User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #61
rizzer OP
no longer bikeless

Oddometer: 56
FUUUCK!!! I just lost my front forks!!!

kept it in the trunk of my car and when the wife went to the car wash, she took it down and left it there...and this was about a month ago so it's long gone now

NEVER trust the missus with your bike parts!!!!!!
rizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #62
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzer View Post
FUUUCK!!! I just lost my front forks!!!

kept it in the trunk of my car and when the wife went to the car wash, she took it down and left it there...and this was about a month ago so it's long gone now

NEVER trust the missus with your bike parts!!!!!!
damn that sucks! I don't leave the missus alone with any of the herd- next thing I know they'd be on the front lawn with 'free to good home' signs on 'em!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #63
loncin
n00b

Oddometer: 5
trials

Hi guys what a great site,i have just built a trials bike special, yamaha DT chopped frame,loncin big bore 110cc pit bike engine, folks shortened 3 inches, swinging arm lengthened 2.5 inches to tale 400x18 tyre,52 tooth rear sprocket, but may have to go bigger, had the first ride today & its very good just a few bits to fettle,
loncin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #64
loncin
n00b

http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w371/loncin/ here are some photes,
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #65
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by loncin View Post
Hi guys what a great site,i have just built a trials bike special, yamaha DT chopped frame,loncin big bore 110cc pit bike engine, folks shortened 3 inches, swinging arm lengthened 2.5 inches to tale 400x18 tyre,52 tooth rear sprocket, but may have to go bigger, had the first ride today & its very good just a few bits to fettle,
Cutting the down tube out of the frame probably isn't a good idea. I don't know if the engineers design the frame to be strong enough without the down tube and then add it just for motor mounting points and protection, but probably not.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #66
loncin
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
Cutting the down tube out of the frame probably isn't a good idea. I don't know if the engineers design the frame to be strong enough without the down tube and then add it just for motor mounting points and protection, but probably not.
The top tube is38mm, extra plates on the yoke suport and just under the tanks and extra 25 tube from the cut off point to the back under the seat, you would have to put a truck on it to bend it, and its only for light trials work,
Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #67
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Oh good. Sounds like you have it covered.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #68
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm curious - why not use the original DT engine?

What is the total weight of the finished project?
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #69
loncin
n00b

the original dt was only 50 cc and automatic so not much good, the final weight i dont know yet as i am still doing bits to it,next job is to move the foot pegs back, nearer to the rear wheel , and also a bigger rear sprocket gone from 38 to 52, now going to try 64 try and get it softer and slower still got loads of torque,
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #70
loncin
n00b

Well got the foot pegs moved back and up so it more stable now, new rear sprocket on it way 64 tooth this time so should take some of the snap out of it and be alot slower,
Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #71
rizzer OP
no longer bikeless

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...but I'm FINALLY starting to build one...good to see the enthusiasm, so let's not let this thread sink :)

Quote:
Well got the foot pegs moved back and up so it more stable now, new rear sprocket on it way 64 tooth this time so should take some of the snap out of it and be alot slower,
Hi Loncin! Could you post pics of your bike? would be great to learn from what you've accomplished.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realize there was a link to your photobucket...nice build man! any action pics?

rizzer screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 10:57 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #72
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,120
i bought this chinese bike a few years back for $700 which a guy had converted for trials and even added a sidecar.

only got three rides on it then sold it as no one i knew back then was interested in trials riding. he did a pretty good job and it was probably better than most twin shocks but not as good as the early mono shock models. extremely economical and had an electric start to boot! his build thread is here.

this was the original bike, an x-moto xb31 mini bike.

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #73
rizzer OP
no longer bikeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
i bought this chinese bike a few years back for $700 which a guy had converted for trials and even added a sidecar.

only got three rides on it then sold it as no one i knew back then was interested in trials riding. he did a pretty good job and it was probably better than most twin shocks but not as good as the early mono shock models. extremely economical and had an electric start to boot! his build thread is here.
Thanks B1! I'm also going into the "chop" route. I'm trying to spend the least I can and fabricate as little as possible.

Chopped the subframe shorter and didn't fabricate a new lower subframe. I hope it wasn't a bad decision...and it'll still be a twin shock as the original donor bike is.

18-21 excel rims I had collecting dust. a Yamaha DT tank, that I hope it isn't too big, might chop it down later if it is. Or maybe a couple of rounds with a hammer might do.

But for the time being it'll be on motocross knobbies that I had laying around. can't cough out the cash for new trials tires just yet.

No pics for now, but when I do, I'll post them up.

BTW, I had to find ways to get approval from the wife since I just picked up 3 bikes last year. She didn't like the idea of spending so much on bikes that don't get ridden much. So I sold one bike, and I told her "I'm gonna build a trials bike for you!" So far, the plan is working great. lights are green and she's even enthusiastic
Old 02-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #74
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 969
Love messing around with and building hybrids. Have done that several times. It's fun. But if you haven't spent much time on a trials bike and just want to make one out of, say a small dual sport, you are skipping a step. This is why some above said to just get a trials bike.

Significant time on a trials bike, pushing at learning techniques, will change how you think and how your ride any bike. It will forever alter your preferences.

Once you have built experience on a trials bike, it will make you much better and setting up and riding ANY motorcycle. You'll be able to go up and over things without a lot of throttle, spastic clutch, ditch digging, mayhem and crashing. Your fast-riding buddies will scratch their heads and say, "How'd you do that?"

motobene screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 01:43 PM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #75
rizzer OP
no longer bikeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Love messing around with and building hybrids. Have done that several times. It's fun. But if you haven't spent much time on a trials bike and just want to make one out of, say a small dual sport, you are skipping a step. This is why some above said to just get a trials bike.

Significant time on a trials bike, pushing at learning techniques, will change how you think and how your ride any bike. It will forever alter your preferences.

Once you have built experience on a trials bike, it will make you much better and setting up and riding ANY motorcycle. You'll be able to go up and over things without a lot of throttle, spastic clutch, ditch digging, mayhem and crashing. Your fast-riding buddies will scratch their heads and say, "How'd you do that?"
Yea, I caught that point
But for the time being, building a cheapo project is all I got. believe me, I'm tempted to pick up a proper trials bike, but the price is just outrageous...Gas gas TXT's are around $13-15 grand down here. Used ones go for at least $5 grand. Ossa just came on shore, but I doubt it'd be any cheaper...none of the japs makers sell trials bikes out here... There is the Gasgas Randonne though, but I dunno, I just think I'll grow out of it too soon...It happened to a couple of enduro bike projects/purchases I've done in the past.

So from those options, I'll settle for a frankenstein bike.

Who knows, my luck might turn out and I'll have THAT much cash to burn...amen