Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,455
06 R1200GS Battery Warning Light is ON...PROBLEM SOLVED!

Battery Warning Light is now ON.

Checked battery and had only 12.06 volts...charged on Battery Tender all day yesterday until the GREEN light on the charger came on. (FULLY CHARGED).

Installed this morning. First time that I started it for a very short time...no warning light.

Couple hours later...my nemesis is back. WARNING LIGHT reappears on the panel.

My diagnosis/guess:
Yes...have RTFM...Page 26...says "Battery is Not being charged."

Suspect that BATTERY is not being charged by Alternator? Why?
Perhaps a broken or loose belt?

Before I start an afternoon of fun with the ALTERNATOR cover removal...anyone else have a hint?

Thanks.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 07-02-2011 at 12:05 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
Make sure your battery light doesn't go out when reved a bit. If it does, don't sweat it. If it doesn't you should first check all your cables to make sure of a good connection. Then check your battery without load, and check it when you crank it. If it is above 12.5, then drops below 10 when starting, bad battery.

Once running you should get 14+ once you are above 1500-2000 rpm.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Battery Patient VITAL STATS...

JVB,

Thanks for the reply.

No Load BEFORE STARTING...nothing switched on... 12.49
When starting = 9.96
Ongoing after start = 11.90 Agree with your 14+ should be value. (probably the low voltage level that triggers the warning light, right?)

Took the Alternator Cover off...belt is not broken does not appear to be loose. Put a mark on the belt and the belt is changing position.

Diagnosis: Head for the battery store?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Does the light go out if you rev the bike a bit?

It is looking like the battery. How old is it?

Jim
Old 06-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Light doesn't go out when rev.

YUASA YTX14-BS purchased on 5/3/2010...exactly 1 month or so out of warranty.

Have a new battery...installing now.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Latest UPDATE on Battery

Jim,

Installed NEW Battery.

Secured all connections at battery.

When turning on the ignition switch...bike goes through start up routine without errors (except for the usual Brake Failure...I understand that part).

When STARTING the bike...immediately get the RED WARNING Triangle and the Battery symbol.

Stats: When running...rev'd at approx 1500 rpms...12.17 volts...so it appears that it STILL isn't charging. Agree? Disagree?

What else to look at?

Owners manual says: "If the battery is no longer charged, continued driving can lead to deep discharging and the destruction of the battery. If possible, do not continue driving".

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Yeah, sounds like the battery is OK, yes new, but the charging system is not working. If you have access to a testing unit is is just like a car alternator to test. They may be able to test it on the bike.

If you keep all extras off you can safely ride it about 15-20 minutes, but minimal use of the brakes as the servos suck a lot of power.

Removing the alternator is a bit of a pain, the tank has to come off, but you can do it and take the alternator in.

www.beemerboneyard.com may have an alternator. Good time to upgrade to a 60 amp alternator. E-mail or call. Mike goes through a lot of parts, so his web site is not always up to date.

Jim
Old 06-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
island808
We are 100% SNAFU

Oddometer: 423
Did I miss it.. was the cover ever checked to see if the belt is even on?
island808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, I've removed the cover and the belt is on. Turns...can't confirm that it doesn't slip.
Took for a ride and after a short ride...warning light / battery icon went out...maybe after the belt 'warmed up'? Still not consistently charging.

Replacing belt this morning. May have stretched. Bike has 24,000 on it which coincidentally is the new service recommendation.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,781
These alternators have a clutch pulley, these often fail on cars. much more often than Bosch alternators. One would assume that bikes would have the same issues. Take alternator off and take to a local alternator re-builder, not an auto parts store. They should be able to fix it for you much less than a new one.

Here is a link to a web site where you might be able to find a local rebuilder if google fails you.

http://www.apra.org/directory/default.asp

Good luck.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Alternator Belt: UPDATE

Replaced the Alternator Belt with a NEW one this morning.

Drats...no such luck...WARNING LIGHT & ICON are still present.

BTW: The NEW belt was about 1/4-3/16" SHORTER than the USED one...(old one apparently stretched)...which is what I was hoping for...that it was SLIPPING, but so such luck.

Thanks for the rebuilding avenue. I'll remove Alternator (geez...this is going to be one fun afternoon) and take it some place locally.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Removed the ALTERNATOR...

Talk about 'getting to know your bike'...sheesh.

I finally got the ALTERNATOR removed.

Had to remove fuel tank...
unleash some of the brain units from their plastic housings
remove the alternator belt
remove the plastic cover on the front of the alternator
remove the front shock

and voila...the ALTERNATOR slides straight forward and O-U-T.

I actually have it in my hands...hurrah.
So...it can be done by mere mortals.

And...most importantly...I have taken pictures of each step and will be producing a "How to REMOVE your R1200GS Alternator pictorial" in the days ahead when I've successfully completed this project.

UPDATE: Here's the "How to REMOVE your Alternator" link:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703446

Lucky you...who wants to/has to remove their alternator.
My payback for everything I've learned here at ADV.

Next Step
Source replacement or rebuild unit.

More to come...

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 10:02 AM
Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Replacement ALTERNATOR source...

It appears that the Denso 40A alternator was proprietarily built for BMW and local shops that typically rebuild alternators simply can't get the parts needed to rebuild the alternator.

Also...there are a number of issues to consider if you're thinking about upgrading to a 60A unit. Connectors aren't compatible...just too many weeds to go swimming in. 40A should be fine.

So...BeemerBoneYard.com (Mike) came through with a USED unit off an 05 R1200GS that he was parting out. Not cheap...but less than a NEW one.

Scheduled to arrive in a few days and the INSTALLATION process can continue. Can hardly wait. Having fun.

Anybody know where this bolt goes? Hah.

Should be fine.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this trek.

More to come. er

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 09:14 AM
Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #14
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

The FINAL CHAPTER in this mystery...

For those of you who have been following along...today's episode begins with the delivery of the USED Alternator (40A...R1200) replacement.

And as every good novelist knows...a story that doesn't have a twist or turn in it isn't worth telling.

So...

I open the box from BBYard and voila...a replacement alternator that looks like the 'bad' one I'm trying to replace. Checked size, bolt locations, etc. Yep, it's a match.

Spent the next 2 hours reinstalling the alternator, the two brains units, the NEW alternator belt, the tank with all of it's six fittings..

And NOW is the MOMENT of TRUTH. Kill switch is ON. Ignition switch is ON. I don't see any RED WARNING light and BATTERY icon. So far...so good.
Hit the START button and...and....and....that RED WARNING light and the BATTERY icon are still there. Geez...my emotions sunk lower than a snake's belly. Holy cow...how could this be? New battery, new alternator belt and now a 'new-ish' alternator. And it doesn't work?

I actually thought that perhaps the new-ish alternator was bad. But, after coming to my senses, I realized the odds of it being 'bad' were about the same as me winning the Powerball.

What the heck to I do now.

What did JVB first say? Check your connections. Hmm...so I check them one more time only to realize they were tight.

This is an electrical problem. So I check every fuse on the Centech. Check every fuse on other accessories that I've added. All is A-OK.

What have I done recently that was electrical? Swim backwards upstream when things were hunky dory. Geez....I did just install some high visibility brake lights.

Then, staring at me BIG AS LIFE was a Posi-Tap that I tapped into the Power (Green/Blue wire) of the Diagnostic Plug. My instinct said...unscrew that wire and see what happens.

OK...you're ahead of me. Yep, the RED WARNING light and BATTERY icon vanished into thin air when I re-started. Yeah...but is the alternator actually charging the battery...this is what I want to know. While the bike was running checking the battery terminals and voila...14.xx volts!

Geez, Louise. It was the wrong place to connect to power. The high visibility brake lights DID WORK and flash appropriately...but also affected the output of the alternator...resulting in the RED WARNING light and the BATTERY icon.

I left the wire disconnected and will start trying to figure out where I went wrong on the wiring tomorrow.

But for tonight...the bike is all back together...I actually took it for a short ride and everything (minus the high visi brake light) is working!!!

In hindsight...I hadn't successfully ridden with the RWL and Battery icon AFTER installing the high vis brake light.

Moral of this story:
1. Be careful of the 'trail' you attempt to resolve...new battery, new alternator belt, new-ish alternator. It seemed reasonable at the time.

2. And, I guess that I had to go down this trail BEFORE I realized this was an ELECTRICAL problem I was trying to solve. I'm just not that smart.

3. Also...always be mindful of things you've recently done that may be affecting your NEW PROBLEM.

So, while the bike's now a little over the 24,000 mile level the new battery and alternator belt weren't wasted money.

BUT...I do have an extra 40A alternator...should I ever need one, again.

Life is good. Bike works. Going to sleep.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 09:14 AM
Old 07-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
SpEd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Great story LPOL. You've got more huevos than me to tackle something like this. Maybe one day but not today for sure. I can't wait to see your documentation of the event. I'm sure I'll learn something.