Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
LostViking OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX

This looks to be a nice all road scoot.

Decent ergos, decent luggage, cruise control, optional heated grips, adjustable wind screen. And other nice addtitions.

I sat on a 2014 Tiger Roadie and like the stance. I sat on the big Tiger too. But it was too close to my Tenere.
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bi.../tiger-800-xrx

They hadn't got any of the '15s in yet.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I like it but the the more gadgets you add the more that can go wrong when you're off the beaten path. And the price creeps up on " On Sale Tenere" territory. I Love Triumphs. On my 5th one. But for the money your Tenere is where it's at.
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
I like it but the the more gadgets you add the more that can go wrong when you're off the beaten path. And the price creeps up on " On Sale Tenere" territory. I Love Triumphs. On my 5th one. But for the money your Tenere is where it's at.
In this case I disagree. The T800 is a fantastic bike with an even better engine. You get a lot for your money. The only reason I don't still have my '12 T800 is because of ongoing physical issues that made the Ergos uncomfortable for me. I gave up after three handlebar changes. With the addition of fly by wire throttle, adjustable windshield, better seat/handlebars and cruise control it really becomes a "do everything" bike. The only other item I'd want is shaft drive, but that's just personal preference.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
LostViking OP
Studly Adventurer

I am fairly short at about 5''6". And at 55, not getting any younger. But I'm not near dead yet either. I have been riding big adventure bikes for a long time. I just want to touch the ground again for a while.

My Tenere has been a gem. Although I have only managed to get around 7,000 miles on it. This has been a real light summer.

I went and sat on a 2014 Tiger yesterday, no '15s yet. I liked that I could almost flat foot it. Not quite, but almost. Heaving it off the stand it felt less top heavy than the Tenere too.

I see a pretty good value in the new Tiger. The Tenere didn't get any long trips, but I usually get across or at least half way across the country every year or so. So the cruise would be welcomed. The modes, who knows, but my Tenere has the mode thing to.

I have owned a Steamer and a Girlie and I like the triples. I agree with Bueller shaft would be nice, but then up goes the price and the weight, or some combination of both.

I don't off road as much as I used to. So I see this XRX as a road bike but capable of fire roads and logging roads. Enough for me. As I said the Tenere has been a great bike for me. But I haven't really bonded with it. Through no fault of its own. But is kind of like a work truck. I use it, it does what is supposed to do. And it does it well. But at the end of the day, it is still a work truck.

My dreams of Ewan and Charlie are fading. But I still want a bike that can handle mixed surfaces. One bike that can go from the mountains of Northern New York, to the shores of the U.P. then head up ober the Going to the Sun Highway.

And carry home my groceries, or take my wife out ocassionally for a short spin.

The Tenere will do all this. It just doesn't move me like it does so many others.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
I'm think'n Yamaha FJ-09 would do the trick for ya.

Paul
Old 12-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Onetrack97
n00b

Oddometer: 9
XRX vs. other new bikes

Wet weight of the Super Tenere ES is 110 lbs more than the Tiger 800 XRX. No thanks.

FJ doesn't have cruise control, has less capacity, and also is heavier. Too bad.

BMW S 1000 XR is the new hot rod along with the updated Multistrada. I just don't think I need 160 HP, but it might be very fun.

I wish Triumph had increased the compression ratio to give it a little more power.
Onetrack97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Vapor_Trails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I sat on an XRX at the MC Show in Long Beach. It was really nice. Comfy reach to the bars and the pegs were down below my rear. However, the seat locked me into one position; right up against the tank. A slightly higher, more roomy seat would be a requirement if I bought one.
Vapor_Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
No Coast Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
Wet weight of the Super Tenere ES is 110 lbs more than the Tiger 800 XRX. No thanks.

FJ doesn't have cruise control, has less capacity, and also is heavier. Too bad.

BMW S 1000 XR is the new hot rod along with the updated Multistrada. I just don't think I need 160 HP, but it might be very fun.

I wish Triumph had increased the compression ratio to give it a little more power.
If Triumph increased the compression ratio they'd have to require higher grade fuel. I like that I can put the cheap, easy to find anywhere, regular gas in it.
No Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
LostViking OP
Studly Adventurer

Another big factor for me is alternator capacity. I hear the Tiger has a decent amount of available juice for heated gear, lights, amd other gear.

The stock headlights are also very good. My old Quota was like having an italian guy sitting on the front fender with a kerosene lantern. Ever since then, I like to see where I'm going at night. And also see what is in front of me.

As far as the powers goes. For me, right around 100 horse is the sweet spot. It is enough for me for 95% of what I need to do. The other 5% I probably shouldn't be doing anyways. I may be old school with this, but it's all I need. I can still remember when BMW swore they would never build a bike over 100 horse power. Things change.

I use my bike almost exclusively from snow to snow. So perhaps certaing things have become more important for me. Up here, I spend more time trying to stay warm, than cool. So heated gear is important for me. As are heated grips.

East to access luggage, that is waterproof. Nothing like getting home with 2 panniers worth of wet groceries. My Tenere bags are water tight. But they are fidgety. Especially the top case. Nit pickey perhaps, but again when you use it a lot. It gets old.

Good lighting so I can see the deer and the moose.

This is another biggie for me. The bike has to start when it is cold. Like 10 degrees cold. Years back I complained to my BMW dealer that my bike wouldn't start. His answer was, "You're not supposed to be riding when it is that cold" I found a new dealer. That bike never started good if it got below freezing. And not at all if it got below 20.

To be fair most of the stuff on my list the Tenere does. It starts very well. Mo matter what temperature it is. It has a a great set of headlights. The luggage is water tight. But i am just looking for a smaller, lighter, lower to the ground package.

And the Tenere has shaft drive. I love shaft drive for it's ease of maintenance. For zipping across the country. It can't be beat. But I also like that I can adjust the gear ratios to my liking with a chain.

LostViking screwed with this post 12-09-2014 at 03:53 AM
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
407Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
The XRx seems like a great bike. I'm looking it and the FJ-09 with the 2015 Versys 1000 a distant third. The cruise control has my leaning strongly towards the XRx but the time you add panniers it's going to be pricey, at least to me.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
Onetrack97
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Coast Rider View Post
If Triumph increased the compression ratio they'd have to require higher grade fuel. I like that I can put the cheap, easy to find anywhere, regular gas in it.
These bikes are modern computer controlled fuel injected machines. "Recommended Premium" doesn't mean you have to use it. Yes, you will give up a few horsepower but your engine will run just fine. Cadallic or Triumph.
Onetrack97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
These bikes are modern computer controlled fuel injected machines. "Recommended Premium" doesn't mean you have to use it. Yes, you will give up a few horsepower but your engine will run just fine. Cadallic or Triumph.
Until you torch out you exhaust valve seals, sure.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Until you torch out you exhaust valve seals, sure.
That's not what gets damaged by inadequate octane.

In engine management systems that are not capable of compensating for reduced octane the damage can range from none to severe piston crown and combustion chamber damage. If the engine management system includes a knock sensor the engine will alter timing and typically run just fine on 87 octane.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
That's not what gets damaged by inadequate octane.

In engine management systems that are not capable of compensating for reduced octane the damage can range from none to severe piston crown and combustion chamber damage. If the engine management system includes a knock sensor the engine will alter timing and typically run just fine on 87 octane.
Or the ones that can (no idea on the new Klihens) they pull back the spark advance and the exhaust temp shoots through the ceiling because there is still an active flame front when the exhaust valve opens.....which smokes the exhaust valve seals and causes very bad things™.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,318
I'm asking here, and in "Beasts"...

Does anybody have any idea if the new transmission uses the same ratios? I absolutely love my GF's '12, except for the too high first gear.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote