Oddometer: 1,925
Local market around Kariba Zimbabwe.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #258
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Dave and Ron with the Zambezi in the background.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #259
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Just another one of the locals perusing around the camp sie in mana Pools.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #260
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ron in the back of the ute while we were going for a game drive through the Mana Pools Zimbabwe.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #261
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok had a day of nothing but uploading pictures to facebook and organizing my blog finally. I know ive been a bit slack but when ive been with a crew of people ive found it harder to find time. I dont mind being with people but I certainly enjoy being by myself finally. I know ya weirdo but hey im good company for myself if I get bored I only have to look in the mirror and think omg you stud ahahahahaha see what I mean im dellusional.

Im certainly looking forard to riding some of these roads either tomorrow or the next day to where im not sure but south obvioulsy im going to go towards Harare been invited to a nightclub there oh hang on I was supposed to be there tonight oh well...Next.

Im really enjoying Zim the people are great hopefully that continues where ever I end up going on my journey, towards Mozambique, well thats where i think im heading, I better turn north soon im supposed to be going around the world and im heading south towards where i came from isnt going to get me there, when I get to the main highway up the road ill only be 50 k's from the border to Zambia and then up to Malawi or turn right and Harare and Mozambique, which way will I turn north or south, I do really like the sound of Mozambique though.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 03:20 PM
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #262
philsb
Gentleman of Leisure

Oddometer: 36
What a great time!

I'm really enjoying your report.
Camping at Manna pools sounded ...err interesting Next time cover yourself with mustard or pepper, I can't imagine the wild animals would enjoy that so they will just spit you out

Make sure you don't run out of money, we don't want your ride cutting short.

Have fun

Phil, from a cold, icy England.
philsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #263
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsb View Post
I'm really enjoying your report.
Camping at Manna pools sounded ...err interesting Next time cover yourself with mustard or pepper, I can't imagine the wild animals would enjoy that so they will just spit you out

Make sure you don't run out of money, we don't want your ride cutting short.

Have fun

Phil, from a cold, icy England.
Hey Phil good tip on the mustard ill use old english mustard just for you since it was your idea lol

On the money front im pretty fortunate in that regard so thats ok ill be riding till I get bored of riding not till my money runs out however long that is.

Speaking of conserving money I just booked into the Crown Plaza in Harare i know tough motorcycle adventure hey but after 20 minutes on the bike today I nearly stopped to take some painkillers my back and neck were giving so much grief so 6 hours later im riding around Harare looking for somewhere to stay and thought stuff it.

It's still relatively cheap oh ok its shitloads if your on 25 bucks a day but im not, my unofficial budget is around 80 to 100 Australian bucks a day and in doing it as easy or as hard as I like. Im heading to Mozambique and Malawi and apparently its cheap as chips up that way so I save some places spend others.

Thanks for the support mate, Sheldon
Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #264
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

What a great ride today, I was looking forward to the first 70 k's the road just winds up and down the hills fantastic motorcycling roads. Got up around 8 thought about what I was actually going to do today. I slept inside the chalet last night couldnt be stuffed walking out to the tent so just fell asleep on the bed. The set up is they leave one of the chalets open for the campers to use the toilets and showers and I was the only camper there so it was all good.

Still hadnt made a concrete decsion whether to leave or not but I walked out of the chalet and for some reason walked over to my tent and pulled a peg out and thought oh well it looks like im leaving, to where I didnt really know, I had a few choices, north to Lusaka in Zambia, south to Harare or Bullawayo or back along the back road to Vic Falls. Dave had told Guy and Lou about that road while we were at Mana Pools. I asked one of the local guys at the campsite about the road and he told me its all dirt, so ok thats was out with the rain we have had so its either Lusaka to the north or south to Harare or Bulawayo. Ok I thought id just go ride the first 70 k's and either turn right or left when i get to Makuti.

Got all packed and there was a hell of a commotion going on over the other side of the lodge the baboons were going off so walked over to check it out. The locals had put a snare in the fence line and caught a little one and the dad baboon was fighting carrying on trying to get it free while the locals were trying to hit it on the head. I asked one of the guys will they let it go and he said no theres a python over there that will have it. I felt like saying its no wonder theres only a handful of wild animals left here in Kariba but when they complained about the dad going wild I said what would you do if it was your child. Anyway I wasnt happy with it but thats their business so I walked away and finished up with the gear.

Left at 10ish, got one of the little grommets to start my bike up for me he was happy with that then hit the road. Went down to the local village to get some cash and say goodbye to Hector who fixed my pc and a few of the other locals that had been really friendly. I wasnt setting any speed records but it certainly was fun. Was cruising along and saw a black mamba on the road about 8 feet long so slowed down to have a look and the friggin thing arced up at me bloody classic, didnt have time to grab the camera before he pissed off into the bush so I hit the road again.

Another 10 k's up the road was cruising along at around 120 and I saw this eagle take off from the side of the road and flew straight into my path with his big talons hanging down, I ducked my head behind my screen and the eagle glanced straight off the top of my helmet. Bloody hell that was close I couldnt see the eagle when i slowed down so im guessing he just pissed off into the bush with a sore ass from bouncing off my melon. What the fucjk he was up to ill never know, maybe i looked like good tucker who friggin knows but its not something that will hapopen every day thats for sure.

Cruising along another few k's down the road come boring round this nice corner and whoa friggin elephants standing in the middle of the road, fook me get out of the way ya bloody big heaps, bloody crazy little section i just rode amazing.

Kept on going the cars that were on the road were pretty slow up the real windy sections so just breezed past them without even pausing in most cases. Got to Makuti and drove up to the servo to get some juice and oh this doesnt look good no display on the pumps, only means one thing no petrol. Without even thinking I drove out of the servo and turned right onto the other side of the road to put my own fuel in, oh well im pointing south I might as well go that way. I only had about 5 or 6 litres in jerry can so oh well theres got to be petrol in Karoi about 80 k's away if there isnt im up the shit.

That section was pretty good too but nowhere near as fun. Was just cruising along and saw this dude on the side of the road with his pushbike so thought id stop and say hi. He was from China on an around the world ride and had been riding for 2 and a half years already and had plans to ride for 10 years. We had a little trouble understanding each other but we took a few pics and then he rang a girl in the Chinese embassy in Harare for me to meet up with if I need a hand so looks like im off to Harare, seems like a good enough excuse. We took a few photos together and said our goodbyes and I watched him as he walked up the road with his tredly. Amazing these guys that ride around on pushbikes, Speaking of cyclists I actually got an email from Simon and Phillip the Swiss guys cycling through Africa i bumped into on the Caprivi Strip thanking me for the phone card I gave them, Simon was off to Malaysia to continue his journey and Phillip had gone home.

While on the subject of emails sent Andrev the Russian guy I met in Livingstone who was riding his Bmw from Nairobi to Cape Town, hes back home in Moscow and was off to work, got to hate that but glad to hear that he completed his adventure and was home safely.

Got back on the road and not long after it started looking like rain so stopped and put on the wet weather gear on and as I was doing a nice couple walked out of the bush herding their cattle along. they waved as they hurried them quickly across the road. The rain came not to bad and only lasted 15 minutres but just took it easy while it was wet.

Cruised along to Karoi the first two servos didnt have fuel, not looking good so headed off down the road and gestered to the next girl and she nodded yes, phew I was starting to think I wasnt going any further. As soon as I stopped the bike I had an instant crowd around me so took a few extra minutes to get out of there obviously showing them all the gps with my music in my helmet. Plus it always amuses everyone when i take a bit of a run up to throw my leg over the bike.

Drove a few more hours still hadnt past the turn off to Bulawayo or so I thought but it to late it was behind me I didnt even notice it, the village of Chamoyi was busy and the intersection it was on so I was busy making sure I didnt get hit, oh well now`im definatly going to Harare.

Arrived in Harare about 3:30 looking for somewhere to stay as I went and found myself in the city centre. I rode around the city for awhile its not massive but there isnt many places to stay in town like any city only the ritzy joints. Stopped a few times and was swamped by people interested in the bike, I even had one guy wind his window down shouting hello.

Saw the crown Plaza in the next block an thought ill go and ask how much it is to stay there. Drove into the driveway, its pretty obvious they dont get to many kitted out motorbikes in here half a dozen people came out to greet me and say hello. Walked in knowing full well I was going to stay buy asked how much anyway just in case it was totally expensive but it was ok. Got my room organised and went around to park the bike underneath.

Took my gear up to my room and then went and hit the bars downstairs thought about the buffet but to be honest not real hungry so gave it a miss.

Its such a shame the warnings on Zimbabwe telling people to stay away cause from going on all the people ive come across from the very first Customs chick I dealt with to the guy at the bar tonight have just been amazingly friendly, im so glad I didnt listen to those people that said dont go there.

All in all a really good day, great riding, headbutting eagles, dodging black mambas, swerving to miss elephants stopping to help a turtle off the road, meeting heaps of great people, im loving Zimbabwe, I just hope my bikes there in the morning lol

Helping with all my gear at the Crown Plaza in Harare Zimbabwe.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 03:15 PM
Old 12-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #265
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a pretty good nights sleep at the Crown Plaza the best things about these joints is when you pull the blinds it could be 12 oclock in the day and your rooms dark. Hadnt decided if I was going to stay another night or not but had a few hours to decide so went for a walk down the road to the shops to see what there was in the way food to eat as being the tight ass I am baulked at paying 25 bucks for the breakfeast at the Crown Plaza.

While I was walking down the road a local guy Neville walked past me and said hello so we got chatting and asked him directions to the big local shopping centre, he said he'd show me so off we went. I had a basic idea and it wasnt far and its always nice to have someone that knows the area with you when you first get somewhere. Asked Neville if I could buy him breakfeast so we found a cafe and in we went sat down and enjoyed a bite to eat. We left as I had to go back and make a decision if I was leaving or not so said goodbye and parted ways. He was so helpful with tips on the places to go around Harare just another one of the amazing Zimbabwian people, he got a free breakfast out of it but the advice he gave me was worth alot more than that.

Got back to the Crown Plaza and went up to my room the air conditining had me coughing again im not a big fan of these enclosed rooms with only air conditioning as ventilation so the decision was made im leaving but ill go for a ride around and see what other accomadation is available in Harare.

Left the Crown Plaza at 10:30 and hit the road well it was probably closer to 11 as I chatted with the boys at the front for awhile. Rode around for awhile Neville had told me about Avondale flea market and Burrowdale so i headed that way. Got to Avondale flea markets that wasnt to hard to find its huge and only one turn off the main drag in saying that im pretty sure it was more luck than good managemnt that found it. Had a walk around looking for my Zimbabwe sticker im not leaving here till I find one so walk I did. Had all my motorbike gear on so was pretty heavy and hot so didnt last to long beofre I needed to go sit down and have a drink.

Went back to the bike and bought a drink from the little shop near where I parked and the young bloke collecting the trolleys came over to say hello and said hes always wanted to learn to ride a bike so I said get on mate ill give you your first lesson. So he jumped on showed him how to start it and sat there all happy as Larry. I got him to turn it off and then showed him where the gears and clutch were and ok thats the end of the firsd lesson.
I jumped back on the bike and took off towards Burrowdale to look for this vintage bike place and rode around that area for awhile in the end I was getting nowhere so decided to stop in one of the small little village shopping centres and get something to eat and a drink.

As I got off the bike a Dutch guy Willem came over and said hello and had a chat about where what etc hes been here for 3 years. He was starting a guest house up soon, it was almost complete and was just waiting on some permits to finalise it all. We said our goodbyes and I walked into the village and had a walk around for awhile and I bought drink and came back to the bike to sit down.I was just lighting up a ciggarette thinking ok what now. I had thought id jsut ride around and find some accomdation if I had some trouble finding any id just head back over to the Crown Plaza and start again tomorrow. Just as im thinking that Willem pulls up in his car with his wife Rian jumps out and says I should of asked you before, would you like to come and stay at our house. I think about it for about 5 seconds and yeah why not ok lets go. Jump on the bike and drive the 5 minutes up the road where at their house.

Its a beautiful house Feng shui designed or whatever the that oriental style is, built with 9 squares very nice and it will be a beautiful lodge when it starts having guest. There is a seperate fully equipped unit and three bedreeom all really nicely decorated by Rian she really has a talent for it thats for sure. They have plans to extend it in the future but its perfect for a start right now.

They both have worked for Docotrs without borders for 20 odd years in all parts of the world and have given back so much but had come to Zim to work and set up a NGO and had decided the time was right to get out of it and try something new and as they loved Zim so much they decided this was the place they wanted to stay.

Says alot about the people of Zimbabwe I guess when they have travelled so extensively through out the world that they picked Zim to settle. Ive probably said this before in my blog but whatever you do dont listen to anyone that says dont go to Zimbabwe you will have an amazing time and never regret it. Its disapointing that such a lovely country and lovely people get such a bad rap.

Me Willem and Rian sat around talking for the evening was a really nice evening there such great people and so welcoming, I simply just keep bumping into the right people all the time.

They had recieved the last receipt for the guest house license on friday so officially or unoffically im their first guest so im their crash test dummy so to speak, its nice to be the first guest, im sure they will be very successful at this going on how friendly they are.

All in all a pretty good day again tomorrow ill just go for a ride around town and see whats doing I havent even given it any thought really what im going to do from here so might even let that cross my mind too.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 03:54 PM
Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #266
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a good day went for a ride to see if i could find the Bmw dealer ended up taking me 5 hours of riding to find it must of stopped and asked 30 people for directions and got surrounded by people every time it was an amazing days riding. Eventually I got to the dealer and although they were in the Bmw handbook for places to go and get help if you have an issue they dont actually do bikes so if you come here on your beemer dont expect to get it serviced here or anything though im sure they could sort somerthing out of you had a major issue. By the time I got home I had been on the road for nearly 6 hours and was actually prettty stuffed but what a great day.

Sat down and Esta Willem and Rian's new cook had cooked us Morrocan Soup some Spanish chicken im not 100% sure where it was from it was from but the dessert was great, I was so hungry too so it was nice to have a nice meal. After dinner we sat around and share our stories theres was amazing.

The room im in is pretty good pretty much up there with a 5 star resort well compared to the Crown Plaza its actually a nicer room and decor.

Just another great day great people and my luck just keeps going everywhere i turn I seem to bump into the right people even the guards that surround the Presidents residence give me the thumbs up now as I ride past carrying their machine guns and its a shoot to kill area if you go in there after 6pm so not something im going to try later in the afternoon thats for sure.

Esta, what a great cook

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 03:59 PM
Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #267
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Saw a message that My and Linnear were in Harare down the road so contacted them and headed over this morning for a visit beofre they left to go home. Was nice to catch up with them and decided to follow them to the airport id been meaning to go over there to see if they had a sticker for my bike in one of the tourist shops at the airport. We hung around talking for awhile met a nice guy Alexi while we were there a Canadian bio chemist into Nano technology really interesting chatting to him im intrigued by that stuff but hardly understand it other than the very basics so it was nice to talk to someone that is right into it and get some of what its all about.

The girls taxi didnt turn up so they had to book another one so they were running pretty late by the time we left and then 10 minutes up the road their taxi driver got picked up and arrested so it wasnt looking good for them to be on time. I pulled up behind the taxi and was talking to one of the other cops and asked whats the go these girls have to be at the airport and she said hes been arrested. I asked her how much it was going to cost to let it slide and she said 30bucks so I just gave the taxi driver the 30 bucks and off we went. They ended up pretty much on time as their plane had been delayed so it all worked out good. Walked in and found my sticker in the first few minutes so that was a bonus.

We had a drink then the girls had to go check in so said our goodbyes and off they went. I rode over to the other side and talked to the customs guys there was a thought I might piss of back home for a few weeks to see Loges and Jazza at chrissy time so needed to find out what the deal was with leaving my bike. The girl at the gate took me back inside the airport terminal and they held up all the incoming passengers to help me or try to help me anyway, so that was nice. The told me to go back into town and see the main office so thats cool i know the city now so the addy corner of 3rd and Nelson Mandela Rd was no big drama to go to.

Other than traffic being a bit of a pain i like riding through the city centre you have 20 people wind their window down and shout hello where you from, so its always fun. The people are just so friendly im telling you dont listen to one word of negativity about this place Zimbabwe the people are easily the nicest ive come across in southern africa to date and they have all been so friendly.

Got into customs house or whatever they call it Zimtrade, the place was packed to the rafters you certaily wouldnt want to be in one of the lifts and have it break down shot they cram them in. Get to the third floor and it turns out its no big drama to leave my bike I just have to store it in one of their compounds so can be done easily so that gives me fuel for thought about going home for a few weeks. As well as seeing the boys I can organise my Ethiopian visa while im there too, its looking like ill have to send my passport home anyway to get a visa for there so I can kill two birds with one stone see everyone say hello and get my visa and piss off again.

Got back to Burrowdale and the lodge and sat down with Rian for a chat. Turns out that both Rian and Willem have been Knighted by the Dutch monarchy for their works around the world with Doctors without Borders so I say here I am sitting with Sir Willem and Dame Rian and me King shit so its no wonder we got on so well. You can imagine the stories they had were facinating

Rian had moved me to one of the other rooms so I can pick out anything that is wrong with the rooms as I came up with a few little points that they had missed. Im getting to be a bit of an expert on hotels and B&bs and what they have and dont have and what they need. Their lodge is certainly very nice Rian certainly has a knack for design the whole house is beautifully set out.

We had a bbq for dinner which was very nice and sat around chatting till fairly late, I made a decision with Rian's help to go home to Australia for a few weeks to see Logan and Jared so will be heading towards Johannasburg tommrow and working out with the SA customs what I have to do with my bike.

Another nice day its been really nice staying here with Willem and Rian and to be their first guest was really nice.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 04:08 PM
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #268
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hung around having a coffee and a chat with Rian and Willem they have alot of work going on in the place to get it all ship shape so all the workers got in around 8ish and got stuck into the driveway paving. Had a really good nights sleep, my back and neck are feeling pretty good this morning I should of what looked at what type of beds they were ive really had a few good nights sleep which has been great.

Ended up gettng organised and left around 10 so a little bit later than I would of liked but was nice just relaxing around the place with Willem and Rian. Rode in through the cbd, that wasnt the best move the traffic was absolute crap in the centre of town. All the banks had massive line ups at them and I mean massive line up probably a few hundred people at each bank so there was no chance of getting any money out of an atm which sought of sucked as i left myself a littlwe short thinking it wouldnt be to much of an issue.

Ended up taking about 40 minutes to get to the other side of Harare and on the road to South Africa so away I went. The road was pretty standard no potholes so all good sittign on between 100 and 120 . As far as I knew it was 1100 k's to Joburg so I was guessing it would be about 550 or so to the border it looked about half way on the map. Unfortunatly that wasnt to be and the day jsut dragged on and on.

Got pulled over by the cops doing 111 in a 60 zone, why did they pick on me, ok I was speeding. So the old line, is their a fine or a fee I can pay you guys to sort this out comes out and yeah ok come over here, so in the end I had to pay a fine which was only 20 bucks no big deal but was another 20 out of the 100 or so I hadhad started the day with. Stopped for some petrol that took another 20 and then a stop at a roadside diner and had chicken and chips so that took the money down even more. Was down to about 55 bucks and then got caught by the cops again by the cops this time doing 99 in a 60 zone. The cops says thats going to be 20 bucks again to which I replied mate im down to my last money if your going to fine me here your going to need to find me an atm cause every bank from here to Harare has been out of money or a massive crew waiting there. I had a 5 dollar and note and a few 1 dollar notes so I said look thats all ive got ill be sleeping on the side of the road tonight now, I was laughing as I was talking its no big deal its only a few bucks for nearly 40 over the limit in Australia that would cost you heaps more so I wasnt really to fussed. I handed him the 5 and a few ones and said there you go take it all with a smile on my face, he actually handed me the dollars back and i said merry christmas ahahaha I said great ill buy a drink with that so i dont die of thirst in your beautiful country lol Hey I was speeding it was no big deal but I must of gone through about 10 road blocks today was a bit of ovedrkill but if you werent speeding you wouldnt of had anythign to worry about, its just how they make there Christmas bonus.

I think I ended up doing around 700 odd k's today so was pretty tired when I got into Biets Bridge on the border with South Africa at around 7pm . Saw a holiday Inn and thought what the heck im in ive had enough so pulled over walked into reception got a room and im chillaxing till the morning. I must have about 400 odd k's to go so shouldnt be to much of a drama tomorrow and ill head straight to customs then back to Kempton park and see if there is room where it all started nearly 6 months ago.

I had a quick look at the cost of a retuern ticket if I travel on those shitty days christmas or around new year ill be able to get a ticket for around 600 bucks Aussie so really good price it so much cheaper to buy going from here than from Aus my original ticket was 1800 so to get a return for 1200 or thereabouts is pretty good value. Anyway im pretty knackered tonight after a long ride.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 06:19 PM
Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #269
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up early and got on the internet and Logan was online so had a little chat to him which was nice so put me back a little later than I would of liked but no biggie.

Eventually got organised, I had left all my stuff on the bike last night so all I had to put on was the tank bag get dressed and piss off. Was just after 9:30 by the time I was on the bike and would of been a little bit earlier if the staff at the holday inn werent so incompetentant, bloody hell talk about a major drama to pay for a few drinks from last night. They had no change last night and wanted me to leave my only 50 buck note at the bar and they would sort it out and I said to them no you sort it out and ill pay you in the morning.

Ok, the morning comes and they want my 50 again so i say noooo you go make sure you got change and then come back and see me ill have a coke while I wait. Fair dinkum you would think they would be a little bit organised in a hotel with like 60 rooms maybe they were hoping they would get my money and id say dont worry and leave but not today i needed it or wanted it anyway.

It took the chick on the desk at least 15 minutes to get me 2 twenty dollar notes, fair suck of the sav mate get organised will ya. Eventually they get my money sorted and im out of there. Jump on the bike and hit the first servo and its chockers and all the scalpers saying oh you need reflectors etc for your bike i just laugh at them saying its christmas time mate i want to be pulled up by the cops so i can pay some fines to help them with chrissy. Ended up just driving out of that servo it was just to painful with all the bums hanging around so rode off and went into the main town to get some fuel and money from the atm.

Pulled up and got some fuel that was a good idea there people in the town were much more friendly without all the spruikers hanging around. Got told where the atm was and headed over there to cash up for the border crossing and im glad i did in the end.

Rode off to the border crossing the south African side wasnt to bad was a little bit busy heading out but not to bad. Asked one bloke where the offices were and got pointed in the right direction and away I went. Gotmy passport stamped then over to the vechile window to get my exit stamp then to the police to have it stamped. Without even any questions I gave a 10 buck note to the boys at the police desk so you can imagine that put a smile on their face. I just said here guys buy a few drinks for chrissy and stamp stamp and they were more than helpful on where I was to go next to get my carnet stamped.

Walked over there got my carnet stamped then im out of Zim and over the bridge to South Africa and holy shit what the fuck is going on here. There was literally thousands of people, no joke it was mayhem. Im walking around going what the fuck do you do here there was immigration tents everywhere none of the lines were moving, I thought ok its not looking good for me to get to Joburg today looking at this mess. I went to one office and the guard goes you have to go to that line down there and go to that tent, holy shit the line is a few hundred metres long and no joke not moving anywhere in hurry.

I line up and stand there for a about 20 minutes and think shit im hot in all this motorbike gear i need a drink. Im talking to one bloke and say look if you look after my jacket ill go buy us some water. Its 11am and about 33 degrees celsius so bloody hot. I go to the shop to buy some water and get to the counter in another long line and they say we dont take US money you will ahve to go to the gate and change it so off I go pissed off and had enough already and tromp down to the gate to change a hundred US into rand.

Get back to the shop by 5 litre bottles of water and head back to the line where the dude is with my jacket and he's movied about 10 metres, ok only about 300 metres to go, seriously.

At about that stage I think fuck this theres got to be someone that can get me through quicker so I say can you hold my jacket again and walk off to find one of the many fixer dudes. Meet a few of them and say look if you can get me through this shit in under an hour ill give you 50 bucks. They agree and say ok give us your passport and the rego number of your bike and leave it with us. So I go grab my jacket off the guy in the line go sit under a tree with one of them and the other walks off into the crowd.

20 minutes later he comes back my passport is stamped my exit stamp for my vechile is stamped and all I need to do is get my carnet organsed and im out of there. They take me over to the customs joint get my carnet stamped and im done. What a pisser a whole days fucking around done sitting under a tree having a drink ahahahah to bloody easy. It was so hot by now but said my goodbyes to the boys and actually gave them another 20 each so they were stoked and so was I.

I ride over to customs at the gate and there is a few white dudes standing there watching me pull up their cars were being searched and they had all their gear out everywhere. The customs guy stops me and says I want to search your bike. Oh ok no problem mate so I get off walk over to the wall of the customs office sit down on the ground and say with a laugh knock yourself out if you want to search it go for it im not unloading it for you you can do it all. ahahahah he and his mate just look at me and then looked at the bike turns to his mate and say he looks hot ok dont worry you can go ahahaha we were all laughing as if the fuck im going to unpack my bike fully kitted up in 35 degree heat, if he was desperate to search it he was going to have to do it himself lol The guys behind me didnt seem to impressed that I got let go through so easily without having to unpack as they had but oh well. So in the end I would of been at the border post for about and hour and a half and I had heard stories of some people being there for 2 days at this time of year so I did quite well.

Hit the road and was cruising along trying to make up some time and I was actually hooting along and overtook 3 cars and two trucks while crossing a marked verge in the road so you guest it the wallopers were there and got me. Ok I was only going about 50 over the limit on the wrong side of the verge, I knew this was going to cost me. He says your going to be charged with dangerous and recklous driving and that the fine is a 1000 rand or something about a 120 aussie bucks. Again the old line surely theres a fine or a fee I can pay to you guys to sort this out so he says come over here with me and sit down. I get my wallet out and say Ive got 25 bucks here take that and we will call it a draw, it is Christmas time after all.

He says ok no problem we have a chat for a few minutes he gives me the tips on the radars for the next 20 ks telling me to be careful and away I go. All very friendly and I was hooning theres no doubt about that but shit happens, got to love the way the system is over here and even when they get you they are all so friendly with it. Im sure if I was on a 30 dollar a day budget it would be pissing me off but oh well suck shit a few bucks everyones happy including me.

Must admit it did slow me down for awhile well till I found the next atm as i was pretty skint by now so had to take it some what easy. The roads in South Africa is all expressways just about from the border to Joburg but there was plenty of cops all over the pace as there is in Australia at this time of year though in Australias ive probably racked up around 1500 dollars of fines and lost my license in the last 2 days lol

Had a really heavy thunder storm not far out from Pretoria was nice to get wet I had been hot for so long months in fact so didnt even bother with putting my wet weather top on was nice to be drenched through.
Arrived in Kempton Park to a really nice welcome from Arthur and Una and they got me a room and I settled in to unpack and have a shower. Arthur and Una have bought nice harley's each for rides since I was here 6 months ago, both really nice bikes. Arthur showed me the bikes and offered if I would like to leave my bike in there with theirs I could while I go home to Oz for the few weeks.

Solomon came over to tell me dinner was on hes the man that cooked me the best chicken snitzel Ive ever had when I first arrived here so I had remembered him and with any luck ill be able to grab one of them tomorrow night. Had a nice roast chicken dinner and a few Jack daniels and cokes so was a nice evening chatting to people in the bar.
Tomorrow Ill go for a ride over to customs to and sought out what the deal is with my bike leaving it here and then go look into booking a return ticket. Hopefully everything will go smoothly im sure I could probably just leave my bike here go jump on a plane and no one will no any different, its not as Im going for months ill only be gone a few weeks.
All in all a pretty eventful day with 500 k's and a border crossing which in the end didnt go to bad considering what it looked like what it was going to be.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 04:27 PM
Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #270
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I was pretty keen to find out what the deal was with my bike and how i could go about getting a ticket etc so got up reasonably early to get into it.

Had the standard bacon and eggs brekkie and then went and jumped on the bike and headed over to the customs office just up the road where it all began 6 months ago. It certainly made it easy knowing where all the offices were and that I was so close to them in Kempton Park.

Got to the customs office it was really quiet I thought oh no I hope they arent closed but went in anyway to the second floor and there was a lady at the desk I asked her about my problem and if I was able to leave my bike and fly home for a few weeks and come back and keep riding and she said yeah as long as the carnet is still valid which it is till June next year so all good. She said just a second ill go and get a second opinion and came back a few minutes later and said yeah its all good you can go leave your bike in a garage and come back to it no probs, Ok thats one issue sorted off to the airport.

Ride the few k's over to Tambo and walk in thinking there must be a Qantas desk here somewhere, asked a few people no they deal with them at BA and there in terminal B jsut walking distance away, get there sorry no you have to go to this other mob try there, now we dont do it upstair in terminal A, ok walk over there sorry not us try Menzies over in terminal B for fuck sake im walking around like a chook with its head cut off so I think ok this isnt getting me anywhere think ok im going to ask 4 people in this one area and then take what the most say and head that way. The first bloke gives me directions totally opposite to the other 3 so Im not going his way and head off again to terminal A. I think this is it if I cant sort it out this time Im giving up.

Walk in and the girl at thge desk this time says yeah we can get you a ticket tio Australia but its not cheap ok I saw them online for around 10 000 rand about 1200 bucks Aussie so think it would be nice to get one at the price but the cheapest shes offeriing direct is 17000 return or just over 2 grand. She finds me cheaper flights with other airlines that fly everywhere else first like 30 odd hours flying time but I say stuff that im not interesting in doing that.

All the flights are booked in the next few days but there is a flight today leaving in a few hours so I think about it for a minute umming and arring and say why not book me on. I have a go at her saying im not really happy about it though and she says why and i say well I was looking forward to seeing my kids but would of prefered after Christmas now its going to cost me shitloads in Christmas presents as well, Jodie just looks at me and says oh you scrooge and we both laugh. Hey it is going to cost me but oh well Ill buy on the boxing day sale day and save as much as I can so I have enough to buy her bloody kangaroo toy she put and order in for lol.

So basically thats it I pay for my ticket and then its back to Kemptom Park to tell Arthur that im leaving in a few hours and pack and git. It didnt take long I just took my venturer back pak took what clothes I needed and few other stuff pc phones etc and parked my bike in the shed with their Harleys and Arthur dropped me to the airport and in I went, done and done. So basically left this morning at 9 to go suss it all out and here I am at 5 oclock sitting on an airplane bound for Australia to see the boys for Christmas.

Good stuff I cant wait to see the boys im looking forward to it of course even if it is going to cost me in the present department lol

So three hours after arriving at Tambo Airport im on a plane back to Australia.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 06:21 PM