User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #241
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,688
Leaving jollyboys this morning.

Another picture of the dust but let me tell you its was worse than this absolutely zero visibility at times
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 08:13 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #242
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The boys took this photo of me as we were coming to the end of the dusty section
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 05:39 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #243
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up this morning the boys went over ot check out Eagles Rest and a few other places to see where we could stay I wasnt in any hurry to move I was so sore so sat down had a nice breakfeast and chilled out for awhile.

They came back a few hours later and we hung around for awhile chillaxing then decided to go for a drive and have alook around. As we drove around we came across this place the Kariba Lake lodge, its really nice. I asked the boys if they would like to stay for a night and work out what we were doing so with some encouragement they were all for it. Look some people might look at it as a little expensive but I tell you this place is awesome and if you ever come to this part of the world it's certainly an amazing place with great feel, id have to say one of the nicest places ive been too in all my travels. We got 2 villas over looking Lake Kariba very very nice and pretty reasonable well not pretty, very reasonable.

We just hung around for awhile then the got taken to our rooms the guys eyes were popping out of their heads it must be ok to be able to lob in something like this place after 6 months of camping im sure.

Went back over to the other shit lodge ill look up the name of it cause if you come to this area dont ever stay there its an absolute dump compared to the Kariba Lake Lodge hang on absolute dump is being to kind, anyway you get the drift. Had to pay the bill and as I had left my visa card there and the ATM only took Visa so as I went to get on your bike it was dead oh no thats not a good sign nothing worse than in the middle of nowhere going to jump on your bike and its dead as a dodo.

Called Dave up he had only just dropped me off so he came back and we clutch started the bike. The manageress at the lodge wasnt happy that I was going to ride the bike away even though I had left her my Mastercard, its the first time in Africa I havent been trusted and I felt a little put off by it i must admit it was just the crowning glory on a shithole of a place, badly run badly managed and badly maintained, we paid decent dollars to stay there and Dave was all excited about having a bath but there was no water so that went out the window. I learnt a good lesson though I should never trust anyone with my cards no matter what the excuse in the end Dave wasnt happy either and being some what local said if you want your money the barman can come with us to the bank in the car up and make his own way back, and it was said pretty bluntly I must admit.

I was pretty peeved myself but just bit my tongue Dave was doing a pretty good job of letting them know how we felt. We got the bank and the ATM was shut so we had to sit around for awhile so I bought us all a drink and the barman I know its not his fault but he knew we werent happy. We got chatting to him a bit while we waited and in the end after the Atm opened I offered him a lift back to the lodge on the back of the bike to which Dave said nah nah he can make his own way back. As much as I was angry with them Im not here to be angry at the locals so he jumped on and away we went. I just dropped him off and said goodbye and turned around and left the dump.

Took the bike for a nice long ride around the local area to check it all out and charge the battery back up and clear the head a bit, its not a real big area so didnt take to long there is some nice riding to be down around here and some very interesting small villages to check out. Came back to the Kariba Lake Lodge and sat on the verandah over looking the lake and just took it all in, had a really nice dinner and a few drinks and the day was done and dusted. Im pretty sure our big day yesterday didnt help with our tolerance levels with the shit that went down earlier but thats in the past now this Kariba Lake Lodge is amazing.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 08:18 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #244
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ended up spending two nights in the Kariba Lake Lodge Jason and Crystal were really nice hosts and all the staff were very freindly I would of liked to stay there longer but as I was paying for 4 of us it wasnt on the cards but what an amzing place if you ever do go there stay in the villas its so worth the few extra dollars to have the privacy and the view of the lake is spectacular.

Got up early in Siavonga to pack, Gill left to go to Lusaka by bus so Dave and Ron dropped him in town at around 9 while i frigged around packing and relaxing. The boys got back and we finished organizing stuff Dave, had to clear a few things out of his kit and then we headed up reception to finalise the bill. Bit of a muck up with the bill but it was all pretty good for such a fantastic time in a really excellent place. Jason and Crystal have a really nice place probably as nice as any place ive stayed in, not theres much to do here in Kariba other than fish and go out on the Lake which would be amazing but if you were with your girl you wouldnt need to go anywhere but here.

We headed up to town and went to the bank to change some money into US dollars and the ATM was down so we had to hang around awhile. The ATM eventually came back online and we got some cash out and went inside the bank to change it over to US dollars. The guy took our money and told us that they had to go somewhere else to get it, im pretty sure they had to go down to the border crossing to make the change with the money changers that hang at the border as they probably give better rates down there than the banks but anyway we didnt know the deal so its always nice to turn up at border crossings with the right money for the other side and makes for one less person you havre to deal with.
Eventually we got it all sorted and headed up the road to spend the last of our kwacha on fuel which worked out that we filled my bike and the car pretty much. Dave met one of his old mates and had a chat for awhile. By this this time I was starting to feel the heat well in all my gear standing around in 35c heat isnt conjusive to being cool so I had a bit of whinge about how hot i was and soon after we headed off towards the border. We breezed through the Zambian side stamp stamp smile smile as usual and away we went across to Zimbabwe.

Crossed the dam wall its pretty spectacular I must say stopped to take a few pictures for a few minutes the guys were in front of me and just cruised straight on over. Dave spend years living around here so hes seen it all beofre it woudl be like driving up the local road for him but to see the entrance to Zimbabwe so spectactular its definatley a good start to my time here after just hearing so many negative things about the place.
Got up the hill to the Zim border post and got in stamp stamp smile smile and we were through, fair dinkum some people just make things sound so terrible i cant imagine anyone ever having a problem there unless your rude impatient or unorganised all the people staff there were more than friendly and another nice sign for Zim.

After fininshing with all the paperwork we headed up to one of Daves old bars to grab a beer overlooking the lake. The Country club bar sits atop the hill overlooking all of Kariba basiccally so its a very nice setting to relax. They had a pool down below so I asked if I could go jump in and the manager Kev said no probs so of I went to go for a swim. There were a few local people in the pool one really nice little girl in there with her mum so gave her some swimming lessons, it was so funny she was loving it. In the end she was jumping on my back diving underwater having a great time. As I got out of the pool the little kid was was saying come back tomorrow come back tommorow, but ill see. We went for a drive around Kariba and ended up in another bar at the Cutty Sark lodge a bit expensive so we had a few drinks with all good intentions of heading back to the first camp site we had come across.
As we were driving riding along i saw a few tents set up and went down for a closer look and it was a group of riders for health guys so got off and went to have a chat to them. Grabbed a few pics of the guys and we he headed back off up the road where we came across a really nice camp ground the Tamarind Lodge and decided this was where we would stay.

We set up the tents and hung around for awhile, as we were setting up one of the guys came over and told us there was an elephant at the front gate so we cruised over to have a look. Wow this thing was huge i walked really slowly towards it Dave saying Sheldon be careful, I got to about 20 feet away and stopped. We stood there eyeballing each other ,he was sniffing me out obviously I slowly moved my camera up and took a photo and I must say it was an amazing experience to be standing toe to toe eye ball to eye ball with such a creature. I backed away very slowly not taking my eye off his eyes and when I got far enough way thought wow, Dave was telling me how if he had charged i would of been in strife and how a bloke had been killed bla bla bla i said well shit happens at least id make the papers but seriously i never once felt threatened and it was so amazing to stare straight into such an incredible animals eyes so close up.

We went and finished setting up the hung around for awhile then jumped in the ute and we drove back up to the country club and sat down to drink. Kev the who we met earlier was still there blind as a maggot and jibbering on. He seems like a really nice guy with some issues lol

We piled into the ute and headed down to another lodge warthogs for a drink and some dinner so that was nice too. Dave was a little uneasy there as some of the crew knew him I think hes a little paranoid I jsut said f*&kem enjoy yourself dont worry what other people think.

We headed off back to the campsite sat up jibbering for awhile then hit the sack a nice full day with lots of nice sites and people.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 08:28 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #245
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The camp site at Tamarind Lodge Kariba Zimbabwe
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #246
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

crossing the border from Zambia to Zimbabwe
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #247
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up around 8 had a really good nights sleep in the tent, we didnt have any concrete plans other than to try and find a mastercard so Ron could get some money. Cruised around all the local villages with no luck then found out later that mastercard had pulled out of Zim a few years back. I must admit it was interesting cruising around no one seems to have any idea where to get anything or whats going. Like something simple like a sim card for the phone told you can get them at the local servo no not here down the road has them go down there no the servo has them ok try the place where we started oh the little yellow caravan behind the shops in the other village yeah whatever.

In saying all that the people are all very friendly but dont think you will go into a shop and buy something and get change, just about everywhere doent have change or they hide it from you so you have to spend another few bucks in there shop.

We ended up back up the country club i jumped in the pool and Dave and Ron sat up the top jibbering with Kev and his wife. Came back up after awhile and asked the boys what we were doing Dave wanted to stay and drink so me and Ron took off to see this one last place about money fior him then took off to go organise fishing for the morning and find some info on Manna Pools.

We got some great tips on camping in Manna Pools, organised our fishing licenses for tommow morning and headed back over to the club to find Dave. We picked him up and headed back to the camp site where he got ready to go to a meeting that was in his old club.

Dave took off about 5 so me and Ron jumped on the bike and went for a ride to the Cutty Sark lodge for a few drinks and dinner.I had spag bol which was quite nice and served by a very polite dude so gave him a good tip when we left.
Dave has been invited to dinner with his old crew tonight hes a bit worried about it obviosly with his x wife around here and all the shit that went down in the old days, it does seem to worry him a bit but hes a grown man he'll be ok.

Photo of the riders for Health guys in Kariba.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #248
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up really early before 6 to go fishing Dave had a pretty good night last night has been invited back to a braai tonight where his x wife will be so that will be another interesting night for him.

We left to go fishing at around 7:30 in the end stuffing around jibbering about how his night went with old crew. Went to the old marina to pick up the rods they were really crappy ones too well not crappy absolute rubbish about 15 metres of line on them no hooks no sinkers so like any fishing if your not prepared your cutting down your odds big time. we jumped back into the car and headed to where we were told to go fishing down by the croc farm got there same old story the guard there says yeah you can fish here go park down by the work shop, he forgot to mention the electrical fence that is between you and the water so that was a no go. Dave decides to chat to the operations manager ok they walk off around the corner for f&%ske here we go jibbering on again for about 15 minutes ,. Me and Ron are sittign in the car twiddling our thumbs waiting patiently then back he comes oh yeah park out side the gate and walk down around the outisde of the fence and we can fish there.

Ok so off we go its only a few minutes walk but when we get there all the local fisherman are there but sitting on the bank staring into space. Dave organises a few sinkers for us with one of them and while hes doing that i ask one of them why they arent fishing and he jusy says dead water, i ask him when the water will be good and he says when the sun comes out. Ok sowe are going fishing and the locals arent so i dont hold my hopes up.

We walk around the bank aways till we find what looks to be a decent fishing spot clear of weed so if there is any crocs you can see them. We start casting and out of the corner of my eye i spot a croc watching us about 10 metres away. The croc goes underwater sol was watching pretty intently just to make sure theres no little suprises.
We decided to give it a miss as the locals had not bothered to get off their backsides so all we were doing is being croc bait, hippo bait or both hanging around within a few metres or so. We went back and joined the local crew sitting there having a chat then decided to go try fish the harbour which actually look pretty good.

We jumped back in the ute and headed back to the harbour and me and Ron walked out to the entrance while Dave jibbered on with some dude and had a shit attack. We were fishing back into the harbour when these three guys walked out and said that we werent allowed to fish into the harbour so I asked if it was ok to fish the other way into the lake and he said yeah but it might be better fishing for tiger fish down on the sandy beach along the wall a bit.
We walked down to the beach and started throwing but the amont of line on the reels was so short it was pretty much a pointless excercise. Ron got a snag on some weed and snapped his gear off and that was enough of thaded off. So much for tiger fishing in Zim pretty much a let down but as I said earlier with crap equipment we were never much hope of landing anything decent if anything at all.

We came back to the campsite and hung around for awhile then Dave and Ron took off in search of how they can get Dave's money organised. Both me and Ron have lent him a few hundred bucks its no big deal to me but it is to Ron so hopefully when money does come through he will be able to pay him back.

After they left I went for a ride over to the Cutty Sark lodge for a drink and the manager over there Carol invited me to come back and watch a local band dance troupe she had performing there tonight. So no probs I thought we will see.
Dave and Ron came back with another missed oppurtunity to get Daves money transferred, standard. Dave was off to his old Freemasons group to meet up with everyone including his x wife, oh to be a fly on the wall.

Me and Ron went over to the Cutty Sark lodge to have dinner and watch the band and they were fantastic playing drums, dancers it was a really good show , traditional dress, funny it had it all. Towards the end they had a break and said they were going to do some old school stuff so they got out of there traditional dress into western clothes. Obviously the white folk took offence to something or maybe they had had enough but they all got up and walked into the bar. The whole show was brilliant and was a really good night.
Anyway time for bed its beena good day.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #249
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Missed a few days of blogging here but havent been up to much just going for local rides meeting the locals and having some fun. I tell ya everyone in Zimbabwe is so nice dont be put off by the bad press this place gets from certain sections it is amazingly friendly, so far some of the nicest people I have met in southern Africa, no hang on not some of the nicest people THE nicest people ive met. The local people are just so nice, friendly, polite and helpful.

So today I just had a pretty chilled day today just got organised to leave Kariba doing the washing packing all my stuff back to where it is supposed to be on my bike in the last little while its been getting a bit disorganised which after being in jolly boys for a month with my shit all over the place in my room.

Dave and Ron had gone to try and organise Daves money again with no luck again so it gave me some time to go for a ride by myself and have a good look arond all the local area which was really good there is some really good riding around here winding hilly roads alot of fun.

Ended up in the local village for something to eat and while I was there a few kids walked past so I asked them if they would like to start my bike up for me. They were a bit hestiant at first as usual but eventually came over to jump on. The bike certainly has a way of attracting attention, soon enough I had a group of about 15 people standing around all smiling joking having fun. I printed a photo outeach for the kids and one of the older guys says can I have one so I just said no no no only the kids with a big smile on my dial to which all the crew laughed.

I headed back to camp Ron had turned up and left Dave up the pub to wait for news on his money so me and Ron jumped on the bike and headed over to the Cutty Sark for dinner and a few drinks and to watch the soccer on Dstv the local pay tv mob.

Pretty quiet over there we hung around for a few hours an then jumped on the bike to come home. Dave had been back and told the guys at the gate that he was going to Warthogs to have a drink so we turned around and headed down there.

Got into the Warthogs club there was a few guys and gals there so we hung around and had a few drinks and relaxed. I got up and took off Dave was starting to jibber on to Ron accussing him of having a go at Zim but he misunderstood his joke but he Dave was pretty blind so pretty much the normal piss talk we all do and dave does regularily.

The boys turned up not long after I got back so they only stayed for one more. We are leaving for the Mana Pools game reserve in the morning so that should be fun, thats if we get daves money through.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #250
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Go up reasonably early to start paking up i was never going to take as long as Dave as his tent is huge and he has so much gear so took my time about packing which was good. Dave hasnt got a license for Zim and has been driving on I lost my license documents for the last however long but its not going to cut the mustard here so im driving today. I had put my bike up at the reception with all my gear on it put the cover over it and locked it to the pole told the lady to sing it a lullaby every night and slipped the manager 10 bucks and asked him to take special care of my baby. Bit of a worry as its all uninsured but im pretty sure it will be ok everyone ive come across in Zim has been just so nice and friendly its hard to imagine anything going missing even after only being in the country for just under a week.

Ended up around 9 ish beofre we actually drove out the gate of the Taramind Lodge and headed up the road to see if Daves money had arrived in the money gram office. We sat around for awhile I had a walk around the local shops not that there is much there but had to look just in case there was a Zim sticker for my bike. Dave entually came out after about 30 minutes and we headed up to the club to see if anyone was up there for him to jibber too, no joy for him there so we hit the road. We got to the first servo and Dave wanted to get some smokes its one of his old mates servos so Im guessing he was looking for another chit chat. No joy for him there as well so we hit the road to the next servo and filled up with juice and as we finished Dave said he wanted to get a pie. By this time I had enough of the stuffing around and said f&8k that we have to stop for supplies in the next town and we can grab something to eat there while we shop, so off we went.

We stopped and grabbed some supplies from the local grocery store for baked beans spaghetti the general can crap you buy when you go camping. I found the guy I had taken a picture of sitting on my bike yesterday and had printed it out for him before as we finsihed packing this morning on my little printer. Gave him the picture as you can imagine he was pretty happy and said that ill be back in a few days and finally off we went to Manna Pools. The road is pretty crappy but ideal for a motorbike winding through the hills im really looking forward to riding some of these roads on my bike eventually when I get back to Kariba. We stopped to get our passes into the park and after another chit chat by Dave off we went to hit the 90 odd k's of dirt roads to the Manna Pools.

This road wasnt to bad but just long winding down the Zambezi Valley theres no doubting your out in the sticks when your here thats for sure. Arrived at Manna pools reception Kelly the girl at the receptoin was friendly enough so got organised and off we went to set up camp. There was no one else in the park at all so we had the whole place to ourselves and just picked what we thought was the best looking campsite right along side the Zambezi River. We set up camp and Ron wanted to chuck a line in to see if there was any fish so he hooked up a bit of line to a stuck and through it in and wha la hes hooked into a nice sized fish, good stuff. That will be nice for dinner for him. He takes it off the hook leaves it on the ground and walks back over to bait up and when he walks back over the fish is gone, bloody monkeys its the quick or the dead around here and they are certainly quick let me tell you.

After we had unpacked and set up camp we went for a drive through the park only abouty 10 k's as it was starting to get late and your not supposed to drive after 6pm. standard first sitings heaps of hippos, crocs, impala, buffalo, baboons, kudu, water buck, pleant of monkys bird life, all really amazing and the scenary is very special too. Got back to camp on dusk and got the fire going I wasnt actually that hungry so just wooped out a few rolls buttered them and had them for dinner, Ron and Dave had suds and tuna and some shit looked pretty crappy to me, well actually it looked like shit id have to be bloody starving to put that grub in my mouth.

Sat around chatting for awhile then we hear something in the dark to turn around and its a buffalo about 10 metres away eating on the bank of the river. These things when they are by themselves are pretty dangerous and hes mozing his way straight towards us. He gets to the last clump of grass before our tents so we decide to go for a walk and let him be and maybe he will go away in time. We walk off to the other side of the camp ground theres animals running wild everywhere here hyenia, lions, elephants so you just never know whats going to come up right in front of you so you got to keep your wits about you.

We go back to the campsite and the buffalos decided hes had enough to eat and parked his ass down about 5 metres from my tent oh great i want to go to bed and hers this buffualo as big as my tent sleeping next to me. We are standing next to Daves tent, Rons is in the middle and then mine on the outside so if im going to run the guantlet im going to have to go close to the buffalo to get in, I was just hoping he wasnt to fussed and had a full tummy to bother with me. Ron goes first ok hes in now its my turn to go out into the open and get in. Walk camly get on my hands and knees crawl around to the front of the tent unzip the zip and in i go ok that wasnt so bad now its sleep time.

Fell asleep actually pretty easily as it had been a pretty long day considering theres a wild buffalo sleeping a few metres away from me. Was sleeping like a baby untill I hear this commotion outisde ok what the hell is this, im not sure if I should look or not or just stay put, so I just stayed put.

I hear the buffalo moving off right outside my tent so I turn and slowly open the flap to try and take a picture and there is the big heap standing a few metres away from my tent door. He moved on and I thought ok thats the end of it till I tried to roll back over and go to sleep and then I hear why he moved, a hippo had strolled up the bank and was standing outside the side of my tent sniffing away, fair dinkum another few inches and he would of been licking my ear. I didnt know what to do so I just lay there and thought f*9k it shit happens if he goes me im stuffed anyway so i might as well lie here and lsiten to his breath on me before I die hahaha I wasnt scared it was so good to feel that total vulnerabilty again I love it, after all we are in their domain so what ever happens happens.

He was there for awhile just breathing snorting away and i was actually nearly going back to sleep when there was this loud grinding noise and then an almighty crack an elephant had come into camp and knocked down a tree about 20 metres away so the hippo turned tail and ran for his life back into the river, the big pussy. Ron and Dave woke up at this stage and were shouting what the F&*k was that, I shouted out to find what time it was, it was 1:30 and I shouted back to the boys, those animals, what inconsiderate pricks these aimals are waking me at this ungodly hour. What an amazing night, welcome to Mana Pools the wildest game reserve in Africa.

The road into the Manna Pools along the the Zambezi Valley
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 08:42 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #251
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

As you can imagine today started with the stories from last night we were all dumbfounded in the size of the tree that had been knocked down and we took a walk and looked where the hippo had made his hasty exit its where the term "the shit hit the fan" comes from as the hippos winds his tail around and around and shits as he bolts away. The lilli liver chicken shit here i am lieing in my bed centremetres away and he turns and runs from a great warrior like myself armed with only a swiss army knife, I guess he knew when he was in a no win situation.

We had brekkie I hooked into a can of baked beans and soon after we piled in the car to go for a drive. This time we went the other way and it was actually quite good lots of elephants and all the other stuff but saw eland as well on this drive which apparently is pretty rare to see. We drove as far as we could but being only in a two wheel drive got to a piont and had to turn back unfortunatly but all in all a great drive with lots of game.

We got back to the site after lunch and the parks guys came walking over and said the monkeys were having a partyin your tent and with your gear and that they had scared them off and picked the things up. Ron wasnt happy with Dave sayhing f*&k you Dave all in fun of course as it was only his tent they had got into as Dave had put the food into his tent and they had absolutely ransacked it, there was shit everywhere. Dave was laughing pretty hard and we all turned around and they were into Daves car he had forgotten to shut his door and they were ransacking the food and sudz powder ahhahaha Ron just said ah ah revenge is sweet it was actually qute funny really although they had created a bad mess in both tent and car. I got a picture of one of the monkeys with powder all over his nose, bloody drugs are a problem even in the animal kingdom lol

We cleaned up the mess and we sat down and were watching a storm building up on the Zambian side of the river. I wasnt to worried about my stuff as I was pretty orgsanised but said to Ron you might want to get your gear organised that storm looks pretty good coming this way. We sat there for a few mnutes and I reminded him again that here it comes so up he jumped and put the tarp over his tent and chucked some rocks on it to hold it down oh well good enough I suppose. As he was doing that the wind started and start it did was howling a gale probably upwards of 100k an hour it was sooooo strong rushing across the river up the bank and straight into our camp site.
Not long after the dust started blowing in and then the rain started pissing down so here we are in the middle of a mini cyclone Rons tents has hit the deck all of us standing there holding onto Daves canopy trying to stop it from blowing away, all the while my little orange wanderer tent was hanging in there, stuffed if I know how though it is pretty aero dynamic with the ends that come out and peg down at each end.

The storm lasted about 30 minutes and was unreal, its so amazing to see nature like that was quite incredible. Rons tent was this crumpled peice of tarp and water after was quite funny Daves handled it ok only cause we were all holding on to it and mine well I looked in and it was just really dusty from the original dust storm that hit just before the rain as it had come up under the cover and in through the mesh so all good. My computer passport wallet and other things where in the pockets in the tent and they were all fine so a really good test I probably should send the video we took to Wanderer they would love it.

It was stillonly just before 4 so we had plenty of time to clean up and prepared for tonights activities ahahah bloody animals get your own place to camp will ya.

We went over to the shop to buy some drinks and met up with couple dave had met in Malawi travelling through Africafrom the UK Guy and Lou, they had just arrived so while we got our drinks and went for a bit of a drive they got their gear set up near to where we were. We got back to camp and Dave parked next to my tent. Later that evening when Guy and Lou came over to join us and we were sitting around the chattign about last nights experience Lou said do you feel like your cheating I said actually I do with that big bariicade in the way. We decided to go for a night walk and have a look around and see what we could see Lou wasnt real comfortable with the walking out in the dark with all the wild animals prowling about and eventually she decied she had had enough so we turned tail and headed back to camp.

Got back to camp relaxed and then we all went our seperate ways to bed, guy and Lou had decided to sleep inside their 4x4 after our tale of last night. Another amazing day in Manna Pools.

Dave and Ron are out of money again and im not real flush either so weve decided we are going to drive to Chimundu and cross the border to get Ron some money from the MasterCard branch over there. Dave has no money left at all he only got 260 bucks when we left Kariba and owed Ron heaps so was never going to go far. Groceries, fuel, smokes beers and the site fees of 30 bucks a night add on the park entry fees you have to pay and they werent left with much in the first place so basically i had to cover a half of tonights camp fees and I only had 50 bucks left of my own so we really didnt have much option but to go in search of money.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #252
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Just some pics of the Mana Pools.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #253
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Waterbuck with the Zambezi in the background.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #254
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

the full moon rising overlooking the Zambezi Valley.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #255
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Eagle in flight.
Attached Images