Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #181
gsyogi
Seeker

Oddometer: 19
Again, I am a returning rider with both a ’11 R1200GS and ’11 G650GS … see my earlier post in this thread (#134). Check your VIN numbers! As I worked my way up the food chain with BMW-USA on this fork matter I was altered to a new recall/bulletin on the G650GS: “Rear Wheel Wear.” As for the forks, BMW-USA refused to acknowledge any issues and directed me to my local dealer. However, the end result of this new "bulletin" is that I will receive a new rear wheel, sprocket carrier and chain from BMW as a warranty repair. I brought this “open bulletin” to my dealer’s attention during my 600 mile service on my new G over the weekend.

First, let me say that I really like my local BMW dealership and am developing good relationships with both sales and service. I rode my little G650GS (in traffic, gulp, at over 55 mph) in to the dealer this Saturday for its 600 mile service (took it in w/579 uneventful, all pavement miles on it). The dealer had already been alerted to my concern over the front fork issue. What follows is the “official” text from my service invoice (ALL CAPS IS THE DEALER’S CONVENTION): CUSTOMER REQUEST WE CHECK FRONT END FOR ANY FATIGUE OR DAMAGE STEERING AND WHEEL ALIGNMENT … INSPECT FRONT FORKS AND FRONT END COMPONENTS. CHECK ALL TORQ SPECTS OF FRONT END AND HANDLE BARS. FRONT END AND SUSPENSION IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED AT THIS TIME. The service manager further advised me that he had not seen any type of front fork failure in the Denver market and would trust himself and/or his family members on this bike. Note: I can’t overstate how much I like the G; however, my (and my wife’s) concern over the recurring fork failures have made me consider other options, i.e. 1) upgrade the front suspension, or 2) upgrade to the '12 F800GS. The service manager provided me with an estimate of $2500-$4000 to upgrade to new forks, depending on how “crazy” (that is a quote) we want to go with the front end. He also indicated that he would have to do significant research to figure out exactly what would be involved with a fork upgrade. I will take a serious $$$ hit if I trade this bike and upgrade to the new ’12 F800; however, I am inclined to do so. I will also be limited to riding my much larger R—which is not what I intended. I wanted to spend most of my miles this year on the G while easing into the R; however, with that having been said, the R is fabulous to ride. I am committed to maturing into an extremely skilled motorcyclist and don’t want riding the R to outpace my skill development—I am now going to keep it extremely reserved until the ’12 F800 arrives. I would appreciate any input on this matter from the other inmates and, of course, I wish aniquewidow a speedy recovery.

As I am the rider that submitted the PM to antiquewidow, I assume it is OK to republish what antiquewidow listed in her earlier post. Can anyone tell me what the bar code stickers referenced in antiquewidow’s post, No. 167 (not the part numbers that are cast into the sliders) mean (i.e. mine say 9480604 and hers are 9477967)? Do they identify a particular batch or casting date or do they denote something else? Any thoughts as to why my VIN plate says 1110 and yet the VIN decoder kicks out a December, 2010 production date? See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquewidow View Post
To the 2010 & 2011 G650GS owners. I am curious as to what numbers are on your forks. If at all possible could you take pics of them & post em in the thread. You can look at the link below in the fork check thread to see what the numbers look like.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=63

I recieved a PM from a owner with a question on my fork numbers. His fork markings are:
L: 9480604 (on sticker) and 7726769 (likely the part number cast into the metal) and R: 9480604 (on sticker) and 7726770.

My numbers on my forks run down not across, (as shown in the pictures). The numbers casted in my forks are:
Right - 772670 & left one is 7726769. The sticker on each fork says 9477967.

I tried to get a photo of mine , but I cant get a good angle on them right now.. I will try later and post it.

Also in the email was a question on my Production date and Vin plate date.

Their production date was 12/10 while their vin plate says 1110
MY production date is 11/10 & my vin plate says 1110

Thanks just figured I would share this piece of info, since I am getting alot of PMs on it.

gsyogi screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 01:58 PM
gsyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #182
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyogi View Post
Can anyone tell me what the bar code stickers referenced in antiquewidow’s post, No. 167 (not the part numbers that are cast into the sliders) mean (i.e. mine say 9480604 and hers are 9477967)? Do they identify a particular batch or casting date or do they denote something else? Any thoughts as to why my VIN plate says 1110 and yet the VIN decoder kicks out a December, 2010 production date? See below:
If you look at the fork it has what I would call a manufacturing date stamp, a small circle with a year in the middle and up to 12 dots around the outside. this will tell you when your fork was made. The actual run of the bike probably doesnt matter as much as the the fork run does. Mine, based on this assumption are 10th month 2010.

I however have no issue with the forks on my G and have no fear that this is a fault of the fork. This break has been caused by the bent axle. The reason for the bent axle however has not been satisfactorily diagnosed.
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #183
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
"This break has been caused by the bent axle. The reason for the bent axle however has not been satisfactorily diagnosed."

So when did the two guys pull up in the black 740i (wearing the black suits and suglasses) to offer you this bit of knowledge?

Did they also tell you that riding a G650 through swamp gas, or perhaps seeing the planet Venus in the night sky might cause catastrophic fork failure?

And people think I'm an asshole... sheesh!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #184
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barance View Post
If you look at the fork it has what I would call a manufacturing date stamp, a small circle with a year in the middle and up to 12 dots around the outside. this will tell you when your fork was made. The actual run of the bike probably doesnt matter as much as the the fork run does. Mine, based on this assumption are 10th month 2010.

I however have no issue with the forks on my G and have no fear that this is a fault of the fork. This break has been caused by the bent axle. The reason for the bent axle however has not been satisfactorily diagnosed.
I suspect that the bent axle is a result of the broken fork and consequent crash. It's tough enough to get an axle into the forks when it's straight, I don't see how you'd actually get it into place if it had a bend in it. Besides, the axle is a substantial chunk of tough steel, whereas the fork slider castings are fairly thin pieces of aluminum.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #185
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
I suspect that the bent axle is a result of the broken fork and consequent crash. It's tough enough to get an axle into the forks when it's straight, I don't see how you'd actually get it into place if it had a bend in it. Besides, the axle is a substantial chunk of tough steel, whereas the fork slider castings are fairly thin pieces of aluminum.
I would agree however the right side of the forks show no contact with the ground in the pictures we have seen.

To bend the axle means it must have something it is bending/straining against, surely? If the fork is broken first, what forces are left apart from hitting the tarmac to bend the axle that much or at all?

I would accept the axle bending as a result of the fork break before hitting the ground if it was the left hand fork that broke as then the pressure and weight is still on the axle.

Here is a pic of a G front end in case anyone thinks the axle is in the centre of the wheel, its not.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #186
Barance
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
"This break has been caused by the bent axle. The reason for the bent axle however has not been satisfactorily diagnosed."

So when did the two guys pull up in the black 740i (wearing the black suits and suglasses) to offer you this bit of knowledge?

Did they also tell you that riding a G650 through swamp gas, or perhaps seeing the planet Venus in the night sky might cause catastrophic fork failure?

And people think I'm an asshole... sheesh!
wow Lexie you must be right , so sorry. I wont post anything here anymore just to please you as obviously no one apart from you can have an opinion.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #187
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Opinions are like assholes...

Every one has one, and I support your right to express yours!

I'm cool with you accepting BMW's explanation of the G650 fork failures.

Do you have any comment about the USAF giving three official versions of what happened at Roswell?

lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #188
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barance View Post
Here is a pic of a G front end in case anyone thinks the axle is in the centre of the wheel, its not.
Barance, do you mean the tire is not centered between the fork tubes?
Doesnt the axle have to be in the center of the rim or wheel?
Just asking.......you kind of confused me....

antiquewidow screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 09:02 PM
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #189
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
We are interested in all the No's stamped on the lower fork sliders

Part No checking suggests the lower sliders up to 2010 were the same as the F's

AntiqueWidow linked to some pics from the two versions of F Series sliders in her post

On them cast into the sliders were the BMW part No & Showa Part No + a 3rd No

It would be good to see some from the G Series 08/09/10/11 to compare

Barance, what year model is the pic you posted ?
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #190
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Just brainstormin'

Could it happen that the right fork locked up, and that caused the stress that bent the axle and broke the too-skimpy casting? Does the right fork slide now (and even if it does, it might have jammed at the time of the break)? The rider might have run over normal road irregularities that felt like nothing unusual, but one locked fork and the offset front wheel made the difference.

Is the axle actually bent, or is the appearance just due to camera angle? Or the wheel bearing cocked in the hub? Or the hub damaged? I'm trying to picture how to bend an axle, and I'm not sure I could do it in a vise with a small sledge hammer (I can bend 'most anything with a big sledge hammer).

For those unwilling to blame BMW and their fork maker, how in the world could a collision with any obstruction hard enough to break the fork fail to damage the wheel rim??? I know, any part can fail, but the failure type and rate is significant.

Antiquewidow, have you decided what you want from BMW? I understand that this is more than stressful. Would you want to avoid the angst of a prolonged legal action? If you decide on a solution that both you and BMW might find fair, you might request a discussion with a factory rep in a conference room at the dealership. If you ask them to buy back the bike, pay your medical bills, and reimburse you for other monetary loss, would that be OK? If they countered that they'll repair your bike at your expense, maybe a minor discount, would that make things better or worse for your stress level before you take the next step to get action? In a legal action, one tactic used by the stronger party (them) is to delay, delay, delay, before they stiff you. All this is very stressful as well, with the real chance of getting nothing. Before you decide to sue, you can always hire a lawyer at an hourly rate to write a demand letter and other minor actions. You can hire your own forensic engineer to examine the casting, and include that finding in the demand letter. It all costs money and takes time. Good luck.
PT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #191
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Nope still no word from the dealer yet. I emailed em on 6/29/2011 with a photo of the bike.

I am sure BMW USA has heard of my incident and the dealership has all my contact info. But no word from BMW USA either. I havent contacted BMW USA as of yet and hope to this coming week. Not that I think they will reply or anything.

I will definately keep everyone posted on whats happening.
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #192
rizzer
no longer bikeless

Oddometer: 56
good to hear the injuries were minor...damn, this reminds me of a thread about a brand new klx250s that had its triples snapped just from falling off its kickstand. just goes to show some bad batches do roll out of QC. including my bro's bike that had a brake failure a couple of week after purchase.

anyways, hope this ends well for you mate!
rizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #193
Rte2Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
All: I'm following this thread with particular interest since my G560GS is just about a week old. For whatever it's worth....
the front tire on my bike certainly seems to be centered between the forks (at least, as close as I can measure it - from the rim to the inside of the forks). I agree that the photo makes it appear otherwise. But, the wheel and the hub are asymmetrical due to the brake and ABS ring on the left side. My bike was built in February 2011 and the forks (at least the right-hand side) - part number 7726770 - were manufactured in Oct 2010. Happily, my front axle appears to be as straight as it can be.
Rte2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #194
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
How does everyone know that Antique Widow's axle is bent on the right side (opposite the disk)? Point me to the post--thanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #195
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
I am totally with PT Rider.

I feel the right fork leg (most probably) locked up, and the rest is the result. Stress on the axle that bent, and snapped off the lug on the right fork.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote