Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #16
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,099
OK, understood, travelling in straight line, constant throttle, no pressure on front end

Thanks for clarifying, it is appreciated

Firstly, lodge that NHTSA report, secondly ensure plenty of pic's of all the machine showing the damage

I assume you purchased the machine new with insurance, lodge a claim & then advise the dealership you purchased it from of the accident and the damage. They do need to be informed in case there are other riders at risk.

It may be possible there is a batch problem in the forks on the machines being sold at the moment, I take it you only had the machine a few days ?

WayneC1 screwed with this post 06-23-2011 at 05:01 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #17
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thank you for your help.. I have the form to file the complaint. My insurance agent has notified the dealership of my mishap, but the insurance adjuster hasnt been here to see it yet. Few days - yes I just got it on the 8th...Once again thanks
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #18
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

AntiqueWidow

As a new inmate of Advrider, have you set up the PM system to email you when PM's come in ?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #19
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Wayne C - no i havent figure that out yet..I just refreshing my page
Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #20
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Look up the top right at private messages & click on it, then on LHS there is a menu to set up your profile & notifications, it is a good system & helpful
Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #21
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,294
Okay, now I see/know a little more. This is just amazing and scary as hell. I hit 85-90 on mine all day. I hope you just have a bad batch of forks, and it's not some redesign issue with the '11 model year. Didn't they move production in the past year or so?

Damn, I jumped my bike, rode it off-road with some pretty aggressive surfaces, hit potholes at 75mph....well, you get the picture.

Now, if this is a bike failure, make sure your insurance does not take the hit (as in you had an accident - your premium goes up). I would go after BMW for a new bike and gear. I hate it when people sue people, so I'll not even go there, but if the manufacturer screwed up, you should get all new stuff at least.

File the complaint.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Henry Martin - YEAH scary as all hell! Please becareful - I feel like I got hit by a mac truck going slow.. I shutter to think what would happen if someone went fast..

antiquewidow screwed with this post 06-23-2011 at 06:30 AM
Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #23
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,498

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #24
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
I see splatter on the tire, but the inside of the fork looks really really clean.

Was there any suspension fluid inside the fork?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #25
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,498
Looks like oil on the rim & tire in the second picture.

Only 95 miles on the bike.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick

AceRph screwed with this post 06-23-2011 at 06:47 AM Reason: Brand new bike.
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #26
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Didn't they move production in the past year or so?

File the complaint.
IIRC 650 single production was moved to China when it went from an F series to G series to save cost and to maintain a price point.

Glad you weren't hurt anymore than you were. Do file a report with the NHTSA. Do contact your dealer and ask for help. Do contact BMW NA for assistance. Finally and I hate to say it, contact a good lawyer.

BMW needs to step up to the plate on this one.

Please keep us informed of the outcome. I would not want that bike back. A brand new bike that has its forks inspected at the very least. Your insurance should not have to take a hit on this, which it will if you turn it in. This is on BMW.

Just to be sure, as I am sure you will be asked this. Were there any wheelies involved? I am sure as a newbie the answer is no but accidental wheelies from inproper clutch throttle mgt is common.

Good luck!

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #27
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

yes lotsa fluid
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #28
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

as stated i am a newbie n couldnt even tell ya how to perform a wheelie.. i had no throttle thrust it was even ... if that helps..
Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #29
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
IIRC 650 single production was moved to China when it went from an F series to G series to save cost and to maintain a price point.
I don't think it's that cut and dried. Where are Showa forks manufactured?
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #30
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post

Glad you weren't hurt anymore than you were. Do file a report with the NHTSA. Do contact your dealer and ask for help. Do contact BMW NA for assistance. Finally and I hate to say it, contact a good lawyer.

BMW needs to step up to the plate on this one.

Please keep us informed of the outcome. I would not want that bike back. A brand new bike that has its forks inspected at the very least. Your insurance should not have to take a hit on this, which it will if you turn it in. This is on BMW.

Just to be sure, as I am sure you will be asked this. Were there any wheelies involved? I am sure as a newbie the answer is no but accidental wheelies from inproper clutch throttle mgt is common.

Good luck!

Rick G
The motor assembly was moved to China, not the bike (at least on my 09), parts were shipped to China, engine assembled, then shipped to Germany to be put in the frame. Those should be Showa forks, IIRC.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote