Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,131
Kaberle is gone and I wont miss him Joe Corvo will at least be able to match his play in Boston. I hope we keep Ryder though, he might not be the best in the regular season but he always comes through during the playoffs.

Edit: I'm out of it for a little bit recovering from surgery and the Bruins got rid of Ryder WTF guys! I know he doesn't help you get into the playoffs but with the team going on the ice this year that shouldn't be an issue...the guy comes through when we need it!

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 07-05-2011 at 11:47 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Kaberle is gone and I wont miss him Joe Corvo will at least be able to match his play in Boston. I hope we keep Ryder though, he might not be the best in the regular season but he always comes through during the playoffs.

Edit: I'm out of it for a little bit recovering from surgery and the Bruins got rid of Ryder WTF guys! I know he doesn't help you get into the playoffs but with the team going on the ice this year that shouldn't be an issue...the guy comes through when we need it!
I'm not going to miss Kaberle, as he didn't deliver as expected at all. I liked Ryder, especially after his playoff heroics. But he was a 4 mil hit, and was a non factor in the regular season. I hope you are recovering ok...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I'm not going to miss Kaberle, as he didn't deliver as expected at all. I liked Ryder, especially after his playoff heroics. But he was a 4 mil hit, and was a non factor in the regular season. I hope you are recovering ok...
Yup starting to feel somewhat human again, thanks.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #19
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
I am marking down the days on my calendar for the start of the season. I'm super excited about Larrson, our draft pick this year. We've lost too many great defensemen these past years, and it's good to see some young talent coming in.

And it doesn't hurt to have this guy....
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post

Kaberle is never missed and you won't either.. He's not much of a notch above bum. Never been a fan of his. To bad the guy got his name on the cup though. A lot more worthy players don't. Corvo is a good pick-up.

Too bad to see Ryder go to a southern team. He could certainly bring another team a cup, but too bad for him it won't be Dallas. The guys thrives in big hockey markets and the playoffs.

Lots of movement all over the league. I really hope Winnepeg does well.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
ike6116
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Kaberle is never missed and you won't either.. He's not much of a notch above bum. Never been a fan of his. To bad the guy got his name on the cup though. A lot more worthy players don't. Corvo is a good pick-up.

Too bad to see Ryder go to a southern team. He could certainly bring another team a cup, but too bad for him it won't be Dallas. The guys thrives in big hockey markets and the playoffs.

Lots of movement all over the league. I really hope Winnepeg does well.
I would never have given Ryder a contract north of 3 million. Solid move by PC.

Ill never forget that glove save he made though.
ike6116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #22
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 662
Okay I know it is summer

But this thread needs a bump (or would a check be more appropriate). Anyway it looks like Ken Holland followed my advice and brought in Ty Conklin to backup Jimmy Howard (if anyone can get me a gig as an NHL GM let me know, ). in other wings news two retirements, Kris Draper, and Chris Osgood. It does make me a little sad to see the last member of "the grind line" go, but it was time. It's not bad though, as some of our younger guys can get some more ice, as we have kind of had a log jam on forwards for a couple of years now. As far as Osgood goes, I'm kind of glad he is done as I have not always been a fan of his. But now the HOF debate begins for him. As far as I'm concerned I just don't think he is/was ever a HOF caliber goalie. Yes that may make some of my fellow wings fans angry. Many of them will point to his 3 cups (2 as a starter) and 400 wins and say those are surefire HOF numbers. But lets be honest here, during his career he was never a dominating goalie. There were always better goalies the him in that time, and many wings fans during his career would have happily traded a kidney or something to get a better goalie. Yes occasionally he would stand on his head, but more often would let in a soft goal at a bad time. So no HOF for Osgood if I was voting.
One last thing that's not wings related. I was damn near on the floor laughing when I saw how much the sharks gave Burns. It's a lot of money to spend on a D man when they probably could have stolen a traffic cone that would have done the job better for less.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #23
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
One last thing that's not wings related. I was damn near on the floor laughing when I saw how much the sharks gave Burns. It's a lot of money to spend on a D man when they probably could have stolen a traffic cone that would have done the job better for less.
That contract is exactly why Wild fans like myself were grudgingly happy with the trade - he has the same agent as Gaborik, and it seemed unlikely they would have agreed to a reasonable deal.

He's been good when healthy, but one all-star year doesn't seem to justify a five-year, 5.75mil deal.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #24
wingnut11
generally strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
That contract is exactly why Wild fans like myself were grudgingly happy with the trade - he has the same agent as Gaborik, and it seemed unlikely they would have agreed to a reasonable deal.

He's been good when healthy, but one all-star year doesn't seem to justify a five-year, 5.75mil deal.
It certainly doesn't, he may be good when healthy. But never really good and by no means great. I have read some things that have called Burns an elite level defenseman, and I think that's hogwash. One good year and all of a sudden he's an elite player? Elite compared to what? A pack of midgets in a circus clown car? It's certainly another example of over spending on mediocre free agents this summer. Part of it is due to the lack of talent that was available this summer. Seriously though, how is Burns making about a million less than Lidstrom? It's ridiculous, I Know the wings hardly ever pay market price for free agents. But really 5.75 mil a year! How much will this cost Nashville for Weber or L.A. for Doughty? I don't see it as a good move by Doug Wilson. How much longer can he keep his job? How many more early exits will the sharks suffer before a real roster revamp. Or before they get a new GM.

One last thing lets hope Mr. Heatly knows how to call a cab these days.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #25
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

The Islanders will be moving it looks like....public funds were denied for the new stadium so they are trying to get private investors which I doubt will happen. The team has nothing exciting going on and in 2015 they are gone, I'm thinking:

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #26
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
But really 5.75 mil a year! How much will this cost Nashville for Weber or L.A. for Doughty? I don't see it as a good move by Doug Wilson. How much longer can he keep his job? How many more early exits will the sharks suffer before a real roster revamp. Or before they get a new GM.
The cap went up quite a bit this year, which made it easier to throw money around. Hell, the Rolston / Hunter trade was simply a salary swap to get the Islanders up to the floor.

Among all-star defensemen last year:

Zdeno Chara: 8.5
Duncan Keith: 8.0
Dan Boyle: 6.7
Nick Lidstrom: 6.2
Keith Yandle: 5.3
Dustin Byfuglien: 5.2
Mike Green: 5.0
Shea Weber: 4.5
Marc Staal: 3.7
Kris Letang: entry contract
Erik Karlsson: entry contract

Assuming the cap goes up over the life of burns' five-year deal, it isn't that out of line. But I do think they over spent.

Quote:
One last thing lets hope Mr. Heatley knows how to call a cab these days.
That was what, ten years ago? I don't see any reason to continue bringing that up in casual conversation.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #27
wingnut11
generally strange

So I'll say my bit about it and then I will not bring it up anymore. Unless of course it happens again. But I have an extreme disdain for that particular behavior. I also do not think that he was appropriately punished for the incident. I know it was a long time ago and people do make mistakes. But I have found that in my life experience that people who drive drunk rarely learn from their mistake. As a result I have no qualms about saying I do NOT want him operating any vehicle on any public road here.
Now back to hockey.
We can't assume that the cap will continue to go up, or the small market owners will be in the same situation as before the NHL had a salary cap. In my opinion it's about a $1.5 mil overpayment. Part of that opinion of course is that I don't think he is really much of an all star. Last years all star game seemed to me like they tried to get someone from almost every team. Most likely for marketing reasons rather than actual player performance.
As long as I'm all over the map today I'll blab a bit about the jets. I'm glad they have a team again. One of my uncles used to live in Winnipeg when I was a kid, and so I have some vague memories of watching jets hockey when visiting (they moved to Vancouver long before the jets left, and who could blame them). I hope that once realignment happens they can build a nice geographic rivalry with MN.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #28
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
I hope that once realignment happens they can build a nice geographic rivalry with MN.
my realignment dream is:

Wpg
Min
Chi
StL
Cbs

I could reasonably drive to any of those, and if the high-speed-rail dream ever comes to fruition, make it to Chi and StL in a heartbeat.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #29
Mr.Meh
Turd In A Punchbowl

Oddometer: 252
I have the utmost faith that my Avalanche won't not suck this year. That's okay though, there are three other Colorado pro teams!

Let's see how those Rockies are doing..... Damn.

Let's see how the Broncos look to shape up...... Damn.

Let's take a look at the Nugget's prospects.... damn.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #30
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meh View Post

Let's take a look at the Nugget's prospects.... damn.
Prospects? Hard to judge prospects when they won't be playing until 2012.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: