Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,795
I'm pleasantly surprised that my parents--with no knowledge on the subject--went out to buy a TV and ended up with a nice Panasonic plasma. But then it was a small local retailer vs a big box store.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #17
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,351
I saw best buy had a samsung 51" plasma for $899. 1080p 600hz.
shit now on their website its under $799 but i have to jump thru a hoop to see exactly how much.
[edit: nope thats for the 720p one which i do not want]

it would be a nice jump from my 60hz chinese 40"lcd.

only problem is i spend 85% of my time in front of my samsung 25" computer monitor. hard to spend 7 bills on something i only watch when the big bang theory is on.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=2584325
Old 06-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz View Post
I saw best buy had a samsung 51" plasma for $899. 1080p 600hz.
shit now on their website its under $799 but i have to jump thru a hoop to see exactly how much.
[edit: nope thats for the 720p one which i do not want]

it would be a nice jump from my 60hz chinese 40"lcd.

only problem is i spend 85% of my time in front of my samsung 25" computer monitor. hard to spend 7 bills on something i only watch when the big bang theory is on.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=2584325
Just a note, since all plasma is 600hz, it doesn't need to be noted. I think this is funny because you HAVE to note that the LCDs are either 20 or 240hz then everyone goes all gaga till they see a plasma is standard at 600hz! Also, all lcd works at 60hz, and is OVERCLOCKED at the processor to run either 120 or 240hz so it is only a smoke screen. It does look a little better in motion than 60hz, but there are also drawbacks to overclocking that are tradeoffs in other areas.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Just a note, since all plasma is 600hz, it doesn't need to be noted. I think this is funny because you HAVE to note that the LCDs are either 20 or 240hz then everyone goes all gaga till they see a plasma is standard at 600hz! Also, all lcd works at 60hz, and is OVERCLOCKED at the processor to run either 120 or 240hz so it is only a smoke screen. It does look a little better in motion than 60hz, but there are also drawbacks to overclocking that are tradeoffs in other areas.
Isn't standard TV broadcast at 60hz, though?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Isn't standard TV broadcast at 60hz, though?
Standard def is boradcast and aquired at 60hz, HD is aquired at either 24P, 30P (progressive) or 1080 60I, but these are frame rates, and progressive is different. But that doesn't matter. The refresh rate on the display is where artifacts come in in digital transmission. So, the higher the refresh rate, the smoother the motion will look. Plasma is ALWAYS 600hz, and ALWAYS displays 900-~1080 lines of information in the motion picture. LCD or LED backlit LCD displays only up to 480 at 60hz, 500 at 120hz and about 600 lines of rez at 240hz. LCD LED is only full 1080 at very slow or NO motion.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

So is it correct to say that the only time you would see a difference is watching a blue ray or a high def broadcast? Would standard broadcast be similar? Not trying to be a wise ass, I'm interested in an answer from someone who actually knows what they are talking about. When I bought my Toshiba LCD, the plasmas were still having the burn in issues and glare issues. If they have really addressed the problems I would consider one in the future. But for now I'm quite pleased when this is playing a blue ray disc at 1080p.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
So is it correct to say that the only time you would see a difference is watching a blue ray or a high def broadcast? Would standard broadcast be similar? Not trying to be a wise ass, I'm interested in an answer from someone who actually knows what they are talking about. When I bought my Toshiba LCD, the plasmas were still having the burn in issues and glare issues. If they have really addressed the problems I would consider one in the future. But for now I'm quite pleased when this is playing a blue ray disc at 1080p.
You question is addressed so openly, I can't really tell what you are asking, but let me take a stab at it.

1080p displayed on a display capable of displaying it is best.

720p played back at 720p looks almost as good.

480i, 480p displayed on a 720p or 1080p display of any type looks like shit, unless upconverted to the pixel resolution of the display. Only when 480i or p is displayed on a unit at 720p or 1080p and up-converted to the native resolution of the display it is being displayed on, is it optimal for WHAT IT ORIGINATED as. SD (480i,480P) is never going to look as good as 720p or 1080p, BUT it is going to look damn good if done right. HOWEVER, TV originating as SD WILL NOT be up-converted, it will be sent as SD and up-converts on the display, not at the origination.

CLASS plasmas have for the most part gone by the initial problems they had years ago, like high altitude buzz, screen burn in, and longevity. NOW the high end ones, and of course the pioneer of Plasma, Panasonic, are on later generations, Panasonic being far ahead of everyone else, in advancements on plasma so much so, that they have literally no problems. Some off brands, and some good brands still have early designs in plasma, therefore stay away from those, and if you want plasma, get a Panasonic if you want the best and latest design, and technology.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Sorry, I sometimes don't get my point across when written down. Let me try it this way: Regarding LCD screens, the manufacturers are bragging about refresh rates of 240hz for smooth motion. But if you are watching a SD broadcast TV station at 60hz, it won't make a difference, right? There would only be a difference when watching a high def source also at a higher refresh rate. Or am I completely wrong?

I get the plasma is better, just using the LCD as an example.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #24
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
I purchased a new television earlier this year. Ended up getting a Samsung 46" LCD that was well reviewed. While shopping, I was really impressed with the picture quality of the plasmas vs. the LCDs at the same price point. Problem was, all of the plasmas I looked at had high-gloss screens. The positions of the windows and lights in our living room made this an absolute deal breaker. Our old rear screen projection set had a glossy screen and I cursed it every day.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #25
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,307
I can't wait till my tv finally dies. The current prices just kill me. On saturday a co-worker picked up a 50" LG plasma for $ 500. My 8 year old 34" theater wide Toshiba tube cost me almost $ 2000!
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #26
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Sorry, I sometimes don't get my point across when written down. Let me try it this way: Regarding LCD screens, the manufacturers are bragging about refresh rates of 240hz for smooth motion. But if you are watching a SD broadcast TV station at 60hz, it won't make a difference, right? There would only be a difference when watching a high def source also at a higher refresh rate. Or am I completely wrong?

I get the plasma is better, just using the LCD as an example.
Well, no. The monitors refresh rate when we are talking about LCD DOES make a difference at any resolution. BUT it is more noticeable on HD because of the resolution. An LCD device was designed as a static display device for computer and signage use. It was never intended to be a device for display of motion sources like video. As a result, the design makes it need many fixes to look better than it did when it was only standard at 60hz. Keep in mind, the device is NOT refreshing at 120 or 240 hz BY DESIGN, it has been modified to over clock the processor to double or quadruple the refresh rate which is not as good as if it was designed to display at those refresh rates. To more directly address your question, motion on a LCD looks bad, and drops resolution to at or under SD resolution at 60hz, and at 120 or 240 hz, at the higher rates, it just drops resolution at a lesser amount as they get higher, BUT they still drop to sd resolution at faster rates of motion. Now a 60hz NON HD LCd with SD video can look good for an SD monitor, but when motion gets fast, the DISPLAY can not keep up with the faster motion.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #27
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I can't wait till my tv finally dies. The current prices just kill me. On saturday a co-worker picked up a 50" LG plasma for $ 500. My 8 year old 34" theater wide Toshiba tube cost me almost $ 2000!
Put it dsomewhere else in the house and buy a plasma. Or donate it to the children's hospital and take a tax write off.....
Old 07-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #28
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Okay, I think I get it now. Thanks for explaining it. Will definately look at plasmas next.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #29
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,439
So... very shortly... as in, in the next month or so... I am planning on buying a new TV... We have suffered long enough with our 27" CRT...

Plasmas sound like where it is at for watching movies... which is really what I care about for viewing... I don't watch sports or much TV and the room can be set up with good curtains (read hotel-room-black-out curtains) to block light for daytime viewing...

Any screaming deals that should be considered??... budget is sub $1200, size: 50-58 inches...

Also going to be looking for a good swiveling wall hanger for it... one that pull away from the wall a kind of turns a corner if that makes sense...

Any that should be avoided like the plague??

Most of my homework at this point is from Consumer Reports, though it seems like they spend WAY more energy reviewing LCD's...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #30
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Okay, I think I get it now. Thanks for explaining it. Will definately look at plasmas next.
Remember though, SD looks like crap on a HD TV, especially a real good HDTV....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: