Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #541
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,004
Had a fantastic ride today i feel like a little kid when im riding on roads like this I just dont want to get off the bike and ride and ride and ride, its just fantastic. The scenary, the roads especially from Durness to Ullapool wow jsut fanging the shit out of it and having a ball.

I ended up leaving Inverness not exactly knowing how far I was going to get but thought id get to John O'groats and see how im feeling. The few hour ride up there was nice, good roads nothing to spectacular mainly highway till John O'Groats, had a few showers but nothing that you wouldnt get used to in sunny ol Scotland lol

Arrived at John Ogroats, did a few photos and then took off to the actual most northern point up the road about 10 miles further up at Dunnet Head and this is where the fun began. The road quickly turns into single lane with passing bays every couple of hundred metres so all good, I was just flying along and pulling as the cars went past.

Got to Tongue the next town along the northern cape of the Uk and felt good so just kept on going I was just having to much fun to even contemplate stopping.

Arrived in Durnass and had a bite to eat, the lady asked me if i was going to say there but i said i cant im having to much fun riding im going to just keep riding and as Ullapool is only an hour or twos ride ill make it no problem.
Im so glad I kept going that last section was amazing its just full on winding speed demon road with amazing scenary that im sure I missed a lot of as I was fanging it. I did stop if something caught my eye and take a photo so there were a few stops .

The good news is I havent seen hardly any cops on the roads maybe they are all in London for the olympics but they certainly are thin on the ground up here which is good for motorbike riding,

Certainly easily the best days riding ive had since i arrived in the Uk by far and i could easily ride the road again, meh not this time.

Now im in Ullapool camping waiting for the morning ferry to Isle of Lewis and then going to island hop it down then get a ferry to the isle of Skye and then on down to Glasgow or Edinbrugh.

Today was the first time in ages ive actually been cold it was down to about 10 degrees celcius pretty nippy when theres a bit of rain around and this all in the middle of summer, no wonder they invented scotch, sit inside and get pissed all day instead of going out to round up the sheep.

Met a few nice crew on the road again a nice couple from Manchester and a group of guys from Germany riding around up this way for a few weeks. Everywhere you go you just meet other people travelling so everyones in a friendly happy mood. Met an Australian couple in John Ogroats from Perth so was nice to meet someone from home even if only breifly
Anyway tucked up in my tent hope it isnt to cold to night though im pretty rugged up the only real worry is that every morning so far in Scotland hasd been raining so hopefully that isnt the case in the morning,

Simply loving just riding the bike its so much fun, i was thinking to day im not really a tourist cause im just riding id be happy to miss stuff if i could ride on roads like that every day it reminded of me when i was a kid riding around the back yard i just couldnt get enough of riding and then later when i used to go camping and riding I just wanted to be on the bike all the time so to be doing this is sooooo much fun i love it
Some of these pictures will you give you some idea of the roads im riding and why its so much fun.

Heres just a few of the photos I took today

These roads were so much fun

Stopped to have a chat with a group of German guys from Cologne riding around

The road winding off through the lochs

Some fun off road too

After a greats days ridng im wondering where can I get a beer to top it off, mmmm maybe looks like im going right here lol

Should I take it easy and enjoy the scenary or go fast and enjoy the bike ride ahahaha slilly question for a motorcyclist scenary what scenary

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 05:18 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #542
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got of fthe ferry and had a look around Stornoway for about 30 minutes but id been sitting on my ass for a few hours so was pretty keen to just fire the bike up and hit the road so thats exactly what i did. Headed to the the most northerly point on the isle as im catching the ferry from the most southern so off I went in search of good riding roads.

The road to the north is pretty straight and boring but still its got some good sections in it but basically your just going up there on a road to the tip of the isle and thats it.

Did all the tourist shit up there the lighthouse the port etc and there is some medieval fortress well its a little island off the mainland a few hundred metres around and connected by a metal walkway nowadays, what the fook did they live out here for surely theres a nicer spot a little more protected than this..

On the lighthouse earlier the Butt of Lewis had made the guiness book of records for the windiest place in the Uk so I was thinking if its windy just up the road this place must cop a hell alot most times of the year so interesting it was a fort I would think if the weather was anything like it is today in the middle of summer they wouldnt of had to many invaders, its cold and shitty, well im feeling the cold today surprisingly, its about 11 degrees but sheesh its supposed to be the middle of summer.

Hit the road back south not knowing exactly where too but south anyway and found some amazing riding. Was having an absolute ball on the bike yet again, im just loving it. I really do love riding any bike anywhere its jsut so much fun and when you are on roads like these with no cops in sight its always so good, I heard a local saying earlier on the ferry there was only one cop on the island well im not sure ho true that is cause I saw a few cars in the cop shop but the only copper I saw was an older lady in her mid 50's id be backing she woudlnt even see me go past id be going so fast ahahaha.

Went and saw the Calanais Standing Stones its like Stonehenge but on a smaller scale but apparently predates Stonehenge and from all reports you are fenced off so far from Stonehenge these daysd it really doesnt sound like its got that mystique about it anymore, well im going off what the people ive met that have been there said but everyone has a different opinion I might of just met a few that had negative experiences from there, its like the pyramids in egypt some people walk away from the going oh well not what i expected but i certainly didnt i reaslly enjoyed them and my time there so ill probably go and see them at some stage, all i got to do now is find out where they are ive probably already ridden past them. but for now the Calanais Stones are pretty cool.

Dropped in a an old village how they used to live in the 18th and 19th century really quite nice and comfortable inside ther hgouses and they would of had everything they needed living so close to the coast with fishing, farming and anything else they need to sustain themselves, would of been a nice life except you probably had to pay some rich knob everything you caught or grew just to live there.

Thought id ride down to the southern part of the island id been on the road for about 4 or 5 hours now and its about 1 and half hours ride so had all good intentions of making the 6:30 pm ferry. Well that didnt happen ended up riding around lost for another hour and then came to a dead end on this little single lane road oh well I guess theres been a wrong tunr off in there somewhere.

So spun the bike aroudn and headed off again well this time I seem to be going on and and on and on so thought as my petrol was starting to get a little low on juice i'd stop and ask this dude where the hell I am. He said your heading for a dead end up here, oh great im glad i stgopped but he said you have to ride back 40 minutes where i had just come from and turn right, ok 40 minutes for you means 15 for me plus it will give me a chance to ride this section of road i found which is simply amazing speeds of over 160 on this newly built part, wide flat winding down and back up a valley with amazing fast speed corners, only a few k's long but fantastic fun. In the end I road this section 4 times even after i went back on it I had to turn around and go ride it again, its probably one of the best sections ive come across on my whole trip so that says alot plus the fact your in the middle of nowhere and noone to say slow down its great, would be fantastic on a superbike.

You cant go to fast on some of the the single laned roads they dip and rise all the time and i reckon of you were doing anymore than 140 on these sections on a lighter bike you would be getting airborne or at the very least having the front wheel up all the time.

You can imagine the fun I was having riding on roads likes. Got back to the main road and ok took the right like the guy said and rode for about 20 minutes great riding again and stopped for petrol. Why I was there got chatting to a local guy and asked him how much longer have I got to get the Leverberg, he said well your heading in the wrong direction going that way ahahahah oh shit so much for going south I was actually going north, stuff it ahahahah done it again, got to love being a dickhead sometimes, oh well it was great riding so who cares.

I thought stuff it ill just headback into Stornoway and get a hotel and he actually drove the 7 miles into town and showed me a hotel in the back streets which was really nice of him. Im sure I could of found one by myself but it was such a nice gesture for him to go out of his way to make sure I got somewhere to sleep for the night. A nice Gaelic welcome to the Isle of Lewis.

Checked in then went up and had chinese for dinner it was nice to have a nice meal after a great days riding, ordered honey king prawns and she just looked at me and said what are they I just sioad your joking your chinese and you dont know what honey king prawns are with a laugh, I said just deep fry some king prawns and chuck some honey on them and ill be sweet ahhhh saki saki I know she said. I ordered there house fried rice as well and I have to say it was ther best fried rice I think ive ever had bloody beautiful mate. Almost felt like pigging it down having a chuck and going back for more, but thats more Paris Hiltons style and ive already lost my movie star good looks years ago, oh ok weeks ago ahahahah

The ferry from Leverberg leaves at 2ish tomorrow so I have plenty of time to ride down there and jump over to the next island and ride around on some more great roads hopefully.
The bed in this room is bloody comfortable, i could easily stay a few days in here but nah plenty of riding to do and places to see i really am starting to be on a motorcycle adventure now ahahahah ive been on the road since January 2011 qand im just starting to feel like im on a motorcycle adventure ahahah I must be off my head on honey king prawn. Imust admit the riding up here and lately has been bloody awesome.

Calanais Standing Stones Isle of Lewis, Herbrides north west Scotland

Some of the old houses they used to live in they were actually quite nice I could easily imagine living in one of these joints

Plenty of Peate out the back for the fire

Some of the beaches on the south of the Isle of Lewis and Harris

The local surfers helping herd a trapped Minki whale out of the harbour at Leverberg

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 03:52 PM
Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #543
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a pretty easy day today rode down to the south of the Ilse of Lewis some spectacular scenary very nice and hadnt booked on the ferry but they said thats ok you will be fine, so wandered off to grab some lunch in ther local restaurant and mmm nice fish and chips, a little xy at 11 pounds but shit hey it was nice. I must admit it crossed my mind of all the budget travellers out there ive just bashed out a days budget in two meals or in Shin and the other Japenese couples budget probably about a weeks lol Id be home tucked up under a doona watching the olympics on tv at home if I had to haggle over a few bucks all the time, in saying that after I arrived hrre in Huist i went for a ride and now im tucked up on my tent on the wharf waiting for tomorrows ferry.

After i got off the ferry from Leverberg i just rode around for about 3 hours checking out the island and its more of the same surprise surprise so thought ive had enough im just going to chill out and have a little time off. I did try and get a motel in Lockmaddy where the ferry leaves from but 98 pounds fuck that sweetheart, i guess they wack up the price as theres only a few hotels and by the looks of the amount of geriatrics running around here in their cars they'd need a place to sleep and would be happy to pay it but not this little black duck, so fortunatly all the others were booked out so it was down to the wharf for me, just found somewhere out of the wind and set up and relaxed.
Went for a walk before it got dark and got chatting to guy who used to be in the printing industry, he had travelled the world setting up the new age printing gear had been to alot of countries including Australia but had got out of the industry and now was sailing around the Uk, well had starterd to, he had left two years ago but now lives here in Lockmaddy and works on a fish farm, bloody classic where life can take you isnt it.

Anyone would think im doing it tough but shit hey im sitting here in my cosy tent lieing on my self inflating mattress watching the Olympics on the Wharfs free Wifi, friggin classic hey, to funny, tough camping in the wilds of Scotland and all free to. Its actually good to be doing it on the cheap I just booked me and jared a nice self containd flat for Edinbrugh for when we meet there for the soccer and that cost me shitloads so i might try and scumbag it for the next few days to make up for that.

All the locals I have met here have been really nice and friendly well everywhere in Scotland they have been and these locals certainly live in a nice part of the world, maybe they are all just happy its sunny and warmish at the moment and all the other times there just grumpy old fucks whinging about how crappy the weather is ahahahah

Leaving Leverberg for Huist

Was a nice ferry ride

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 04:03 PM
Old 08-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #544
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up reasonably early at about 7:30 and hung around for awhile them mossied on over to the hotel for breakfast, fook me 8 pounds about 12 bucks for coco pops and a bit of scrambled eggs on toast should of just hit the lolli machine at the wharf for a mars bar, oh well met a nice local guy in there he wasnt real happy at how much they were charging and said the sign said 95 and they charged in 98. I had to agree with him whats the deal with these joints one place i stayed at said it was going to cost me one price only to charge me 5 bucks more,i friggin hate that im not sure if thats their rate then they have some bodgie tourist tax wacked on top it but i hate when they do that, it might be only a few bucks but a price is a price especially when you have it on a board.

Anyway had a good chat to him, if you ever want to make the book you will have to email me your name buddy ahahahah book smook this is as famous as you get more than likely oh well you will always be big in Lockmaddy wont you lol

Was on standby for the ferry but fortunalty got on im sure if there had been a few other motorcycles booked on I might not of been so lucky but theres usually room for a few bikes on these things. So Lockmaddy to the Isle of Skye everyone says its nice over here and they werent wrong its so nice, beautiful scenary some of it reminded me of New Zealand so that will give you some idea of what its like if you have been to NZ, very scenic with nice big lochs everywhere. My next ferry im catching to the mainland is on the furthest tip of the island sop have to ride all the way along it so thats what i did.

Stopped all the time to take pictures and to have a break but was enjoying the riding so much. You can cross back over to the mainland via the Skye bridge so when i got down there i rode over it just to say i had then rode back on to the island and continued on south.
Theres so many beaituful little villages on here you could just take your pick if you wanted to stay somewhere, for me though I hadnt got to that stage and just kept on riding.

Eventually got to the ferry they guys told me its leaving in at 5:15 so had an hour or so up my sleeve to keep riding and go check some stuff out around here. Went up tot he famous local castle up the road and its just another derelic building yeah yeah im sure it was nice in its time but bla bla There was a quiet wedding going on up there which was nice it was such a beautiful day now sun was out the lawns and gardens in this place are really actually very nice and if your going to do something as silly as get married i guess this would be a beautiful place to do it.
Hung out walking around there for awhile met the celebrant who married the couple all kilted up in all the traditional get up, i should of got a picture of him but it didnt occur to me a the time.

Got back down to the ferry and met a young guy cycling around the islands, he was from Edinbrugh and had been out here for awhile cruising around but heading back to Malaig to hook up with his bro then back onto Edinbrugh. My bike certainly gets attention which is great it makes it easy to meet people and have a chat which is always nice.

Got off the ferry in Malaig my second ferry for the days thats cool you could do the tourist thing on these islands but im doing the motorcycle thing and just riding the roads and seeing a few things then piss off.

Left malaig and took the coastal road which was a tiny winding road all good but a bit to much to go at any real speed but that was ok was fun all the same. The young guy on the push bike had shown me on the map the most westerly point of the Uk so thought that would be ok ill head there so off I went.

Was happily riding along and had actually done a uturn to ride a section of road again and video it and when i came up over ther hill there was a couple on a motorbike sitting at a table with a beautiful view so thought id stop and say hi. They were a French couple Jean from Paris Mariane froma town about a 100k's away up here riding around like the rest of us. Jean was painting some of the scenary it really id quite nice.

Said my good byes and hit the road again and then about twenty minutes later I came to a sign to a castle and thought oh what the hell ill go check it out so off i went. It was about 5 miles maybe not that far but came across a nice spot where there was actually quite a few people. Got chatting to a nice couple from somewhere in between Glasgow and Edinbrugh, shit ive been really slack lately meeting people and not remembering there names or not even geting them in the first place ill have to make a point of doing that again, I was so good at it and it always helps with memorizing someone you have met even if briefly.

I sat down and they offered me a cup of coffee which was really nice we had a good chat for about an hour but it was getting latish about 8:30 so I thought id push on and see if I could get to the most westerly point before it got dark.
The riding is fun around here its a little narrow to go fanging it but still fun only nearly had one head on so nop big deal i had about 6 inches between me the hilux and a wall so plenty of room ahahahahhas i riode off after that one i just thought fuck that was close but it didnt reallty slow me down that much just made me think and thats a posiitive anyway, me thinking ahahahah

Arrived in this village and thought i had a fair way to go and its starting to get dark so thought id pull in and see about camping well this was someones house and it was only for campervans but one of the guys staying in there came out for a chat and said your actually at the most western point theres a sign down the road stating it and its only about 400 yards away , so i think well i cant sleep here ill go down there and sus it out and see whats down there so off I went. He was living in the south of France and touring around on holidays with his family, some peole have got the life havent they lol

Rode down there now im pretty sure it isnt the most westerly point if your in a camper van maybe but my gps shows a long way to go on this headland to actually be the most westerly point. I thought i better find somewhere to sleep its nearly dark and around 10pm so after having a look around i just went up the hill a bit and saw the local coastal patrol place and it had a flat peice of grass at the back so thats where i am right now happy as larry. Ill go for a ride in the nmorning to find the real westerly point im sure this isnt it even if the sign says so.

Guten nacht

View from the Skye Bridge

The Skye Bridge

And a bridge built yesteryear

The young couple getting married in one of the castles on the Isle of Skye

The view looking over one of the Lochs in Skye

This sign is about 10 miles from the actualy most westerly point why do they do this the same as John Ogroats saying its the northerly point only for Dutton Head 10 miles up the road to actually be, are they just taking the piss or maybe the locals jsut dont want tourists out that way so say the landmark is somewhere else, im guessing thats it.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 05:11 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #545
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Enjoying your report - whats your plan after Scotland? I like your mix of camping and hotels - must save heaps just having the odd night for free. Cheers Rob
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #546
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD View Post
Enjoying your report - whats your plan after Scotland? I like your mix of camping and hotels - must save heaps just having the odd night for free. Cheers Rob
Hey Rob yeah some of the hotels are a joke how much they charge for what they deliver so yeah its been good to camp and save money.
Im here in Edinbrugh till Thursday my son Jared turns up tomorrow and we are going to the Australia v Scotland soccer match then hes off to Greece and im heading to the Brno MotoGp in the Czech Rep which ill have 9 days to get there so might go ride through the swiss alps and the Dolomites again. From the the Gp im going up into Poland Lithuania Lativa, Estonia and up and around the block in Scandinavia, its going to start getting cool then so will be heading south. Thats my rough plan but thats open to change i just watched top gear and they had this amazing road in Romania which looked like it would be an awesome ride.
Thanks for following my blog its been an amazing adventure seeing great things meeting great people and riding some fun roads
Cheers mate
Sheldon
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #547
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Woke up at the crack of dawn and packed up my gear ok it wasnt that early but 7 is early enough for me. Took a little while to pack everything up and then went for a ride over to the most westerly point at the lighhouse, its about 10 miles away on a winding little road with no traffic so a fun ride not going to fast just enjoying the ride. There was no one up at the lighhouse but it certainly was nice up there the only local hanging around was danny a mutt who attacked my bike when i pulled up so just gave him a pat then a kick in the head and walked around with him following me.

Ive decided since im down this end of the island im just going to get a ferry over to Mull then the ferry back to Oban on the mainland again from there. Had a look around headed back to where I was this morning and hit the ferry terminal for the 10 oclock ferry.

I was getting a bit short on cash so asked the dude on the ferry and fortunatly they took a visa card to pay for my ticket otherwise i was heading back to Armadale to use the ticket I already had so all good.

The ferry ride over to Mull was only about 45 minutes which was a nice little trip in itself so just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. Arrived in Mull its a really nice little port town older style builings lining the waterfront, had a real nice feel to it.
Hung around for a little while. Met another group of German guys riding around the islands having some fun so chatted to them for a little while while I had some lunch and then hit the road. Mull isnt that big an island so just road down the coast road got a few tips on what to see so Duet Castle was the next place I was heading it was down near the ferry terminal so thats cool.

The castle is really nice and done back up so was good to see how they used to havelived in the olden days. There was also a lot of history on the family Maclean caln which was really interestign as well. Spent about and hour and half walking aroudn checking it all out itds actualy the first castle that you coudl actually see how it would of been set out in the old days rather than just a pile of ruins which was really good to see.
Went back over ot the ferry I was booked on for the 5 oclock but there was one just
arriving so thought id go over and see if i could get on this one and yep no problems so i was off to Oban on the main land.

Met a nice Scottish girl and her little guy Keryn so had a chat to them he was a funy little bugger im sure hard work for his mum.

Arrived in Oban another nice coastal town but very busy, I really like this part of the world, why I was here I thought id go get some money so went over to a bank to the ATM and shit you wouldnt believe it i had forgotten my pin number bloody useless git.

I tried a few different combinations on both my cards with no luck and as it was Saturday i wasnt game to try and more than the twice each card as if the machine sucked my card in I was stuck here for two days to get them back so just went down the servo got sone petrol and got some food and hit the road towards well at that stage I still wasnt sure I was just riding i had a an apartment booked for Sunday night so Ive got to kill a day somewhere else so it didnt really matter where I ended up.

So rode for a while, the roads were really cool nice motorcycle roads the traffic wasnt to bad as it was getting sort of late on a saturday afternoon by now about 7ish was sort of a little tired had racked up a few k's today and two ferry trips and many chats to all sorts of people so it had been a really enjoyable day so far and as I arrived in Sterling I thought that will do me ill jsut find a B&b around here somewhere, well that was the plan anyway.

This place is chockers checked a number of B& Bs all booked out doesent seem to be much availble asccomadation and when I met another couple and had a chat to them and they said they ahd been looking too and been to 10 hotels and B&bs with no luck I thought fook it im out of Sterling ill head to Edinbrugh its only another 30 or 40 miles away.

Was just heading out of town and saw a Premier Inn so thouught id go check out if there was any rooms available and again no luck shot this is starting to piss me off was almost just about to go find some dirt and put my tent up but the girl got on the phone and rang ahead and there was a room for me in Falkirk Premier so off I went in search of it instead.

As I came out I bumped into a couple of guys on bikes one of them had ridden through South America and offered me to come and stay at his place for the night which was a bummer cause id just booked and payed for my room at the next hotel with my credit card would of save me 70 pounds oh well ill catch up with him in a few days hopefully and have a chat.

Was pretty easy to find the next hotel which was good, the girl on the desk was really nice had a nice chat to her then came up to my room I was pretty rooted by this time and it was getting late about 10.

Was relaxing and fell asleep only to be woken by a fire alarm at about 1:30 am that sux thought about just brushing it and in the end I though nahh i better go down stairs just in case the building is on fire, I didn think its only two stories If there is a fire I can jsut jump out the window its no big deal and i might die oh well I cruised on down and was greeted at the door by some pretty little blonde in her nighty thats got help kill the time ahahahaha gave her my thongs (flip flops) so she was standing on the cold ground, we hung out for awhile then were allowed back up and was pretty awake so have just decided to blog and put myself to sleep.

Was a really good an interesting day with plenty of good riding lots of nice scenary and lots of nice people.

The light house keeper at the most westerly point had a big horn......not that I was looking or anything.

The castle on the Loch at the ferry terminal at Skye

The coastal town in Mull

I got up this mornign and rode over to Edinbrugh was only 30 odd miles so bugger all so was nice to take the full till 12 check out relax on the internet and then head over, you cant usually check into these places till a little later so I wasnt in any hurry.

Arrived and caught up with Billy the manager and as i guessed the the room wasnt ready but thats ok the cleaner they got to clean the flat Vaiva is a sweet little Lithuanian girl with a bad girl badge on ahahah yeah you guessed it my kind of girl lol

Had a good chat to her shes really nice, great sense of humour so we had a good laugh together which is always nice. Finally my room was ready so just chilled out and relaxed watchogn the box and hanging around its nice to jsut have an easy day.

Jared arrives in the morning early so that will be nice to see him.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 04:00 PM
Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #548
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Enjoying Edinbrugh just a little

Had a few days off blogging got sort of side tracked a little as you can see but me and Jared have been doing the tourist thing as well, went over to Sterling together and did the Sterling Castle and the William Wallace monument as well as riding all around Edinbrugh so its been a really nice few days. The views from up at Sterling castle are pretty impressive overlooking the battlefield of Bannockburn I can imagine it must of been an amazing spectable yet again watching the battle unfold from up there.

I had got a tip from Richard the guy I met the other night about a bike shop that was closing down in Edinbrugh so dropped in and bought a spare helmet for Jared for 60 pounds so pretty good value actually, what I do with it after I leave here I dont know I needed it for him if we got pulled up it would of probably cost us that anyway.

We went over ot the local Bmw dealer to see about getting my bike serviced but they had a few week waiting time so that counts me out but Joe there was really nice and helpfull and sat down and gave me some tips on my route back over to the Czech rep for the Brno Motogp, excellent that he took the time out of his busy day to help me it was really nice of him. The Scottish people have all been amazingly friendly other than my parking ticket i got yesterday from some dickhead parking cop.

That was funny I was in the shop buying a new visor for my helmet and walk out and theres a few guys standing around my bike looking at it and when i walked over they said oh you just got a ticket, if you had parked 4 feet further up over this line you would of been ok, I Just said with a laugh pffft as if im going to pay it anyway let them chase me around the world, god knows why he gave me a ticket its a internationally registered bike with stickers from all over Africa and Europe as if im going to pay a 100 buck parking ticket, I guess it is one of them quoter deals within the council but shit, I didnt see the sign and when I parked there yesterday and there were other bikes parked in the same place, anyway let arrest me ill have a few nights free accomadation.

So other than that ive had an amazing time in Scotland anyway the ticket gives me an excuse not to go back ahahahah thats a shame I like Scotland probably the most of all the countries ive been to so far.
Me and Jazza did the Edinbrugh Castle as well and its really good inside great views from up there are spectacular over looking Edinbrugh, there was alot of people around obviously, August is there big tourist season with the Edinbrugh tattoo and the comdey festival on.

I did the Queens residence in Edinbrugh with Vaiva which was really interesting and a really nice afternoon spent with her, I like Vaiva shes really nice its a shame im pissing off so soon but I really have alway wanted to go to the Brno Motogp and if I dont get it this year theres a possibility I might not be around that part of Europe for next year.

Did the the Australia V Scotland soccer match with Jared tonight, what a let down the Austrealian performance was.a bunch of friggin monkeys could of put on a better peformance, was pretty embarrassing, but full marks to the Scottish they totally smashed us all over the park.
I had been out with Vaiva this afternoon and gone back to her place which is apparently 30 minute walk from here but again I got lost and had to ride around Edinbrugh lost but this time in the rain, I sort of know my way around but the centre of town still gets me but its not that big I reckon if you spent a week or so here you would be able to drive anywhere and find it.

We leave in the morning Jareds off to Greece im off south to Peterborough or down that way somewhere ill miss Vaiva beleive it or not shes really nice. Anyway time will tell.

Me and Jared at the football in Edinbrugh

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 10:47 AM
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #549
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Vaiva guarding the Queens residence.

Me ummmm guarding the Queens residence.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #550
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I like Lithuania already

Some Lithuanian girls are bad and some are just plain naughty ahahahah I like Edinbrugh must be the weather

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 10:49 AM
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #551
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up this morning packed up said my goodbyes to Jared and Vaiva and hit the road towards Peterborough. Jared walked into town to get a bus to the airport there was no way we were getting his back pack onto the bike as well as all my gear so that was ok he was a bit grumpy about not getting a lift to the airport but hes a big boy he'll get over it.
I thought i knew where I was going and headed on the ring road i thought the road south went over towards Glasgow then down south but as I got out there I missed another turn off and before I knew it I was 10 miles from Glasgow and definatly nowhere near where I needed to be.

Stopped for petrol and a munch and was out of cash so went to the Atm and theres this old digger fuckassen around on it trying his card, in and out, come on you old fart hurry up im thinking, I asked him if he need a hand he just said no and walked away with no cash silly old gezza, he probably thought i wanted to rob him when in fact all I wanted to do was hit him over the head.

So anyway wack my card in, punch in all the buttons and just before it spits my money out, bang theres a power black out and everything goes down, fooken hell mun there goes my only access to cash both my other cards have been shitting themselves and not working in Atms so im stuffed. I did what any responsible human would do and I booted the shit out of the friggin thing while I shouted obsenities at it.

I ring the number on the machine with the servo's phone and they just fob me off saying your card has been destroyed and to contact your bank back in Australia what load of shit you bastards. I said to the guy let me talk to your supervisor and she comes back with the same story so I say I know it rains alot here in Scotland but I didnt come down in the last shower what is there a leprchaun sitting in the machine cutting up the cards in the box they drop into, I think they got the jist that I wasnt happy but wasn t getting anywhere so just hung up and thought fuck it, ill work something out.

My Commonwealth bank card hasnt worked for ages its totalled im lucky they can still read the numbers on it so they can use it manually and i can use it online, my St george one hasnt worked for awhile either but I tried some sticky tape on it and its working again, shit that was lucky, so I still have one card that allows me to access cash phew, im going to have to something about that soon though or I will get caught out somewhere, yeah maybe tomorrow.

Back on the road I talked to a truckie out in the car park and got the tip on how to head south so that was nice of him so off I went. In the end I arrived in Peterborough at around 6:30 so it was along day the detour I took ended up adding about a 100 miles or a 160k's onto the days ride so that sucked dogs balls, the riding in England sux its boring as hell bla bla bla green field after green field and the roads are just long straight boring peices of shit, gives me plenty of time to think about Vaiva and what id like to do to her, you know the candle light dinner romance and all that shit mmmm romance ahahahahah yeah right ill give her the best 2 minute of her life ill tell ya..... oh come on, a guys allowed to brag isnt he.

Got to Peterborough and booked into the Park inn where I stayed on the way up , I had met a guy Gary in a servo about 150 north of Peterborough and he lived in Peterborough and he and his mates were jamming in a pub in town and invited me down for a beer so thought what the hell ill do that.

I dont know if I mentioned it but Andrev my Russian mate who I met in Zambia had given me a dating website to pick up chicks when I got up this way so I had contacted this nice girl Mila from Peterborough and we had exchanged a few emails so thought id give her a ring and see if she wanted to come out for a drink. Shes from Lithuania I seem to be meetign a few Lithuanian girls, and I like em.

Well she was up for it so met her at 8:30 and yeah shes a good looking sort, tall blonde great bod, things could be worse. We headed off in search of the pub strolling around town its really nice here in Peterborough I liker this place its got a good feel to it. We caught up with Gary at the pub but jsut hung with Mila a d chatted for awhile then went over and caught up with Gary and his girl. Had a nice evening with Mila, she had the kids at home Alexander and i cant remeber her daughters name so she had to do the bolt, offered to knock her up in the car park but she was a little classy for that . To be honest she was really nice and it was all just a nice evening spent with good company.

So im just in my hotel room blogging im out of here in the morning to Dover and then to France ill see what time I arrive whether I go across in the evening or lob for one more night in England.

Pretty good day with a few hiccups with my card and the long detour but met some really nice people and had a nice evening with Mila, so all good fun.

Mila looking good.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 11:58 AM
Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #552
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a nice sleep in this park inn in Peterborough has really comfortable beds so wasnt in any hurry to get out of it, I guess you pay for it but bloody expensive at 150 bucks aussie a night they would want to be comfortable at that price, you think you would get the porn channels thrown but oh well better luck next time lol

Packed the bike up at a nice slow pace the ferry from Dover is only 3 or 4 hours away depending on traffic so all good not a big ride 350 k's or there abouts.

Watch my favourite team the tigers get beaten in golden point on the internet vipbox.tv is a great site if you want to watch your team or whatever sport though live streaming.

The road is all motorway and was ok till I got further south then there was a massive traffic jam for kilometres and kilometres thats one thing about this place theres just so much traffic on the roads if there is any sort of hold up it just banks back for miles, it slowed me up but didnt stop me i just got in the breakdown lane and was still doing about 50 or 60 k an hour im pretty sure ive been told its illegal to do that over here but yeah, as if buddy.

Got down towards Dover and saw the channel tunnel exit and thought why not go another way so took the exit and headed down there to go over by train but unfortunalty when i got to the window the chick said its all booked out and ill have to go down to the ferry, ok thats no big deal i know my way around down in Dover so that will be no issue.
I had tried to book my ticket online earlier but for some reason my cards would go through so I was hoping I wasnt going to get hit with that extra cost like i did last time. To my surprise when I arrived at the port and bought my ticket it was actually cheaper than the internet and only cost me 40 punds for me and the bike which is quite good, well I thought it was anyway.
So got my ticket and headed over to the ferry, been chatting to Vaiva's via txt a fair bit today I miss her shes a fun chick i probably should fo grabbed and brought her with me for a while.

Sitting on the ferry now just blogging im not sure where im going when I get ot France its 6:45 now so wont be arriving till aroudn 9 so might just find somewhere to crash out around Dunkerque, shit im not even sure where this ferry is going I think its Dunkerque it might be Calais ahahahah well France anyway and there only about 20 k's away from each other.
From there ill head south west towards Dijon in France I wonder if they will try and make me have mustard on my food , then ill be heading into Switzerland and across to the Czech republic from there so the first few days of riding maybe a little uneventful although im not sure where are the Pyranees are, there not around here somewhere are they, I have no friggin idea.

Met Marcin on the ferry he was from Poland and had been to the north of Scotland as well and had seen me up there or seen the Aussie plates anwyay. We had a good chat and as hes camping somewhere we decided to hang out together and headed off in search of somewhere to camp the night when we got off the ferry.

We rode around Dunkerque for about 30 minutes without any luck then I stopped and asked some dude and he was happy for us to put our tents up on the grass area of the block of units he was living in I thought well im happy to do that but Marcin wasnt to keen maybe it was cause he asked us if we wanted to buy some drugs that made him feel a little uneasy and it looked like the poor end of town so we headed off.

He had given uis tips on where to find a servo for petrol and something to eat and as it was gettign late id had enough so when we arrived in the servo I thought thats it my tent is going up here I dont care what anyone says so all cool staying in a carpark of a BP servo for the night free accomadation yet again, cool.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #553
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Marcin packing up his yamaha Tenere 660 in the morning, he has 880 k's to get to Berlin to see his mum who lives there and im going to Lusanne which is 770 k's so we both had full days riding ahead of us.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #554
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We were up early so said our goodbyes and were on the road by i think it was like 7:30 am or there abouts early anyway. I just hit the motorway and racked the k's I was goign to head somewhere I didnt trhink id make the whole 670 k's to Lusanne so was just riding and seeing how i went.

As I was crusing along I stopped aroufn 11:30 the standard fallign a sleep job on the motorways so pulled over for a drink and jumped under a tree lay down and had a bat nap.

Woke up to the sound of a group of motorbikes which ended up being a group of Welsh guys and a gal heading to the Dolomites for a ride. I had caught them up by one of the toll booths and had a brief chat to them then sort of jumped in convoy behind them.

The tracks for Africa world map is a real pain in the ass, its nowhere near the road so its forever saying drive to highlighted route, ill give you highlighted route you fucken thing shut the hell up.

Anyway they were turning off but my gps was telling me to go straight on, it did cross my mind to jsut follow them but nah ill do the right thing by my gps and carry on and wouldnt you know it as soon as I get past the turn off it says I should of gone left drive 6.3 kilometres and do a uturn your friggin kidding me im on a motrway you dickhead you cant turn around on these things for miles and miles and miles, ill give you uturn, so this was the second time it had taken me off my route today only to say do a uturn and go to highlighted route. The first one cost me about 20 k's.

10 minutes up the road and about a thousand fuck you's later its saying take the next exit onto the 77 oh ok great thats not to bad like only about a 15 k detour. At the moment the Gps and tracks for Africa world map is the only thing that is pissing me off and leadign me astray, look I dont mind iof it was takign me somewhere good but when im jsut on the motorway for fucks sake get it right im seriously thinking of just buying the euro maps for my garmin and not being such a tight ass, suppose I could just buy a paper map for 5 bucks and read it now and then ahahahahah yeah right fuck that lol
Ended up catching up to the welsh guys again so was makign good time being by myself im overtaking a little more than they would plus having a death wish I have no problem with a truck or car flying towards me at 110 kilometres an hour bring on the big trucks you pop guns.

We stopped for petrol and a drink they are heading sort of my direction but off into the hills soon so thats cool ill follow them for awhile on some of the more remote rides in this area. One of the boys had done alot of prep on their route so he knew exactly where he was going so made for a nice ride through the hills for a few hours.

After a few hours of riding through the hills we pulled over in a nice little village for a drink and I sort of had decided i might just follow them to the village where they were staying tonight but when I checked on my gps it was back north and I wanted to go south so I changed my mind in about 30 seconds that I might just head on my way. I thought id get to Lusanne tonight but it weas still 230 k's now that I had taken this detour into the hills and away from my more southerly route.

Headed back to the highways and was makign some good time I was gettign pretty rooted by this time and it was getting late but the sight of the alps in the distance was enough to spur me on to the end and Lusanne.
I arrived on the out skirts of Lusanne and pulled into the servo for petrol and a drink and while I was in there a local guy Andre came over for a chat and asked me if i would like to come back to his place for dinner, so 10 miutes after arriving im following him back to his house down the road.

Ends up Andre had ben racing his KTM earlier in the day and had ridden all his life and at one time raced for Yamaha in the European Enduro Championships so we had a good chat. None of the rest of his family could speak much English so it was a bit difficult but they were all very nice. His wife Marteen and her beautiful daughter Clair and there other daughter whose name I cant remember and her boyfriend and Marteens mother all made me feel very welcome in their house so it was a really nice welcome to Lusanne. Marteen crashed out and me and Andre sat up for awhile and had a chat and then crashed I was pretty stuffed, well I was totally exhausted actually.

They invited me to stay the night so what a bonus and really nice of them to crash in there spare room so here I was in Lusanne and staying in a comfy bed a nice bbq dinner all really good.

I had ended up riding 880 odd k's today so a massive day of riding with lots of motorways lots of hills and small villages lots of nice people, this riding a motorbike solo around the world is sooooo much fun. I guess one question is dont you get lonely but when your alone you just get approached by everyone for a chat, its the beauty of being solo if your in a group people just walk on by in most cases but here I am in Andres house with his family had a beautiful dinner and good company, its just fantastic.

I came to Lusanne to see a friend Radka who had come to Australia 6 years ago with her kids to teach them English and ended staying at my place for the whole 6 months she was in Oz, we got on so well back then im really looking forward to seeing her again, but just checked my email and im in the wrong town, shit shes near Luzern now bugger im 230 k's away in the wrong town, oh well its beautiful here and ive met a really nice family so all good.

Just another amazing day.

Lake Lusanne

Old 08-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #555
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Slept in a little I was sooooo tired but when I got up Andre was in his workshop working on his bikes and when i walked down he offered to help me change my rear brake pads that I had got the other day in Edinbrugh so here I was in Andres workshop holding a light while he fixed my bike for me, I tell you it was so much appreciated I was pretty knackered I was going to do it when I got to the Brno MotoGp in the Czech Rep as I had planned to be there for a few days.

We got the bike done it didnt take to long then we got organised to go for a ride, Andre was gogng to lead me on some of the rides around Lake Lusanne then point me in the right direction and come back home and pick up Marteen and go for a ride with her. So said my goodbyes to Marteen we couldnt understand a word of what each other was saying but the feelings were all good.

Andre took me through along the lake its so beautiful along the waterfront and then up into the hills onto some great riding roads and not much traffic so we were getting up to some good speeds so no wonder he just came with me and was going back to get Marteen later, it was so much fun flying around, again its a real trade off of being a tourist and a motorcyclcist but today i was a motorcyclists first and a touring photographer second, we stopped a few times for pics and once up on a nice pass for a drink but the riding was just so good, the views in this part of the world are simply breathtaking.

We eventually got to a spot where Andre said goodbye and pointed me in the right direction, what a great ride thanks alot Andre and Marteen if you stop by my blog, thank's for your welcome and all your help in Lusanne was so much appreciated and hopefully ill be able to get back to your beautiful part of the world again sometime soon.
So where we split was a motorcycle gathering and a minute after Andre had ridden off I was approached by another guy saying hello and having a chat, he coudl speak good English and translated for the group that had come over to have a look at the bike.

I didnt hang arodun long I wanted to get on the road I still had a few hour ride to Luzern through the hills and the rides arodun here tend to take a little longer than the google maps say cause you always get sidetracked into another pass or stop to look at the views.

Was riding about 10 minutes and thought I had gone past the turn off so did a uturn and went back up theres nothing that has been shittign kore lately than takign the wrong turns and I know arodun here if I dont take the one Andre told me to I coudl end up heading to another country and miles from where I want to be.

Asked a guy on a push bike and he pointed me in the right direction so off I wentcame up on a girl riding a Kawasaki so stopped for a chat with her at one of the stops and she was headign in my diorection towards Luzern but doing some other passes so I asked if it was ok if I just followed her and she was ok with that so off we went.

Sbhe had jsut got back fr4om a 10 day ride down in Italy by herself so we have a another potential solo world traveller in the making.

The traffic was pretty bad as it was Sunday I probably would of been a bit faster if I was riding by myself as i woudl of just blown past some of the cars a buit quicker but it was nice to casually ride with out having to think where I was going knowing I was heading in the right direction.

In the end she stopped at a Lake for a swim and i was in front of her at the time and thought about turning around to go back and see her and say thank you but I was actually pretty tired it was now 4 pm so id been riding a good 5 or 6 hours again today and still had 50 k's to go to Luzern so just kept on going.

Stopped and took a few photos and the traffic coming into Luzern was bumper to bumper so that last 50k's took awhile. Its funny I dont think there used to someone not giving a tats ass about the road rules and jsut crusing up the breakdown lane wtf who gives a shit why the hell would I sit in a traffic jam on a motorbike when there 15 feet of good tar to ride on, I saw on group in a van waving at me no no no and pointing at the breakdown lane yeah right mate sure yeah whatever ahahaha ill be in Maccas having a burger and you will be still a k down the road bitchin about the traffic.

Speakign of Maccas friggin hell I wont be eating much of it here, its mega bucks I just grabbed a milkshake and it cost me 4.90 swiss floran, fuck me, its not even what any other place in the world would call large its like a medium its a friggin disgrace Ive got a good mind to send the head honchos an email ahahahaha not to mention a big mac meal being 12.90 like about 5 bucks more than in every other country and thats alot, everywhere in the world has been pretty comarible with prices no matter what the currency they used but not this joint.

Anwyay while I was there i got talking to a couple of young guys and Fintan gave me a tip on the Ibis hotel which is usually fairly resonably priced chain so off I went in search of a room for the night.

To easy I get down there they have a room available for a few days ill be abkle to catch up wuith Radka Fintan has given me some tips on some good rides to do so ive got a few good days ahead of me. Im looking forward to catching up with Radka knowing shes only 5 minutes away now is pretty nice feeling and from her emails she sent me in the last few days shes feeling the exact same way which is pretty strange after we havent seen each other for 5 and a half years but we did get on realy well theres no doubt about it.

Andre working on my bike changing the brake pads for me

My baby with her ass hanging out

A few of Andre's toys