ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 752
Is Garmin 60CSx compatible with the Basecamp??

Hello,

I purchased Garmin 60CSx from Advrider guy but he was using PC (window) and I got everything from him, but I am using Mac here. I just downloaded the Basecamp software for my Mac.. but I am wondering if 60CSx is compatible with the Basecamp or do I need to stay with MapSource??

Also, where can I find affordable 2012 map for the GPS? I kinda need one ASAP like maybe online downloading? Or is there a way I could get state by state for temporary fix because I am currently doing TAT on a very last minute plan on a very strict tight budget. My Mac and the GPS won't communicate at the moment BUT the guy who sold the GPS is currently with me and the GPS will still communicate with his PC (laptop). We are about to split in few days with me plan to go solo to finish the TAT because he plans to take few days break which is not within my budget to spend 4 nights of motel without TAT progress.

Sorry for short notice but if you think you can help me on short notice, please PM me and I can give you contact info. Keep in mind I am deaf.. Thanks!!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
For $79.99 you can download City Nav NT North America. It will give you most of the roads you will encounter on the TAT. One of the TOPO products may give more detail. Topo 24K is available via download as well.

And the 60csx will communicate with a Mac and Basecamp - but they guy who sold it to you should really unregister it with Garmin so you can re-register and be able to download maps.

If this is your first GPS, just realize that it is a great tool, but don't rely upon it as your primary navigation source.

dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 04:44 AM
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,774
Download

If you were wondering where you can download it---it's here----https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=1456

When you get to that page---you have 3 choices,
Download
DVD or
SD card

And this version is definitely compatible with your gps.
Just having the free Basecamp---won't get maps into your gps.
You still need the City Navigator.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 05:40 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

I have downloaded the 2013 map for $49.99 one time update. I can't seem to get "detail" map to do routes and tracks? What do I need to do? I am novice to all this and will be hitting the TAT until this evening. Keep me posted on this, please. Elmer is more familiar with how to set route and track but on a PC so he is new to Mac as well however he probably can pick up faster than I can due to some knowledge he already have.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
I have downloaded the 2013 map for $49.99 one time update. I can't seem to get "detail" map to do routes and tracks? What do I need to do? I am novice to all this and will be hitting the TAT until this evening. Keep me posted on this, please. Elmer is more familiar with how to set route and track but on a PC so he is new to Mac as well however he probably can pick up faster than I can due to some knowledge he already have.
The next thing you have to do is download the map data to the GPS, for which you need a memory card - and at least a couple gig. I have a 4 gig in mine.

More importantly, if you are going to use it to navigate, you need the TAT in a format that the GPS will easily utilize. Tracks are better as they are independent of map data. So if your friend has those, you need to make sure they are saved on the GPS. Then you can display them and follow along.

If you are trying to use routes, they could give you problems as they can depend on the map data they were created in. They have to be enabled individually, and then navigated.

Most importantly - don't start a multi thousand mile trip relying on a new piece of equipment that you are not familiar with. It is a recipe for frustration, at best.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
I have downloaded the 2013 map for $49.99 one time update.
IIRC, and I hope for your sake I'm wrong, the "update" only works if you've already purchased or own the CNNT NA 20XX maps and have them installed on the GPS and computer. What maps were installed on the GPS when you bought it?

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
IIRC, and I hope for your sake I'm wrong, the "update" only works if you've already purchased or own the CNNT NA 20XX maps and have them installed on the GPS and computer. What maps were installed on the GPS when you bought it?
My thought exactly. It doesn't sound to me like the City Navigator was already on that gps so the one-time update's not going to work. Even if City Navigator was already on it, you can't apply an update to a map which didn't belong to you in the first place.

Why not download Open Street Maps for free? Here's another site for OSM maps.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 12:26 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Why not download Open Street Maps for free?
You can also download individual states.
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
My thought exactly. It doesn't sound to me like the City Navigator was already on that gps so the one-time update's not going to work. Even if City Navigator was already on it, you can't apply an update to a map which didn't belong to you in the first place.

Why not download Open Street Maps for free? Here's another site for OSM maps.
Actually the previous version for the 60CSx GPS was 2011 and was successfully retrieved then updated with 2013 without any issues. That's not the problem.. the problem is where is the map details enhancements from low to highest in the Mac BaseCamp??? Also my lines are direct routing in the CNNA 2013, where do I change them using Mac? See the screen print below, I have the TAT routes but I do not see the road it is supposed to run through?? How can I get that to show up in the BaseCamp on my Mac??

Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Never mind, finally got it.. the detail was found inside the nagivator (N,S,E,W, Zoom -/+, and etc). The map is functional with 60Csx and the sample file I got from Sam for TAT is working fine now..

Thanks!!