User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #346
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,986
Atbara to Dongola Sudan

Got up this morning to leave early to beat the heat and was on the road by 6:30 or so we thought. After last nights fiasco with the picture taking we thought that might be that but as we went to leave Atbara we got pulled over to see our paper work as per usual. Another one of those dickhead f*&king security police this time wasnt going to let us leave Atbara till we had a photo copy of our paperwork Jesus christ this is a friggin joke so anyway he made us turn around and try and go find a printer at 7 am on a weekend as friday is there weekend here in Sudan. Ive had a gutful of this security stuff in Sudan they can go fuck em selves. Im surprised any aid at all comes to this joint with all the bullshit and paranoia they have going on about white honkys.

I kept hearing how the Sudanese were the most friendly well im sure they are nice but the over riding fact is that your tracked and harrassed at every turn by security police its quite obvious they dont want you here. By the time I blog this i will have been in Sudan for 2 weeks and sadly thAt will feel like 2 weeks to long. Im just sick of the tracking of your every move like your some international spy. To be honest I dont think ill be coming back to Sudan in a hurry.
Anyway back to the mornings caper we rode back into town and got some fuel and then relaised we had one photocopy of our travel documents but which hadnt been stamped so it was either hang around till whenever trying to find a printer or give it a shot so we took off back up the road and to where the friggin nazi cop was and when we got there he was nowhere to be seen so we just gased it and took off into the distance, problem solved. What a friggin pain these guys are though fair dinkum they must be like some mall cop who they give this little kaki uniform too and they turn into tough guys.

Serioulsy though enough is enough every town you come into you have to show and give copies of your documents then you have to register at the police station that your in town and where you are staying then when you leave the town you have to give details again shit they must have a lot of spies running around in this country what they are doing here ive got no idea maybe they work for the all the chinese companies and they are just keeping tabs on anyone that might be seen as competition who knows.

They do say when you have nothing nice to say say nothing so this might not make the blog but anyway its in my blog and ill call it as I see it. Its a fucken pain in the ass to be honest im surprised anyone comes here at all.
On the positive side of things the roads are all very good its just straight new Chinese tarmac through the desert so no dramas at all. Got to the end of the road at Karima and the guy wanted another photo copy ok lucky we didnt use the one we had so handed that over and away we went. We continued a few k's up the road to the Merowe Pyramids which were pretty spectacular so we stopped and had a walk around for awhile. As we were leaving I got bogged down in some soft sdand and hammered a bit to get out but the back jsut sunk deeper and deeper into the sand and in the end I was stuck. I started digging it out but a car load of guys had seen me stuck and us trying to move the bike and they came over to help us out and we all just picked it up and put it oon the harder dirt, yeah a plus for Sudan finally, geez its taken awhile.

Stopped in Karima for a drink as really there was no point going on with no copies of our stuff but fortunatly the place we stopped at knew a mate of his down the road had a printer so Mike took our papers down the road and got a few done for us, ok no dramas. We had made pretty good time and as the temperature was only 36 we decided to ride the few hours over to Dongola.

Arrived in Dongola it was dead as a dodo as it was the weekend and theres not many hotels here, well we couldnt find any but Mike had a name of one so we got a tauk tauk driver to take us there. Its a little expensive at 20 bucks a night and its just a room but there are four beds in them dorm style and me and Mike wanted our own rooms and privacy so we are paying extra to have that. I think Mike is sleeping up on the roof tonight which would be very nice as the room is so hot, so basically he's paying 20 bucks to sleep outside and just store his gear in a room . Im not really fussed on the price its all ok but its only a little bit less than what we were paying for air conditioning dstv in Khartoum central so its pretty expensive for what you get. The rooms have no toilet air conditioning or tv and you have to share the toilets which isnt a big deal but its the ol squat toilet and the showers are very ordinary, well the pressure is crap so its bucket showers with the stench of the toilet in your nose, just lovely.

The saving grace its owned and run by this really nice Korean couple Isa and his wife and three really nice boys. We have to be in Wadi Haifa on Monday or Tuesday so will make a move at some point either tomorrow or Sunday, Mikes keen to camp in the desert I just want to camp anywhere other than in Sudan lol.

We went for a ride into town to register and do all that crap and while we were in there we hit the local grocery store to buy some chicken and stuff for dinner which was a nice change. The kitchen they have set up here has all the gear you need to cook a nice feed but you will have to prepare your own meals theres no cooking or anything done for you. so its buy your own and cook it or head into town to one of the little basic restaurants. All in all a pretty good day covered lots of K's with lots of security bullshit as usual but met some nice people along the way.

This guy was on his pushbike riding in the extreme heat, now these guys are hellman

Get that up ya Sudan lol

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 09:57 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #347
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Dongola Sudan

Got up today pretty early and had breakfeast well a coke and a ciggie the breakfast of champions and hung out for awhile. Isa took us fora sail on the Nile River in a traditional wooden sailing boat dont ask me the name of it you will have to google it but apparently they are all but finished now since the Chinese built the bridge over the river so Isa is trying to take tourist down there for a sail to keep the tradtion alive. It was really nice but at 70 pounds or about 15 bucks its way to expensive for waht it is and how much of that money actually gets to the captain im not sure but I saw Isa hand him some money while were were there and I can asure it wasnt 280 pounds that the four of us that were on the boat paid for the hour cruise back and forth across the river, to be honest it left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth Isa really should of told us that it was going to cost, but it just goes to show if you dont ask how much in Africa your going to get hammered for way to much money, look it was really enjoyable but when you walk away from something so nice feeling like youve been ripped off its not the way you want to leave feeling.

We then for a walk to a local Nubian village to have a look around which was really interesting well as interesting as it can be, its not like a African village with all the grass huts etc they have a architecture of mud brick walls and cane roofs that are fairly high to let the heat escape. It gets quite hot around here at times of the year and Isa was saying it was 47 the other day when we were in Khartoum at 43 degrees celcius. We walked around the village for awhile and then a nice family invited us in for coffee so off we went to join them at their place. They had a few kids so i let the boys have a muck around with the games on my phone which they enjoyed so that was nice to share with them for a little while Im guessing they dont have to many galaxy 2 smart phones in these parts.

We stayed for awhile then headed off back to the lodge for a relax for awhile then headed down to one of the little beach's for a BBQ afternoon tea dinner and a swim. It was a really nice afternoon other than when they finished preparing dinner they all broke out into some religoious song to give thanks. Me and Mike just look at each other and smiled, we knew Frank was a religious evanglist here to save some souls but when they all broke out in song all together it was pretty obvious they were all here on the same mission. fair f&*ken dinkum bloody religous nuts everywhere you look trying to convert someone. Other than that side of it it was a really nice birthday party of young Sem and it was a very nice way to spend the afternoon.

Got back to the lodge on dark Mike had decided to camp I was going to but in the end just couldnt be bothered setting up my tent in the heat of the day so I just stayed in the room.

Another nice day but a few things the boat costing 70 pounds and then Isa saying usually when they invite people to a river lunch they charge 25 pounds but didnt today as it was Sem's birthday, well it just took the gloss of what other wise would of beena nice day. If they are going to invite people to things they need to tell them there is a cost involved and as the boat was quite expenisive I think it was actually really rude not to make it quite clear that it was going to cost so much. Whether its worth it or not is up to you and how much money you like to throw away to me it was way over priced and I mean wayyyyyyyyy over priced.

Just another negative against Sudan, shit they better start putting some positives in there its been a real real let down so far other than Hugo, Angela and young Alexander who were so welcoming without expecting anything in return but they were Dutch and Italian so no real help to the Sudanese positives.

We got onto Mazza our fixer in Wadi Haifa for the ferry to Egypt just beofre he asked us to come up to Wadi tomorrow as theres a barge leaving in the afternoon as soon as we get there we can get the bikes on to Aswan otherwise there will be a delay of up to a week before the next barge leaves.
So Wadi Haifa and Egypt here we come.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #348
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Dongola to wadi Haifa Sudan

We got up reasonably early to miss the heat which was good it satill took us till 7:30 to hit the road. Wadi haifa is a lot closer than I thought its was only going to take us 4 and a half hours to get there which was a hell of a lot less than I expected plus the fact its all new tarmac basically all the way and the ride was pretty good. The temperature was a cool 30 odd degrees celcius so very comfortable. for riding.

We passed through a few small towns Abri and others but they were all on the Nile and off the new highway so we didnt even bother turning off to go look into them as they basically all looked the same just more mud brick homes with lots and lots of abandon ones that people just seem to have left to fall down to the ground. Its one of the real noticable things about Sudan there is just lots and lots of shells of what would of been houses at some stage but they have just been abandoned and thats just not just homes it is whole villages too just deserted ruins everywhere its quite weird.

Alot of the areas up this way are being mined for gold so you see all these litle camps and dues mining away ion the side of the road in pretty horrid conditions I must say it gives you and insight of what it must of been like back in the olden days when the gold rushes were on in earnest cause this is much the same there is gold everywhere and people are just out in the desert looking for that one nugget to make their fortune.

Kleopatra Hotel Wadi Haifa

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 07:08 AM
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #349
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Wadi Haifa Ferry

spent a few days in Wadi Haifa its a really nice town which was surprising after all the negative stuff we read about it, I guess if you are here and its 45 degree celcius it might be a bit of a pain but the temperature has been pretty nice at around 35. The food again here is basic but really nice and the people around here are mostly miners or traders that travel into Egypt for stuff and back and they seem really friendly, its been a really nice change from all the security bullshit you have to go through everywhere else in Sudan its a real relaxed atmosphere and ive really enjoyed my 3 days here.

Mazzer has been a real star so if your ever going to egypt from here use him he has done everythign that has to be done without us even having to lift a finger which has been excelent. Today we boarded the ferry and even that was a breeze all the paper work and organising was done by mazzer all we had to do was sit around then go get our passports stamp which took around 5 minutes and then off to the ferry.

Me and Mike and Ben have a cabin booked so that will make it all ok to sleep tonight as the ferry is pretty chockers. Ian and Lauara the UK couple ive met along the way a few times turned up late yesterday so they will be on the ferry also but there truck isnt leaving ill necxt week now so they will have some time in Aswan hanging around waiting. We were one of the first crews on the boast and immediately went up stairs to the front section not that we needed to with our cabins but its such a nice day im want going to sit inside for a few hours waiting so we were upstair hanging in the shade by the captains quarters which was nice. I bumped into a few of the boys from the other day when we loaded the bikes on and I had helped them unload a truck well i joined the chain and handed a few boxes off and we were laughing and joking around at the time and they remembered me from them so that was nice so basically we had a free run around and they introduced me to the captain and he took me into the wheelhouse and showed me around.

Everyone has been really freindly and all the Eyptian people we have met have been extra nice to so hopefully that will continue on when we hit egypt as they say its a real pain up there but so far so good.
The ferry got underway and hour late which wasnt any big deal we arent going anywhere in a hurry so it was just a matter of relaxing. The other cringos that were travelling second class found a spot and settled in for the 17 hour boat ride they all seem comfortable enough, there is one german couple they seem to be bitchign about everything and everyone so im guessing their blog might be reading somewhat different to mine but form what I could gather they would whinge if they were on the Qe2.

We met a nice Sudanese guy who had worked in the US embassy for 10 years so he could speak good engish and he was travelling up into Egypt by ferry as all the planes were booked and this was the only other form of transport there. He was travelling with his wife and 2 kids and they didnt have to much prepared for the journey so I grabbed out my self inflating mattress for them so they could at least have some form of comfort for the trip, and they ended up sharing it and doing shifts to sleep on it. Me and Mike are in our cabin ive just watched a movie so really relaxed theres a bit of noise so if your a light sleeper a set of ear plugs might come in handy but its nothing over the top its actually quite comfortable.

well where leaving behond Sudan to be honest im glad to see the back of it with all the security stuff but in only two weeks it wasnt really long enough to get a real good handle on the people of Sudan as if I had gone through Ethiopia in that time Id probably of wanted to kill all Ethiopians after all my gear got pilfered instead of liking it so much and it taking equal second spot on my favourite countries with South africa, Zimbabwe was still way out in front.
All in all the ferry ride and all the organising to get it has been absolutely painless thanks to Mazzer and im looking forward to gettign into Egypt tomorrow and hanging out in Aswan for a few days, I have no idea what to expect but I know theres a Mcdonalds there so ill be happy as larry lol

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 12:17 PM
Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #350
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Aswan Egypt

Arrived in Aswan and took out time Mike had been detained and his passoport taken and had to sit in the dining room while it was all sorted out just doing checks on him as he is American, what a pain in the ass for him but not any real drama i just lay down in the cabin until it was all sorted then we left the boat.

we made our way up to the top of the ramp and sat in the shade was no big dramas we werent in any hurry but Kamal our fixer said ok come this way and proceeded to lead us into a argy bargy mine field of people hassling to get through a single door. I dont really understand wehat the hurry was we could of sat there for another 30 or 40 minutes and walked through without any hassle at all but it was only like 15 minutes of total mayhem and then we were just sitting in the customs office doing out carnets for the bike. The customs guy wanted to go hiome so we decided we would come back tomorrow and do it all so no big drama Kamal piled us into his cart and took us into town to the Philae Hotel which was pretty nice and right on the main drag of Aswan over lookign the Nile River.

We hung around for awhile then went for a walk me and Mike went over to one opf the cruise boats moored across the road for a drink and that was a mistake as the double JD's cost us 20 US a drink, again if you dont ask the price of things here in Africa you get slammed we just dont ever seem to learn that lesson do we. Obvioulsy after finding that out we made a quick exit and and headed back to another bar but the prices in Egypt are pretty expensive so we called it a night.

The entry into Egypt and Kamal so far have been fantastic and hopefully we get out bikes on Saturday without to miuch drama as tomorrow (friday) is the start of the weekend over here and nothing gets done except praying.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #351
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Aswan

Had a relaxing friday doing sweet fa but walking down to Maccas for a munch its the first one in Africa in 12000 odd k's so was nice to woop a big mac into my guts. The bikes cant be cleared till tomorrow so we will be onto it first thing in the morning so other than hanging around in the nice room I just went for a walk down the waterfront and along the markets at the back of the motel which were interesting but the poor ol spruikers give you a bit of a hard time they just have no tourists around well very few anyway.

Everyone has been very very friendly its such a nice change to the suspicion everyone seem to look at you with in Sudan and on a plus as well alot of english speaking people where as In Sudan very few talked any English so it was hard to commicate with them.

Aswan maccas

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 06:08 AM
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #352
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Aswan getting the bikes registered and cleared

Got up and wentr to get the bikes cleared from the ferry today. Kamal has been really good no dramas art all. we went into get his mate from customs at his home and had to wait awhile as he was stil asleepso the waiting game had already started but thats cool just sitting around having a drink waiting in the back alleys of Aswan getting to see what the real people live like.

we headed over to the wharf and the barge had to come around which took some time they were having trouble getting it into the dock with a few other boats there but in about the 4th attemp they brought it on in. We road the bikes off the barge straight onto the dock so that process was easy although another hour onto the day but still all good just hanging around no effort all involved. We took them back up to customs and Kamals mate the head of the customs signed ot carnets and we paid the bill so that was one stage of the process already done.

After that we went outside to the bikes and Ben gave me a hand to replace my chain and sprocket that definatly needed doing so while Kamal went off to register our bikes we repaired my bike so that was handy and killed two birds with one stone. It took us about an hour we were short of a tool to take the front sprocket off but a local dude came along and had a tyre iron which had the size we needed and off it came so all good.
The bikes running so much quieter with the new chain and sprockets which is nice none of the rattling around so makes for evewn more enjoyable riding'.

Kamal came back and we threw the number plates on the bikes so all in all it was a totally painless exercise to bring the bikes in to Egypt when all you hear are the horror stories of organising it, So Highly recommend Mazzer and Kamal if you are doing this leg of the trip.

Rode back into town and went out for dinner but other than that was a pretty relaxed day. Weve decided to stay one more night i said id pay for Bens accomadtation for the night as he did most of the work on the bike so we will be leaving in a few days to head to Luxor and the Valeey of the Kingd and all the other temples up that way.
Aswan has been really nice i like it here we have certainly left Africa behind it seems.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #353
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Last day in Aswan

Hung around going for walks etc checking out a few of the local sights but nothing to exciting, was going to do my washing but meh i would of had to walk to the reception to hand it in so that was a good enough excuse not too. So organised all the gear back into its bags as we had to take it al off for the ferry ride will be up early well sort of early tomorrow to hit the road ive enjoyed aswan its a nice town the markets in the back streets are good if you wanted to come and spend some cash on some nice stuff but it gets a little painful after while with them all hassling you but its no different to any other tourist place in the world where us westerners travel too.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #354
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Aswan to Luxor

The ride to Luxor today was really nice we were on the west side of the Nile which isnt the quick way but takes you through all the local villages and the people are amazingly friendly everyone says hello and waves its nice to be back in a welcoming enviroment after Sudan. At one stage we were crusing along and a little voice in me told me I should stop so i slowed down and talked to Mike and said im stopping a tthe next shop.

I hadnt even got off my bike and a car pulls up and says you just dropped your phone ooops shit hey my new galaxy 2 is on the road a k or so back up there. A local guy who talked to the guy in the car offered to jump on my bike and come back up the road with me to help communicate and off we went. A minutes later thyeres a big group of peop0le hanging by the side of the road waving at me so stop and heres a guy walks over and hands me my phone back wow how lucky was that, pays to listen to those little voices hey. I slipped the guy a few bucks so everyone walked away happy and me mostly as that camera had so many pictures on it now and after all its only a few months old so it would of been a pretty expensive loss.

We got back to where the boys were and Mike and Ben were sittign down chatting to the locals and I offered the guy with me a few bucks but all he wanted was for me to have a cup of tea with him . The Egyptian people have been really nice and they are certainly up there with the Zimabweans for wanting to help you. The only down side is the constant sales dudes caresh drives (horse and buggy) hassling you for business but they are jsut trying to eek out a living so I can see past that without getting to upset about it.

We arrived in Luxor and stopped and talked to a dude on the side of the road he said hed take us to a nice hotel that was pretty cheap so we fiollowed him into town. Ok the Isis Hotel was never going to stay there so he didnt even want to walk in but I said lets jsut go sit in the bar have a drink and work out what we are going to do.
While we were in there one of the guys told us about the gaddis over the road only 15 bucks a night so thats us its got Pay tv air conditioning and a pool and secure parkign so that was us.

We went and booked in the rooms are nice and the pool ok so I unpacked and headed straight down for a swim.
While I was down there met a couple of English people they have been here for a few weeks the girl looks pretty nice ill definatly have to have a bit mor of a chat to her ahahahah

Another great day on the road im a little tired but nothing to bad it was only a few hundred k's so all good. Around here theres the valley of the Kings Valley of the queens Luxor Temple Karnack temple so alot of historical stuff to see so we will get into that in the next few days which shoudl be really amazing.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 11:50 PM
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #355
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Luxor

A nice cruisey day around the pool today with a bit of a venture out in to Luxor to have a look around we arent in any hurry at 15 bucks a night in comfortable surroundings so its been nice to have a relaxing time with nice people around. Peter, Richard and Tina are the poms i met yesterday all seem really nice so had some nice company to hang out with. Went down to the Kings Head Pub to watch the Man City, Man U local derby and have some dinner was a good night. Mikes not into the football all that much so he left early and I stayed with another nice Englsih couple who had ben on one of the cruise boats that run up the Nile from Aswan to Luxor and they said it was ok. Im sure its a nice trip if you wanted to do something with a partner but from the looks of things the there arent an over abundance of single women on the crusie boats so better if you take your own lol

We sat and jibbered on till well after midnight met a few of the crew from the Gaddis down there as well young Dave and a few others so all good company. The booze is relatively cheap here so all good on that front and all the people I seem to be bumping into are really nice too as usual. We are off to the valley of the kings in the morning early so im glad i didnt get to sidetracked on the drink. Im really lookin forward to it and want to enjoy it not walk around with a hangover.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 11:51 PM
Old 05-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #356
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Luxor and the Valley of the Kings

Got up pretty early to go do all the tourist stuff they keeps saying how hot it gets out there but there was somewhat of a could cover today so all good on that front.

We went to Del sa Medina (spelling not right) first ill have to check up on the name its the workers village where all the artists and different people lived and worked from. There is hardly any tourists around which is good for us basiclaly had the joint to ourselves other than a busload who were all sitting under a shelter getting the speel on what it all was in german or some foriegn lingo. Me and Mike cruised off into the ruins by ourselves Ben wasnt into walking anywhere so he just did the main tomb and that was it for him but I really enjoyed it there is a fair bit to see around and the all the diifernet spots where the workers must of worked out of was quiet impressive. There was another temple just over the hill that had been converted into a Roman fort at some stage and that was really interesting as well. We went back to the main tomb where the head artist had made for himself apparently decorating it in his spare time for when he was to be buried it was quite spectacular.

Im pretty sure Bens had a gutfull of Africa let alone Egypt hes not at all interested in any of this stuff hes a truck driver and probably the dude that hit me and is checking on how im blowing his insurance money, well suck shit buddy im loving it all just cause your living a shit life dont mean i have to ahahaha Hes really just not interested in any of this stuff by the sounds of things but everyone to their own. We went over to the Valley of the Queens and had a look around there, theres basically no one here so we had the joint to ourselves again other than another family which makes it nice to just walk around with out the crowds.

Would of like to see the Nefratiti tomb but it was closed for renovations. We spent a little while there then headed over to the Valley of the Kings obviously being one of the more popular tourists spots there was a about 4 or 5 buses there so a little more crowded but nothing to bad if going on the size of the car park is any indication its about 1 tenth full. Walked in bought the tickets to Tutenkahmen tomb and headed off for a look. The scalpers in there are a classic in your face to buy post cards little cripts and anything else you might like they are all pretty friendly but im sure alot of people must get the shits with them at times. They tend to leave me alone to some extend maybe they can spot a cheap bastard a mile away hahah

The Tutenkahmen tomb is small but very interesting the art work is still very well preserved so it was very interesting, this tomb was one of the last to be discovered which is surprising as its pretty much in the front of the Valley of the Kings, I guess they started digging into the mountain side and this one being more up front they missed it for such a long time.
Ben walked in and walked out and that was it for him he was going home so Mike decided to head back with him I wanted to do a fair bit more looking around im not riding half way round the world to come to one of the classic historical sites in the world and walk in and out in 30 minutes and not even take any time to see any of the other 50 or so tombs there.

So they took off and I kept going I walked back down to the office and bought tickets to Rameses 6 and the three tomb ticket and got some info on which were the best to see. In the end I spend about 4 hours crusing around, the bad news I had the place basically to myself almost other than a few other small groups and being by myself was able to pick the tombs with no one in them so it was a really enjoyable walk around and obvioulsy I had picked up a freindly spruiker who was hanging around with me. He had worked here for 10 years and knew all the cops that were hanging around so when we walked up this pathway to one of the tombs that was away from everywhere and a truckload of cops came pilingout he just told them something in Arabic and they all just turned around and walked away and left us to it. He took me up around in the hills behind the valley of the kings was really an awesome place to walk around.
Ended up doing the Ramseses 1 and 3 and then another tomb, Ramseses 6 is a must the art work in there is amazing to be so preserved after so man thousands of years.

Left the Valley of the kings and walked back out the front id picked up a couple of kids trying to sell me stuff again so instead of buying there junk i offered them all a ride on my bike so chucked them on one at a time and flew around the car park a few times they all loved it.

Headed back into town and relaxed for awhile then we headed out for dinner and a few drinks. Getting to know Tina and Peter and Richard better now as you do over a few days everyone gets on well which is always nice when you meet a good crew of people to hang out with and have a bit of a party with. Ben is leaving in the morning hes on a mission to get through Africa he's not going to bother with any of the other temples or tombs, obvioulsy hes not travelling to experience Africa which seems areal shame as there is just so much here to experience and take in and in Luxor alone there is just so much more to see than Tutenkahmens tomb. As I said everyone to their own i guess just seems a real waste.

I've had a great few days here in Luxor so far met some really nice people Tinas great and really nice and i can take the piss out of her without her breaking out in tears which is always a positive and makes for fun company.

Shhh don't tell anyone I took a picture

Luxor Temple

Up the back of the Valley of the Kings

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 12:04 AM
Old 05-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #357
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Luxor and Karnac Temple

Had a few days off blogging been to the Karnac temple for the light show then back again in the morning to see it in the day which is amazing the last person to build on that site was Alexander the Great so when you walk through the gates you sort of think of some of the most incredible rulers in the world have past through them. The light show at the Karnac quite surreal it was amazing. The last great person to build on the site was apparently Alexander the Great so walking through the gates as you can imagine was quite special with some of the famous people in history that have walked through them. Had a few great nights out with Tina and the crew as much as the places we go to are quiet you only need a few people to make a party and we have had a good night when we have been out.

This Luxor is quite funny really theres stacks of old pommy ducks running around with 20 yo Egyptian dudes its like the sex trade in reverse here now that wouldnt be so bad but its all just old bags and young dudes when its the other way around they are the odd one out more often than not so when its just all one it sticks out like dogs balls ahahahah its a frigging classic actually if it wasnt so disgusting it would be hilarious how the guys do it is beyond me and its not attractive older women its old boilers you just have to see it to believe it. Im pretty sure Tina will end up in that scene ahahahahah Anyway enough of that but if you think you might come to Luxor to meet some women dont bother unless your into 65+ pommy chicks and hassling with their 20 odd yo boyfriends.

Everyone has been really nice the caresh drivers (horse and buggy dudes) have basically given up on us now so that takes one hassle out of the way and makes it easier to live and ive taken a few of their kids for rides on the bike so that tends to help as well.

The Egyptian people are all so friendly and nice they are certainly roaring up the list of my favoured people I have met in my travels.

It really is a shame there tourism trade is down but its understandable with what I found out today that 70 odd people were massacred at the Hashiput temple where I was the other day in 1997 and had their bodies mutilated and messages praising Islam left in the disambowelled bodies its probably going to have some sort of impact on tourism lol. I think basically it has never recovered and with one drama after the other is unlikely to any time soon. I was surprised to hear of that massacre as I had never heard of it but it was before Sep 11 bullshit so maybe that stuff wasnt getting the coverage it does now and it was just like oh yeah 70 tourists got butchered today no biggie.
We leave for Hurghada tomorrow its only 280 K's away but on the way we will stop at the Dendra temple where Cleopatra and Ceasar used to hang out apparently its pretty nice there too.

After getting past that this town is for x pat geriactrics its a really nice town but definatly not a place where ill be coming back to stay for any length of time, of course unless I go back to Thailand have a sex change and in about 25 years come back aqnd live it up ahahahah now thats just wrong even for me ahahahah.
They say Hurghada is a Russian tourist destination thats a bit more up my alley so look out Rusky chicks im on my way lol

I need some work

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 11:56 PM
Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #358
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Luxor to Hurghada

Got woken up at the crack of dawn by the crew going ballooning they rang my phone and knocked on my door just to make sure I was awake thinking it was me that was going oh well im up now might as well start packing up im wasnt going back to sleep. I walkked around and banged on Mikes door to get him started otherwise ill be sittign around like a shag on a rock waiting.

I was sittign downstairs with Keith in the end and I was saying Mike always walks up and say ok you ready and here I am sittign in my board shorts and not ready and saying are you coming and 10 minutes later guess what happened. Its all good I just have to chuck on my shoes and the wet weather pants over my boardies chuck my jacket on and away we go.
Even getting up at the crack of dawn it was till 9ish before we left we had organised petrol again as tghere is a shortage here which it cost us but there was no waiting the first time the guy took us to the front of the line and it took s 10 minutes the second time he came back with Jerry cans full just in case there is any issue with fuel in the next day or so, apparently the fuel shortage doesent apply over in Hurghada lets hope so it will definatley make things a little less hassle trying to find juice but in saying that it really hasnt been a hassle weve just had to pay for it, if it was Ben he would be blowing up but its not a big deal im happy to fork out sometimes you get caught up paying a little more but in reality its still cheaper than home by a long way.

We hit the road and headed to the Dendra Temple where Cleopatra used to hang out with Ceasar so was pretty amazing to see all that I had a sence ok theres been some serious shagging been going on in this temple in the past ahahah oh yeah as well as being impressed by the amazing history of the place. We went to leave out of Dendra and got held up in our first road block sitting around waiting for them to clear it with someone for about 20 minutes its all good they are all so friendly and in reality jsut want to make sure we get there safely.

We hit the road towards Hurghada long desert road nothing out of the orinary we havent seen alot of already in this trip then got stopped at another road block, again the cops there were all really friendly and offered us tea. Again the poepl even the coppers are jsut really nice so if your not in a hurry you will have a good time here its a nice way to get to meet the locals Mihammed was showing us videos of his kids wrestling on his phone a bloody classic the WWE just knows no bounds in this part of the world.

The last section of the ride was really spectacular through big mountains and then you come out of it and theres the Red Sea. It had beena really enjoyabkle ride and even though it was quite hot it was great fun.
We ended up on the outskirts of Hughada and saw a Macdonalds so thought we would stop and have a munch on some good ol local cuisine. While we were siting in there a pommie guy Dave rolled up on his bike and came in and sat down next to us and started to have a chat. After we finished eating Dave said he would show us a nice hotel down on Sheraton Street to stay and it was cheap so all good we jumped on the bikes and headed off into Hurghada proper to get our digs for the next few nights.

Ended upnext door to where Tima had suggested its a little run down but ok for 15 bucks a night well in comparison to naywhere in the world 15 bucks a night is great really its got a pool its own private beach across the road and wifi in the foyer and only a few minutes stroll to the centre of town.

We booked in Mikes been having a bitch session about a few things lately he has been onto Saba in Germany an Ethiopian girl we met and as its gettigj close to the end of his trip so any sort of delay or problem seems to be getting to him a little more than it has prevouisly but I have to say it is startign to wear a little thin hes been bitching about so much its like hes not enjoying Egypt where as I am having a really good time of it and finding the poeple great.

We unpacked and got into our room and headed out for a walk through town to a few of the clubs Dave had suggested. We ended up in the Famous bar its a dance club flamingo stuff not right up my alley but the chicks in there were ahahahah

Headed own to the Marina where Tina had said it was good it was a littlwe quiet but theres bars a palnty down there so we walked through and then back and stopped in the first one and had a few drinks. We left there a little while later and headed back to the Famous bar I had to twist Mikes arm hes gettgin olf you know so in we went and there was some gorgeous women in there prancing around dancing way out of my league on the dance floor, im sure the skinny guy inside me woud of given them a run for their money.
Headed home to the Moon Valley Hotel around I dont know why am I mentioning that I was pissed, it was dark anyway.
Great days riding great people along the way great experience I really like Hughada already mmmmm rusky chicks are the pops dude lol

A little bit of the ride heading towards the Red Sea coast

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 10:59 PM
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #359
GirlieS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Allthough late..... subscribed... you're not in Europe yet!
GirlieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #360
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

im a little bit behind by a few weeks in my blogging cause ive been sidetracked by a girl but will be leaving for turkey in a few weeks, when i leave egypt it will be almost a year in africa and its been fantastic all the way, ive planned a year in europe so theres no rush if my trip takes an extra year then ill survive as hard as it will be lol