ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
katanarama OP
riding > posting
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 182
DS riding near Montreal

Hey everybody,

I am facing a transfer from Vancouver to Montreal in July.

What kind of trail riding is there close to Montreal?

Can I even insure my XR650R in Quebec? Some say no. :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers

K.
katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
katanarama OP
riding > posting
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 182
I will motard my XR if I cant find any trails
katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by katanarama
Hey everybody,

I am facing a transfer from Vancouver to Montreal in July.

What kind of trail riding is there close to Montreal?

Can I even insure my XR650R in Quebec? Some say no. :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers

K.
You won't get plates for that XR in Quebec, they changed the laws a little while back. The editor of Cycle Canada had a road legal XR, and they pulled the plate from him. Sweet bike, he had motard wheels for it, too. He sold it and rides a 690 now.

Go north of the city maybe an hour and there's lots of good riding up in the Laurentians. Some good stuff just over the border in NY and VT, too.

A KLR isn't an XR offroad, but it's inexpensive, will get you on the trails, and makes a good city weapon for traffic. Montreal does traffic. It moves better than any other city in Canada, but there's still a lot of it.

What part of town will you be working in? Where you work and where you live make a big diff there. They believe in winter, get used to it.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
gaspésien1150
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gaspésien1150's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: QUEBEC
Oddometer: 150
Hi body,

comes to see us on this french forum :

http://motoaventurequebec.xooit.com/index.php

__________________
BMW R1150 GS ADV 2002
KTM 530 EXC RED-BULL 2010
KTM 950 ADV 2004
BÉTA 250 RR 2013
PARTI QUÉBECOIS ALL THE WAY
gaspésien1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
tommythecat
Vive ut vivas
 
tommythecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 245
Hey!

Well, welcome to Montreal if you do get here. Nice trail riding in the Laurentians as mentionned before. Notre-Dame-de-la-merci and Chersey(sp?) also have nice trails. You can now get a membership from an ATV club to access their trails up North.

On the South shore, you need to get to Sutton and so to find some decent stuff.

Just a word of advice: Because of winter tire laws, no bikes from Dec 15th to March 15th...

If you do get here, give me a shout!

Cheers

Nick
__________________
Tommy the cat had many a story to tell, but it was a rare occasion such as this that he did.

2010 F800GS
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
blues
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Burlington VT
Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by katanarama
Hey everybody,

I am facing a transfer from Vancouver to Montreal in July.

What kind of trail riding is there close to Montreal?

Can I even insure my XR650R in Quebec? Some say no. :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers

K.
"facing a transfer to Montreal"? I've been trying to get my Corp to let me set something up in Montreal for years, it's an awesome place, unless of course you don't like to have a good time.

When I'm not in Montreal, I'm riding. Less than an hour from downtown and you're on dirt roads, they go on seemingly forever.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues
"facing a transfer to Montreal"? I've been trying to get my Corp to let me set something up in Montreal for years, it's an awesome place, unless of course you don't like to have a good time.

When I'm not in Montreal, I'm riding. Less than an hour from downtown and you're on dirt roads, they go on seemingly forever.
Coming from Van, it can be a tough switch. I like Montreal (hell, I was born there), but Van is a really nice place, and Montreal is a different world.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
katanarama OP
riding > posting
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Oddometer: 182
thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. To bad about the XR650R.... Guess I will sell it here in BC if the transfer does come about.

Nick I will give you a shout for sure once I get there!
katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
selecus
--------
 
selecus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 80
Hey gang, I just moved back to Montreal following a 2 year stint in Vancouver, have ridden street bikes only thus far but really anxious to get dirty. Sold my ride before I moved with plans to buy new. Was at the bike show last weekend, love the 800gs, but not sure as I haven't found any kind of bike network in Montreal. Have a couple friends here that ride, but they aren't equiped for off-road. Hence I'm torn on what to go for.

All that to say, are there any friendly people that get together on occasion? People I can tag along with come spring and learn a thing or two from? I know motointernational has a clinic to learn basic techniques, but as we all know, the only real way to learn is to ride as much as possible!

Drop me a line!
selecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
tommythecat
Vive ut vivas
 
tommythecat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 245
Hey Selecus,

I will gladly take you out for a few rides!

I have a DR and I know a few good trails. I will probably take my Quad club membership since DS bikes are now allowed with the proper permit!

As far as network go, I'm not really sure what you mean but we are a cool bunch. For offroad classes, the offroad motorcycle fed in Qc has a course too and I've heard it's quite the challenge.

My first son is due late May so less riding for me this year but I'll have some time for sure.

Let me know if you get a DS!

Cheers

Nick
__________________
Tommy the cat had many a story to tell, but it was a rare occasion such as this that he did.

2010 F800GS
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
touche
RidAventure maniac
 
touche's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 165
Plenty of trail files available on this french forum (gotto register to have access to the files).

Trade off the XRR for a 690 and come have fun with us
__________________
Touche
KTM 990 2003 for sale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003420
touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
selecus
--------
 
selecus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommythecat
Hey Selecus,

I will gladly take you out for a few rides!

I have a DR and I know a few good trails. I will probably take my Quad club membership since DS bikes are now allowed with the proper permit!

As far as network go, I'm not really sure what you mean but we are a cool bunch. For offroad classes, the offroad motorcycle fed in Qc has a course too and I've heard it's quite the challenge.

My first son is due late May so less riding for me this year but I'll have some time for sure.

Let me know if you get a DS!

Cheers

Nick
I'll be in touch Nick, didn't even realize you had responded until now! I put an order on a 800gs, figure it maybe a bit much to hit the trails with for the first time, but don't have space for 2 bikes. And since I want to do some touring as well, it seems like the logical choice.

By network I meant simply a group of people that meet up regularly on weekends, meet at a gas station somewhere at a given time and go riding together. That sort if thing is pretty popular in BC, met some cool people like that.

Is there a web link to the "offroad motorcycle fed in Qc" you are referring to? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Touche, my French is still pretty weak, but I'll definitely poke around.

selecus screwed with this post 03-20-2009 at 06:05 AM
selecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com
 
Motojournalism's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal via BC
Oddometer: 1,630
Montreal is a fantastic city, but the outdoors... It just ain't BC...

That being said, there's a real strong BMW dual-sport community here. Lot's of good folks around. They're open to all brands, you'll see KTMs and KLRs too.

http://motoaventurequebec.xooit.com/index.php
http://www.bmw-club-quebec.qc.ca/forum/
__________________
"Absorb what is useful, Discard what is useless, Add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee
Motorcycle Travel Photography tips at motojournalism.com

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
selecus
--------
 
selecus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax
Montreal is a fantastic city, but the outdoors... It just ain't BC...

That being said, there's a real strong BMW dual-sport community here. Lot's of good folks around. They're open to all brands, you'll see KTMs and KLRs too.

http://motoaventurequebec.xooit.com/index.php
http://www.bmw-club-quebec.qc.ca/forum/
I have no illusions that it's not BC, the landscape there is just surreal, really miss it. I just tell myself it could be worse, I could be in Toronto, and I feel better! ;)

It's good to hear that there is strong BMW DS community, but to be honest, I have no brand loyalty. Finding cool fellow riders is most important, what they ride is irrelevant....

I appreciate the links, will take a look.
selecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 45,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by selecus
I have no illusions that it's not BC, the landscape there is just surreal, really miss it. I just tell myself it could be worse, I could be in Toronto, and I feel better! ;)

It's good to hear that there is strong BMW DS community, but to be honest, I have no brand loyalty. Finding cool fellow riders is most important, what they ride is irrelevant....

I appreciate the links, will take a look.
Within easy each is the rally Connex rides, well worth your time.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014