Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #151
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron90068 View Post
AW: So sorry to learn about the fork failure on your bike. It seems that you are very lucky that the situation wasn't a great deal worse. Can you tell me when your bike was made (as you may know, the VIN sticker is on the frame just below the handlebars on the right side). I ask because my week-old 2011 G650GS, with 96 miles on the clock, was made in February 2011 according to the date code (0211) on the sticker. Thank you, and I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

November 2010
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #152
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Do one in one thousand BMWs break forks? Mine has lasted almost 30 years and more than a thousand times the mileage of this one without this problem.
The question is not how many BMWs break forks. The question is how many F/G650GSes break forks. The actual statistics are not known, but it appears that it may be distressingly frequent. WayneC1 has posted that he has run the numbers for... I believe it was Australia, and seen one failure per 75 bikes. I can't vouch for the number, but if he's overstating the case by 10 times it's still way, way too frequent.

Quote:
Last time I passed through LAX, this happened there later the same day, so that would make it, what, 99.5%?
Only if that happens once a day.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #153
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Well said JD

I have tried to ensure I have understated rather than overstated the numbers & would be happy to be corrected.

The problem is getting the numbers especially for Europe where the vast majority were sold

We are all in markets where the number of machines sold is lower and we are putting the machines through more rigorous use & that seems to be where the failures have occurred more than the urban environments in the EU

What concerns me is if the earlier failures have a fatigue factor involved then those in the urban environments will simply take longer to get to the failure point.

It would appear though in the failure which generated this thread that some form of manufacturing defect is involved as I have only had one other earlier report of suspected cracking of newer style sliders which came out of Sth Africa & the owner never confirmed the fault but I understand he was going to replace anyway as the machines were being taken into the harsh SA bush tracks.
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #154
_vortex_
snow snow snow :(

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:

And the front fork didn't even break off, even when pushing the rims down the runway sideways. Maybe BMW should take some notes.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #155
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Talking Sarcasm - Oh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Jaglite,

I suspect that you didn't get the sarcasm and irony oozing out of my previous posts much like the disgusting fluids emanating from semi fresh road kill on a hot summer afternoon. I understand where you are coming from completely, because you identify yourself as an engineer... but obviously NOT one employed by BMW.

"Do you mean that we should expect that occasionally one of our forks will break? That acceptable design in critical parts does not need to be "zero failure"? If so, you wouldn't be able to get a job here at the engineering company I work at. Failure of critical parts is unacceptable. Period."

This is clearly not the management philosophy at BMW, because these catastrophic fork failures have been brought to their attention, they re-designed the part, negotiated non-disclosure agreements with the respective parties, and continued to produce an inferior and over priced product that they market very effectively as an admission ticket to the world of adventure riding.

I understand that anything might break and I realize that I could be the unfortunate Joe who gets it, I'm just really disgusted with BMW for KNOWINGLY selling crap.

Truly, you should have known...

Ah, now I get it.
I had to go back and read your previous posts to understand your line of reasoning.
Sarcasm is difficult to get from reading if we don't remember other points a person has made.
Much easier to get sarcasm when talking with someone.

BTW I am not an engineer, I am a structural designer.
The engineers are the ones with the calculators
I design and they do the math.
I have the fun part of the job
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #156
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Just took another look at the photos, and saw the black mark on the axle nut, ~90 deg. CW from the intentional mark at the bottom (sorry if this is 205). Do other bikes like this have such a mark, or it this a clue about the bent axle and someone's attempt to assemble it after it was bent? Is there a similar black mark on the left side?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #157
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Seth Enslow talks forks

I don't always walk away from a crash...

But when I do, it's not because I was riding a BMW 650!

Stay thirsty my friend.

http://youtu.be/6QKt4B-1WTo

PS; What do James Stewart, Ricky Carmichael, Roger DeCoster, and Malcolm Smith have in common?
They haven't managed to snap off an axle lug from a fork slider, but hey... they don't ride very hard, and never, ever, crash.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #158
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Just took another look at the photos, and saw the black mark on the axle nut, ~90 deg. CW from the intentional mark at the bottom (sorry if this is 205). Do other bikes like this have such a mark, or it this a clue about the bent axle and someone's attempt to assemble it after it was bent? Is there a similar black mark on the left side?

HHMM ? good observation - never even noticed that.. Nope no mark on the left side from what we can see.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #159
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
i don't always walk away from a crash...

But when i do, it's not because i was riding a bmw 650!

Stay thirsty my friend.

http://youtu.be/6qkt4b-1wto

ps; what do james stewart, ricky carmichael, roger decoster, and malcolm smith have in common?
They haven't managed to snap off an axle lug from a fork slider, but hey... They don't ride very hard, and never, ever, crash.

double ouch!!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #160
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
I

PS; What do James Stewart, Ricky Carmichael, Roger DeCoster, and Malcolm Smith have in common?
They haven't managed to snap off an axle lug from a fork slider, but hey... they don't ride very hard, and never, ever, crash.
How about Richard or Falcon Keene, did they ride a BMW Single 650 as well?

Point being, until investigated one should be careful what one believes ...lest we all float away on a balloon....
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #161
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _vortex_ View Post
And the front fork didn't even break off, even when pushing the rims down the runway sideways. Maybe BMW should take some notes.
True but I damn well hope it was replaced afterwards......if the fork doesnt break it would just bend...would you still want to ride on the bent fork..no you would want it replaced. at least with the broken fork the insurance company has no option but to replace it instead of a cheap she will be right bend it back into shape in the vice trick...
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #162
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I suspect that Richard Keene would be more likely to try and sell you a BMW 650 by claiming that it was equipped with special, heavy duty, high performance forks that are far superior to the ones found on bikes costing thousands LESS!

http://youtu.be/UcQechxYZAY

If you watch this video you may notice that none of the bikes had a catastrophic failure of the fork mount lug. These are all competition bikes that cost at most $7,800 (less than MSRP for a BMW 650). Of course none of these guys were riding nearly as hard and fast as AntiqueWidow was riding. I heard she was pounding her new bike WFO at the Erzberg rodeo and was leading the pro class for 95 miles before the front wheel broke the F#&! off!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #163
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
For those asking re other damage to the machine

There is no damage on the LHS, on the RHS there is scratching to the plastic cover over the fuel tank, fuel tank itself, exhaust cover, foot peg, brake lever and hand guard. Both RHS indicators are broken.

As a matter of interest on the effectiveness of the BMW crash bars, did these take any impact?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #164
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
No visible damage to the crash bars on the pic I looked at

The machine appears to have slid on the exhaust / fuel tank covers, foot peg & hand guard / bar end

Seems typical of a high side with the bars & rear coming round to the right & sliding head first

Very minimal damage all up suggesting a very short slide to a halt
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #165
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron90068 View Post
AW: So sorry to learn about the fork failure on your bike. It seems that you are very lucky that the situation wasn't a great deal worse. Can you tell me when your bike was made (as you may know, the VIN sticker is on the frame just below the handlebars on the right side). I ask because my week-old 2011 G650GS, with 96 miles on the clock, was made in February 2011 according to the date code (0211) on the sticker. Thank you, and I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

mine says 1110