User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Renegade_Azzy OP
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 691
A few quick thoughts on the Olympia Phantom

Picked up a lightly used Phantom 1 piece suit from another inmate. Got to put it to the test the other day, as well as on my daily commute. It has replaced my Joe Rocket Alter Ego mesh hybrid (jacket only). I am running an Xtra Large, which fits me perfectly in the lower body.

Pros:

-Built like a tank. heavy, as is the liner. Havent tried on the liner, I overheat pretty easy, and figure the liner would work for me in temps that my bike wont run in anyhow (this bike doenst like below 40 F). Its a little puffy and sewn well.
-Tons of Velcro, lots of adjustment. Elbow adjustment could be better, but that fits in the one con below.
-Lots of pocket space. I keep finding them. Main waterproof pockets easy to get into with gloves while sitting on the bike, like when at a toll booth.
-Decently placed vents, good chest and arm airflow. Keeps you cool as long as you are moving above 10mph. Anything under that, and good luck.
-Feels sturdy (first 1 piece suit)
-Nice reflective bits. Show up well on the road. Photographs make you look like the guys from Tron.

Cons:
-No leg ventilation. Sweaty pants are the norm if its a 30 min trip over 80 degrees.
-"Backpack" pocket serves to try and hold things, but anything more than a few pieces of paper will cause you start to slowly close your windpipe and make you go for the big "sleepy sleep". An=lso DAMN hard to get anything in and out of there by yourself.
-While the knees have great positioning velcro for armor, shoulders do not. Shoulder armor sits near my bicep, unless I slide it up.
-Upper body feels like it was designed for someone who wears 4 or 5 sweaters or is either in awesome shape or horrible rolly poly shape.. of which I am in-between.
-Waist is tight no matter what. I wear a 34-36 waist pant (6-1", 200 lbs) and it never seems to adjust correctly around my middle. Fine at the waist, but when I am carrying a sidearm (yes, we can do that around here, go elsewhere if you want to argue) or not, it never fits "just" right, even if I go from having a holster on to not and do not change the strap.
-Arm vents almost impossible to adjust all the way up while in motion, unless you want to test out the protective qualities of the suit.

My biggest grip so far... got caught in one nasty downpour, and came home soaked. It got in the waterproof arm vents (velcroed and zipped) and into the fly area, so it looks like I just couldn't wait till the next rest stop. Now I did zip it all up and set everything as it should, but I think these flaps would only truly keep water out if you were waddling down the street like that kid from A Christmas Story, not bent in the middle riding a motorcycle. Chest flaps kept water out.

Overall, the its I dont like i figure can be fixed or lived with, given the protection the suit offers.

Just my 2 or so cents.
Renegade_Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Greetings
Scotch-guard is the recommended treatment for waterproofing this suit.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Renegade_Azzy OP
Kamen Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
Greetings
Scotch-guard is the recommended treatment for waterproofing this suit.

ktm950se
Ive seen that, but thought it was for after the suit was cleaned and needed waterproofing. Or is it not really well applied from the factory?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Be careful how you wash the suit, Olympia is pretty strict about how you do this.
I don't recall exactly how they told me to do this last year when I inquired, so it'd be best you give them a call..... (and then remind all of us )

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
batman1939
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Jeez. I have one and ride all winter long in Oregon with no issues with leakage. I don't wear mine in the summer as I consider it a cool weather suit. I go to full mesh in the summer.

I agree on the waist. It is a bit on the narrow side even worn as an over suit. I'd recommend a shoulder holster.

I love my Phantom and best of all it is Hi-Viz!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 1,132
I too bought a 'new' used Phantom here. Haven't had the opportunity to wear it out on the bike...been in the high 90's here and I'm in my mesh gear.

Have tried it on in the house, and it feels like a well put together outfit. Lots of goodies and stuff, way beyond what I feel I really need for my comuting and flying around...but it is awesome, nonetheless....

Don't want to say "can't wait to wear it" because I don't love the cold....but I will be excited to wear it on a nice ride!
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
I don't get wet when wearing mine, including four straight days in the rain in the UP of Michigan last fall.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Renegade_Azzy OP
Kamen Rider

Looks like my right leg zipper is stuck open :( Have a call in to Olympia, but they are closed for the day. We will see what is up tomorrrow then.

Shortly after i found that, I found my bike had a dead cell in the battery, and had to push it to a garage, where it waits for a fresh battery tomorrow. Heck of a day.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Renegade_Azzy OP
Kamen Rider

Update!

Ive been wearing this on a pretty constant basis since it came in the mail. Ive washed it with Techwash and the related products from Areostich's site... Olympia told me to hand wash and that was about it.

Overall, they have not been very helpful the few times i contacted them, since I got this second hand 9even after offering to pay for repairs to the zippers). The zippers ended up working themselves fixed, and a bit of wax keeps them moving well.

Ive got fraying all over the place, and a pulled out panel in the crotch gusset. Thats where that leak came from. The other leaks... cant figure them out. If it rains more than a drizzle, I come home looking like Ive got deodorant and nipple issues, and I peed myself. Legs getting wet hasnt helped either.

For dry weather, I would sorta recommend this suit, but my next one will probably be a roadcrafter.