User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,202
I used to run on the road, all the time. It was a gradual process, over the years I migrated more and more off-road. Now, it's 100% trails. I like it that way, I think it's much more healthy, less shock on foot impact, more variability in terrain decreases injuries from repetitive motion, and better exercise in the end, more and steeper hills. I couldn't imagine running a road marathon again.

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697

Skowinski screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 06:59 PM Reason: had to add a word!
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #32
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,841
Im doing the Green Jewel 50K, think its put on by the Western Reserve Trail runners. Ive been meeting more and more Ohio People from doing the Barkcamp Trail race. Seems like Ohio has a pretty good trail running scene. :)

greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
Whic Race are you doing? I have been running for the last 2 months, and really love trails. Spent Sunday volunteering at the run for Regis 50k trail race, while my wife ran it. (tied for first female). There is a trail in the Cleveland area called the dirty run trail series that I am planning on doing. Have fun
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #33
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,106
Living in Tucson, I was running lots. Big, active dog + not feeling the cycling = run thru the desert. Dog was good for about 5-6mi then he'd poop out. I was consistently running 8-10mi runs.

Moved back to VA where I can hop out the back door, hop on a bicycle, and not see the same road twice = I haven't run a step in over a year. I'd have to drive to go running. I have the same feelings about that as I do driving to go riding.

I still wanna do an off-road 50k, but not any time soon!

M
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #34
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Living in Tucson, I was running lots. Big, active dog + not feeling the cycling = run thru the desert. Dog was good for about 5-6mi then he'd poop out. I was consistently running 8-10mi runs.

Moved back to VA where I can hop out the back door, hop on a bicycle, and not see the same road twice = I haven't run a step in over a year. I'd have to drive to go running. I have the same feelings about that as I do driving to go riding.

I still wanna do an off-road 50k, but not any time soon!

M
http://www.glacierridgetrailultra.com/

http://www.laurelultra.com/

im planning for these two... :) we have space for vagrants.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #35
disconnected OP
ultra runner

Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
gazoo
Wandering

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
http://www.glacierridgetrailultra.com/

http://www.laurelultra.com/

im planning for these two... :) we have space for vagrants.
Nice. I was planning for the Laurel 50k, but one of my best friends decided his wedding HAS to be on June 9.
gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #37
disconnected OP
ultra runner

The Glacier Ridge Trail is supposed to be REALLY Technical... supposively the elevations are okay though.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #38
Skowinski
Deuterostome

I've actually seen people running down the sidewalk that look like some of those guys.

Quote:

Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #39
disconnected OP
ultra runner

well gang, Im think im as ready for my first Ultra. I got out for a 26+ mile single track run Thursday. According to my Garmin my Elevation Gain was 4705. :)

It was on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail from Seven Springs into Ohiopyle State Park... and raining...

The Green Jewel, my first 50K is in Ohio, so it will be pretty flat in comparison.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #40
disconnected OP
ultra runner

It was a muddy wet race. 26 or so in the morning. most of the puddles where frozen with a thin icy layer that was easily broken through. After this one, I ditched the Cascadia 6's and Smart Wool. Switched to the Speed Cross 3 with Drymax Trail socks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazoo View Post
Salt Fork? Where's the mud pics???

Looks like a tough race. Kudos on the good finish!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #41
gazoo
Wandering

Quote:
It was a muddy wet race. 26 or so in the morning. most of the puddles where frozen with a thin icy layer that was easily broken through. After this one, I ditched the Cascadia 6's and Smart Wool. Switched to the Speed Cross 3 with Drymax Trail socks.
I'm a Smart Wool guy, but will have to try the Drymax stuff.

I need to try out some new trail shoes. I'm 6'4" and around 215 and for the road usually use motion control or stability models. Right now for the trail I have a pair of Saucony Pro Grid Trail TR. They're stability shoes so they have a higher heel, meaning more risk of ankle turns in the terrain. I'm going to research some neutral (lower) shoes that may be able to hold up to my big ass pounding them all day.

If any of the peeps you do your trail runs with are big, I'd love to hear any suggestions they may have.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #42
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Quote:

I need to try out some new trail shoes. I'm 6'4" and around 215 and for the road usually use motion control or stability models. Right now for the trail I have a pair of Saucony Pro Grid Trail TR. They're stability shoes so they have a higher heel, meaning more risk of ankle turns in the terrain. I'm going to research some neutral (lower) shoes that may be able to hold up to my big ass pounding them all day.

If any of the peeps you do your trail runs with are big, I'd love to hear any suggestions they may have.
I can't help you there, as I'm 5'10" and about 142 lbs, when I'm out of shape and fat!

But, seriously, for about 8 years I've been using Montrails for off-road running. Various models, because the mongrels seem to like to discontinue models and introduce new "replacements" (which don't always represent an improvement). I'm currently using the Mountain Masochist, which is probably more on the minimalist side of shoe designs..... Had some of the AT Plus shoes, and they were much more sturdy and had more motion control. Have a look at their Fairhaven and Badrock models, might work for you too.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #43
disconnected OP
ultra runner

im 6'2" and around 175- Ive had alot of luck with the Salomon Speed Cross 3's. There supposed to be warm in the Summer months though, but they have been great this winter. :) Runners Warehouse seems to have the best pricing and SUPER fast free shipping. :)

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/01/salom...-3-review.html Speedcross 3 review

Quote:

Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #44
gazoo
Wandering

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Will hit a couple of local stores tomorrow and see how the fit is on some of your suggestions, then probably buy a couple of pairs. I like to buy from roadrunnersports.com when I can, as they take returns for 90 days, and some of what you're recommending are carried by them.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #45
gazoo
Wandering

Quote:
well gang, Im think im as ready for my first Ultra. I got out for a 26+ mile single track run Thursday. According to my Garmin my Elevation Gain was 4705. :)

It was on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail from Seven Springs into Ohiopyle State Park... and raining...

The Green Jewel, my first 50K is in Ohio, so it will be pretty flat in comparison.

Forgot to reply to this yesterday. That's a great run for late January. If I remember right that's a pretty technical part of the trail. Had to be a little treacherous with the weather.

Sounds like you're definitely ready for the race!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: