Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #166
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,857
Just a few photos of me and Jan quading at Dune & outside of Walvis Bay in Namibia
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 07:24 AM
rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #167
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got some nice shots of Jan.

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 07:49 PM
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #168
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

And me was nice to get a few shots even if it just grovelling on a little flat section.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #169
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got a few more but thats enough uploading.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #170
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Swakopmund

Got up around 9ish and headed over to find some of the crew still hanging around so said my goodbyes to them and then went and saw Carol in the office and told her I would be moving on. Deciced I would go back and stay a night in Swakopmund cause the place I was before i can leave all my gear safely on the bike so if I decide to move on to Sossusvlei tomorrow its just a matter of getting on the bike and pissing off. Rode over to Dune 7 and talked to Jan again and said id go quadbiking with him again so just do what hes got to do and we will hit the dunes. I only was going to do a 45 minute ride today as I bacically just wanted to get a few pictures of the dunes and maybe some of Jan riding as well.

Sat around and had a drink then hit the dunes. We stopped a few times and I got some great photos and then was taking some of Jan and he went up one of the dunes and then turned it back down and must of ripped a muscle in his shoulder. (Ok this is an update but I couldn't put it in my blog at the time so long ago now as the last guy that stacked a quad at work there was never allowed to ride them again and had to work in the office, but on one of the hills Jan went flying up as he spun it around with sand flying everywhere he flipped the quad with it landing on himself, that how it actually went down.) I couldn't blog that at the time just in case his boss read it. Bit of a bummer he was in alot of pain so we had to head back and we had only been riding for 20 or so minutes but thats all cool I got the photos I was hoping for. We got back to the bar and had a drink and I printed a few of the pictures out for the boys so they were all very happy. It was getting into the afternoon so decided I better hit the road and get to Swakopmund and book in. Cruised up the back way to town another long straight road of nothing and isnt there alot of them around this neck of the woods.

Got back into Swakopmund and after awhile got booked into the same room I was in the other day so all good. Free internet dstv, only 400 rand a night right in town so nice. Met a nice local girl and talked about meeting her after work tomorrow night so that will be interesting if it happens she seems really nice and yes I mean niiiiice.Chilled out watching tv for the night so all good.

The boys I shouted KFC to yesterday in Walvisbaai.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 11:24 AM
Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #171
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Swakopmund

Did absolutely nothing today had all good intentions of riding down to Sussovlei but did nothing but walk around town and take some pictures. Its a nice town, I really like this area, talked to a few people and they say I have to go up to the seal colony about 40 minutes north of Hentiesbaai, I wish I had known it was up there the other day when I rode there, was basically a long straight ride to nowhere, so looks like Ill be doing that ride again but going further this time, im sure it will be more of the same past Hentiesbaai theres not much around up that neck of the woods.

Got a txt from Bettina, she's certainly a pretty little thing, we organized to hook up down the club after she finished work so got scrubbed up and walked off down into town at around 8. We had a really nice time and had a real fun night. We were together till after 2am but half of that time frame belongs in another blog with a different rating, the night just went so fast. I like it alot around here its very nice i could easily stay longer ill go for a ride tomorrow after being up so late it's not going to be Sussolvlei but maybe Cape Cross the place where the Portugese first stepped foot in Southern Africa in 1486.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 11:33 AM
Old 10-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #172
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cape Cross

Got up pretty slowly after being up till late with Bettina, I felt like I had run a marathon, well if you could run a marathon in two minutes that's how you would feel. We had a few drinks last night so I was a little shakey but not to bad. Was thinking of doing nothing again but then thought stuff it ill just get the bike out and ride up the coast its only a 3 or 4 hour return ride to see the seal colony and Cape Cross. Headed off about 11 and just started riding, its just a pretty much dead straight dirt salt road with nothing on either side other than the Atlantic Ocean and the flat plains on the other. Rode and rode and rode some more past Hentiesbaai and then onto Cape Cross.

Finally arrived and stopped at the Park office and headed over to see the apparently 100 000 seals. Well where are they, theres no way theres a 100 000 thousand maybe they just say theres that many so when they club the pubs to death for their pelts it doesnet sound so bad as its culling to save fish stocks and not just another money thing. Its pretty obvious its for money theres nothing at all around here and if they are complaining about the seals eating the fish stocks fair dinkum the nearest decent town is Swakopmund and Walvisbaai and nothing at all to the south of them, then to the north you have the Skeleton Coast which runs all the way to Angola from about 75k's north from Cape Cross if theres not enough fish in that area and feel that they need to club a baby seals to make sure they dont deplete the fish stocks, all I can say is WHATEVER but who am I to argue the point.

As much as these towns are nice around here and I simply love being on the bike the riding is boring as hell around this neck of the woods, long long long looooong straight roads flat terrain and sweet f^&k all to look at reminded of a saying we have in Australia MMBN miles and miles of bloody nothing. Im going to head to Solataire tomorrow to see if the scenary improves im sure there will be lots of dirt sand and nothingness.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 11:40 AM
Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #173
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Theres been plenty of these over the years along the Skeleton Coast
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #174
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Couple of the Cape Cross locals playing up to the camera..
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #175
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The fella didnt look like he had to much competition sitting there like king shit.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #176
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hentiesbaai Golf Course, I'd imagine the guys that play here would be ok coming out of the bunker.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #177
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Swakopmund to Solitaire

What a day you can take that C14 and shove it up your ass what a joke of a road. Ive been on some pretty shitty roads in the Richterveld National Park and the Sani Pass but that C14 easily takes the cake as the longest peice of shit ive been on so far and by quite someway i may add.

Long and sandy and for the last 100 k's speeds of nothing above 80kmh and that was being risky as you would come into deep soft sand to the point of 2 feet down and 10 to 15kmh. What a f*&ing joke, and its to one of the main tourist attractions in the country the dunes at Sossusvlei.

I'd like to see the guys that reckon you can do 150 + k's an hour on the Namibian dirt roads they are either pulling their puds or ended up in hospital on a regular basis. Ok you might of been able to hump it up a little on the sand salt road the other day but they are notoriously slippery even with just a mist so totally not advisable as theres some sort of a mist just about 24 hours a day in this part of the world.

The dirt roads in Namibia are seriously poop, ok they had alot of rain at the beginning of this year an in African time they probably wont be all graded again until some time around the next millennium but that doesn't help me does it. Put it this way I left Swakopmund at 10 am and arrived at about 15:30, 5 and a half hours to do 260 km the firt 50 on tar. Ok I had a few short stops for the heat but not to many the last 100 k's was horrendous im never riding that road again the Namibians can take that and shove it where the sun dont shine, well ok it's always shining around here, these (*king sand dunes better be good or ill be pissed off.

I know some of you might be saying ahh ya pussy harden up but its not as if i've never ridden motorbikes, ive owned them since I was a kid, raced motorcross at state title level in Australia and ridden numerous bikes along the way so I sort of know what im doing, on a few occassions its been the difference of going down and staying up. Maybe im just getting old but if you take your eyes off these roads for just a second you can be in big trouble with the sand that is ever present. One thing I do is put the front brake away when im riding in shit like this, grab it with your thighs and ride on through while backing down on the throttle. Seems to work for me. Ive always worked at relaxing my grip its an important part of riding as you all know.

While i was stopped at one of the view points on the road today Deborah an Aussie girl/lady came over for a chat which was probably the highlight of a shitty hard day, There was some pretty nice scenary through the Kuiseb Pass and the Guab Pass and I watched a nice sunset with a German girl after I arrived at Solitaire as well as having a nice dinner in the restaruant but that was about as hard a day as Ive had in the saddle so im pretty rooted. Its never enjoyable to feel like at any second you could be hitting the deck and there was plenty of times I had that feeling going through and into the soft sandy sections. Sesriem a small town is only 70k's away from here at Solataire, it's the furthest point I can take my bike to get into Sossusvlei so i'll cruise over and suss it all out and what I need to do to get to the dunes.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 11:49 AM
Old 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #178
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The famous Apple crumble

After I checked in and had a swim I cruised on over and grabbed myself some of the famous apple crumble.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #179
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

There was alot of unhappy Germans running around arguing as the servo had run out of fuel with the closest 80 k's back for most at Sesriem or 260 at Walvisbaai.The old adage never drive past fuel when your in these remote areas.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 07:25 AM
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #180
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The pool certainly came in handy after todays riding.
Attached Images