crew are off to Walvis bay down the road for the bike rally so theres every likelyhood ill be seeing them again over there. If not I had a really great time. Just more fantastic people ive been lucky enough to meet up with.

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 09:00 AM
Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #149
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Windhoek

Got up and had breakfeast then went back got changed and went for a ride to nowhere. well it wasnt to nowhere I went over to the Bmw dealer to book the bike in for its first 10 thousand service. Met Deiter in the service centre he works there by himself so was pretty busy, I just said im not in any rush next week is fine it will give me time to ride out to the Swakopmund and the dunes and also for that bike rally this weekend. Went up the road a few hundred metres and booked a room so I can just drop my bike down walk back and chill so thats all organised.

Was feeling a little seedy from last night but not to bad was excellent night chatting to the boys got some great tips on where to go and what to see. The boys said I can ride into Botswana and then head over to Zimbabwe but ill make that call when its left or right.

When we were riding in to Windhoek I noticed a big monument so headed up there was actually pretty impressive. The Acre of Heroes was built to commerate there independance from Germany and the people that fought for it. Quite interesting to know it was only in 1994 that they gained it so pretty recent history. From there I just rode and rode and rode around, up and down round and round all the side streets backstreets and any other road I could find, its fun to be riding in city streets dodging all the other cars and people after being on highways

After a few hours which covered a large part of Windhoek as it isnt that big decided to head back into the main part of the city and sort my phone out cause when I had put the South African sim card back it had wiped the username and password out on the Namibian one. Got that all sorted as I was leaving I saw a phone repair shop so thought id stop and suss out if he could fix the on off button and how much it will cost and yeah he can do it no probs. Says come back in 2 hours so thought ok cool more riding to do. So off I go just riding around thought id go track down some screws for my windscreen that are missing. Went back to Bmw and yeah they can get them but will cost 700 rand, I just said f&*k that i say ill duct tape it up at that price ha ha, like 90 bucks Aussie for 8 screws you got to be kidding fair dinkum. Said ill go try track down a couple of others at a local hardware and see what I come up with.

Was cruising around looking for a hardware shop everyone that came up on the Gps was a metal manufacturing place so not going to sell screws. As I was sitting outside one of them this guy walks on over and says hi, get chatting to him and tell him that im looking for screws and he points me in the right direction. Off I go the few k's and sure enough the guy in the hardware shop comes back with 10 of them so I have a few spares and says that'll be 10 rand. I had told him that Bmw had wanted 700 Rand so he straight away said did I say 10 I meant 700, I said come on mate your trying to rip me off arent you. We had a bloody good laugh at that.

Asked him if he had any rubber washers or anything like that maybe a tap washer or something of the like he said no but told me to go around the road to this other place and they might be able to help out, get around there and had a chat to the guy there no help asked him what else could we use and he came straight up with roof screw washers cool they will be fine. Just need something to take the vibrationn out of it as they screw tight down on the perspex screen and crack it. They cost me 12 rand so all up the bikes fixed for 3 bucks that Bmw wanted 90 bucks for, got to love that don't you.

Jumped back on the bike all happy thats been sorted and ride for a little while longer and end up back at the phone shop and hes fixed the phone put a new back on it and a new battery as he had parts lying around. So that was sweet the iphone backing was so scratched the camera wasn't clear because of the scratches so thats all fixed to now. Went back over to the lodge where im staying thought about going back over to Joes pub again but went to the supermarket and bought some cheap grub instead. Its pretty cool actually the supermarkets all serve a range of hot dinners and the locals always seem to eat them so im into them too.

Paid for the wireless internet ive got heaps of blogging and pics to upload so im doing that tonight. Not sure what im up to tomorrow might leave or might stay ill see in the morning and how I feel. Was just a really nice day today riding all around the town its quite funny but after awhile you get the hang of it so now id be able to buzz around Windhoek with using the Gps that might come in handy in another life.

Caio
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 09:27 AM
Old 09-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #150
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Swakopmund

This morning got up and had another luke warm shower so f^&k that im out of here if the showers shit thats a good enough reason to piss off 350k's to the next stop.

Getting the packing down now so all good, was ready to go by 10 the only thing that slowed me down was I ate so much breafeast i thought i was going to chuck, I thought bugger em, give me a cold shower im going to eat all their food ha ha Nearly had to much and had to go lie down, oh well that should tide me over for about 20 minutes.

Rode off towards Swakopmund which is actually just under 400 k's on the Trans Kalahari highway. Ok ride along that straight and it keeps going and going and going theres just so much of nothing around here. Bit like the outback in Australia but different in its own way. the road is dead straight boring as hell if it wasnt the excess speeds I was adopting id be able to have a snooze, atleast hooting along keeps the blood pressure and excitement levels up a bit but even with that it was tough to stay awake.

As I was riding along i was thinking ive had a gutfull of seeing nothing, at least in South Africa you could be killed by a maniac taxi driver at any stage, or a wheel might fall of the car in front of you which happened by the way, cant remember where that was now over East London way somewhere, then when you stopped someone might rob you and then when you slept you could end up part of a violent home invasion and be shot so your always got the energy up, here Namibia everyones so nice the crime level is very low and no maniac taxi drivers and the cars are all good so im pretty much bored shitless.

Arrived in Swakopmund and went straight down the waterfront to have a look, thought about accomadation but went and grabbed a beer instead. Was funny was 35 degrees celcius and stinking hot not far back up the road in the Kalahari come in here to Swakopmund on the coast and its 19 and a cool breeze.

Met a couple of local boys selling craft they were really nice, into there soccer so we chatted about all the different teams and players. Talk to them for about 20 minutes said id come watch them play on the weekend if im around which would be cool.

Left there and went for a ride all around town this is a pretty small town, bugger all really but really very nice all the same. After my beer I headed off to find some accommodation for the night. In the end I found a nice place not far from the town centre so all good.
After I got unpacked I went back out for a walk to check out a few pubs and ended up in the local casino, got them to change the channel as the New South Wales Blues were playing in the indian premier cricket league, was only highlights but was nice to feel at home, it was like any pub back home watching the cricket and here I was in the backwoods of Namibia.

Came home at a reasonable hour was getting the evil eye from the manageress at the casino you know the look, she was touching my arm, flicking her hair back, I thought back off you thieving bitch trying to pick my pocket aren't ya, oh what's that, she was flirting with me oh well as it says in the good book NEXT!!!!!
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 09:42 AM