User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #196
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,912
Solitaire to Windhoek

Had a really shitty nights sleep, felt like crap all night and no pain killers other than a few disiprin which werent cutting it, oh well on a positive note I was up early and thought stuff it ill hit the road. Hadnt eaten since dinner the other night other than a few dried biscuits so went and put some cereal and toast into me guts.

Left the bike fully packed other than the tank bag last night its actually handy having the cover for it, i know its probably safe without the cover but it only takes one person to come along and hook the gear so its just a deterrent and keeps it somewhat out of sight. I still put the lock on it every night and when people say "oh its safe" I say when you buy a 200000 rand bike fully kitted and have it uninsured you can leave the lock off it but not this little black duck. Its another deterent they have to carry it away or undo the wheel and crash guard which quite easily could happen.

Anyway enough of me being a skirt wearer ended up leaving at 9ish after the regulation chat as I was organising the bike and started out. Was earlier than I usually hit the road so wasnt to bad temp wise not that ive been having to many issues with it its still only getting to 36 or 37 celcius so nothing to bad. Past the c14 was glad to get off that, as Chantelle had told me that the d 1265 that I had to go along was is in good nick. The first 10k's were rubbish soft sand I was thinking oh here we go 200k's of crap like this, it wasnt a good start. Surprisingly as the road got out in the hills it improved heaps which was a nice change still only getting up to just over a 100 k's as you still had the soft sand six inches out of the tire marks you rode in.

Came up to the Spreetesgoote Pass pretty nice little section of the ride very scenic up there so stopped and took a few pics. Was actually really enjoying the ride, I hadnt past anyone or seen any dust trails for over an hour so was isolated but really nice.

Oh I was actually pissing myself laughing alot of the time in yesterdays blogs I wrote about the water crossings and that they may be overstated, well I wasnt disapointed heaven forbid I get my boots wet ahahah water crossings, ive seen bigger puddles when ive had a piss in the bush, absolutely to funny, I actually stopped at most of them and took pics you'll see what I mean. Kept on going it was a pretty easy ride there was a little bit of sand you just have to be careful all the time but only had a few times where i lost concentration for more than a brief second and had a few interesting moments.

Arrived in Windhoek it was really nice to hit the tar road again, it felt great. Went and booked into the place where im staying up the road from Bmw and then went down and saw Deitar and told him id bring the bike back later and just to confirm they had the tyres and how much they would be. Dropped the bike off and grabbed some grub for later and headed back to the lodge. Its a bit of a shithole this joint but its got a bed and it'll do for the next two nights then ill go find somewhere else to stay that is a bit nicer, no air conditioning no tv no fan and no internet just doesent do it for me for the price im paying, which by the way is pretty reasonable.

I'm still feeling a little crappy, when I was down the shop I was feeling so bad I just grabbed some food and pissed off without even looking for medicine, ill deal with the pain by slugging on a coke and a scoffing down a few ham sambos.

Will take the next few days to research where im heading and look after myself a little so should be a pretty cruisey few days.

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 12:31 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #197
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

This was the first watercrossing I came across and had been warned about it took me about 30 minutes to stop laughing certainly made for a fun days riding challenging myself so hard, heavens forbid I get my boots wet hahahaha
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #198
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Seruiosly, I was cracking up after I saw this one the only thing that stopped me laughing was when I saw the fault light come on , not what you want to see in the middle of nowhere.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #199
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

This is either the Guab Pass Kuiseb Pass rest area nice to have some shade. Im pretty sure its the Guab Pass going off the numbers on my cam
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 03:50 PM
Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #200
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

And you guessed it over the next hill and then the next and the next lol
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #201
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Windhoek

Its been over a week since I last blogged, ive just taken time out from doing anything as i've just been feeling pretty stuffed so decided to go see the quack and get things sorted out. Between the pain in my back and neck the flu I really needed to just sit still for awhile and get myself feeling better. While she was listening to my chest she spotted the long scar across my rib cage so I told her about the accident and that my right lung was collapsed and the left partially and that I had bled internally into my chest and had to have an operation on all of it so she took her time listening.

She did say my lung that was damaged in the accident wasnt sounding to good and wanted me to go get some xrays but I just said let me try this medicine you've given me first and if im still having issues ill go get the xray. I must admit ive been feeling like crap but I have been pushing myself a little even as much as I know it seems like ive been on a leisurely cruise through Southern Africa. I've only done 12 500 k's in 4 months and people do that standing on their heads but go get smashed up by a semi trailer then do it a few years later and you'll have some idea how im feeling . Theres so much more to it as well and im seeing that come into play cause im a little run down. Losing things, leaving things i dont know how it happens the dots just dont connect lets say.

Like today walking out of the mall after going to the shop, oh wheres my sunglasses, shit look in all my pockets, no not there, not hanging on my shirt, oh bugger I must of left them back at the pharmacy, so just about to start walking back, oh hang on there they are on my head, thought i checked my head, friggin hell idiot. Just as im doing that one of the security guys comes chasing me down the mall, you left this paperwork, oh great thanks mate, go to get my reading glasses on to read it and there gone and they are gone, oh f%^k it forget it just take a few minutes to compose myself and concentrate when you get on the bike. I know we all do that stuff at times but ALL THE TIME, its just so annoying, I guess im just getting an early look into what its like to be an old coot. They did say it may of been caused by the hit on the head I got in the accident or the blood loss when I was bleeding internally and lack of oxygen I had at stages but FUCKING HELL it shits me, makes me more determined to kick it in the nuts and push on.

In the week or so ive had off ive had the bike serviced which was good, had a warning light that came on in the last 50 to 100 k's before I got into Windhoek was a bit of a worry when your in the middle of nowhere but checked the oil water and everything else and kept going, ended up being the headlight lamp so that was replaced and so far in the few k's ive done just riding around town ive had no probs.

Been nice to stay awhile somewhere again, getting to know Sylvia, Ingrid and the crew that work here. Slyvia's little Grandson Janu is a classic, the little fella was shy at first but now I let him sit on and start the bike any time im going out. I took him down the shop the other day to get and ice cream and bought him a little toy motorbike and car to play with, he loves it, I think ive learnt more Afrikaans hanging around Janu whose only 4 in the last few days than I have in the last 4 months. Ive definatly made a little mate he just came over before to say good night. Slaaptyd (bedtime) I said to him he just nodded Ja and waved and off to bed he went.

Ive decided im going to the north of Namibia then up to the Caprivi Pass from there then back down the West side of the Ochevango Delta across and up to the Vic Falls. I talked to a bloke today that said the Caprivi Pass was just a long straight road dry with not much happening other than a few elephants, sounds pretty familiar in Namibia.

He told me to give Egypt a miss to he said he and his mate had set up camp and in the middle of the night were grabbed by soldiers or someone and were forcibly thrown on the ground at gun point and threatened saying they were illegal fisherman or spy's, they had one of the cops military fire the gun into the ground while they were lying there. Seriously though some of the stories that come out of there it sounds like a comedy almost. Maybe it was where they set up camp who knows maybe they were in a restricted area and the way things work up in that neck of the woods the soldiers just weren't taking any chances. They went through his tent and stole his camera, it really is starting to sound a no go zone but we'll see.

He also said the bikes had been stuck in customs for 2 weeks sorting out paper work which didnt help their cause. There is a few options when i get up there Option 1 is I can go to Khartoum and get visas for Saudi Arabia then go to Port Sudan over to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia and then head to Jordan then up through Syria to Turkey. Option 2 is Port Sudan to Italy by boat through the Suez Canal or Option 3 Just meet Jared in Ethiopia crate the bike up and fly with him to Europe get my bike and piss off into the sunset again which sounds easier.

In all my researching before I left I have read so many different ways but in the end im not sure what im doing tomorrow let alone a few months. The good tip I got was that the northern Kenyan part I keep hearing about is 340k's and took them 15 hours in two days to do with no dramas at all other than being pretty hard riding. Im looking forward to heading north but have decided to just get these pills into me see how im going then take off, whats a few days in the washup to make sure im ok

Riding around Windhoek im starting to know the place just riding around and around around its good, its not that big a town but even riding today I came across a sort of side street and came out and went oh shit there I am, its a little different these inland cities surrounded by hills its ok when you ride in and ride out but once you start going all over the place the north south east and west start to become a little blurred but just riding to anywhere every day the city just becomes familiar if you know what I mean.

Anyway im jibbering now im having a few more days break if any of the family are reading this im ok, im still breathing and ive still got the energy to beat up on a 4yo so all good.

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 12:42 PM
Old 10-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #202
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Tomorrow im back on the road and just for something different im going to ride to the centre of the Kalahari desert, and yeah im not joking.

From here in Windhoek its about 540 k's to Ghanzi and i'd expect it to be quite warmish once it gets into the day so it will be sunblock water and more sunblock tomorrow, apparently the anti malaria tablets im taking make you more sussectible to the uv factor so makes perfect sense to ride into a desert doesent it. Oh well mans got to do what a mans got to do. I could just sit on my ass and flick through the channels on the tv but been doing that basically for two weeks now. I certainly needed it though feeling so much better taking those few weeks off. I've really been enjoying just flying around the city on the bike every day and riding to nowhere getting to know Windhoek.

Anyway the blogging and pictures will start again and hopefully ill get some decent pictures in the next week or so in the Ochevango Delta as I head towards the Caprivi Pass and the Vic Falls. The Vic Falls are only about 2 days riding away if I got stuck in but the way im going ill be there in a week or so, im looking forward to getting to the Delta who knows how long ill stay there. but in saying that im looking forward to getting to Lake Malawi as well and that isn that far away either. I dont actually know which way im going when I get to Vic Falls but ill leave that decision for the next few weeks.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 12:44 PM
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #203
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Fair dinkum what a day that was hard work but fantastic in the same breath. Ended up getting up around 6:30 yeah I know surprise surprise WTF anyway decided since im up to pack up and piss off early. Ok that took a little time, little Janu was knocking on my door at 7:30 his grand ma must of told him I was leaving so we played and hung out while I packed the bike up, classic standard games you play with kids, you know the ones oh look at that then he turns and you chase them, lended up chasing him around the lodge 30 times, to funny him screaming in laughter was certainly a nice way to start the day. He helped me start the bike then helped put my gloves on and directed me out of the carpark was a classic. Gave him the high 5 and the gate was shut behind me and off I went.

I hit the road at 8am so a pretty early start for me which was good I was worried about the heat in the middle of the day riding into the Kalahari Desert so was happy to get away at a semi reasonable hour. Got stopped just out of Windhoek by the cops asking for my insurance I bought when I came into Namibia, I did have that the other day where the hell it was now I have no idea. Jumped off the bike and started going through all my paper work in my panniers I didnt give a rat ass Ill take all day if i have to and just go book into the next lodge up the road. I think he got bored way before me but had a nice chat to him and his mate as I was frigging around. Ended up telling him what I was up to and the little bit extra im trying to do in my travels, in the end he says look I dont want to hold you up God Bless you have a safe journey.

Got back on the road the highway is pretty damn boring you could take a picture at any stage in the journey and it would look all the same well pretty much. Got to the Namibia Botswana border and went in filled out the rego part of the deal which is the first step then the departure card and the chick at the desk stamp stamp smile and im through that part. Ride over to the Botswana gate its already hot by this stage well not to bad but 39c but hot enough for everyone to be whinging. I was laughing last night I froze my camel pack that I wear in my rallycross pro jacket so I had icy cold water, I was surprised how long it lasted wish I had thought of it beofre it certainly made riding in the heat a little more bearable with an ice pack on my back and icy cold drinking water whenever I wanted it. I go into the Botswana office repeat the process sign in book entry card and hand it all over, they were really friendly probably cause it was so quiet and asked me where im going, i just said Ghanzi and then im not sure they just said welcome you have 3 three months and off I go to pay my road tax which was 240 Pula or whatever it is which is about 30 odd Aussie bucks, I thought was quite x'y but oh well I dont care what ever.

Got back on the road had a few more hours to get to Ghanzi and it was getting hotter all the time I was watching as the thermometer on the bike just kept clicking up and up, it funny you can sense even the half degree rises in the temp. By the time I got to Ghanzi it was 2pm and 44c , stopped to try and book into the Kalahari Sands there, oh no vacancies ok I saw a lodge just back south as I came into town ill just hook back there and see. I did think about just giving it a miss and going north but it was so hot i thought ill give it a go. Ok get there no vacancies either. So ride back into town go to the servo and fill up while I decide what to do, its chock a block inside everyone trying to find some comfort from the heat inside the shop and the air conditioning, talk to some European dude he looks at me and just sighs and says you must be hot with all that gear on, yeah I say its pretty warmish isnt it as I sculled down a Fanta while I stand at the counter waiting to pay for it.

Walk back out the the bike and think oh f&8k it im out of here its to damn hot around here surely its got to be cooler up near the Ochavanga Delta and its only just under 300 k's away at the speeds im knocking up on this road ill be there in a few hours or by 5ish at the latest. Well the temperature didnt go down to much but at one stage it went down to 36c and was pouring with rain and started to hail, pouring with rain, in Australia we would call it a passing sun shower over here in the Kalahari Desert im sure it was flogging down for ages. The funny thing was after it rained all the animals came out onto the road to drink the puddles so slowed me up no end dodging cattle, donkeys, Ostrich's, goats and wild boars, made it a dodgathon for the last 150k's burr was a fun interesting ride all the same. By this time I was getting pretty rooted, the icey cold water was well and truely all gone and my back was starting to give me some grief, well I had been on the bike for 7 and a half hours with only limited breaks and it had been well over 40c heat for the last 4 hours, I know harden up ya big pussy.

Stopped off in some remote village just had to try and get something cool into me, it was still 42c at that stage they obviously they dont get to many Aussie dudes on motorbikes stopping by so was the centre of attention, here I was trying to chat and stand up at the same time. Didn't stay long just wanted to get back on the bike and kill the last 150 k's to Maun on the edge of the Ochavango Delta and find somewhere to stay and relax. Rode and rode it was still a major dodgathon so the going was fast at times but almost to a stop at others but seeing all the animals certainly gave m something to look at, its pretty much desert scenery out here not much to see.cWas getting close to Maun at around 5 and it was still 40.5 on the thermometer so still hot i was thinking well that didnt work out like I planned thinking it would be cooler up in this neck of the woods.

Arrived in Maun and by this stage I was really getting exhausted and starting to struggle, I just needed to just find somewhere and somewhere quick. The one I had put in my Gps was anopther 4.5 k's through town and I thought theres got to be something in here surely so wacked it in my Gps and up came a joint I had just past so turned straight around and rode the 100 metres back up the road and went in.

Cool vacancy but expensive at 950 pula thats like 125 bucks aussie a night but F&*k it im not in a position to argue I just want to chillax and this joint is pretty ritzy. Get booked in taken to my room and just hit the bed and turn the air con down to 16 and sit there under it for a few minutes. Go back out get my bike all sorted take what I need off it and head back to my room. Went back out just on dark to move my bike and put the cover over it and jump on it with my thongs on and the bike rolls forward and the stand crunces my big toe breaking the nail in half and ripping the top off, oh well shit happens, its funny the last time I did that I judged how bad my back and neck were because they were still hurting more than my toe I had kicked, well today was no different. Here I am blood pissing out of my toe my nail broken in half and im just going shit I can hardly stand up my back is so sore, f*&k the toe. I guess thats the benefit of having bad pain in some part of your body nowhere else is going to be sore.

Wll just had a really nice rump steak for dinner wasnt that hungry but hadnt eaten all day so thought I might as well chuck something into my guts and have a few drinks plus the restaurant is the only place that has Wifi so its killing two birds with one stone so to speak just checking my facebook and updating the blog.

It was a really hard days riding in that heat today covering just under 800k's but in saying that I was just on my bike thinking how much I love doing this, just riding and riding and riding some more, the two weeks off were great and just flying around Windhoek was fun but this out there on the open road with no destination, well sort of, is where its at for me, it just reaffirm's to me just how much I love just being on the bike riding. What a top day, loving life as sore as I am.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 12:56 PM
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #204
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Wow its so friggin hot here in Maun 45c is a killer at the moment. Plus that and im sore as f$&k from yesterdays 800 k ride in high 40+ degree Celsius heat. I really did bugger all today. Got to talk to my little fella Logan this morning which was real nice other than the connection cutting out which sucked big time. I miss him sometimes though there is positives and negatives to not catching up with him but oh well ill always love ya logie bear wherever I am in the world.

When you think about it having to fight his mother every step of the way to be part of his life, 20 odd times in court over 5 years, the constant battle to just be his father to the day I left on my trip, chuck in my accident and the recovery to that riding around Africa and the world on a motorbike is a peice of piss. Certainly made it easy to leave, the constant shit fight she gave me just to be his dad, im sure theres more than a few blokes that understand what im talking about, it's much easier being one of those deadbeats dads that just pisses off let me tell you and it's probably better for him as well not having that conflict in his life as well.

Anyway back Maun f$&k its hot ok hot outside for the poor folk, im in a room watching tv with the air con on 16, I feel for anyone outside camping today yeah thats right I feel 16c for ya. I did go over to the airport to try and suss out some of the ways you can tour the Ochavango Delta and met a pilot who worked for Moremi Air whose boss died in the crash last week killing 8 tourists. He said the planes just have alot of issues flying in this heat. Ok im not flying into a camp especially after another one crashed the other day as well even though everyone survived this time.

Walked outside and this guy Adam comes up says hello and we had a chat, he tells me he's a pilot and looking for work, I said to him obviously theres one job vacancy right now, we had a chuckle on how f$$ked a joke it was but oh well when its your time its your time at least they got to make the papers around the world. Went into one of the tour agency across the road and talked to the girls oh yum yum oh come on keep your mind out of the gutter Sheldon, I must admit theres some pretty nice looking chicks in Maun. Anyway in a nutshell it was seriously hot today basically just sussed out the tours and cheaper accomodation if I could be bothered to move and just hung out in my air conditioned room.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 01:21 PM
Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #205
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Rode over to the camps that the girls had told me that do boat rides and trips by road into the Moremi Game Reserve. There's a boat going for a cruise this afternoon im welcome to jump in, ok cool ill cya at 3 for a couple hour cruise of the delta. From there I went back into Maun about 10k's, it was still so hot in the low to mid 40's, im over Botswana if its going to be like this all the time ill go to a country thats got a beach if it is.

Unhappily my computer shit itself keeps going into startup repair, pain in the ass so hopefully its not all lost again after losing everything on the portable hard drive. Left about 2 pm to go for the cruise and dropped the computer off in the shop, ill see what they can come up with, ive had no luck.

The cruise up the Delta was interesting lots of bird life apparently the delta is very full from last years floods so the animals are away from the river. Im glad he said that, I was going to do the boat ride up into the Moremi Game Reserve so luckily as I probably would of seen sweet fa other than birds of course. Was interesting seeing some of the local villages along the river bank in parts, all in all a fun cruise and it was very pleasant temperature wise too.

Once I got back from the afternoon cruise I hung around with Bei and Christof a nice couple from Belguim as they had planned a day drive into the Moremi for tomorrow and the chick was coming back to see them so hung around to see if I could jump in with them.

So that worked out alright day trip into Moremi but we have to leave at 5 to get in there before it gets to hot.

Back at the Cresta Riley in town eating a nice stir fry for dinner. They say its going to be cooler tomorrow lets hope so. Of course ive got it easy cause i've got my air con but I did come here to stuff not sit in my room and this heatwave really just limits how long you can be outdoors for without it becoming a friggin mission.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 08:18 PM
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #206
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Woke up at 4am to get organised to go on the drive to Moremi Game Reserve, got to sleep really early so that helped. I had organised late last night that i'd leave some of my gear in the room and if the room was still available id stay again. I had checked with the Alpha Guest house as a back up as I knew id be stuffed by later in the day and the last thing id feel like doing is running around looking for somewhere to sleep. I took off from Maun and rode over to where the guys were leaving from, gave myself plenty of time didnt want to hoot along the road in the dark, its not something you would make a habit of in Africa theres animals everywhere not to mention the local inhabitants are pretty well camouflaged as well in the dark, I've just been told that last statement is politically incorrect pffft whatever its the truth, what am I supposed to say all you see is there bit white smiles, gawd help me what is the world coming too when you can't even speak the truth for the fear hurting someone's feelings.

Arrived at their lodge at 4:50am so had a few minutes up my sleeve to get what I needed off the bike. Christof and Bei turned up shortly after so we started walking up to the gate, as we did the guide turned up in what can only be described as a shit heap, my immediate reaction was this is going to be a loooong day. There was another older couple from Belguim so that was nice for Christof and Bei to have someone from their own country. I ended up jumping in the front seat with the guide Innocent, and yeah that was his name. We hit the road, the shit heap just putting along at about 70k's id be surprised if it did more than that. Was a long trip to Moremi at that speed and as it was dark was just a long slow drive. We finally arrived at the park, Innocent went and did all the paperwork and I walked around and had a look at the boards and then read the local paper which had an in depth article on the plane crashes that happened in the delta in the last few weeks.

Innocent parked the car over the road and set up for breakfeast and I went over and joined them. Breakfast was just a roll with peanut butter on it and coffee pretty basic but it was all I needed to be happy. We packed up after breakfast and all jumped into the truck and headed off into the park. We had only gone about 15 minutes and Innocent spotted a cheetah and its cub sitting under a tree, ok thats pretty cool. We sit there for 10 or 15 minutes watching them then decide to move on and click click wizz yep you guest it the shit heap isnt going anywhere. Innocent gets out to have a look and theres no bar to hold the hood up so he's standing there looking like what the fuck i dont know puts the hood down pretty much straight away walks back to the drivers door to try it again and turns to me and says do you know mechanics Sheldon, Hilarious, Ok ive owned a few shitheaps in my time and that wizzing sound to me sounded like the starter motor so I say give me a look. I grab one long stick and jam it in the hood to keep it up and another shorter one to bash the starter motor. Bang bang bang getting a strange look from Innocent and im sure the others were thinking what the hell is this Aussie bashing under the hood. Walk back to the drivers window and broom broom away it goes. So the crew grab a picture of me holding the saving stick and the cheetar in the background behind me, I jumped back in and just said thats what we call bush mechanics baby hahaha was quite funny.

Drove on saw a few crocs hippos lots of birds, giraffe, monkeys, stacks of impala, kudu and a few others. As we got to where we were going to turn around and head back Innocent put it in reverse to do a uturn and crunch crunch, i said mate that doesent sound good. We drive about 2 k's down the rough sandy road and theres just smoke pissing out from somewhere underneath the truck. Innocent says ill find some shade and we will have some lunch and have a look. This really didnt look good i tried to lighten the mood by saying go easy on lunch we might need that in a few days.

Obviously the chick that owned this vehicle and set up had bought it 25 years ago and not upgraded a single thing since. I was having a laugh about it but I could tell the older couple were far from impressed and I must admit even for me whose pretty easygoing it was pretty friggin ordinary. So here we are 45k's into the park major dramas with the truck Innocent asking me if I have a satelite phone, i asked him why and he says just in case i have ring the rangers. I said they arent going to help you cause when we first arrived I talked to one of the rangers about how he works and he told me they do 5 weeks in the park and then 10 days off and thats its quite fun they usually just drive around but all the vehicle's are in Maun at the moment being serviced so there isnt any rangers coming to help. On a seriously note operators like this should be reported its quite dangerous taking unroadworthy vechiles into a game reserve with no way of getting help. As we packed up lunch I just said to him your just going to have to drive mate and not think about whats going on underneath and hope it doesent stop.

We start off and it just keeps chugging along we had to take the the main route back to the gate and not along the water so there was no animals to be seen. Finally we got back to the main gate with still a few hours driving to go but at least we were out of the wild life park and the killer donkeys dont really pose to much of a threat. I turned to the others and said the sad part of the day is that the best thing we will probably see all day is home lol we ended up arriving home not long after 4 and we were all the very relieved that we got there.

I talked to Innocent on the way home the operator pays him just under 50 Aussie bucks for the whole 12 hour day its such a rort over here if you ever want to start a business and dont mind shafting the workers, Africa is the place for you. 600 odd bucks 50 for labour obviously nothing on the up keep of the truck there's good money to be made here, I find it pretty disgusting actually and one of the main things I dont like. Its not an isolated thing its just part of the way it works over here as unfair as it is. It really is just wrong. Anyway enough of my whinging.

Stayed and had a drink with Bei and Christof then had to make tracks I wanted to grab my pc out of the shop so I could hit the road early in the morning. Picked that up, they couldnt work it out so no joy on that front. Got back to the Cresta and my room is still there, oh happy days thats a releif im stuffed. Walked over grabbed a rump steak for dinner and back to the room to chill.Pretty good day with lots of interesting stuff, my back is pretty sore from bumping around in that shit heap, but harden up princess. Ill head somewhere tomorrow where to im not sure.

The old shitbox we went into the park in

Some of the animals we saw on the day in the Moremi Game Reserve

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 01:46 PM
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 AM   #207
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Was pretty tired so fell asleep early last night so was up at the crack of dawn oh ok 6 oclock so started packing to leave. It was pretty reasonable had cooled down alot and when I thought where id ride to i thought if I get up to the pan handle of the delta to see that end of the Ochavango and the Poppa falls that would be cool, thats only 400 odd k's, so had a light breakfast then hit the road, if I get to where I planned I'll be there by lunch time and before it gets to hot, well that was the plan anyway.

Rode for about two hours and came across a servo so thought id stop for juice. Well that aint going to happen their computer system is down so no petrol. Fortunately the 10 litres i carry will get me to the next town but theres so many people turning up wanting petrol. I was just about to get on the bike and i say to the guy would you like me to have a look i know a bit about computers. So back into the shop check all the power and make sure everythings plugged in. Ok the button looks broken on the front that shouldnt be hard to fix so off with the side to get access and whoa this thing is so full of dust and cobwebs and i mean full. We get it cleaned by using compressed air but im pretty sure thats half there battle its an old pc and been sitting there for donkeys years by the look of it.

Cant get it going so i ask if they have another pc as we could transfer the hard drive with the program they need to run the pumps from the one with a fault. So we do that the guy loads it up, the programs loaded in so all looking good, I go to pack the bike back up and have a drink. I come back into the shop to see if its working and the chick cashier says the manager needs to put in his password in and he's having lunch in the office, I knocked on the door to no answer, it wasnt as if he was trying to not pay me or something cause i told him i dont want money id fix it just so the guys can get back to work and earn some tips. So when he wasnt coming out i just thought stuff this ive just spent an hour and a half fixing this guys system and he's to busy having lunch to come put his password in, we are on African time so no big deal so I think oh well it'll work sometime ive got enough fuel im out of here. so walk out the door and start getting organised to leave.

Met a few South African guys cruising around and they weren't going anywhere, they were almost out of fuel and the next nearest servo was far enough away that they were no chance of making it, im sure they weren't lone rangers out of all the cars sitting around waiting. Being somewhere by lunchtime and before it got to hot was gone, ok it wasnt that hot 39.5 so reasonable compared to the last few days. Only about 170k's to the Poppa falls and the pan handle ill get there and call it a day, that still included a border crossing as well. As i left one of the young guys came out with two bottles of frozen water oh cool straight into the front of my jacket they'll keep me cool, well cooler was very nice of them to give me them, it certainly makes a big difference having that icy cold water.

All the pump attendants were saying goodbye I had tipped them even though they only filled the bike up with my own fuel. I could probably be accused of being a tad generous with my tips while im travelling but if you take the time to see how badly they are all exploited a few sly bucks from some Aussie bum will help just a little. Makes a big difference being able to be generous with tips you instantly become their mate and they just want to help you in any way they can which is always nice. Like the other night I slipped the waitress 50 rand then went and slipped the chef who cooked my dinner a few bucks as well and the way they get paid over here ive probably just given them a few hours wages and with dinner drinks and tips it still works out about the same price as buying a dinner down the pub at home so im still walking out happy and so is everyone else. I know people say you shouldnt tip unless they deserve it but from what I can see they all deserve it for just being there smiling and getting paid what they do.

Back on the road I crossed the border from Botswana to Namibia no real dramas must admit was getting pretty tired by now it was still sitting just on 40c The Namibian customs guy says where you staying in Namibia i just say i dont know, where should i stay. He gives me a tip on a few lodges not far away and puts it in the paperwork and away i go. Go outside and have a chat to one of the local guys hanging around outside the office the people in Botswana are really pretty friendly. We stood around jibbering for 10 minutes and then I said goodbye and hit the road, standing around in 40 degree heat in motorcycle gear isnt conjusive to staying cool.

Rode off onto the Namibian dirt roads again and headed towards where the customs guy had told me the lodge was. Was a little bit further than he said but thats standard. Eventually I come to the turn off its only a few k's down to the camp but its deep soft sand, damn no way I think im riding 50 metres in this shit so turn around and hit the road again, the border cop did say there was 5 or 6 along here so it's no drama I'll find something, the next one sign had a hotel the road looked ok but the sign had no pool on it so I thought mmm maybe the next one, flying along oh shit there was another one and that had a pool on the sign oh well I've gone past it now ill get the next one, you guess it no pool on the sign, ok the next one, sandy crappy road ok the next one I'm going in whether there is a pool on the sign or the road is crappy I'm running out of options.

Ride in and by this time im so rooted my back is killing me and im struggling to stand up straight, its so friggin ordinary. It certainly is a pain in the ass to have to push yourself so hard all the time but the alternative of just sitting on my ass and doing nothing and still being sore all the time isnt really all that appealing. I asked the girl if theres any vacancies which she says yes then i ask how much, WTF HOW MUCH ahahahah oh well stuff it im not in much of a state to go look anywhere else im already struggling badly. Put it this way any guys camping aren't going to stay here there a few weeks camping fees in one night. Im so lucky to just be able to walk up to any place of any standard and just go yep im in, certainly takes a lot of pressure off me, id certainly have to reevaluate how far I travelled in a day if I had to stuff around looking for something cheaper especially in this heat.

So grab a key to the room start walking to it and its down this big hill a few hundred metres from the reception and carrying all my gear to it isnt really an option in the state im in so I drop what i have in my hands and walk back to get the bike and ride all my gear down to the room. Walked in, its really nice 5 star stuff so lie down in a lounge and put the air con on and take a few minutes to let the pain die down a bit. I was only out on the road for 7 hours including that effort to fix those pc's but thats enough when you feel like I do and its 40 odd Celsius. Take all my gear off which takes 2 minutes and the phone rings and the girl says you cant take the bike down there and are you coming back up to pay, I felt like saying go F$&k yourself but just said I had to get all my gear to my room and ill be up in a minute.

So I ride the bike back up to the car park and walk over to the office and pay, order a couple of cokes and ice and go and jump in the swimming pool. Ahh now thats better. While I was relaxing in the pool I noticed a few oldies starting to hang around the office so I asked the girl what are they up to and she tells me that they are going on a cruise on the river, cool book me on too so off I go to get my camera and head on over to the boat cruise. I was still pretty tired but im only here the night and i really did want to go for a cruise on this end of the Ochavango Delta. Obviously being the kind of place it was the boat was pretty nice so that made for a very relaxing enjoyable cruise to see hippos, crocodiles, the Poppa Falls and all the locals that live and use the river for their every day life from fishing bathing and just staying cool.

The other tourist's that I was on the boat with were probably in their late 60's to 70's and some of them looked absolutely exhausted must be hard to travel in one of those big bus trucks they use with activity after activity trying to fit everything into a few weeks. I did have some sympathy for the old dude sitting next to me he looked so stuffed he certainly looked like he'd had enough for the day, he was probably looking at me thinking this young whipper snapper looks like death warmed up or whatever they say in German.

Got back from the cruise feeling alot better after relaxing for a few hours on the beautiful delta and headed back to my room for awhile. In the room there was a big bath and I thought why not so turned the taps on and went and relaxed waiting for it to fill. Jumped in and it was actually so relaxing soaking in a hot tub spent over an hour in there then a nice shower got changed and headed up to the four course meal that was part of the price. I must admit the dinner was absolutely beautiful starter was some tuna shit but bloody nice then the brought out another pasta mornay dish of some type, he asked if im enjoying i said yes you keep bringing this food and ill keep eating it, its beautiful. Had rump steak for main again then a chocalate putting with custard. "Ohhhh yes rather nice" hahaha im saying that in a snobbish tone if you cant hear it.

Finished dinner had a quick chat to the South Africa guy that was the tour leader of the other group that I had met on the river cruise and he gave me some good tips on the Vic falls and Kasane on the border and that I should spend a bit of time there as the animal life is amazing, ill work that out as I go and get closer. All in all a pretty exhausting day but finished off brilliantly. Ill head off tomorrow and head across the Caprivi strip and get to Katimo Mulilo or over that way somewhere. Wherever I end up I wont be far from the Vic Falls. What a day, had it all again, very exhausting, lots of pain, lots of relaxing, lots of beautiful scenary and more importantly great memories.

You just have to put up with some accomadation dont you

Guess where the lonely guy is sitting for dinner, bloody beautiful 4 course meal though.

Poppa Fall Botswana
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 02:04 PM
Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #208
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a good nights sleep I actually was dead to the world not long after hitting the fart sack and didnt budge till i woke up at 3:30 with all the lights still on so im guessing I was tired.

Ended up waking up at 6am bloody hippos making a racket outside my window, fair dinkum, thought about hurling some abuse at them but im trying to find inner peace ahahaha not to mention me and that huge hippo might be related, im sure ive been with his mother somewhere along the line. Yeah thats right, you bitch ahahahah i wonder why im single, ive got no idea.

Went over had breakfeast and packed slowly so ended up hitting the road a around 8am. Im only riding to Katimo Mulilo the border crossing between Namibia and Zambia and it was only about 350 k's so should be there at a good time and nothing to strenuous. Top up with fuel up the road and that was it I had 3 odd hours of just riding along a dead straight road.

At one stage I had to stop as I was getting sore again but I thought I haven't got far to go today so I wont push it and when I feel like I need a break ill have one. They had said ill see elephants on the Caprivi Strip but not only did I not see any elephants I didnt see one elephant crap on the road so a good sign there was f$&k all of them around. There were signs saying elephants everywhere and a speed limit of 80 kmh but I wasnt to fussed and sat on a cruising speed of about 150+ k's.

Came across two brothers Simon and Phillip that had cycled from Luzern in Switzerland down the west coast of Africa but then had to fly across to Nairobi as they had some issues getting their visa's sorted for Angola. We chatted for awhile talking about the roads in Namibia and pointed out which the roads they had penned in on their trip that were dirt. They had been travelling for just over a year. I gave them my South African sim card for the phone cause im pretty sure it had a few hundred rand of credit on it and I wont be using it again. That reminds me I should email them the phone number that goes with it. Simon asked me what I want for it I just said you can buy me a beer in Switzerland. They still had a fair bit of riding today, they asked me if there was a village up ahead where they could get something to eat, I told them there was a village not far up the road but after I got back on my bike and rode off I thought hang on I was doing 150kmh it might take them awhile longer on a pushbike in the heat, oh well they'll get there eventually.

Back on the road and only a 150k's or so to go was starting to get a bit warmish 37 up to 39 but after the last week 37 was paradise. Arrived in Katimo Mulilo and saw a lodge right on the town with a soccer game going on across the road so that was me, firstly though ill go check out the soccer. Stopped and watched in the shade for half an hour talking to a few of the boys found out there were a few other games on today so said ill go check in a come back over.

Got a nice little cabin air con fridge so all good and 240 rand a night 30 odd aussie bucks or whatever it is. Parked the bike went inside and relaxed for a little while. I still had a few Namibian bucks that once I crossed the border would be useless to me so went for a walk to the servo next door to get a drink and there was a group of kids collecting water as the town water was off, so grabbed 10 cans of drinks and went outside with a few bags of cokes fantas etc and the kids all hooked in. While I was walking back in to get my own drink a few older blokes who were working there saw what I had just done and with a smile on their faces were jestering where's ours, I went into the shop and thought why not and bought the boys a 6 pack of Windhoek Lager to share. When I walked over with them they were stoked, at 48 rand a six pack or about 6 bucks Aussie it was a good way to make friends.

Headed back over to the soccer and watched for a few hours, not real flash standard but the pitch looked crap though it had grass and was pretty even contests the games I saw. It was still really hot so they certainly were doing it tough out in the middle. Said my goodbyes to a few of the boys then left about 5 to walk over to Pick and Pay the local supermarket to get dinner, they always have hot meals for sale in the supermarkets and alot of people eat in them so they have to be ok. Went back to the cabin and chilled watching tv. Walked over to watch the Sharks Golden Lions Currie Cup Final unfortunately the Sharks got touched up. Was thinking of Tizi, Caryn, JJ and all the crew would of been upset but cant win it every year I guess.

Basically a pretty good day sort of undecided what to do tomorrow may even stay a day or two here im pretty sure Victoria Falls isnt going anywhere and theres another day of soccer on tomorrow.
Adios or in Namibia I should say Guten Nacht.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 02:10 PM
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #209
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Well woke at a reasonable hour slept ok but once I ventured out of bed I thought stuff it im staying again and going to watch some soccer.*

So did bugger all rode up to the border post had a squiz where it was then rode back to the soccer ground a settled in for awhile.

Everyones really nice around here feeling quite relaxed and enjoying being in Katimo Mulilo.

Maybe ill leave tomorrow ha ha

Oh tried again with the computer with no luck getting it to fire up makes it hard to up load pics so sorry for anyone wanting pictures and I must admit ive got a few good ones id like to upload.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 09:32 AM
Old 10-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #210
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Woke up at 7am thinking good time to leave but looked at all my gear and thought stuff it im just going to go for a ride around here and see if I missed anything. Well surprise surprise I didnt but spent time on the Zambezi River which was nice. Thought id go to the bank while I was in town to get some US dollars for when I cross the border so thats just another thing taken care of.

Had a chat to a few of the security guys outside the bank, I must admit this town is supposed to be lower on the socio economic scale than a few other places in Namibia but I havent been approached once so far and asked for anything, ok other than the boys the other day after they saw me giving the kids a drink. It seems really nice and the people pretty friendly.

Came back at around 10ish it was already 38c so came inside and enjoyed the air con for awhile. Hung around, my little cabin is right up the front of this place which is cool I just have to sit on the verandah and someone eventually stops for a brief hello. They are all Namibians or whatever around here so english isnt their first language so the conversations are generally fairly brief but its fun trying to chat anyway.

Went for a walk to grab some lunch and one of the boys that I grabbed the beers for the other days waved and shouted howsit. I went into the shop and while I was waiting for my burger to be cooked I stuck my head out the door and gestered to him does he want a drink, as you can imagine in nearly 40 degree heat a big smile came to his face and he came over to the shop. I just said grab what you like so he goes and grabs a strawberry yogurt and I pay for his drink and he takes off outside while I wait for my burger. As I walk out I see him giving his mate a slug so I walk over and ask if he wants one too and of course silly question so I slip him 50 rand and off he runs to grab it.*

He comes back hands me the change and we all sit around having a drink jibbering, they reckon they could live on one of the yogurts a day for the rest of their life so im guessing they are enjoying it.

I head back to my cabin theres a few little tackers near the gate their mums have a little stall selling bits and pieces to make a few bucks.

This afternnon I thought Id go over to the shop and buy a red texta to colour the red in on my aussie flag on my bike which has faded. While im walking over one of the security guys I was talking to this morning comes past on his shitty old push bike and with a big smile on his face shouts out this my BMW hahaha to funny

While im at the shops I decide to buy a full pack of texta and a drawing book for the kids over near the entrance to the lodge. As I walked back I stopped at their stall and said I bought these but I only need the red *one would you like these for the kids. As you can imagine they were very happy and I went out a little while later and the kids and mums were all drawing and colouring. Its not much it cost like 30 rand or about 4 aussie bucks *but they probably dont make enough money to go lash out on things like that and its nice to see people smiling.

Its really nice to just hang around and slowly get to know people around here and meeting a lot of them at the soccer over the weekend, I can imagine this town is one that travellers would rarely stop for more than just a night which is fair enough cause there is sweet fa here but the people are really nice, I like it here but tomorrow im leaving for the Victoria Falls. I think at 240 rand a night im saving money on my budget hahaha budget who cares, trip of a life time, ill do whatever I want cause when I go home im just going to grow old become a cranky old f$&k and complain about how bad my back is. I can hear it now piss off ya young whipper snapper or ill give ya a strappin to an inch of your life. I cant wait.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 08:57 PM