Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #31
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
The motor assembly was moved to China, not the bike (at least on my 09), parts were shipped to China, engine assembled, then shipped to Germany to be put in the frame. Those should be Showa forks, IIRC.
I stand corrected.

Note to the OP, I only mentioned the wheelie aspect as I am certain you will be asked during the investigation and the fact that unintentional wheelies are very common among newer riders due to improper clutch / throttle management. I know as I did it myself the first time I merged onto a highway and scared the shit out of myself. I am not trying to say that you intentionally wheelied. Only asked if it happened and by your reply I have to assume that no wheelies occured prior to the failure.

It is unfortunate but the initial reaction from BMW will probably be, "What did you do to cause this?" It is the nature of the litigous society we live in. Deflect blame onto others. Only accept responsibility when there is no other option.

Good luck,

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #32
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
no problem on the wheelie thing, I just wanted to note that it wasnt thats all....thanks
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #33
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,386
That should buff right out. Hope all gets taken care of and you get heal quick.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #34
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
You need to get with the people who had the failure on the earlier models, that looks like exactly the same thing.

That's very, very, bad news for BMW and anyone riding one of those bikes, because now they are all suspect.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #35
lemieuxmc
Banned

I did a search and found this;

Crash in Destruction Bay

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371650

It is easy check which forks you have courtesy of the composite pic from squarewheels. The only known failures are the old style

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7633376&postcount=92

The forks on the left are the old type, the forks on the right are the new type. Both have the same BMW Part No.

The interesting part is we are not sure when the new type were introduced into production. Initially it was thought June 2003 but we now know of one machine built December 2002 with the newer style strengthened fork legs.

Thanks to the posts here we seem to have narrowed the changeover to Oct 2002.

You can check the production date of any BMW by decoding the VIN and there is a handy web site available to do so.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

It would be of assistance if people could post the results into this thread to narrow the production range of the machines with the earlier casting. Only post the production date and which type of casting the machine has

It would also be prudent for owners of machines with old style castings to refer any concerns they may have to BMW to satisfy themselves of the safety of these castings.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #36
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,227
Man, I sure hate to see this shit again - especially on a brand new bike. Glad you weren't hurt badly. Hopefully this will wake BMW up and get them to at least acknowledge the problem. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #37
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
Hmmm wow, same as the old failures... but with the newer design forks.
Not good. I kind of suspect that the old failures too were flaws in the casting process.

See what happens.
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #38
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
What's with that dark spot at the bottom right of the break? Could that have been the weak spot where the trouble started here?

My F650GS was manufactured in 03/01, with the original (weaker) style forks. For the first couple of years that I had the bike I weighed over 250 pounds. I abused the hell out of them until two years ago when I upgraded to Kayaba USD forks from a Yamaha dirt bike. I agree that there is likely to be a manufacturing rather than a design flaw.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #39
lemieuxmc
Banned

Post a photo of your bike with the Yamaha forks please, I like that idea!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #40
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Post a photo of your bike with the Yamaha forks please, I like that idea!
There are a bunch of us who did this conversion, there's a thread on it in the 'Thumpers' board.

JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #41
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thanks for all the info... will keep all informed as i go.... I hope I heal fast too cuz this is not enjoyable.. And to think I quite smoking and rewarded myself by getting my license and buying a BMW bike.
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #42
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Pissed Yikes!!!!!

Wow, this is scary

To ride a bike you have to have confidence in it.
Will you be able to ride your bike, or a replacement bike with confidence?

Like flying a plane where the main spar in the wing has broken on another one of the same model. A new one. In smooth air. Terrifying...

That type of breakage should NEVER happen not matter how much a rider abused the bike beyond what it is designed for.
But your bike is designed to be ridden off the smooth paved roads where it will be jumped and ridden hard so it is designed to take a lot.

I would be quite wary of riding my bike if I had the same model.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #43
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquewidow View Post
Thanks for all the info... will keep all informed as i go.... I hope I heal fast too cuz this is not enjoyable.. And to think I quite smoking and rewarded myself by getting my license and buying a BMW bike.
Sorry to hear this. I examined the failed forks on the "Destruction Bay" bike, but unfortunately was unable to determine the real reason for the failure.

I forwarded the pieces to another metallurgist who specializes in aluminum (I'm more into steel and superalloys), and he felt it was a casting/manufacturing/design problem.

When I first heard of the Dest. Bay fracture I thought it would be easy, that I'd find evidence of fatigue cracking--which is easy to find on alum. But no such luck. No fatigue crack evidence at all. Without a physical exam, I am nevertheless near positive that fatigue cracking is NOT involved in your forks.

Fat. cracks are usually slow growing--not the case for these forks. They "appear" to be castings, and alum. castings are well known to be on the brittle side.

I think the fracture started at that black spot (probably a casting defect that went ALMOST thru wall--could be factory-applied black fork paint in a casting defect), and the bottom of the crack is where the stress would be highest--the axle is trying to lift AND rotate the attachment point.

Brittle fractures happen very fast, with NO advance warning. There are many casting problems that could be involved here. I'd bet a bunch that BMW knows exactly what the problem is--why some forks can survive lots of "abuse", while other have what is known as "infant failure".

I'm camping way up on a mountain just south of Prescott, AZ, so am unable to check in as often as I wish I could.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #44
harryhammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquewidow View Post
get well soon, ps. did you want a cig after you got out of er, i know i would have
harryhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #45
lemieuxmc
Banned

Good to hear from you Benesesso!

I thought your analysis and discussion of the earlier BMW fork problem was fascinating. I think that this is a GIGANTIC problem for BMW!

I would sure be pissed off if I just dropped over 8 large on a new bike and suspected that the front wheel might break off at any moment.