User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #226
tarletan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Backpackers Zambia

Looks like a decent spot for a bit of R&R noice scenery.
tarletan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #227
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Great report so far. I hope u are ok to finish out your adventures. Look forward to some pics.
Cheers NightShadow, yeah im fine i really needed this break as easy as it sounds like ive been taking it.
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #228
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok how do I explain this one.

I decided to go for a ride to nowhere this afternoon so off I go heading out towards the falls for no particular reason. As im riding along I think I should go have a look at this Waterfront Lodge everyone keeps talking about its the place where the booze cruise on the Zambezi River starts and finishes. Ok theres the turn off im going down there to have a look. I ride in yep this looks nice but its pretty quiet. As I get off my bike I notice a little motorbike with a Riders for Health sticker on it, as I am raising awareness for Riders for Health on my adventure it immediately caught my eye. I wonder who owns it, oh well first things first ill grab a beer and relax. For anyone that hasnt visited my website one of the charities im raising awareness and donations for is Riders for Health founded by Barry and Andrea Coleman and former Moto GP rider Randy Mamola back in the late 80's. When they were in Somalia they found a motorcycle that had been dontated with 300k's on the clock trashed cause no one could fix it, so Riders for Health was born right there and now Riders for Health train local people to maintain and repair as well as donate motorcycles so that the medical staff of certain countries in Africa can get out to the masses that otherwise have no access to medical healthcare.

Anyway back to the story I walk in and buy myself a beer and sit down with the only other person in the place a Finnish guy and we jibber on for about 30 minutes about travel where and when bla bla bla and while we are chatting two couples walk over and sit a few tables away. Im sort of looking at this bloke thinking shit that looks like Randy Mamola nah couldnt be he's speaking Spanish but friggin hell dead ringer anyway. I go out to the desk and ask the receptionist and point the dude out asking does she know his name and she says no, I said geez what kind of receptionist are you not knowing your guests names to which we both had a laugh. We chatted for a minute having a joke around and she says there was a whole lot of them on the same little bike as the one in the car park that came in yesterday.

I walk back in and sit down and think stuff it im going to go ask this guy what his name is so I walk over and say hi my name is Sheldon Thomson whats your name and he sort of looks at me going whats this jive turkey want and says im Randy Mamola, I just said ha i'm riding through Africa raising money and awarness for you.

What a friggin classic ive been travelling for 11 months and here I am on a ride to nowhere this afternoon stopping in a bar on the Zambezi River that I hadnt been to in the month ive been in Livingstone with Randy Mamola and his wife Barbara, Alvaro Bautista former 125 world champion and current Moto Gp rider and his girl.

I'll finish this blog later its 1 am almost and im pretty stuffed, i must admit i was a little overwhelmed by what happened tonight but all I can think to say whoever is guiding me on this journey what a top job your doing, keep up the good work, hang on lets not call it work keep up the good times, yeah that sounds better just loving every single moment of it all. Thanks Randy, Barbara, Alvaro, Janet and all the crew for such a friendly welcome to your group and I hope all your travels home to your families are quick and safe.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 03:22 PM
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #229
Edventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Brilliant!!!
Edventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #230
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

These blogs go back a fair way back without to many photos so here picture to get you interested, to bad theres no more like this The beauty isnt just in the scenary and the animals here in Africa
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 03:23 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #231
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up early again the chalet is quite warm so waking up early but that was nice got to say good good bye to My and Luneer who were finally leaving after an extra day with all their yellow fever shots and malaria stuff. Was nice to meet and spent a little time with them they are both really nice girls. After they left just setlled in for another day of chatting and hanging around it really is fun its one of the first well it is the first backpackers ive stayed in on my travels so its really good, I sort of need it too im quite comfortable to be by myself in some remote wildeness area but the trip was as much about my recovery as just going for a ride so being around people is all part of that.

My on the right and Luneer on the left with some ring in we picked up along the way, damn competition is tough around here, should be able to buy him of pretty cheap though.

I used to be pretty social but since the accident it would be no dramas for me to go inside and not come out for a week at all have the blinds pulled the doors shut and not talk to anyone. I remember my mate Andy puttign it into perspective when he said whats a dog do when it gets hit by a car it runs under the house and hides well that exactly what iwas doing but ok it went on a little but longer than probably should of but I never felt depressed about it i always just thought of it this is my time to recover and when `i come out ill come out when im ready and always knew that so was never in a rush, so basically being in here having to talk to everyone all the time is in sorts part of my reemerging into the world as silly as that sounds when im travelling around Australia Thailand New Zealnd South Africa Namibia Botswana and now Zambia for 10 months.

Went back down earlier to the computer guy and see how he was going but he hadnt got to it yet as he had some other jobs and the power had been out again for a big part of the day must be near ny impossible to do alot of things here as the power seems to be down for atleast 3 or 4 hoursa a day which must be a nightmare for businesses. He said to come back tomorrow and he will ahve it going so that will be good been without a comouter for awhile now the blogging is a real pain in the ass with a pc and using the iphone tap tap tap slow and steady compared to just banging out a blog of whats happened in the day in a few minutes.

The bikes been sitting there pretty patienly so eventually ill have to get it out and take it for a ride though I know I have lots of riding to come so its nice to just have a break from riding theres really not much to ride to around here you go 5 k's out of town and its just little villages dotting the road.

Ended up downing a couple again with Anton and a few of the other crew so that was a bit of fun again, oh well another day down see what tomor row brings hopefully ill get my computer back so i can get online the computers in the shop here are poop and im not really interested in uploading 5 photos and hour which it itook me the other day big yawn that was.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 07:45 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #232
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hung around the backpackers again today, its always good you meet and talk to so many people, hearing so many fantastic stories, its always interesting. So basically just hung out with the crew jibbering till in the afternoon then we started drinking, was quite a few people around so that was good, the local dancers were on tonight so everyone is here so made for a good night. Alan his wife from who own a B&B in Scotland and myself were watching the England v Spain game over the top of the dnacers so that took a little bit away from what they were doing but it is in the middle of a backpackers so it had already lost a fair bit of its clout, if you pictured it in a darkened village around a fire it would of been great. Ended up pretty smashed actually, pissed as a maggot would be a better term. Me and Anton wandered over to the other crew that were on the pool table and ping pong table and joined in on the fun there.

There was a few American who had just arrived playing the South African boys and the boys were complaining that one of the American girls had wiped the board with them at ping pong and asked me if i could play and beat her, of course to set the mood I asked what is the game called to which i think ive seen this ping pong thing on TV so im happy to give it a go. So ok away we go, I ask Maddie do I play it left or right handed just to lull her into a false sense of security and then proceeded to woop her by 10 points which made all the boys happy, that we had the title back and there wasnt an American girl strutting around like king shit.

We actually played again this time the game was a little closer but I still held on for a win I dont know why I let her challenge me a second time its always good to retire with the title and give no rematches but this time it all worked out for the best. Me and maddie decided to team up and give the boys a game of pool again i said yeah i think ive seen this game somewhere whats it called ill give it a go so off we go and me and maddie held onto the table for the next hour or so till weve both had enough. Im guessing shes spent some time in a pub in her years or had brothers and had them at home growing up as she was pretty good at both games. Ended up calling it a night pretty late and blind drunk so had another fun night here at Jollyboys.

The local reggae band playing the tunes for the crowd at Jollyboys

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 06:10 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #233
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Did sweet fa today hung around just lounging in the pool and drinking water for awhile the power had been off this morning so the beer was hot but a few of the boys were into warm beer but not this little black duck. Sat down and had a chat with Anton Tobi and a few of the other crew if you sit still you will eventually talk to everyone in the place at some stage.
Eventually got off my ass and went to do my washing what a pain in the ass Iím not minding Africa but if they make me wash my clothes by hand in a friggin tub again Iím out of here thats hard yakka surely thereís got to be a little local girl to do it for you somewhere lol. Eventually got it done I had nothing else to wear and I had been wearing the same stuff for two days so was definitely time to wash.
Antonís leaving tomorrow a few days late but I think thatís pretty standard for a lot of people, its one of those places that you can easily get stuck a few extra days so we had a few extra beers than we normally would, ok we had the same or more it seems pretty standard that we sit up till around midnight drinking but thats cool we were'nt not bashing them down we are only going at about 10 an hour ahahahah ok not that fast but its the thought that counts.

Just chucking in a randon photo of some animals here and there so this is a nice one of a Leopard in a tree.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #234
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Slept in till 9:30 today for the first time in ages which was nice for a change it was pretty cool and by that I mean it was only 29 degrees celcius.
Hung around with the crew so had a pretty relaxing morning and lunch around the lodge. Wina came around to visit id been pretty slack with the local friends id made but i have enjoyed just being quiet and staying in and doing nothing.
Had to move rooms again today so was a added small burdan but its what i have to expect if im not going to book more than a day in advance. Said to them if they move me again im definatly leaving third times a charm so hopefully they will ask me if im staying beofre they book the room out again. So basically between sitting in the pool and relaxing talking to nice people was a very en joyable morning.

Was just hanging out just at Jollyboys and a few of the girls Sara and Zhalee were heading over to the Royal hotel over at the falls its a 5 star ladida place rooms are 500 bucks so you get the drift. it is very nice we sat down for afternnon tea well I had a Windhoek Lager and quiche yeah i know harden up but it was the only hot thing on the menu all the rest was chocalate eclairs and cakes and sweets sweets and more sweets.

This picture was taken another day with the boys having a beer over looking the Victoria falls from the Royal in Livingstone.

Went down the waterfront with the girls after eating and had a beer on the Zambezi River just above the Vic Falls watching hippos play around in the waters edge all very nice and good company. Left my helmet at the bar and the guy at the bar put it in the glass cabinet with all the old artifacts so when I walked back in i shouted out him is that Livingstones first helmet was funny in there with all the old antique stuff.

Jumped on the bike and headed back to Jollyboys and worked on the computer finally had some success with the internet tethering so thats a positive and now just relaxing having a beer and catching up some blogging. Just booked for another night so after tonight so im here for a few more days yet oh well ill leave when i leave.

The view from over at the Royal hotel its certainly worth coming over for a quiet afternoon beer

The crew of guys I was hanging out with at Jollyboys
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 07:48 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #235
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Still here in Livingstone I know hurry up this blog is getting boring but my day certainly wasnt was alot of fun amongs't alot of relaxation and good company. Got out of bed around 9:30 today, its nice, its been cooler and no dramas to sleep in, cruised over for the standard breakfeast ive been having, a coke and bacon tomato and egg sambo then had a chat to a few people, jumped in the pool for a n hour or two, in saying its cooler it was still 36 degree Celsius so still warm but its noticably cooler with a nice breeze with the sun behind the clouds. Toby left to day he has had a great holiday, but back to the grind at his desk computer programming and the every day humdrum of life for him. He was leaving on the same flight as a nice dutch couple i had only met briefly, Evelyn, I know ive probably got that wrong but im pretty sure it started with E was it just Eva, anyway she was an occupational therapist and he was in to conselling or physciarty they could come in handy, she said some of her family were physios so I can get treatment then he can slip me drugs for depression, oh yeah you try riding a motorbike around the world having a totally great life seeing amazing stuff meeting nice people you might be drepressed too.

Met a couple of really nice girls Elisa and Elaine there off to Namibia but like a lot of people that pass through here open to change and still undecided as Victoria Falls is the one place you want to go to, then its all open after that. Elaine only has a week off work from lecturing in Lusaka University so their trip to Namibia and Sossusvlei which they ended up deciding on will be a long journey in a week, but im sure they will have an amazing adventure even with all that nothingness they will have to cover to get there, that is part of it around this part of the world. Elaine was a little worried about driving and understandably with the remoteness of some of it as im sure a lot of people are when it comes to driving in areas like that but they'll be fine.

Decided to jump on the bike and go for a ride to nowhere ended up just riding out to the airport then headed back out of town to the little local market I went to with the Swedish girls, My and Lunear the other day. I was just riding around in my thongs flip flops jandals whatever you want to call them and boardies and a t-shirt and decided to just follow everyone that was walking down a track to see where it took me. I was heading back into Livingstone so thought it might be a off road way back into town. I took on the first creek which was cool it was just a single trail and winding through long deep bush through shallowish water, peg deep so nothing to bad but went round the next little bend and theres a really deep section the locals have rocks all placed so they can jump from one to another and then theres a really steep bank on the other side. I know I hear it, ya bloody pussy but it was deep for me so a South African would of called it an ocean and the bank on the other side was steep and with no run up most certainly would of been tricky so I dogged it. Look if I was in boots and protective gear I would of probably at least given it a go but not today. So I bashed the bike around and headed back the way I came which was tricky in itself riding over water big rocks and back up the bank I had come down.

I started riding back and as I came back into the village I saw a couple of young guys standing out playing with an old steel rim and pusing it along with a stick. I stopped and asked if they would like to sit on my bike and start it up and they were a bit hesitant at first but then one of them jumped on then the other then the other. I asked them if they wanted to go for a ride and they were like umm no but by this time as they were revving the bike up their family had come out to see what all the commotion was. I was makinjg like a chicken to the boys and all the mums were laughing and giggling so the old man says ok I'll go on it and grabs his sons and on they get and we go for a ride. Took them about a k down the road to the creek and turned around and came back and the old man chucked one kid off and wanted to go again, he was obviously enjoying it to as much as the kids. So we grabbed another kid and off we went down and back again everyone watching us laughing and smiling in the village. I couldnt see there faces but im guessing they had big grins on their faces behind me. Got back again and the old man wanted to go again, so I told him to get off and let the other kids have a ride so on a another few piled and off we went again. By the time everyone in the village was watching and smiling away at everyones fun, I was doing no hands stretching my arms out saying to the kids, arms out like and aero plane so they did and added to the laughs and smiles from everyone, there was lots of laughing and giggling going on but as soon as we hit a little bump they grabbed me so tight was really funny.

Got back again and took another two kids and then the mothers wanted a go we were all laughing as one fo them jumped on and off we went. Im pretty sure she hadnt been on a motorbike before she was hanging on for grim death it really was funny, when we got back everyone was laughing hysterically then another mother got on with her tiny little son probably about 2 if that and off we went. By this time there were a few other kids standing around and i took them then there was this really cute kid looked like he wasnt from this family but dressed in basically rags so I chucked one on the back and let him sit in front of me with his hands on the handle bars like he was riding the bike and off up through the village we went everyone watching laughing smiling, it was so much fun. Came back and dumped them off the bike and said thats it I really have to go now. So shook hands with everyone and headed off without about 20 smiling happy people waving at me. Its times like this I wish I could video it amazing experience.

Got back to Jollyboys had a swim and chilled for awhile and walked ouit to my bike only to find i had a flat back tyre, oh well if im going to get them in a town the size of Livingstone is perfect lets hope that luck continues, im not looking forward to the day when I get a flat in the middle of nowhere by myself but you deal with these things when they happen.

Stuck the compressor on it while thinking ill pump it up and meet the guys and gals over at the Royal overlooking the falls. I pumped it up but it went straight back down so its a pretty good hole obviously. No big drama ill jump a taxi and head over there. One of the girls Danielle who actually lives in Tanzania and is a costume designer from Manhatten (would be interesting to talk to her some more) she was heading to one of the other lodges for a overland trip so she got dropped off and away I went to the Royal to meet up with the crew.

Sam, Sara and Zhaleh were sitting on the front deck but I joined i joined Elaine and Eliza who were sitting just behind them on the upper deck and grabbed a beer and sat down to relax and watch the sunset over the Victoria Falls. Standard stuff watching hippos. elephants and monkeys pretty nice setting I must say. Sat around for awhile chatting and mentioned to Elaine about joining them for dinner but sort of got a feeling they wanted to do that by themselves so said my goodbyes and got up to jump a taxi back with the other guys. While we were walking out I thought stuff it ill ask if these guys would like to have dinner my shout so of course didnt take much convincing in a place like this. We walked up and asked if we could get a table but they weren't taking any outsiders but next door at the Zambezi Sun was.

No probs we walk into reception ok we want to go to the other resort for dinner so in a inter hotel taxi we get and go over to the Zambezi Sun. Walked in it was the resort I had been in the other week and got the photos of the boys over my bike still 5 star and very nice.

Was a buffet dinner 43 bucks each and we certainly got our moneys worth, I think in the end I had about a 7 course meal Sam had about 10 and Sara and Zhaleh didnt go wanting either was really really nice. The one I enjoyed most was the crocodile stew was excellent. we arrived there at 6:45 and ate and drunk till 10:30 so it was a really nice night, I really enjoyed sharing it with them I've eaten in some nice restaraunts in my travels but you know sitting there by yourself in a top restaraunt just doesent have the same enjoyment, good people good food in a really nice enviroment made for topping off a real nice day.

Got back to Jollyboys had one more beer and then called it a night and headed to my back room. The room im in at the moment is probably close to the worst room ive stayed at in Africa, well id have to say it is for 50 bucks but its a room and i only have to sleep in it. If you ever come here to Jollyboys and your not into sharing a dorm with all the others get one of the chalets with a shared toilet there actually really nice, the share toilets are good so that's all you need and they are a fair bit cheaper.

All the kids around Wina's place that I bought chicken and drinks for on an other occasion, we had a great afternoon that day riding up and down the street they all go to go for a ride around the block, at one point some dude comes up to me and says, are you a missionary I said no mate I'm a motorcycle rider.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 07:53 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #236
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Relaxing day by the pool today AGAIN its a hard life, said alot of goodbyes today people going back home mostly flying to Joburg then off to wherever in the world from there makes me appreciate again the opportunity I have to just sit down and relax and move on when I want.

The Australia v South Africa cricket test match starts today, oh no that isnt conjusive to good movement, I will be forced to sit around and have a few beers with the South African crew and enjoy another hard day at the office.

Did look at my tyre on my bike and went and saw the guys over at the tyre place just up the road, they said they will fix it for me but im a little hesitant to trust a car tyre place take my rear wheel off my bike and put it all back together safely, what they say they can and what they actually can do might be two different things, so I may just supervise them just to make sure everything goes back on the way it came off.

Another random animal photo from the Kruger National Park.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 06:01 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #237
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Missed a day but didnt do anything other than take the bike across the road to the tyre fixed which worked out easy.
So today was much of the same hanging out by the pool relaxing then jumped on the bike around lunch time and went for a ride to check out some of the surrounding villages of Livingstone which is always interesting. Came back around 3 and chilled for awhile then Sam and Sarah Craig and his wife were heading down to the Cafe Zambezi for dinner so thought id take along. The dinner was pretty poop but id bought bottle of jack Daniels to have a few drinks so me Sam and Craig knocked that back. We were starting to get a little pissy by the time we finished dinner. Graig and his girl got a taxi home and me Sarah and Sam headed across the road for a drink at one of the bars and thats when the fun started.

From there we hooked up with the manager of the place and he tooks on a tour of all the clubs in Livingstone. fortunately or unfortunately id been to the bank before dinner to get money to pay all my bills so i had shitloads of money, well if you call having 2 million kwacha in your pocket 400 hundred AUD and a beer costs 12 kwacha then I had a bit on me, made for a very very very funny blind drunk night and everyone that even came near us was drinking and having fun, totally hilarious night and it was fun being the token white dudes in the club, at one point we had managers of two clubs with us and when we arrived at the last we had guys piling out of the boot of the car we were in, was a fun time. Didnt have any troubles at all everyone was just so friendly and made us feel really welcome.

Im pretty sure I tried to crack onto this chick last night lol
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 04:40 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #238
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

M issed a few days off blogging but basically been sitting on my ass watching the Aussie v South Africa cricket with Kiwi Sam South Africans John and Vicki. During the afternoon we went and played the Royal Livingstone Golf Course ha ha Ill see if you can tell how I went by my next comment, "what a goat track im never playing there again" seriously though the fairway grass was like 8 inches long and the rough well dont mention that bloody nightmare almost unplayable well after the first we called it a draw and allowed each other to find some grass under a metre long . Im sure they dont get to many people here playing so to run the lawn mowers might cut into what budget they have, if they even have one down there. We played prefer lie but at some stages you had to move it 10 metres to find grass under a foot long. Anyway was nice hitting the ball around, struggled towards the end of nine holes and had to pick my ball up had shanked the back so im sure ill pay for that in the next few days but oh well was nice to be out their hitting a ball around with a few of the boys even if it was badly.

Wina came around later in the evening having a go at me for not dropping around more to see him and the kids yeah whatever everytime I walk out there gate everyone wants a peice of you over here selling their trinkets or Zimbabwe money etc so im not going to get to upset about it. Unfortunately Ethan has lost the soccer ball I gave him it went over the fence and some other kid took off with it apparently, oh well shit happens I said in the good ol days you probably got a woopin for being so careless with stuff that was just given to you but as John said theres every likely hood it was given away and they expect another one but not this time. I said to Wina mate it will teach him a lesson to look after his shit a bit better cause im not buying another one as much as id like too. He said Ethan had been crying all afternoon to which I said well thats tough titties he"ll get over it.

Its good to stay here for awhile you sought of see how dependant alot of the people are here on handouts from just about anyone who will care, and there is alot of them around, I guess being a tourist town there is more people like that trying to pry money of the tourists which is standard at least when they are trying to part you from your money there doing it with a big smile on their face.

Wina's kids Ethan and Brenda on the bike.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 04:45 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #239
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Havent blogged for awhile just more of the same enjoying good company getting blind drunk had an hilarious night out with Jenny, Elaine, Eliza who had come back from a succesful trip to Namibia, Sam and Alex. Jenny is one of the funniest drunks ive ever met bloody classic.

Jenny in the middle, this is as clear as it got all night very blurring hey.

Had a few more good nights around Jollyboys as well and went around to visit a few of the friends I had made in the last month here. The people around here are very dependant but I met one really lovely family and they were the only ones that hadnt ask for anything in the times I had been with them and had been invited to dinner at their house but that isnt going to happen as the decision has been made tomorrow im leaving Jollyboys and Livingstone and head to Lake Kariba and Tiger fishing with Dave, the Isreali guys Gill, and Ron, and the Americans Nat and Sam. The blew into town a few days ago and we have had a good time drinking and jibbering so when they said they were going it made for an easy decision.

Ive had an fantastic time here in Livingstone and the staff and local crew have made my time here one to remember and very hard to leave but leave I will. I wonder where this turn will take me time will tell and im looking forward to it.

A photo of John and Vicki a really nice couple from South Africa who I enjoyed watching the cricket with, they had retired now but John had worked for the British High Commission in places like Bangladesh and other not so rich parts of the world, Vicki jokingly said he made all the little decisions like world peace and solving world hunger I made the big decisions on where we lived and what we drove, what a fantastic couple we really had a nice time together hanging out.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 07:55 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #240
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

What a day im absolutely stuffed, woke up at 7 and started packing as I had stuff everywhere so it wasnt just a simple job of packing the bike. The boys werent in any hurry so that helped as they had the same or more packing to do. Sam and Nat have decided that they dont really have the time to go to Kariba as they have only two days to get too the north of Lusaka to get the train to Dar as salam and then to Zanzibah so that drops the crew down by 2. We got packed and I said goodbye to everyone John and Vicki such a great couple it was such a pleasure to share some time with them while I was there and ill never forget the memories of watching the South Africa Australia cricket test matches with them, there was just so many memorable moments in both games. Im sorry I didnt get to catch up with Faith and some of the other crew it was such a late decision to leave I was gone before they came in, they made my time here so much fun.

I jumped on the bike and rode out the gate at 11:15am rode up the road to get petrol and sat there waiting for the boys. I waited 5 minutes then thought stuff it ill hit it and hook up with them on the road somewhere. I started riding and after about an hour started to feel tired I guess it was the early start all the packing and the emotion of leaving after a month so i decided just find a nice spot to pull over have a rest and wait for the guys. Found a nice tree in the middle of nowhere pulled over and sat down, hung there for about 30 minutes and fell asleep for about 10 minutes which ended up being a bonus as the day wore on.

Decided to get going so gave the guys a call to find out where they were and they were just down the road so waited for them. They stopped for a few minutes and we took off shortly after onwards towards Choma halfway or thereabouts from Livingstone to Lusaka. We stopped for a drink just outside Choma in a nice little cafť, if it had fuel would be a good little business. Ron was hungry so we decided to head into Choma and stopped for awhile to have a look around. It's a pretty shitty town and wasnt what I expected not that i expected much it just seems Choma gets mentioned alot as the turn off to everywhere everyone seems to volunteer around here.

There wasnt much there that took Rons fancy so I fueled up the bike and we hit the road to the next town and hour away.
We stopped for lunch in Mu??????/ whatever the hell it was called, it was was getting on towards 4 oclock in the afternoon by now so a late lunch. We went into the local Spa which is the local supermarket if I havent mentioned that before and I hooked into a Pasti of some kinds a pack of biscuits and some milk so I was fueled back up to some degreee but its still pretty warm so didnt need much. The pasti was gross the biscuits were to sweet and I ended up giving them to two little girls walking along the road who had walked past us. We hung there for awhile having a relax and decided we better get back on the road as it was getting late. I dont think anyone had any real idea how long this journey was going to take us but when I mentioned it to one of the guys at Jollyboys and said we are heading to Lake Kariba and said today he questioned whether we would get there in one hit which sort of surprised me but by now that reaction was starting to make sense.

Rode for another hour and then came across a road block where they were diverting traffic off onto a dirt road. Apparently there were riots going on, we heard later a policeman had shot a local and as you can imagine things spiralled downhill from there. As we headed out it was a pretty decent dirt road and the wind was blowing across the cars so the dust was clearing pretty quickly but when trucks went past you had this few seconds of blindness but nothing to bad, but that was about to change. We continured along for about 20 or 30 minutes and then turned right and straight into the wind and that was the start of a horrendus section of riding.

As soon as we turned the road turned to deep soft red sand and I couldnt see anything whatsoever so here i am been riding for about 5 or so hours pretty knackered already and cant see a bloody thing in front of me and i mean anything, theres cars in front of me, cars coming in the opposite direction and cars right behind me with no one wanting to slow down cause if you stop in this stuff and you aint going anywhere so everyones giving it everything they've got. I rode like this for a few hundred metres both feet down doing my utmost to keep the bike upright but enough was enough i had to pull off the road if i came down in that situation someone would run over me without even seeing me and that might be an ideal situation.

I waited a few minutes for a gap in the traffic so at least I couldnt see where I was going to hit the road and away I went. The boys had stopped up ahead as they had lost site of me so that was nice and we had a bit of a break for a minute I had a drink to wash the sand and dust out of my gob and away we went again. A few more k's I was starting to think shit this better not go on to much longer or ill be stuffed but as hard as it was I was really enjoying the challenge.

We came across a long line of cars stopped ahead and there was a single lane bridge with a massive crowd watching everyone take it on. I stopped and talked to a few of the locals and asked them whether id be able to get the bike through and they nodded and said yes. So away I went dust everywhere could hardly see anything in the deep soft red sand cars up my ass certainly a spot i wouldnt of wanted to come off or i would of found myself under the wheels of the truck behind, to be quite honest i was having a ball as hard as it was, a huge crowd watching all the cars and dust flying everywhere and me of course being on my bike in that deep stuff spinning the wheel dust flying everywhere got special attention.

Finally made it up the other side and fortunatly that was the last part of the real difficult dirt and about 10k's further along we turned back onto the highway. We pulled over for a break for a few minutes by this time it was starting to get dark and we still had quite a few k's to go to Siavonga so we decided to push on. As it got darker it was easier for me to be in front so off I went into the distance. This was one of the first times id ridden at night on the highway as all ive heard is how dangerous it is but seriosly if you want to see danger and wild life on the roads at night then you need to drive in Tasmania this is a breeze, the most dangerous thing here is the oil on the roads from shitbox badly maintained trucks.

The road was winding through the mountains and im sure it would of been an amazing ride during the day but by this time I just wanted to get to Siavonga get off the bike and relax. I was a fair way in front of the guys by now so stopped and waited for them in the middle of nowhere at 9pm in the pitch black night thinking well this is good. I didnt feel to unsafe, well not to much it was a nice feeling to be standing there just the dim light of my bike shedding any light, I guess some people might feel a little uneasy in that situation well probably be packing death but i actually liked that feeling of vulnerablity and anyway whats the worst that could happen a cheetah hiena or some other wild beast could jump out of the darkness and eat me, not while im holding my trusty Dunhill blue ciggie it wouldnt.

The boys drove up about 10 or 15 minutes later and stopped for a few minutes and we again headed off towards the next turn off. As we got there there wasa police road block he waved me through but wanted to see the insurance or something on Daves vehicle I went on through and stopped on the other side of the road to talk to the female officer and a few minutes later they were through and we headed off on the last leg of the trip. I was getting low on fuel by now so had to stop for a break and put some of my 10 spare litres in so the next little town we came across we pulled into the village to get something to eat and for me to refuel.

I went into the first shop to get a drink the crew in there were playing checkers and had a chat to them as I bought a coke. I refueled my bike and then went over to the other shop to buy Dave a beer and then ended up buying a few and making a few new friends along the way. We hung around for a little hile longer chatting to the few guys I had bought beers for and then said our goodbyes with a little info that it was only 48 kilometres further and took off. I must admit I was pretty rooted but was past the point of being tired but there was no real option but to just push on. We arrived in Siavonga, I was about 10 minutes in front of the boys again so pulled over in the local servo that was shut but there was a few guys still hanging around so got a really nice friendly "welcome to Siavonga" from one of the crew which was nice and made me feel at ease straight away. Jumped off the bike and sat down to chat to the crew for awhile then the boys pulled up and came in.

We got the tip on where the Eagles Rest was where we intended to stay at so after another goodbye and waves we were off again to Eagles Rest. We arrived there at 10:15 pm so pretty much 11 hours of riding and you can imagine I was pretty f&*cked and the security guy comes to the gate and says we are shut and you cant come in, oh great i say to the boys lets just go back down the road to the hotel we past and book in there for the night. By this time I didnt give a rat ass I just needed to get off the bike and as the guys were on severe budgets i offered to shout them and its was still on just over a 100 bucks and that was nothing when I needed to just get off my bike in a hurry. So after some come on guys don't be silly let me shout you they agreed and off back up the road we went and booked in.

We sat down and had a beer with the manager and he got us rooms the boys were stoked as they had been camping for 6 months so to have a bed they were pretty happy about it. I just needed to get out of my gear it was still so hot last time i looked on the thermometer on the bike it was reading 29 degrees so as you can imagine in all my gear I was stinking hot still. I ripped it all off as we sat there having a beer and was happy to be in my board shorts and my boots off.

Hit the fart sack around 12 absolutely rooted im sure ill pay for that in the next few days but what a great ride and proves im getting ride fit and alot better to be able to such a long stint on the bike, not that id want to make a habit of that kind of riding everyday. In all seriousness I probably could of covered that distance a few hours quicker if I wasnt riding with the boys in convoy in the ute but it was nice to have the company as well on such a long ride in some pretty remote and interesting towns.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 05:03 PM