User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #61
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,149
Jeffreys Bay

Got up and started packing to leave the Surf Inn for the Savoy, organsied to meet Devan whose in Jbay surfing from Cape Town and has been at the Surf Inn for a few weeks. Packed most of my stuff into the garage so that made it easier just filled my Venture gag with gear for a few days and took off into town. Got into my room mid morning and just went in and relaxed, got online and had a chat with a few friends which is always nice to catch up with people from home. Headed out about 4pm to go watch the footy, Devan was out the front as I walked out of the Savoy Hotel so that made things easy and we headed over to the Jolly Dolphin across the road and sat down to watch the game.

Had a few beers obviously, I was the only Aussie in the joint again, it wasnt real busy but there was enough of them in there cheering for the Springboks and every little thing they did right and the aussie did wrong. I was staying pretty calm as didnt wont to start any trouble ha ha ha ok I was blowing up, the refereeing was all one way traffic, penalty after penalty after penalty to the springboks to the cheers of the home crowd.

The Aussies started to get on top in the second half and then scored and then a penatly to lead by 4 points, the South Africans needed to score a try in the last few minutes to win, it was getting down to the last few second's, the South Africans attacking the Aussies line and then they knocked the ball on handing possession to the Australians, I jumped to my feet and yelled oh yeah of course I was the only one cheering at their misfortune, standing there I was expecting a bottle of beer in the back of the head but they were all to busy crying so that was all good, they simply love their rugby here, in Australia it is a pretty big sport but down the pecking order of most popular probably at number 3 or 4 now behind Rugby League, Australian Rules and Soccer.

Devan nicked off after the game so I headed out to find somewhere where the was some younger crew to have a drink with as this place was full of retirees sipping on their beers. Came across a group of guys hanging outside one of the restaraunts from team KTM that had been in here for an motorcycle enduro up the coast a bit. Had a bit of a chat with them and cruised on. This town is pretty dead so there wasn't going to be any action tonight so I just got some fish and chip's and headed back to my room to relax.

Came out a bit later for a cigarette and had a chat with the guy doing the security out the front of the Savoy. The club across the road had a few people in it by now and music blaring but decided to give it a miss and just hung out and had a chat with him for about and hour, it's interesting to talk to the local black people they really have a lot of tribal issues still the Zulu and the Mbango people, after getting a good insight into the cultural differences and the problems it causes it was time for bed. So all in all a pretty relaxing day not much going on in Jeffreys Bay but im loving how cheap it is its only costing me 250 here right in town in the Savoy

One thing I did think why I was at the Savoy was I certainly wouldnt want there to be a fire, there is bars on all the windows the back door to get out is jammed shut and doesn't open so if there was a fire in here it would be interesting to see how you got out, its actually the first time ive actually thought I was sleeping in a death trap, im sure ill come across better ones than this in my travels though.

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 08:03 AM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #62
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Jeffreys Bay

Did absolutely nothing today the weather is shit so just chilling watching South African crap TV, its no wonder theres so much violence in South Africa if I had to watch this shit all the time i'd want to kill someone too. I went for a bit of a walk in the afternoon in between rain showers to get some grub for dinner and then just went back to my room it really is a shitty cold day. While I was out I had a chat with Paul who was working or owns the seafood restaraunt across the road from the Savoy seemed like a really nice guy.

Look at the sea life in this picture I took, whales in the background surfers in the waves and there is something in the face of the wave between the surfer's I've blown this picture up and still cant work out what it is, it's definitely not human that I can guarantee you, your guess is as good as mine but with plenty of known big buddy sharks in the area it wouldn't surprise me in the least that's exactly what it is.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 10:12 PM
Old 08-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #63
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Jeffreys Bay to Knysna

Got up pretty early and was moving back to the Surf in lodge back at Supertubes so packed up my gear and headed out to the bike, paid the bill then walked out the front and got chatting to the old dude who helps park the cars, Paul came over and we chatted for awhile then he headed back the shop and left me still talking to Stan. I asked if he would let me buy him and his lady friend some lunch, of course they were only to happy to receive some food, so I went over to Paul and ordered Stan and the other lady working there fish and chips. Stan said to me it will be the first time in a very long time he has had fish and chips, they make pretty much nothing parking the cars and live off the tips, it was only a few bucks for both meals so slipped Stan the change which wasn't much but ill all helps, they certainly weren't living the high life let me tell you.

Headed off the 5 k's back up the coast. It was a really nice day and thought to myself, it might be nice to go for a ride, so I decided instead of that short ride I would piss off and leave Jeffreys bay, so got back to the gear and started packing the bike up. Took about and hour to get everything organised unpacked from what I had taken into town and repacked and kitted up with all my gear. I went for a last quick ride down to the Point to have one last look and then headed off. As I rode past the Surf Inn Dave was there and Devan had just pulled up so I stopped to say thank you and cya, they were expecting me to come back to stay. Its nice to be able to just go im out of here and leave whenever I feel like it, I'm really enjoying that sense of freedom. Everyone has been telling me how beautiful Knysna is so it will be interesting to spend some time there.

Left Jeffreys about 10:30 and hit the highway. The Garden Route highway is great really good road, pretty straight, nice yellow and purple flowers all along the side of the road with the mountain range on the right makes for a pretty enjoyable ride. Pretty much just sat on 120 to 140 all the way. Stopped off at Storm River, a service station right on the Storm Gorge pretty spectacular. Had lunch there and met another nice person from Durban, Francois, I must admit I miss the people I met in Durban and Durban itself, I wonder if my travels will take me back there one day, I guess time will tell.

Arrived in Knysna around 3pm and went down to the waterfront to have a look, looks very nice from first impressions. Put in a B&B into the Gps and went and had a look but didnt stop in to ask it was right on the highway and look like a bit of a shithole so put the next one in and went and knocked on the door, same as usual third time lucky, the guy there was booked out and sent me down the road to one of the other ones and im glad he did. Walked in and got a really nice greeting from all the crew and other people staying there. Got shown to my flat out the back in the garden its really nice. One of the girls staying here invited me to come up to the pub where she is working, so after realaxing for awhile then going inside the main house to have a few drinks with all the crew in the lounge room I headed up to the pub. While I was in there Alexa rang and had a chat with her Channing and Helen, was really nice to talk to them all. Jacques, Kelly's boyfriend was up there so got chatting to him. Was a good night couple of Finnish guys, then a couple of other South African blokes from a rally crew dropped in but pretty quiet basically.

The rally crew challenged me and Jacques to a game of pool and I said, you know how this is going to end, you will be leading and ill clean up in the end and the Aussies will beat you South Africans again and as funny as it sounds, that was exactly what happened. We played the first game, they touched us up, then the second game we won, then on the deciding game they we were leading and we came back and I sunk the black to win talk about Aussie South African sport, theres nothing surer than a late Aussie victory ha ha. We love beating the South African's in close finishes in sport, it has happened so many times over the years, they must hate it.

Ended up pretty blind got to love the price of booze over here just so cheap. Had one bloke walk in at one stage, he was pretty upset, so I asked what was up and it turned out that one of his older neighbours had just been mudered in a home invasion and the guys wife shot and badly wounded, thats got to make you feel comfortable on your first night in a town, it seems to be just one of those things in South Africa, seems like its all luck of the draw if you get done or not as far as i can see. Oh well shit happens, im on the piss if they invade me tonight they will have to wake me to kill me.

Jaques and me in Knysna cool couple and really friendly

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 10:16 PM
Old 08-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #64
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Woke up around 9:30 and hung in bed for awhile as you can imagine we ended up pretty smashed last night, had coco pops for breakfeast and was jsut hanging around and Gerbis I hope I spelt that right came over and offered me a bacon and egg breakfeast which was really nice but i had just stuffed my face full with three bowls of coco pops, he did say he had made it for someone that hadn't eaten it, I hope that was the case I said mate i couldnt possibly eat it im full as and he took it away. I felt really bad knocking it back he really seems like a really nice person and I actually felt rude saying no to it.

Got on the bike about 11:30am and as I was leaving had a chat to Alf one of they guys here he asked me where I was going and I just said I dont know just riding, he just responded with, just love your attitude. Rode back north and over to the heads, looks like the rich end of town some amazing houses up on the hill, walked down to one of the viewpoints and came across a few local guys Elijah and Issac so sat down and talked about the history and the different places around Knysna, their families and other small talk. They were up there making the wire art work same as I had bought Alexa back in Durban its so cool. Issac was a funny dude lots of tricks showed him a few of mine had a few laughs was really nice of them. As I was standing there the Gps in my pocket turned on and started playing music so pulled it out to turn it off, Issac said he liked the song so I showed him some more of the music then handed it to him for him to play around with it. He was quite surprised when I did and said that no one would give them something like that and that the white people around here would never hand anything like that over, he handed it back and said thanks for showing him it. They were nice guys just eeking out a living so I bought a few little things off them said my goodbyes and headed off.

Got back on the bike and headed down to the island in Knysna and just cruised around checking it all out and just I was leaving and there was a little black kid getting some help fixing his chain of his push bike. I stopped and asked if they needed some tools and yeah so got off and helped as the guy fixing it seemed to be struggling with it, a few minutes later the chains back on and I left them to put the chain guard back on and of I went. as I was helping the little kid a guy and his wife had walked over and were checking the bike out, I walked over to say hi, turns out Tiga had an Honda XR 650 and invited me to go for a ride up into the hills with him, which I probably will on Thursday.

Got back home a little kid was walking down the road with his dad and I threw him a wave, I called out to see if he wanted to come over and sit on the bike, his dad grabbed him and they came over and I chucked the little guy on and showed him how to start it and stop it and he was really stoked did it about 20 times he was having so much fun. Put the bike away and went for a walk up to the bank to send some money to Alexa for part of a sponsership charity fundraiser Channing had done through his school then over to the supermarket to grab some food, then just headed home to chill. The weather has been really nice here in the last few days, hopefully that will continue, its funny cause its been snowing in Kempton Park where I was in Johannasburg and freezing in Durban too but simply great here in Knysna.

The main entrance for the sea into Knysna

Some nice houses up on the cliff face around here

Looking back to Knysna

Elijah and Issac eeking out a living as so many do around here, they were surprised when I gave them my Gps to go through the music, Elijah said to that hasn't happened before, obviously they dont get trusted as much as they should around these parts.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 10:28 PM
Old 08-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #65
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a really nice day riding back north to Plettenberg the to Robbberg Nature Reserve it really is a nice place of the earth I must say volcanic rock coast line very much like the north coast of new south wales at home other than its brown . Plettenburg is amazingly like Nambucca heads but facing north a very nice town somewhere I could definatly recommend to go visit. If that was nice then the short ride of the Robenberg Nature Reserve is stunning, I only walked a k or two through the nature reserve and would of loved to have gone further but if your ever going there take supplies, the beaches down there are brilliant and would be awesome to spend the day, you could hang in rock pools, shallow beaches very very nice indeed.

From there headed down the dirt back roads to where I was told to go next Kroenscruik, ill check the spelling on that obviously wasn't in the spot where I was meant to be as I ended up in this little squat town with all the run down houses everywhere not the beautiful scenic spot I was supposed to be, school had just ended so there was lots of kids all over the place so stopped and had a chat with a few of them. as much as I could anyway.

Came to an intersection, I was wondering which one to take there was one way that looked like it took me right into the middle of the shanty town, the other was back past the school so I took the shanty town route all the kids were waving and smiling so felt ok Im pretty sure they don't get to many Bmw's out here. Headed back out of the town and back onto the dirt road south and eventually came out onto the highway again, then found the servo I was supposed to turn at and headed the 10 or so k's back inland to the coast to find another beautiful spot. Road all the way in past the car park, being on the bike certainly has its advantages, headed over a headland then another all the while heading back down the coast towards Knysna.

The track was getting a little tough but nothing I couldnt handle, I went down one section I became aware that I still had to get back up it and it was quite steep. Eventually made it though and jumped off got off and grabbed a few pictures of the coast then hopped back on and road back to the main car park. At one point on the ride back I actually had the front wheel go out from under the bike and was as close to being on its side as ive been, a close shave in the absolute middle of nowhere, in reality though nothing to serious. Stopped again and went for a walk down the trail another very scenic spot just brilliant love it around here it's very pretty.

The last spot I was told to go have a look at was Nuitzi so turned off the highway and headed the 5 or 6 k's down to the coast. The girls that were staying here had walked it yesterday and were whinging about how steep and how many steps there were so I wasn't looking forward to the walk to see the castle on the beach, when I got there I slipped the guy at the gate a few bucks and he let me ride my motorbike down to the beach so all I had to do is walk along a bit to go to look at the castle, to easy.

Had a walk around then headed back, the guy at the gate wanted a lift to the highway so he jumnped on the back of the bike and we took off. Dropped him off at the corner of the highway and near the squat camp and stopped and had a chat to a few young blokes on little step through scooters type bikes you know the ones, the bikes men like to ride when they want to feel the wind on their vagina, they were funny guys we had a good laugh. Later while relaxing back in Knysna proper later tonight there was a big protest going on up where I was talking to the boys we could see it from where we were in town all the cops and the buring of stuff going on, there's been protests about wanting more wages over here in the last few days apparently, I'm sure they are asking for a rise from a pittance to a little more than a pittance.
Got back to where im staying in Knysna and hung around for awhile, one of Kubis's mates was here with his son Shaun who was on a ninja 600, obviously he was interested in the journey being a motorcyclist, had a chat for awhile then Kubis, Shaun and his old man were heading for dinner down the marina and they asked if I wanted to join them.

I asked Kelly if she wanted to come down my shout so she left a note for Jacques to meet us down there and we all headed off for dinner and a few drinks. Kelly bumped into Jacques coming back from fishing so he just went and dropped his gear home up the road and came back and joined us. They seem like really nice people struggling away trying to find work in Knysna which isn't easy as its winter and not in the full on season for this place. Kellys got a few shifts in the Pub and Grub Hotel but its a bit of a shithole and she only gets irregular shifts. We all pigged out Kelly had a bottle of red and some other cocktail and me and Jaques had a few drinks too and then we all had a nice big meal and it only came to about 65 bucks with a 10 buck tip, got to love the price of stuff over here.

Left the restaraunt at 9:30 would of liked to stay and have a few but going for the ride tomorrow with Tiga who I met the other day, meeting up with hm in the morning so dont want to be hung over for that, Im actually sore as shit right now from my ride today so might have to bump a few painkillers into me tomorrow. We are going to head west into the hills somewhere, should be a fun ride where ever he takes us too, im looking forward to it, the mountain range to the west loooks awesome from here.

Got a txt message from Radka my Swiss Czech friend who lived with me in Australia a few years back tonight just to top off a great day, always love hearing from her over in Switzerland, its been 4 years since I saw here and its like just yesterday, im glad we are still in contact she helped me through alot after the accident when everyone was asleep she was there to txt and talk to on the other side of the world, i'll never forget the part she played in my recovery. Love you always Radka. Anyway over and out for another fantastic day.

The beach at the back of Plettenberg im sure theres good waves aroudn here though not long after this a guy was taken by a white pointer at the point mmmm munch munch

Robberg Nature Reserve it really is beautiful here.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 09:32 AM
Old 08-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #66
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had another great day again today its really nice around this part of the world.

Had breakfeast and crusied around for a little while then unpacked the panniers off the bike for the ride into the hills with Tiga today. Left here just beofre 10 and got to Tigas over on the island, his bike was out the front ready to go. We had a cup of coffee relaxing and chatting and then kitted up and hit the road, We headed back up the highway and then west up the top of the hill oppposite the Nuitzi turn off i took yesterday.

We rode about 60 k's through the hills some great riding then came to this really nice valley and a litle cafe so stopped there for a coffee and a break. Had a good chat for alittle while, met a nice couple that had toured around Australia in the past so had a nice breif conversation with them then jumped back on the bikes to head back to Knysna. Let Tiga ride the Beemer so I could have a go on the XR, its really noticable the difference in size and weight, I actually enjoyed it and was able to throw it around alot more than the big BMW.

We took a slightly different route back in to Knysna and came in from the south end of town and on the way through dropped down to the marina for a beer. The ride took us a good couple of hours about 120 k's reuturn or there abouts all on dirt other than the few hundred metres at the beginning and end so alot of fun. Tiga's band is playing over on the island tomorrow night might head over and check it out, its Jaques birthday so ill see what they are up to before I decide, Me Tga and his wife Paula are going to go for a ride on Sunday if im still here over to the north side of Plettenberg to some nice restaraunt so that will be cool and gives me a reason to hang around for a few more days.

All in all a really good day, now just relaxing and watching tv pretty tired actually anyway tomorrow is another day the weather is supposed to be closing in with rain predicted that will be nice good excuse to do nothing but lounge around, ciao

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 09:36 AM
Old 08-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #67
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Just relaxing around the joint this morning have been coughing my lungs up the last few days not sure if it what Alexa and Helen had but riding through the snow in the Sani Pass last week wouldnt of helped and its been bugging me since about then. Went up to the Doctors as I had to see about malaria stuff at some point so thought it might be a good idea to get something for this cough at the same time. Shawn and his girl Tracey were really nice and helpful and got it all sorted.

Tracey had actually ridden her motorbike around parts of Australia so had a nice chat to her about that, she has a yacht in Cape Town in False Bay and has invited me to stay on it when I get down there so that will be nice if it happens. Shawn gave me some antibiotics for my cough and a sample of the malaria tabs ill be on to make sure I dont have any side effects from them and I ill go back on Monday to sort the rest of it out.

As it was Jacques birthday I gave Kelly a few bucks to get some snacks and grog to warm up before we headed out to go see Tig who I had gone for a ride with yesterday play guitar at a little club about 10 minutes away. While we were walking over to the island a either a pissed driver or a total dooshbag came up the footpath and nearly took us out no wonder theres nearly 14000 people killed on the roads over here a year they must get their lisences in the breakfeast cereal packets, there certainly are some crap drivers, they complain about their roads all the time here but from an outsiders point of view its certainly not their roads that are the problem, their roads are great, its just a cop out to blame them, there are just some shit drivers on the roads.

We got over to the island where Tig was playing but ended up in the wrong club so quicly bashed down a few drinks and a shot then hit the road to the other club Quay 4 where Tig was playing, it was really quite but that is never a problem when you are with good company. Tig's a really good guitarists and his mate who he was playing with were both excellent. We hung around there till about 9:30 then Tig drove us back into town and rang Paula and she met us in this local dive of a club. We drank, we drank and we drank some more till when ever, in the end it was a great night with lots of laughs. We came back here for a little while then Paula and Tig nicked off home, all in all a really nice fun day and night. I'm going for a ride with Tig and Paula on Sunday so that wll be nice, looking forward to it, then after that i'll have to start thinking about making my way down to Cape Town im not actually sure how long i've been here but i have a 3 month visa and must be getting close to 2 months soon and ive still got a fair bit of South Africa to get through as yet.

Everyone keeps telling how much i'll like Cape Town so I dont want to read to much into it as it might not be my cup of tea, time will tell. The chick to guy ratio sounds good though, ive been told its anything from 5 to 1 girls to 14 to 1 and apparently there are some really gorgeous women there too, the way I carry on when im on the piss I need those odds as well.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 09:52 AM
Old 08-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #68
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Did absolutely nothing today which was nice just hung around recovering so all good tomorrow going for the ride back to the other side of Plettenberg with Tig Paula to a nice restaraunt so looking forward to that.

Here is Tig with the owner of the restaurant we ride too on the Sunday, what a nice place for a lunch break.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 09:53 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #69
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Knysna to Plettenberg with Tig and Paula

Got up early this morning to listen to the my team the Tigers playing Parramatta on the internet, was on early so when the Tiges got ahead I headed back to sleep for awhile as i was going on the ride up to Plettenberg later.
Later on I met up with Tig and Paula as organized today and we headed back up the coast then inland a bit and came out the other side of Plettenberg to a friend of theirs restaraunt Enriques. The spot they have it in is really beautiful, Tig plays a few gigs there in summer and I'm sure its a great afternoon, we had calamari and chips which was pretty nice then hung around met Tig's sister who came to join us. We sat and relaxed in the sun for awhile then headed back down into Plettenberg for a quick look at the surf, apparently some guy got bitten in half here surfing the other week by the regulation big great whites that patrol the beaches here. Was good fun to ride today, I had anothe ride on Tig's XR 650, getting on something so much lighter Im sure it would be fun to have it off road and get used to it, in saying that its bloody nice to get back on the beemer and relaise just how comfortable it is on the highway when cruising. Got home about 4ish and hung around at Tig's and Paula's place on Theson Island, its a pretty nice litle area over there.

Headed back into Knysna and chilled and had a nice quiet evening im starting to think I might move on in the next few days been here for a week now and enjoyed every minute of it, certainly is a beautiful part of the world.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:01 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #70
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Pretty quiet morning to start the day but got up eventually and went back down to see Shawn the local quack to sort out the rest of the malria stuff. Talked to Tracey she had come down with a flu which seems has been knocking everyone around standard stuff at this time of year at home as well. Walked around after seeing them and went up the shops and got a few things and grab some cash to pay my bill here at the b&b. Payed Alf what I owed then jumped on my bike and headed over to the otherside of Knysna as it was the only place I hadnt ridden yet, went up over the hill looking back at Knysna but thought I cruise on a few more k's and have a look whats over the next hill and wow im glad I did.

Got the shock of my life to see 15 foot plus swell bashing into a beautiful looking coastline. Worked my way down to the beach and was sitting on my bike and this little ratbag dog comes up and starts nipping at my legs, well being the kind compassionate dog lover I am I just shouted to the owner if this f^&king thing bites me again ill kick its f&8king head in, of course I said it with a smile on my face but he rushed over and grabbed it just in case, Got talking to him and told him im riding through Africa and that im pretty sure it want be a fluffy maltese that gets me but you never know it was pretty scary.

Hung down there for awhile at Castle Rock and then started back into Knysna and went down the waterfront restaraunt where we were the other night and grabbed chicken snitzel for dinner, pretty bloody nice actually. Headed home after my munch to relax, think im going to leave in the morning but there is some shitty weather coming apparently, if its raining tomorrow ill leave it a day.

Me and Tig filling up for our ride.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:06 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #71
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Knysna

Got up this morning greeted by cloudy skies and thought stuff it im staying in bed ahhh thats the life. Eventually ventured into the world well not far outside for a durrie ie a cigarette and then came back in and watched a movie, cant even tell you what it was just some Indian chick with a nice rack. the weathers good to SFA (sweet F^&k all) today so ill just pack my gear up ready to leave in the morning. Pulled my helmet apart, the sound in the Gps has been playing up so just want to redo that inside and see that its all sealed properly.

Talked to Jared my son on Skype and organized that we will meet up in Ethiopia in March next year, so basically I have 6 months to kill between here and Ethiopia, will give me time to get everywhere I want heading up that way. Jared and his mate will fly over with the soccer gear we raised while I was recovering for the kids in some schools in Ethiopia, then he will head off to Europe after we've been up to the school to donate it and ill ride on myself. Will be great to share that experience with him.

Just had a walk down the shops to get some dinner and now its pissing down again, oh well tomorrow im leaving rain hail or shine. Relaxing doing my blogging then will start fininshing off my packing so its an easy load up in the morning to get out of here.

I think ive decide to ride to Cape Argarlis or whatever it is, I havent even looked at it in the map I just know its >>>> that way, its the most southerly point in Africa and about 4 hours away but that plan could change im heading south west well maybe even just west from here now. Cant wait to get to Cape Town cause once I leave there and heading north i'll feel like im moving towards my first goal of getting to Europe.
Ive been in South Africa for about 2 months now or just over not even sure when I left Australia buts its been fantastic so far.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:11 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #72
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Knysna to Cape L'agulhas Southern mostpoint in Africa

Most days ive been starting with what a great day so for something different I thought id start with what an absolute crap day today was, how else could you describe riding down the Garden Route through all the amazing scenary and places like George, Mossell Bay and down to Cape L'agulhas the southern most point in Africa, oh well its a tough life but someone has to do it, it's just a beautiful part of the world. The things you put yourself through I dont know if I can take much more of it, seriously though what a ride, just simply loved being on the bike today was absolutely fantastic the scenary was magic with the mountain range on the right of me and the coastal farmland and ocean on the left the road was simply just an amazing day to be riding a motorbike. As much as ive enjoyed being in Knysna and relaxing a bit I just love it when I hit the highway for a ride and today has to be one of the special days, this Garden Route certainly is an amazing part of the world. I left Knysna around 11 after saying my goodbyes to Kelly, Jacques and Alf.

Jacques has a pretty inspiring story of turning his life around from crime, drugs being stabbed basically heading into a world of oblivion, its not always trucks or accidents that give us hurdles we need to jump in the world, it was great to hear his story and thanks for sharing it with me Jacques, its all credit to you for you to be where you are and who you are today, stay strong mate and never give up the fight.

The day started pretty cruisey, slowly packed the bike up having a chat to the crew, as I packed everyone came over for a the regulation chat it went like this, pack, chat, ciggie, pack, ciggie, chat, and so it went on. Alf was an interesting man a physicist and had been invited to that big thing they built in Switzerland I dont even know what was called, the black hole machine or what ever it was, it's always amazing the people you meet everywhere they all have great stories.

He was a lecturer at universities so im guessing he must of been one of the knobs high up in the knob world to get an invite to that. Reminds me of the movie you know the one when Tom Cruise is tuning the chick and she says "you had me at hello" well im pretty sure I could of said to Alf "you LOST me at hello", ill just have a ciggie with ya mate and listen, though i only talked to him briefly at times in my stay he was a very interesting and a very nice man. He had put kids through schools and obvioulsy had some succesful business venture that took him all around the world at times over the years. As I was packing Jacque's came over with the good news that he had picked up a job on one of the local yachts, that's all good for him and Kelly which hopefully will be ongoing for him, well it's a start anyway.

Hit the road after saying my goodbyes to everyone and rode the 100 or so metres up to see Paula working at the local vet. I would of like to go back over to see Tig but by the time I rode over there and have another chat it could add on another hour so I just flicked him, thanks for the welcome into Knysna Tig was brilliant mate and the rides up through the hills and to Enrico's at Plett were awesome. Say hi to your sister.

Stopped for petrol so I guess by the time I actually got out of Knysna it was after 11 and as I wasnt travelling to far today well about 350 k's, it wasnt any big deal. Hit the highway to George is really nice riding, although the speed limits are a little slow, got clicked by one speed camera doing slightly faster than the legal limit, slightly faster yeah right I only just saw the flash as a blur as I roared past it, but hopefully I'll be out of the country by the time that arrives in the post, where do they send them anyway when you are from overseas, would be interesting to see all my tolls and and speed fines at least ill be having my pictures of me and my bike looked at by someone.

Mossell Bay was interesting, dont know what work they have there maybe they feed people to the white pointers there but the squats look alot bigger than in some of the other towns and i mean massively bigger, maybe they are just all grouped in one area but it was quite noticable, not that there is anything wrong with them, its the way they live and they are on the outskirts of every town but this one jsut looked massive and it did cross my mind what is in Mossell Bay cause it doesent look like any huge town, my immediate reaction was I guess if your going to live in a place like that it might as well be Mossell Bay, it certainly is nice there.

Kept riding stopped for some lunch at some town and servo and then hit the road again for the last 130 k's to Cape L'agulhas. Once you get off the N2 its long straight roads through alot of farm land, I couldnt tell you what alot of it was though. Some of the fields were just bright yellow and mixed with the greens and browns and the blue and white sky with the mountains in the back ground made for some pretty seriously scenic stuff. The funny thing in some spots along the road there was alot of gum trees and looked like banksia so felt right at home for that little part of the journey almost stopped to take a picture but you seen one gum tree you seen em all, it was just strange to see a native Australian tree in Africa

Finally got into Cape L'agulhas and its a nice little town, im sure if you are a fisherman and died this would be your heaven, rock fishing, beach fishing, a little harbour around the coast to get your boat outside just brilliant, since i dont fish like I used to I think id be bored shitless here in 5 minutes but seriously if your a fisho and your around here this is the spot for you.

Went down to the most southerly point did the regualtion photo thing reminded me of being home at Cape Byron the most easterly point in Australia I go up there all the time so I wasnt carried away with being there but the thought that now the trip turns north is satisfying its all towards my goal of getting to Europe now. While I was there I started talking to 3 Irish guys and a Malaysian guy who had all travelled down in a four wheel drive from Europe to Cape Town so had just finished what im about to start so talked to them for awhile. The said its all good and the only issue is north of Kenya not the first time ive heard that but ill deal with that when it comes closer, thats still 5 months away.

Anyway drove back down the road and booked into a B&B so basically im in the southern most B&B in Africa which is a little expensive at 350 Rand like 46 bucks but hey im the southern most tourist in Africa right now. anyway off to Hermason or somewhere like that Tizi from Durban gave me the tip its where the southern right whales go to breed so with any luck ill see whales shagging, oh what they are there to give birth oh well good enough excuse to hit the piss then.

Just checked my emails got one from Andy at ecotourssa and he had seen my post on Wilddogs site which is a motorcycle adventure site for all the locals and people travelling here in southern Africa, he has invited me to go for a ride with him and maybe some of his mates and have them show me around some of the less touristy spots of Cape Town how brilliant that would be. Thanks Andy look forward to it.

The roads are all good down here with great scenary to boot

Lagulhas

Cape Agulhas southern most point in Africa

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:37 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #73
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cape L'agulhas to Hermanus

Left Cape L'agulhas, pretty quiet town, not much for me here but you have to do the southern most point in Africa, now im just heading north which is heading in the right direction. Packed up nice and slowly as im only just heading down the road and hour to Hermanus, the place everyone has been telling me about, so would of liked to just ride down without getting fully kitted up but as ive purposely left no room on the bike for my safety gear I have to get it all on, which is alway wise if I did have the room I'd end up riding around Africa in boardshorts and thongs flip flops.

Headed over to the southern most point again just to redo some photos and then hopped on the bike and started heading out of town, stopped at the next town along the way and had some breakfeast lunch brunch and was just sitting there pigging out minding my own business and these two girls came over and sat down for a chat, Dez and her friend were really nice and we had a nice chat. Nice to meet you if you stop by my blog guys and hope your son went well in George with the Rugby.

After eating and chatting it was time to head off, by this time it was like 12 or 12:30 and drove about 60 k's then stopped for petrol, was just a brief stop but a couple of little black kids came up on their push bikes, I gestered to one of them to come and jump on the bike. He was a a little hesitant but standing right there so I showed him how to start it and then stopped it and said come on get on and start it for me and he just gave a really bnig smile and jumped on board and fired it up, was so funny to see his smiling face he was revving it up having a ball, all the other people in the servo were just smiling and laughing at him, sort of looked like it brightened a few peoples day, it is really nice to to see the reaction you get when the kids jump on the bike, they just love it.

Reminds me of something Issac said to me the other week on the headlands at Knysna when I gave him the Gps to play with, he just said it wasnt that many years ago that something like that would never happen that someone would hand something like that to us to have a look and hold so I guess they are getting used to change in peoples attitudes still too. Funny cause its quite normal for us in Australian I guess another one of the little things we take for granted.

Left the servo and was only about 15 more minutes to Hermanus, its a pretty town the first thing that strikes you is the mountain range behind it its very spectacular. Drove into the first town you come to in this area and it was Grotto beach its really nice down there, looks like a nice little cafe down there to have a drink lunch at right down near the water. Got off had a look around ok there was a hot chick on the beachfront that got me curious but as there were no bushes anywhere to hide in I just walked straight up to her and said hello.

Headed the few more k's over to Hermanus proper and pulled up in the car park, I guess it was like 2:30 so had plenty of time to find somewhere to sleep tonight so I just had a walk around, then ended up in this amazing beer garden down on the waterfront on a rock ledge absolutely brilliant. Had a few beers then went up and was just sitting on my bike and Ronetta from Savvy tours pulled up besides me and starts having a chat, she gives me the tip to head down the road to the Winsor Hotel, cheapish and really nice right on the water, so that was really cool didnt even have to look.

Rode around there and got a upstairs balcony room over looking the ocean for about 65 bucks aussie as much as ive spent on accomodation yet but its pretty nice with breakfeast chucked in so it looks like ill be hooking into the the standard bacon and eggs again in the morning. Settled in for the night and just chilled out my neck and back has been sore lately maybe its the cooler weather thats doing but oh well whatever.
All in all a pretty relaxing day not much of a ride but very nice all the same and im now watching whales swimming about 150 metres from my bedroom window so all really good. Was thinking of going on into Cape Town by the weekend to have a ride with Andy from Ecotours but I like the feel of this place so might stay a few days even if it is a few bucks.

Had to walk down and have a beer here to welcome myself into Hermanus

The scenary around here is nice

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:47 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #74
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Herrmanus

Got up and hooked into the breakfast, if im going to be paying this amout im going to pig out, but there is just so much you can eat, you know the standard breakkie for me like eggs bacon sausages, baked beans, 10 bowls of cereal 10 peices of toast half a dozen crossiants washed down with 20 glasses of orange juice, rubbing my belly now make me feel sick thinking about it, though I must admit I do give it a shake when its free there probably looking at me thinking look at this bum eat.

Locked the bike to a chair last night and covered up it was in the back entry to the hotel so was pretty safe, its one thing im not taking for granted at any stage I lock it without fail wherever I go. Had to move rooms as the top floor unit was booked so moved directly downstairs but was actually a nicer room the shower was a ripper, it was right near the pay tv system lounge room so sat out there to watch tv as the tv in the rooms is the local rubbish and I mean rubbish.

Was a shitty day cold and wet so basically all I did was go across the road and take photographs of the whales that came in close to the rocks. Went for a walk later around town got something for dinner and more internet credit and checked out a few of the local watering holes. Had a grandpa nap and was just hanging around watching TV doing my blog and thought id go up into town and have a beer and see what was happening. Walked into Tapas where Kim from Sharklady tours had talk about, there was a few muso's playing so that was nice, pretty quiet so just sat in there had one beer then headed up the road to another place Cocos.

Was ok but was still early and was quiet so had one there then I was going to go home but walked past Tapas again and thought bugger it one more for the road. Sat down at the bar and had one then two then started talking to Petita frlom England and John from South Africa who live in Geneva Switzerland. We got on really well and were drinking like fish so was getting a little inebriated well pretty wasted actually.

Was getting pretty pissed when this Aussie girl Tracey came over and started talking to us, she had jsut finished her medical degree to become a doctor and she said that she was with the crew sitting over against the window and that shes the oldest medical student in history, I asked her how old she was and she said 39, I said yeah your right you are the oldest to which she promptly stormed off, that was so funny way to meet your lucky i even acknowlegded you Tracey being a Queenslander and all. She was there with a few other Queenslanders and other people from around the world that had volunteered their time to work in some of the local hospitals.

I bought a round of shots for us all and took theirs over to them saying this is from New South Wales to you Queenslanders. Went back over to keep drinking with John and Petita and we were getting quite hammered lots of laughs which was fun. Tracey came over and joined us for awhile then her crew were heading to back to Cocos where I was before as its a nightclub, so hung around for alittle while longer maybe and hour at Tapas. We were all going to go over but Peitia was starting to feel like she had had enough so I said my goodbyes to them and just headed over by myself.

Caught up briefly with Tracey but they were just about to leave so we had a drink then left. She was staying not far form the Windsor Hotel so I walked with her until she exited stage left. Was nice to meet you Tracey on the other side of the world good luck with your Kilanjarro climb and all your work in the hospitals and safe travels.

Got home at around 1am so not a late night but pretty hammered but ive been worse, so all good. Will go for a ride tomorrow around here somewhere, there's some amazing mountains just out of town I'm sure theres got to be some way to get up them, and that will be my mission tomorrow to find it.

The main park overlooking the ocean in Hermanus

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 11:08 AM
Old 08-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #75
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Herrmanus

Had a really nice day today got up had the regualtion breakfeast it was quite busy in there this morning, that was good as I didnt feel like so much of a pig, they wouldnt of noticed me going back for my 20 and 21st helpings.

Just hung around for awhile, I had to move room again as I haven't been making bookings im never sure when im likely to wake up and go im out of here, I had to move to a back room which is actually good away from the main hotel and ive got the bike up an alley way in front of my door its more like a seperate little chalet so its actually really nice and you've seen one whale you've seen em all from the front rooms.

Went over to the pay tv and watched the Australian Wallabies versus the New Zealand All blacks rugby game on tv which went till about 2 then jumped on the bike and started riding to nowhere. Went over to the harbour where all the whaling boats leave from, there is a nice bar over there but wasnt going anywhere near it today after last night, just pulled up and had a look at some more whales right on the rocks just cruising around, which reminds me I have to charge my camera battery. Went back down and just rode around all the streets over that side of town and then hit the highway. I was going to turn right but at the last minute turned left and im glad I did a kilometer up the road I saw a sign scenic drive so I went upto the next break in the road did a u turn and headed back up there.

The road wound its way up the mountain side and over to the back with views over the hills which would be to the north of here, looks like nice countryside out there, eventually after a few k's I got to the top or close enough to the top where you could look both south and north, ocean one side looking all the way up to Gansbaai to Hermanus the other side over the amazing hills and mountain range what a view.

Got back on the bike and headed further up the road as it turned to dirt and sand so was ok, rode up a few more kis till I got to a gate that was shut so that was as high and as far as I was going. Had a look around and then headed back down. I might go for another ride up there tomorrow when I leave her at this stage im going to go stay at Gansbaai and do the great white shark diving from over there with either Sharklady or the Mike Rutzen Shark Diving Unlimited.

I'll get to Cape Town eventually its only an hour and a half away but this part of the world is certainly beautiful and if you want something to see you only have to walk to the window or across the road and your watching whales there just everywhere.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 11:15 AM