User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,364
Rust Remover

I did not think the fuel tank from my old XT200 could even be salvaged. It was a solid mass of crusty rust inside. I tried the filling it with rocks, etc. and shaking and it did nothing. So I went for the hail Mary pass and bought a gallon of Evapo-Rust snake oil at PepBoys. But, it turns out this crap isn't snake oil.

Well, maybe it is. Who knows WTF is in it. The MSDS only says it isn't hazardous. But it works a lot better than I expected. No, it isn't perfect after a 24 hour soak. But this tank was SOLID rust before the bath. Now I am wishing for a before shot. There was zero shiney metal before and I almost tossed it in the recycle bin.

The tank was this bad back when I was still riding the bike. I believe we have a save.

I actually wish it were hazardous because I have a second mission where a good old fashioned hazardous poisoning would be quite justified:

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Tcob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I have been using the same stuff on my 1979 Honda CR250 restore, though not perfect, it has done wonders on all of the parts I have used it on.
Tcob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
tnguyengp
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Every bike owner dreads rust eating away at the precious metal of their bike. Rust can appear on any unprotected part of your bike, including, but not limited to, the hinges, engine, and frames. Rust happens when a combination of air and water is allowed to sit on your bike for prolonged periods of time. Prevention of such an occurrence would mean removing air and water.
Process of Rust Proofing
  • A thorough cleaning away of dirt and debris.
  • Spraying a sealant to keep harmful chemicals off.
  • Let dry; once its finished, the product prevents rust from forming.
From experience in military packaging, when you have the proper moisture barrier materials, you can extend the lifespan of valuable equipment. Its important to be pre-emptive when it comes to corrosion prevention or else you could wind up spending a lot more than youd like.
tnguyengp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I actually wish it were hazardous because I have a second mission where a good old fashioned hazardous poisoning would be quite justified:

Giant mouse high-rise condo?
Yuck! Their piss stains and rusts everything.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
I have an old Jeep and if you ever want to take anything off an old Jeep that (used) to be a bolt, just get a hacksaw and save yourself some time.
Point being, they rust. It's like they are all one huge part now that's rusted together! That may be fine for the rest of the Jeep but when the floor rusts, thats bad.
I used to use a rust converter that converted the rust into a paintable metal..... for the life of me I wish I remember what it was called but it worked wonders. Unfortunately about half my Jeep dissolved one afternoon just by poking at it with a screwdriver....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think the n00b is trying to tell me I shouldn't have left the old XT sitting in an open garage for ten years and a garden shed for another ten years after abusing it in SC salt water for the first ten years.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I think the n00b is trying to tell me I shouldn't have left the old XT sitting in an open garage for ten years and a garden shed for another ten years after abusing it in SC salt water for the first ten years.
I thought it worked pretty well when I used it, but try the stuff that comes in the kit for a POR15 tank seal and you'll not be as impressed. Granted that's for cleaning up the metal and then coating it right away.

Even with the Evaporust treatment, the rust returned. If you only have one of these it might not be bad, but I had 4, boo! Oddly, I could remove and replace the bowls on that bike without removing the carbs by the time I was done with it...

Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

POR15 is some wicked stuff. I did the interior body tub of my Cherokee with it. When the whole vehicle is a pile of red dust that body tub will still be in one piece.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 6,913
Isn't Naval Jelly for rust removal? That and gun bluing.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Grreatdog OP
Beastly Adventurer

IIRC naval jelly is basically phosphoric acid which isn't quite as safe to use as the stuff above.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: