Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #166
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
To the 2010 & 2011 G650GS owners. I am curious as to what numbers are on your forks. If at all possible could you take pics of them & post em in the thread. You can look at the link below in the fork check thread to see what the numbers look like.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=63

I recieved a PM from a owner with a question on my fork numbers. His fork markings are:
L: 9480604 (on sticker) and 7726769 (likely the part number cast into the metal) and R: 9480604 (on sticker) and 7726770.

My numbers on my forks run down not across, (as shown in the pictures). The numbers casted in my forks are:
Right - 772670 & left one is 7726769. The sticker on each fork says 9477967.

I tried to get a photo of mine , but I cant get a good angle on them right now.. I will try later and post it.

Also in the email was a question on my Production date and Vin plate date.

Their production date was 12/10 while their vin plate says 1110
MY production date is 11/10 & my vin plate says 1110

Thanks just figured I would share this piece of info, since I am getting alot of PMs on it.
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #167
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
No visible damage to the crash bars on the pic I looked at

The machine appears to have slid on the exhaust / fuel tank covers, foot peg & hand guard / bar end

Seems typical of a high side with the bars & rear coming round to the right & sliding head first

Very minimal damage all up suggesting a very short slide to a halt
Glad Im didnt buy them then as they are obviously of no use in low speed crash especially if they didnt touch the ground!
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #168
RedRam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Antiquewidow, I sincerely hope you are doing well, and things work out to your satisfaction. As an owner of an early F650, (Funduro era), I'm interested in this as other owners would be. I've got around 50000 miles on mine so far. I'm really sorry to hear of this, because to me it leans toward a manufacturing defect.

The only thing that really bugs me in this entire thread, (and others) is the brand bashing. If anyone thinks this doesn't happen all too often with just about everything that is mass produced, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Some companies are just better at hiding their tracks, (or pay out more $$$$).

I personally know of two incidents involving well known Japanese brands, that had catastrophic failures. One spontaneously combusted and turned into a glob of melted plastic, (at speed), being no fault of the owner. (The scorch marks in the asphalt can still be seen 4yrs later) The other had a weld break that held the rear shock to the frame sending my friend, on a turn, into the trees, breaking his leg in several places, and now has pins, and a limp for the rest of his life. The company quickly offered him a new frame for his bike. (You think they had that problem before? Ya Think?) Its tied up in litigation now and probably will be, unfortunatly for years. Both of these incidents involved fairly new bikes.

Would that keep me from ever buying that brand? Not really. Check the NHTSA recalls for just about any brand-you might be suprised . OK, rant over....

I hope BMW steps up and takes care of this to YOUR satisfaction, and not theirs. Be safe, but keep riding.

I'll now take my flaming off the air

RedRam screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 05:51 PM
RedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #169
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
RedRam

Rest assured the funduro era machines are not affected in any way, only the GS machines

All failures until now were confined to the F650GS built between 1999 and Sept 2002
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #170
RedRam
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
RedRam

Rest assured the funduro era machines are not affected in any way, only the GS machines

All failures until now were confined to the F650GS built between 1999 and Sept 2002

Thanks for that Wayne. I didn't think the old ones were affected, but you never know.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #171
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRam View Post
Antiquewidow, I sincerely hope you are doing well, and things work out to your satisfaction. As an owner of an early F650, (Funduro era), I'm interested in this as other owners would be. I've got around 50000 miles on mine so far. I'm really sorry to hear of this, because to me it leans toward a manufacturing defect.

The only thing that really bugs me in this entire thread, (and others) is the brand bashing. If anyone thinks this doesn't happen all too often with just about everything that is mass produced, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Some companies are just better at hiding their tracks, (or pay out more $$$$).

I personally know of two incidents involving well known Japanese brands, that had catastrophic failures. One spontaneously combusted and turned into a glob of melted plastic, (at speed), being no fault of the owner. (The scorch marks in the asphalt can still be seen 4yrs later) The other had a weld break that held the rear shock to the frame sending my friend, on a turn, into the trees, breaking his leg in several places, and now has pins, and a limp for the rest of his life. The company quickly offered him a new frame for his bike. (You think they had that problem before? Ya Think?) Its tied up in litigation now and probably will be, unfortunatly for years. Both of these incidents involved fairly new bikes.

Would that keep me from ever buying that brand? Not really. Check the NHTSA recalls for just about any brand-you might be suprised . OK, rant over....

I hope BMW steps up and takes care of this to YOUR satisfaction, and not theirs. Be safe, but keep riding.

I'll now take my flaming off the air
I have read a few stories online where it has happened to other brands too. Infact a friend of mine owns a HD and his are showa forks too - atleast thats what he said.
I feel whatever the cause of my incident it should never of happened. My bike supposedly passed the NYS inspection? which I thought the suspension is part of, but I could be wrong.
I dont understand the mechanical end of what did or should of broke first during my accident - I just know it has happened on a brand new bike with 95 miles and I am trying to figure out why or how it could of happened in the first place.

I really loved my BMW, infact everytime I go into my garage I want to cry because it tears my heart apart just seeing it. Yet on the other hand I have lost all of my confidence in the bike for what has happened to me. It was a very traumatic experience for me both physically & mentally.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #172
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=RedRam;16306159 . OK, rant over....

[/QUOTE]

thats okay - I rant & babble too
Old 07-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #173
Fulldeck
noob

Oddometer: 116
2011 BMW G650GS Fork failure

Hi Antiquewidow,

I sincerely hope your injuries are mending well and that your pain and discomfort are reducing.

I'm a newbie as well with very similar circumstances to you (took me over 30 years to finally get a bike of my own !) so I can certainly relate to where you are right now. Don't lose sight of how long it took you to get your bike and the personal sacrifice you made to get there. Stay strong, inspired to succeed and follow your dreams and desires. This is a bump (albeit a nasty one) in the road. Don't lose heart, as soon as your injuries allow it, get back on a bike soon and get your self confidence back. My main inspiration was reading a quote from Mark Twain.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Keep your dream alive and best of luck to a safe and exciting future on your bike.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” (Mark Twain)
Fulldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #174
RedRam
Adventurer

I can't begin to imagine how this must have affected you. I know I would be so mad that I ........ well let's leave it at that. And especially with a new bike. If it would happen on one of my old bikes, I guess they'd laugh at me all the way to Starbuck's.

But do keep us posted, would really like to see how this turns out
Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #175
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,980
Antique Widow,

I hope you are well on your way to mending both physically and mentally, not that you are mental LOL

Have you had any response from your dealer? Have you had any contact yet with BMW USA? Just wondering if they are stepping up to the plate to take care of you.

Happy Independence Day to you and best of luck with this situation.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #176
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Antique Widow,

I hope you are well on your way to mending both physically and mentally, not that you are mental LOL

Have you had any response from your dealer? Have you had any contact yet with BMW USA? Just wondering if they are stepping up to the plate to take care of you.

Happy Independence Day to you and best of luck with this situation.

Rick G

Nope no word from the dealer yet. Which doesnt surprise me.

I am sure BMW USA has heard of my incident and the dealership has all my contact info. But no word from BMW USA either. I havent contacted BMW USA as of yet and hope to by this coming weeks end. Not that I think they will reply or anything.

I will definately keep everyone posted on whats happening.

I am trying to mend both physically & mentally. I appreciate all the support, ideas, info and caring I have received on this thread. It makes a tough day a bit easier.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #177
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Fulldeck;16308318]
I absolutely love this quote you put on from Mark Twain :

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Old 07-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #178
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,155
I'm so sorry this happened to you. When you're a relatively new rider, having a setback like this doesn't do wonders for one's confidence. I hope BMW USA makes this right by you.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #179
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquewidow View Post
My bike supposedly passed the NYS inspection? which I thought the suspension is part of, but I could be wrong.
The NY state inspection would be meaningless for something like what happened to you. The NY state inspection basically just makes sure your lights and horn work, your tires aren't worn out, and the engine starts. That's it.

It does not include deep metallurgical analysis.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #180
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
The NY state inspection would be meaningless for something like what happened to you. The NY state inspection basically just makes sure your lights and horn work, your tires aren't worn out, and the engine starts. That's it.

It does not include deep metallurgical analysis.
thanks for the info , i wasnt sure if they had to check the suspension system or what was involved in the inspection of the bike