Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #286
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Where are the instructions for use? Thanks.
Hello sir,

Basic instructions are on the label. When you first push the button the Harmonizer will go into balancer mode after self-zeroing. To access menu options, hold the button pressed until you see the option you want.

To turn it off select the "power off" option in the menu, or just forget about it and it will turn itself off after 5 minutes of inactivity.

For balancing your 1200, JVB has done a good writeup here:
http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_TB_Sync.html

His writeup should also apply to the HP2.
In both cases substitute the Harmonizer for the Twinmax.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #287
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Where are the instructions for use? Thanks.
Look at the text and video in first post on page one of this thread. That really tells you all you need to know. It really is that simple.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #288
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Thanks folks. I hope to play with it soon.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #289
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Well, damn...that wasn't hard.

Last time I tried synchronizing vacuum levels between cylinders was using a slack-tube manometer setup on a Ninja 250. That went so well I ended up adjusting the cables by sight and calling that good enough.

Tonight, I set out to sync the throttle bodies on my 1150GS with the Harmonizer (using the TB sync instructions in the Hall of Wisdom), and I was quickly able to adjust my idle speed and also sync the throttle bodies both at idle and under load.

One question: what about pulling to one side during throttle-closed engine braking? I had ridden uphill so I could apply load as I went out to fine-tune the balance and found that adding load didn't push the balance off...but when I looked down at the Harmonizer as I slowed to pull into my driveway, there was a noticeable off-balance indication.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #290
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post

Last time I tried synchronizing vacuum levels between cylinders was using a slack-tube manometer setup on a Ninja 250. That went so well I ended up adjusting the cables by sight and calling that good enough.

Tonight, I set out to sync the throttle bodies on my 1150GS with the Harmonizer (using the TB sync instructions in the Hall of Wisdom), and I was quickly able to adjust my idle speed and also sync the throttle bodies both at idle and under load.

One question: what about pulling to one side during throttle-closed engine braking? I had ridden uphill so I could apply load as I went out to fine-tune the balance and found that adding load didn't push the balance off...but when I looked down at the Harmonizer as I slowed to pull into my driveway, there was a noticeable off-balance indication.
The motor becoming unbalanced during deceleration is quite common. I think it might be due to a little air leaking past the rings or the valve guides.

It doesn't affect vibration though because the throttle is chopped and the motor isn't making much power.

I just ignore it and balance at steady RPM's
Old 10-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #291
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,632
Quote:

In TBSD we touch on that topic a bit. It probably stems from the inner teflon sheath of throttle cable moving out of position. This condition can also be exacerbated by not fully closing the throttle during deceleration.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #292
URAL CT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
STEP 4: HIGHER RPM BALANCE.
PURPOSE: Adjust relative cable lengths such that the carbs are balanced above idle, while the cables are in control.

Make sure both cables have a small amount of slack - maybe 2mm or so.
Put the Harmonizer in balancer mode if it has automatically turned itself off. Restart the motor.

Adjust the relative cable length by adjusting ONE of the cable adjusters (the right side is traditional) such that the Harmonizer shows a balanced condition at around 3000 RPM or so.

That should do it!
Shutoff motor. Disconnect Harmonizer, replace petcock hose and vacuum cap, shutoff pectock.

Bask in your achievement!
Hi Grok...this step is unclear to me. Do you open the throttle some, hold that position, & then adjust the cable to achieve the balance. What am I missing here? The cable has to be pulling to adjust for high RPM balance doesn't it? Please advice...thanks
Charlie T
URAL CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #293
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by URAL CT View Post
Hi Grok...this step is unclear to me. Do you open the throttle some, hold that position, & then adjust the cable to achieve the balance. What am I missing here? The cable has to be pulling to adjust for high RPM balance doesn't it? Please advice...thanks
Charlie T
Yep, that's right!

On some bikes the balance will change when you snug the cable adjuster. If that happens you might need to compensate a little before snugging it down. I use the word "snug" instead of "tighten" because it's easy to strip the threads on some bikes.

After you take a reading at higher RPM you can make the adjustment at idle (or with the engine off) once you get a feel for how the adjustment affects the balance, then recheck.

Grok screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 09:09 AM
Grok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #294
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
In TBSD we touch on that topic a bit. It probably stems from the inner teflon sheath of throttle cable moving out of position. This condition can also be exacerbated by not fully closing the throttle during deceleration.

JJ
I skimmed that section of the TBSD but didn't think it applied to me, as the problem does not occur with a closing or closed throttle on the centerstand, only with a closed throttle with engine braking.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #295
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I skimmed that section of the TBSD but didn't think it applied to me, as the problem does not occur with a closing or closed throttle on the centerstand, only with a closed throttle with engine braking.
Engine braking with throttles closed represents the highest vacuum conditions. Another possible contributing factor is worn butterfly shafts or bushings.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #296
Ianuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Dear Mr Grok,

I placed an order to you on the 17th October, one unit of this harmonizer vacuum Multi-Tool. I'm the guy from London, England. I'm really looking forward to trying it out on my R100RS and the R1100S

Just for your information, I made the order through the PayPal button on the first page of this thread, and got a PayPal receipt, etc. to "Far Horizons". Any idea when the item will be shipping out?

Many Thanks
Ian
Ianuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #297
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloslow View Post
Dear Mr Grok,

I placed an order to you on the 17th October, one unit of this harmonizer vacuum Multi-Tool. I'm the guy from London, England. I'm really looking forward to trying it out on my R100RS and the R1100S

Just for your information, I made the order through the PayPal button on the first page of this thread, and got a PayPal receipt, etc. to "Far Horizons". Any idea when the item will be shipping out?

Many Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,
Your order was shipped Oct. 18th to Leytonstone, ESX.
My previous experiences shipping to the UK has been variable (7-14 days), but I believe you should receive it very soon!
Many thanks for your patience and the business!
-Mark
Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #298
rockn6gs
S^2C

Oddometer: 460
Very nice tool!! Thank You.
rockn6gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #299
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,064
Can I order one this Thursday and still get the discount.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #300
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
Can I order one this Thursday and still get the discount.
Yep,
The discount will remain in effect until I get my dealer program in place. I have a bit more work to do, so I anticipate at least a few more weeks of the introductory price!