User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
brightballs OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
ABS really works

After owning my 2005 GS for nine years , I got the opportunity to really test abs brakes. I was in an up hill right hand curve when I suddenly popped out on to a four lane highway. I did not notice the stop sign or the highway until my wife who was on the back yelled stop sign!!! At that moment I saw the stop sign, the highway and the cars on the highway! Oh yea, it had been raining and the road was wet. I was about ten yards from the sign in 4th gear doing about 30 miles per hr and grabbed all the brake hoping I could stop in time. I could feel the wheels sliding and then releasing as I came to a stop at the edge of the highway. I had the bike stopped but all the shift in weight caused the bike to tip over. I simply stepped off but my wife rolled off when the bike hit the ground. No harm done. I honestly don't know how the bike stopped that quickly. I think my guardian angle was working over time. Any way ABS really does work! We had been riding for several hours and it was after lunch so I was a little fatigued. My lack of focus almost got us killed. Anyway we had a great trip to Damascus , Va and ridig the roads of south west Va. Riding tired is dangerous! Scott
brightballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
riverflow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
If you really want to get your money's worth out of it you should stop like that all the time

I've got an 05 f650 GS and use the rear abs more frequently than I should. I've even had the front kick in a handful of times, usually when it's wet out. Really does help. It's also kept me in line when I hit a couple patches of slush/ice instead of sliding all over the place. Can't complain about mine.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 760
Now to practice engaging the ABS a few more times so you finish the next event in the upright and locked position
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
brightballs OP
n00b

Hey gogo you are so right, practicing hard stops would be helpful. Stupid happens to all of us sooner or later. Scott
Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,036
Possibly stupid question: how well does the ABS work when leaned over?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post
Possibly stupid question: how well does the ABS work when leaned over?

the abs works but it won't help much. physics says no when it comes to braking under an angle. abs doesn't change that.

hoping someone will come along and explain exactly what happens when braking under angle.
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #7
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
the abs works but it won't help much. physics says no when it comes to braking under an angle. abs doesn't change that.

hoping someone will come along and explain exactly what happens when braking under angle.
It's a BIT better than not having ABS, you don't end up in the scrub, you don't highside, but yeah, not a big help. If you are quick you do learn that leaving the brakes alone, leaning further and adding a quick prayer, will likely work better.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/brochures/m...o-ride-with-it

I would add good, balanced suspension, newer tires, and appropriate tire pressure are contributors too.

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR

Gundy screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 06:21 AM
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
davehg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
The KTM 1190 is the first motorcycle to incorporate a lean angle sensor to enable ABS in a turn. Haven't tested it myself yet, but those who have are floored by how well it works. Hopefully soon it will be a standard on all new bikes.

Here is a good article on how it works
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ol-review.html
davehg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
maxpowers410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Whats your bike test like? In Switzerland as part of the mandatory training and part of the test they make you pull hard on breaks at 60!kph. Thatßs about 35mph or so. You have to come to a stand still and only then remove your left foot from the peg and drop it on the floor. Takes a while to get the hang of balancing yourself and the bike while 90% of the weight is on the front wheel ABS screaming at you all over the place. I stopped practicing when I realised how much tyres cost..
maxpowers410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
Now to practice engaging the ABS a few more times so you finish the next event in the upright and locked position
SO TRUE! I practice ABS emergency stops in a somewhat controlled environment (empty paved county roads) at the beginning of each riding season, and then a time or two during the season. You know, e-stop at 25mph, then 50mph, then 75mph etc ........ you'll get a lot of good feedback from your machine, tires, etc. There are a lot of riders out there that have no idea JUST HOW FAST their bike will stop when it has to! It's a good thing to know ......... and as a bonus, it also lets you know if your ABS is operating properly.

Glad that lapse in concentration worked out for the best for Mr. and Mrs. Brightballs!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
brightballs OP
n00b

I have in the past on a few occasions practiced stopping very quickly. I just was not brave enough to practice ABS engaging stops. i will practice them now. Anyway the abs worked very well on a rain slick highway with wife on back and bags fully loaded. We need all the advantage we can get out there.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehg View Post
The KTM 1190 is the first motorcycle to incorporate a lean angle sensor to enable ABS in a turn. Haven't tested it myself yet, but those who have are floored by how well it works. Hopefully soon it will be a standard on all new bikes.

Here is a good article on how it works
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ol-review.html

Are you sure about that? That system sounds exactly like the system that BMW has been using in the S1000RR for several years and has since expanded to the K1600GT/L, R1200RT, GS and GS Adventure (water cooled). Lean angle sensors using the traction/stability control is not new and I'm reasonably sure it is already part of the braking system as well.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #14
maxpowers410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Are you sure about that? That system sounds exactly like the system that BMW has been using in the S1000RR for several years and has since expanded to the K1600GT/L, R1200RT, GS and GS Adventure (water cooled). Lean angle sensors using the traction/stability control is not new and I'm reasonably sure it is already part of the braking system as well.
The new GS a gyro to calculate lean angle and adjust throttle/abs, offering Traction control in corners etc. I think..
maxpowers410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,728
I think ABS might have helped me in the minivan thread I posted, might have lowsided or worse with grabbing all the brakes I could in a panic stop. Instead I hit it dead on and straight upright. The rotors are noticeably bent so the wheel was locked on impact

As it was this is the only injury I had, which looks worse than it is\was

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote