Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #901
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Yes it's true, I watched the press conference this morning. Nick Lidstrom is done playing. It is not just a sad day for wings fans, but for all fans of hockey.
+1

He left at the top of his game.

I wonder if the realization that the Wings probably aren't going deep into playoffs for
awhile and wanting to retire as a Wing had any bearing on his decision?

Here's some info on the news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-sta...PwsQ5KbSg5nYcB

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon

bobobob screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 02:06 PM
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #902
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 667
He did leave at the top of his game. I think maybe it might have more to do with the ankle injury he had late this season. As sad as it makes me to say it, after that he wasn't quite up his level of playing. I think he knew that better than anyone, and realized that he will only get more prone to injury as he gets older. He knows he had nothing left to prove, and honestly I think he misses home. With all that why not retire? He will be remembered as the greatest defenseman of his generation (or maybe two). Some might even argue ever. So what next for him?

Hall of fame....check
Retired number..... check
Good gig in Wings front office.....if he wants it (I think if he does it will be something with scouting in europe,)

What is next for the Wings?
It seems obvious that they will be a bidder for Ryan Suter, and it will be a big offer. I imagine it will be truckloads of bags bursting with $100 dollar bills, and all the Little Caesars you can ever eat. Everything else the Wings do over the summer will depend on what happens with this.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #903
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,760
Holy fucksickle....

Quote:
BOSTON—Tim Thomas, who has emerged as one of the NHL's top goaltenders despite an unorthodox style in hockey and in life, has told the Boston Bruins that he is thinking about sitting out next season -- apparently for family reasons, general manager Peter Chiarelli said Friday.

"The reason why, I'm not exactly sure. But he did give some reasons regarding family," Chiarelli told reporters in a conference call originally scheduled to discuss the contract extension of forward Daniel Paille. "As of right now, I'm operating under the premise that he will take a year off."
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ng_a_year_off/
Schatzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #904
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,841
The Dominator wants to come out of retirement.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632862

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #905
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzman View Post

Something smells fishy here. Did they threaten to trade him in the backroom and he is refusing a trade? His kids are all young, so it is not the moving them in high school thing. Hope no one is sick. Could just be his agent posturing for the contract extension too. They are learning from the more carnivorous sports.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #906
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,429
Both of Thomas' parents are in very poor health, and that may be a reason why. He's played his last game as a Bruin, I'll bet. Time for Rask to step up.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #907
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Something smells fishy here. Did they threaten to trade him in the backroom and he is refusing a trade? His kids are all young, so it is not the moving them in high school thing. Hope no one is sick. Could just be his agent posturing for the contract extension too. They are learning from the more carnivorous sports.
The fucked up part is the Bruins have to eat the cap hit unless he retires. They don't pay him, but still lose 5 million in cap space. If he retired and Savard went on long term IR, that would give them 9 million in cap space. I know he moved the family to Colorado mid season. 9 million in cap space is more then enough to cover Rick Nash. I hope he mans up and retires. Playing this little game of trying to fuck them over is BS.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #908
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
The fucked up part is the Bruins have to eat the cap hit unless he retires. They don't pay him, but still lose 5 million in cap space. If he retired and Savard went on long term IR, that would give them 9 million in cap space. I know he moved the family to Colorado mid season. 9 million in cap space is more then enough to cover Rick Nash. I hope he mans up and retires. Playing this little game of trying to fuck them over is BS.
Offer him the golden parachute. Here is $5mil to retire, now go away, if that is the issue. No cap hit and they can even do it as deferred comp. There is more here than that. He does not seem like a vindictive guy by nature. Having followed him since he was at UVM. Always smiling.... More is coming out on this. Chiarella can't keep his mouth shut, it will come out.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #909
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Offer him the golden parachute. Here is $5mil to retire, now go away, if that is the issue. No cap hit and they can even do it as deferred comp. There is more here than that. He does not seem like a vindictive guy by nature. Having followed him since he was at UVM. Always smiling.... More is coming out on this. Chiarella can't keep his mouth shut, it will come out.
I am reserving judgement, but think about what 5 million extra in cap from him plus 4 million for Savard on long term IR would do. So thats 9 million right there. Trade Krejci and then some to get Nash. Nash is 7 million. That means the trade alone to get Nash could wash his contract price. That leaves 9 million free. That is Zach Parise money
Old 06-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #910
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,506
I want to heat that uncensored rant dammit, you can't hire Milbury and then muzzle him

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #911
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Not to take away from the OT about to happen, but has anybody seen Tim Thomas's Facebook page today? Holy fuck he has gone off the deep end.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #912
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Not to take away from the OT about to happen, but has anybody seen Tim Thomas's Facebook page today? Holy fuck he has gone off the deep end.

What's facebook?

I am loving this game....
Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #913
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,077
Goal!!

Everybody seems to forget the Kings have only lost two games in the whole tournament.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #914
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Hmmmm,,,,

I may have been wrong. The Kings may take it in 4.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #915
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,305
whoooo

Carter owns and skates half their real estate before beating Brodeur blocker side.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: