Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #46
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Oh and what's your favorite unified remote control?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #47
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
Oh and what's your favorite unified remote control?
i have a logitech harmony 700 that works pretty good. paid $118 for it. i'm amazed that it can be charged via usb port and stay charged for 4-5-6 months. i figured 1 month or 2 tops.. programable via internet and logitech even had the codes from some old NAD stuff i was using.

the harmony 1100 has the nicest interface but its $350.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #48
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

I was in the local Radio Shack to pick up a Harmony 700 when I saw an Accoustics Research remote that bore some investigation..
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #49
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
OK, you used the phrase up-conversion....

Will an SD Cable feed coming off of a set top box via component video cable look any better after being "upscaled" by a receiver with video signal processing capability? I could not get any clear answer on that one even after reading AVfourum until my eyes bled. I ended up purchasing a receiver that does up conversion, but not upscaling because it had all of the other features I was looking for, this was the only area in which I was fuzzy (pardon the pun).

Also, my STB (Motorola 6200?) has a DVI output and a component video. I can get a DVI/HDMI converter and plug into the receiver that way or use component. Is there likley to be a difference in picture between them? My logic says that an end to end digital signal is going to be better than a signal with 2 conversions on the way to the TV.

Thanks!
Well, let me answer this in my typical, overworded and complicated geek way. WHen you up-convert/up-scale an SD analog video signal to any HD resolution, you are only taking the finite number of lines of resolution the SD signal has, which is 480, and adding a cloned line to every space in between the lines. Esentially, this is line cloning, not truly line doubling like the common up-scaling devices use as a term for thier conversion. You are only making the picture precievably better. Now, in the digital world, this happens differently, but the same if you know what I mean. Yes the signal of origin is SD so is 480, but the digital up-scaling happens digitally, so does the line doubling thing in a way but then converts the signal to a digital signal and therefore, it makes the signal PROGRESSIVE. Sooo, what I am saying in a nutshell, analog sd up converted to HD looks like shit, digitally up converted SD to HD looks quite good.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #50
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

So really, what you are saying is that I bought the wrong receiver!

At least I think that's what your are saying !

The Denon 2112ci that is sitting in my family room does upCONVERSION, but not upSCALING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Well, let me answer this in my typical, overworded and complicated geek way. WHen you up-convert/up-scale an SD analog video signal to any HD resolution, you are only taking the finite number of lines of resolution the SD signal has, which is 480, and adding a cloned line to every space in between the lines. Esentially, this is line cloning, not truly line doubling like the common up-scaling devices use as a term for thier conversion. You are only making the picture precievably better. Now, in the digital world, this happens differently, but the same if you know what I mean. Yes the signal of origin is SD so is 480, but the digital up-scaling happens digitally, so does the line doubling thing in a way but then converts the signal to a digital signal and therefore, it makes the signal PROGRESSIVE. Sooo, what I am saying in a nutshell, analog sd up converted to HD looks like shit, digitally up converted SD to HD looks quite good.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #51
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by word1 View Post
OK Kev, I've been following this, and other TV threads, and now I'm looking for free advice

We have $500 'ish budgeted to upgrade our main TV.
As you can tell, TV isn't a huge priority for us - but it's time to upgrade our current HP LC2600N LCD unit.
We've also decided that a ~40" screen is about as large as we'd like in the room.

So, what do 'ya think about this Panasonic Vierra plasma: TC-P42X3 which I can get locally for ~ $480 ?

Our current video needs are very modest (we don't own a BluRay player, for example) - mostly HD TV via cable and the occasional DVD movie.

I've spent some time in the store with this unit, and I like the picture quality and user interface.

What say you?

_jay
Hey Sniper! This was exactly what I was going to ask you...based on your response, I just bought one. $475 at Sears.

Just like your in-store experience, the floor model was all muddied up. It looked like crap compared to the LCDs next to it, even after I fiddled with the settings. I bought it anyway. What do you know- in the middle of their big storewide sale, they didn't have one in stock!

I'm currently running it from an Xbox with a component cable. Any suggestions as far as an Hdmi cable? Is it worth getting, or, like 720vs1080, not really noticeable except to the discerning eyeball?

Any specific setup ideas? I've got heavy drapes on the windows, and a 6-11 foot viewing distance.

Man, that high-gloss screen can be annoying!

I just saw a Consumer Reports article downgrading this model by 1 star for brightness fade after 1500 hours of operation...have you seen this problem?

Oh, one last thing... . Where's the stinking on/off switch? There's one front and center by the power light, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I hate using the remote exclusively.

Thanks for all your wisdom in the various threads!!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #52
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Oh, one last thing... . Where's the stinking on/off switch? There's one front and center by the power light, but it doesn't seem to do anything.
RTFM?

If its like the 50", the button is on the right hand side towards the bottom

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #53
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Hey Sniper! This was exactly what I was going to ask you...based on your response, I just bought one. $475 at Sears.

Just like your in-store experience, the floor model was all muddied up. It looked like crap compared to the LCDs next to it, even after I fiddled with the settings. I bought it anyway. What do you know- in the middle of their big storewide sale, they didn't have one in stock!

I'm currently running it from an Xbox with a component cable. Any suggestions as far as an Hdmi cable? Is it worth getting, or, like 720vs1080, not really noticeable except to the discerning eyeball?

Any specific setup ideas? I've got heavy drapes on the windows, and a 6-11 foot viewing distance.

Man, that high-gloss screen can be annoying!

I just saw a Consumer Reports article downgrading this model by 1 star for brightness fade after 1500 hours of operation...have you seen this problem?

Oh, one last thing... . Where's the stinking on/off switch? There's one front and center by the power light, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I hate using the remote exclusively.

Thanks for all your wisdom in the various threads!!
On the cables, as long as you aren't running HDMI over about 12ft, there is really not much difference in cables as long as you don't get a bargain basement cable. Get a middle of the road HDMI cable, and set the tele to display 1080p un-molested as in 1080p not stretched or whatever your TV calls it. I have seen nothing on the brightness thing but if you are worried, call the manufacturer's number in the manual and see if they say anything about it. I am not totally sure about THAT model, but my power and operation switches are all on the right hand side, bottom facing off to the right. Bottom right hand corner facing right. Yeah, you need to scrim off the light directly behind you.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #54
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

RTFM, indeed! I missed the diagram showing the power button- on the back of the TV. Too bad mine's in a bookcase.

Where's that damned remote?

Great write-up HERE, BTW. More colorcontrastslopegraphs than anyone needs!

Thanks for the tip on cables.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #55
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 545
I found this thread just in time! I too am doing the dazed and confused dance to find the best $500 TV. I was in the big box and didn't give the plasmas much of a look because I, foggily, remembered something was wrong with them. FWIW there was something I found compelling about the picture quality but didn't pay much attention because it wasn't what I was looking for. The sales guy only mentioned plasmas need to be viewed in a dark room.
We have a lot of light during the day in our living room, is that a problem?
How many HDMI ports do I need? No gaming here.
Also engineer wife sez she believes plasmas are energy hogs. Any more so than other varieties?
Lots of good information here, I look forward to reading more.
Thanks,
A. W.

August West screwed with this post 11-18-2011 at 05:31 PM
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #56
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,461
I want a 65+ LED or LCD.. How much should I be paying for it?
Old 11-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #57
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
I found this thread just in time! I too am doing the dazed and confused dance to find the best $500 TV. I was in the big box and didn't give the plasmas much of a look because I, foggily, remembered something was wrong with them. FWIW there was something I found compelling about the picture quality but didn't pay much attention because it wasn't what I was looking for. The sales guy only mentioned plasmas need to be viewed in a dark room.
We have a lot of light during the day in our living room, is that a problem?
How many HDMI ports do I need? No gaming here.
Also engineer wife sez she believes plasmas are energy hogs. Any more so than other varieties?
Lots of good information here, I look forward to reading more.
Thanks,
A. W.
According to SniperX, the problems have been worked out of plasmas- burn-in, altitude sensitivity, etc.

I think my 42" lists 68watts turned on, and about nothing when off.

Note my shiny screen comment. I think that's just my model, not plasmas in general, though.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #58
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 545
The shiny screen comment was regarding the Panasonic Vierra plasma TC-P42X3?
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #59
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,039
Is there a reason I want a plasma more than an LED?

We plan to buy a big TV within the next year; in the area of 60 inches or bigger.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #60
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Loving my Panny VT25 over all the other LCD's in the house. Plasma still produces the best, most realistic picture IMHO.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: