Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #271
Rte2Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thank you for your effort, AW. I think (???) that I am somewhat relieved that the forks on my 2011 G650GS were apparently made in October 2010 (that is, ten dots in the circle). The part numbers are the same as yours (potentially worrisome) but the manufacturing batch would clearly be different.

On a related note, I see that a number of the comments show distain for lugged forks but they are certainly not uncommon - so I wonder why they are so disliked? It seems to me that the design could be made sufficiently robust (whether the BMW/Showa design is, or is not, is a separate issue) but a lot still depends upon the entire manufacturing process, I'd think.
Rte2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #272
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Millions of lugged forks have been made, this particular problem appears to be the result of the rare flaw in casting or machining that normally wouldn't result in catastrophic failure if not for BMW using the absolute minimum level fork specification. Check out the lower legs on virtually any other 250cc+ dirt bike.

BMW knows better, they have just been betting that you didn't.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #273
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron90068 View Post

On a related note, I see that a number of the comments show distain for lugged forks but they are certainly not uncommon - so I wonder why they are so disliked? It seems to me that the design could be made sufficiently robust (whether the BMW/Showa design is, or is not, is a separate issue) but a lot still depends upon the entire manufacturing process, I'd think.
Look at almost any bike with inverted forks, lugged - BUT the wheel/brake calliper mount is machined, not cast.
It's common enough, but in general it's either a lot more solid casting or machined and mounted on the end of the fork, not cast as part of the tube.

The problem isn't that lugged forks are intrinsically bad, but combining them with casting and minimum casting thickness is asking for problems.

Getting perfect castings every time is near impossible and unless you do 100% radiological inspections you'll have some defects sneak through - and the cost of doing inspections is probably higher than the cost of machined lugs.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #274
duitswes
NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer: 287
what other dirt bikes also use AL castings?

What material is used for the TTR 125 fork?

Also, are these forks designed by BMW? Anybody knows? Because if they are Showa's design and manufacture then I am lot more confused.

And there are no known failures from anybody abusing the front suspension? I know the rear can be broken.

No headshake before the failure?

/baffled
duitswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #275
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Wow!

That could have turned out much worse.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #276
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,988
AW,

Hope all is well with you.

Any word from your Dealer or BMW yet? Have you spoken directly with either yet? Are you going to lawyer up?

Your friends here on ADVrider are concerned for you and well we just need to know. We hope it works out well for you.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #277
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron90068 View Post
Thank you for your effort, AW. I think (???) that I am somewhat relieved that the forks on my 2011 G650GS were apparently made in October 2010 (that is, ten dots in the circle). The part numbers are the same as yours (potentially worrisome) but the manufacturing batch would clearly be different.

I'm one of those commenters. I am not opposed to lug mounted axels - only that BMW has had disastrous failures with their design in the past so it's amazing to me that the company would issue another perhaps defective (or borderline) fork of the same design.

Obviously this isn't an inherent issue with lugged forks because as you and others point out (and I know) many people have this design with no issues at all.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #278
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
As a point of info, forks with the axle mounted in front of them have been in use since at least the early '70's. Nothing inherently wrong with this type of design. The fault here appears to be either a manufacturing defect with this particular set of forks or a design flaw with these particluar forks BMW is using. Again, there is nothing inherently wrong with having the axle mounted in front of the forks.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #279
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
The fault here appears to be either a manufacturing defect with this particular set of forks or a design flaw with these particluar forks BMW is using.
You're forgetting the third option: something else altogether unrelated to design or manufacture on one specific bike where little to nothing is known beyond some disturbing photos. Shipping damage, dealer assembly error, undisclosed prior event, prior event unknown to AW (bike presumably didn't have ZERO miles when purchased), and a host of other things could be the root cause.

I'm not advocating a specific point of view (unlike some vocal others on here), I'm just saying that in the absence of evidence and analysis it's all PURE SPECULATION.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #280
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
You're forgetting the third option: something else altogether unrelated to design or manufacture on one specific bike where little to nothing is known beyond some disturbing photos. Shipping damage, dealer assembly error, undisclosed prior event, prior event unknown to AW (bike presumably didn't have ZERO miles when purchased), and a host of other things could be the root cause.

I'm not advocating a specific point of view (unlike some vocal others on here), I'm just saying that in the absence of evidence and analysis it's all PURE SPECULATION.
Granted. I did say "appears"

AW: Glad you weren't seriously hurt. Get well quick.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #281
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:

That is almost word for word my sentiments years ago when reports of the F fork failures started showing up.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #282
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 493
I googled "motorcycle fork failure" and saw that there is a current recall on some KTM dirt bikes for front fork failure. Interestingly, there is a recall even though there are no reported injuries.

http://www.gomotocross.com/content/r...t-fork-failure

It seems this was done through the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Perhaps AW should file a report on their website here:

https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMS...tIncident.aspx
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #283
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
And shockingly BMW hasn't said a damn word about what the cause of the fork failures was!

Is there any doubt in your mind that BMW didn't put a team of top engineers and metallurgists onto this?

I'd bet my left nut that BMW knows exactly why and how the forks failed and has made a cost vs liability issue on what to do about it.

"It's not personal, it's business. Tell Mike it was only business, I always liked him"
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #284
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
I googled "motorcycle fork failure" and saw that there is a current recall on some KTM dirt bikes for front fork failure. Interestingly, there is a recall even though there are no reported injuries.

http://www.gomotocross.com/content/r...t-fork-failure

It seems this was done through the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Perhaps AW should file a report on their website here:

https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMS...tIncident.aspx
NHTSA is the only agency to report to for motorcycles
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #285
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Update talked to dealership the other day - trying to help me resolve incident. Guess they have been in contact with BMW manufacture on issue too.

Meanwhile I am still hanging in there and taking one day at a time.
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote