Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #166
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
Almost true...

25mph in 5th is much easier to accelerate from.

For the Valkyrie, anyway... same motor, different carbs... the Wing may have better low end.

Not even close, the Valkyrie is a stump puller torque wise. Much easier to get a Valk rolling then a 1500 Wing. I kinda know......I have a '91 1500 Wing and a '97 Valkyrie standard.

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #167
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Nice bikes!! The Mrs. and I went looking just the other day for something that she and I (mostly her butt) would like for longer rides. The Goldwing wasn't even on the radar (looking at the ST1300, FJR 1300 and C14) but it was there so I sat on it and thought "hummmm" then talked the wife into loading up and she didn't even say a word but I heard her butt go "ahhhhhhh" when she sat down and that my friends was the strongest selling point ever. Though I have to wait awhile to buy (just bad timing all the way around) I think we're done with shopping!!
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #168
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Nice bikes!! The Mrs. and I went looking just the other day for something that she and I (mostly her butt) would like for longer rides. The Goldwing wasn't even on the radar (looking at the ST1300, FJR 1300 and C14) but it was there so I sat on it and thought "hummmm" then talked the wife into loading up and she didn't even say a word but I heard her butt go "ahhhhhhh" when she sat down and that my friends was the strongest selling point ever. Though I have to wait awhile to buy (just bad timing all the way around) I think we're done with shopping!!
A friend of ours from Colorado has had two husbands who were both Chopper Guys. She's spent 20 years on Bitch Pads. So last time her and #2 came into town, she rode one of those tampon-sized fender pad seats from Breckenridge to Saint Louis. I took her for a ride on my GL1800, and about 5 minutes into it I here her SCREAM "Oh My God!"

I pull over FAST, worried something Very Bad has happened. "Whatsamatter! You Alright!"

She screams AGAIN! "Oh My God!.......

This is the BEST seat EVER! I could SLEEP back here!!"

Another Convert!
And her Old Man now officially Hates Me.

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #169
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
^ They both had to be bastards to let her ride on those ridiculous pads called seats.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #170
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Absolutely. It is terrible to let your wife do anything.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #171
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Not that it matters a whole lot and there's probably a thread on it somewhere but out of curiosity, what's the average range on a Wing?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #172
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
6.6 gal x 32-40 mpg.
I only count on about 200mi. That seems to be Worst Case, say if you're running hard & fast into a headwind (it's a barn door w/ wheels ) or rockin' the hills and curves in the Ozarks.

Practical Max? 240 or so.

I've never run out, but I once filled up and hit 6.4 gallons on the pump after 240mi, so that's where my "max" figure comes from.

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #173
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Goldwing wannabee

I found one that is well appointed,not sun faded at all, yet needs a little TLC. The bike is an '82-- the first year that Honda built their own luggage I think. not Aspencade,but a well done Interstate in that dark cherry red that I like.
I could buy the bike for 600.00, but what scares me is how long it has sat around with rotten gas in the tank. These bikes seem to have a pretty low price up and running,and I think it may be due to the fact that every engine series is [at least thought to be] better than the last.
I am not basing this on first hand knowledge,so please forgive me if this post is lacking in judgement. If the bike would part out at a profit,and I really knew how to sell on the internet,it probably would not be such a risk if getting it running was not profitable.
Good thread,I will read more of it later...
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #174
dynodave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Here's mine...It's a big dirtbike!

dynodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #175
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,023
I found a new 2012 GW for what I think is a pretty good price. I am trying to talk the wife into this purchase. Any pointers? She has sat one one, and in the long distant past BK (before kids) we had a GL1500.

Wish me luck!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #176
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
^ Quietly fix everything in the house that she has mentioned in the last three months and then plan your next sales point.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #177
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I found a new 2012 GW for what I think is a pretty good price. I am trying to talk the wife into this purchase. Any pointers? She has sat one one, and in the long distant past BK (before kids) we had a GL1500.

Wish me luck!
I'll wish you luck...but weren't you looking at something lighter and had a fever for the NC700x a while back?
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #178
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
I'll wish you luck...but weren't you looking at something lighter and had a fever for the NC700x a while back?

OK I admit it - I'm a bike whore!

Mrs. Breeze will not get on the FJR. I planned to go on a charity ride last Saturday. I reminded her of this Friday night. She got mad.

So I figured maybe I should get something she will ride. Did some research and arm twisting and came up with a nice deal on a new 2012 GW - she likes the GW - got the financing arranged and everything. Told her about it last night. She got mad.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #179
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
A friend of ours from Colorado has had two husbands who were both Chopper Guys. She's spent 20 years on Bitch Pads. So last time her and #2 came into town, she rode one of those tampon-sized fender pad seats from Breckenridge to Saint Louis. I took her for a ride on my GL1800, and about 5 minutes into it I here her SCREAM "Oh My God!"

I pull over FAST, worried something Very Bad has happened. "Whatsamatter! You Alright!"

She screams AGAIN! "Oh My God!.......

This is the BEST seat EVER! I could SLEEP back here!!"

Another Convert!
And her Old Man now officially Hates Me.

Otis
Now that's just a dirty trick . . . . . I like it though
Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #180
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanum View Post
I found one that is well appointed,not sun faded at all, yet needs a little TLC. The bike is an '82-- the first year that Honda built their own luggage I think. not Aspencade,but a well done Interstate in that dark cherry red that I like.
I could buy the bike for 600.00, but what scares me is how long it has sat around with rotten gas in the tank. These bikes seem to have a pretty low price up and running,and I think it may be due to the fact that every engine series is [at least thought to be] better than the last.
I am not basing this on first hand knowledge,so please forgive me if this post is lacking in judgement. If the bike would part out at a profit,and I really knew how to sell on the internet,it probably would not be such a risk if getting it running was not profitable.
Good thread,I will read more of it later...
If that rotten gas is in the carbs you'll need to clean them up. Easy enough to do if you ever done carbs before, but easy to mixed up with 4 carbs. Keep the parts separated so you know what goes to what carb. Carb kits are kind of pricey but Randaks has them. Tank can be kind of a pian to clean snce it's hard to remove, but with a siphon you can clean it with out removing it. If it's set it probably needs the brakes gone through and fluid replaced and a new set tires are probably needed. If the carbs were emptied when parked you could always use something like remote tank to feed it gas to see if it runs. You can't hardly kill them but it may take some work to get them back road worthy. There's a saying that Wings don't like to set the like to be ridden. Often the better move is to buy a current running one even if it has higher millage. A lot less work and probably around the same amount of money :)

Each motor had some pluses over the older ones but each had their own issues. here's a nice buyers guide http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm and a link to a bit of model history http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...ldwing_history