Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #511
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,025
I bought a GL1500 when I was 31. My bride and I joined the local GWRRA chapter, but it was awkward having to look at pictures of peoples grand kids all the time, and we were newlyweds.

I sold the GL when we found out the Stork was coming. I didn't want the payment anymore.

Now I am 55 and I think I would like to go back to a GL. I think the 1100 is the best looking of all the 'wings. A 1500, otoh, is a lot newer and those things are about as bulletproof as a motorcycle can get. The 1800's offer more performance and better handling, but even a well used one is expensive.

I n the years since selling the GL1500, I have owned a bunch of bikes, including a C10, ST1300, FJR, Nomad, 2 V-Stroms, and now a VTX1300R.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:32 AM   #512
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
Crocker.....

I will warn you though, and I'm sure it's been said many times before in this thread; "If you don't want to ride a Gold Wing, don't let your wife/girlfriend sit on a Gold Wing!" There's nothing wrong with that, but it might just set the tone for you when it comes to touring bikes.

Best wishes.

Lynn
I hate to say it, but there's truth in this statement. If you let your wife sit on a Gold Wing, your screwed. Nothing else will do.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #513
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I made a trip out to Denver, actually Parker, CO on Sunday on my 1983 GL1100I. Left home in Southeast Missouri at 3:00 AM and rolled into my Brother-In-Law's driveway right at 6:00 PM Mountain time. 910 miles - 16 Hrs, all but ~100 miles on the super slab.

Evidently I got a bad tank of gas in Ellis KS and had to refill 69 miles later with 3.5 Gal of gas. I was probably in 4th gear about 40 of those miles because the bike wouldn't even maintain 55 MPH in 5th. I thought I had some serious problems going on, but after refilling with gas and about 2 miles back on the road I could run 70+ in 5th and even accelerate on the up-hills. What a relief!

Today, I headed up Hwy 285 toward Fairplay through Kenosha Pass, elevation 10,001 Ft. according to my map. What a BEAUTIFUL ride! Topped of the tank at Fairplay, CO and then coasted back down to Parker, getting 50.75 MPG! What a change from that fateful tank of what they sold as gas in Kansas!

I had never ridden in the mountains before and was only hopeful how the Gold Wing would do. I did drop to 4th gear climbing the last few miles to the summit of Kenosha pass. It did "blubber" a bit at that altitude, but I was pleased it could go a bit higher. I feel better now about a future, potential trip to the Rockies again but hopefully two-up with my wife. It occured to my that the spark plugs have almost 20,000 miles on them. I can't help but think some new plugs would make a little bit of improvement!

I'll be heading back to Missouri, probably leaving CO early Friday PM, stopping wherever I get to around sunset and finishing the trip home on Saturday. The trip back home will be the opposite of the trip here, with most of it on two lane roads. Even though the route looks more direct on a map, it's actually about 975 miles on the route home.

FWIW, my GL1100I was resurrected after being in a tornado and after being poorly stored for 2 1/2 years had a locked engine. I have a lot of sweat equity in the bike but few$$. When I get home, providing it makes it, I'll have put 20,000 miles on the bike since it's reseruction. Not bad for a Gold Wing that many people would have parted out or left for dead. The more I ride the bike the more I like it!

Oh....BTW...I invested in a Shoei Neotech flip-front helmet at Faye Myers Motorcycles in Greenwood Village, CO. It will replace my 5+ year-old Nolan flip-up. I think the padding will need some time to break in, but the Shoei certainly has better ventilation that the Nolan, and it's much quieter!

Wish me luck on the ride home!

Lynn
IBA Member #49541

lake_harley screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 04:30 PM Reason: Detail correction
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #514
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
I made a trip out to Denver, actually Parker, CO on Sunday on my 1983 GL1100I. Left home in Southeast Missouri at 3:00 AM and rolled into my Brother-In-Law's driveway right at 6:00 PM Mountain time. 910 miles - 16 Hrs, all but ~100 miles on the super slab.

Evidently I got a bad tank of gas in Ellis KS and had to refill 69 miles later with 3.5 Gal of gas. I was probably in 4th gear about 40 of those miles because the bike wouldn't even maintain 55 MPH in 5th. I thought I had some serious problems going on, but after refilling with gas and about 2 miles back on the road I could run 70+ in 5th and even accelerate on the up-hills. What a relief!

Today, I headed up Hwy 285 toward Fairplay through Kenosha Pass, elevation 10,001 Ft. according to my map. What a BEAUTIFUL ride! Topped of the tank at Fairplay, CO and then coasted back down to Parker, getting 50.75 MPG! What a change from that fateful tank of what they sold as gas in Kansas!

I had never ridden in the mountains before and was only hopeful how the Gold Wing would do. I did drop to 4th gear climbing the last few miles to the summit of Kenosha pass. It did "blubber" a bit at that altitude, but I was pleased it could go a bit higher. I feel better now about a future, potential trip to the Rockies again but hopefully two-up with my wife. It occured to my that the spark plugs have almost 20,000 miles on them. I can't help but think some new plugs would make a little bit of improvement!

I'll be heading back to Missouri, probably leaving CO early Friday PM, stopping wherever I get to around sunset and finishing the trip home on Saturday. The trip back home will be the opposite of the trip here, with most of it on two lane roads. Even though the route looks more direct on a map, it's actually about 975 miles on the route home.

FWIW, my GL1100I was resurrected after being in a tornado and after being poorly stored for 2 1/2 years had a locked engine. I have a lot of sweat equity in the bike but few$$. When I get home, providing it makes it, I'll have put 20,000 miles on the bike since it's reseruction. Not bad for a Gold Wing that many people would have parted out or left for dead. The more I ride the bike the more I like it!

Oh....BTW...I invested in a Shoei Neotech flip-front helmet at Faye Myers Motorcycles in Greenwood Village, CO. It will replace my 5+ year-old Nolan flip-up. I think the padding will need some time to break in, but the Shoei certainly has better ventilation that the Nolan, and it's much quieter!

Wish me luck on the ride home!

Lynn
Nice, sounds like a fun trip! I miss taking trips on my GL1000. Enough power to cruise comfortably on the freeway, light enough to be relatively capable in the turns (after some modification), and old enough to have plenty of style and character.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #515
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Sounds like you had a nice trip lake_harley glad to hear that 1100I worked well. I know a couple folks that have ridden theirs all over Colorado 2 up with out problems. I'm a bit surprised about your bad gas experience. I use that truck stop in Ellis quite a bit and never had a problem with their gas, but there's always a first :)
Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #516
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Actually, it wasn't the truck stop on the Southwest side of the interchange, that I think you're referring to, it was the Casey's store on the East side of the street. They had two hoses, both 87 octane. I opted for the non-ethanol hose. I can't say 100% that the problem was the gas, but it seems pretty convincing since the problem appeared after that stop and ended shortly after the next fillup. Since the Ellis stop I've topped off the tank 5 times and it's been running like normal. If something else caused my low-power problem, I can't imagine what it could have been. No hard feelings about it though since it just added a bit of "adventure" to the trip The rain and hail later that I didn't originally mention was another exciting touch!

Just looking ahead to tomorrow's weather, I'm thinking I'd want to head out of the Denver area sooner than later because of possible PM storms building.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #517
GeauxBiker
Aventurero motocicle

Oddometer: 57
Question

Newbie to advrider, but would like some direction to see if any of the GoldWing riders have ventured into Mexico. I have a '12 GoldWing and am looking at a potential trip from the New Orleans area to Puerto Villarto, MX. I will either take the Wing or purchase a mid-weight dual purpose, such as a KLR or such. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
GeauxBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #518
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Actually, it wasn't the truck stop on the Southwest side of the interchange, that I think you're referring to, it was the Casey's store on the East side of the street. They had two hoses, both 87 octane. I opted for the non-ethanol hose. I can't say 100% that the problem was the gas, but it seems pretty convincing since the problem appeared after that stop and ended shortly after the next fillup. Since the Ellis stop I've topped off the tank 5 times and it's been running like normal. If something else caused my low-power problem, I can't imagine what it could have been. No hard feelings about it though since it just added a bit of "adventure" to the trip The rain and hail later that I didn't originally mention was another exciting touch!

Just looking ahead to tomorrow's weather, I'm thinking I'd want to head out of the Denver area sooner than later because of possible PM storms building.

Lynn
Sure sounds like bad gas to me too. I can say I have used the Casey's but I'd guess you could hit some bad gas about anywhere. I didn't realize that they had non corn squeeze'ns gas

"The rain and hail later that I didn't originally mention was another exciting touch!"

Welcome to Kansas

We're currently in the weather pattern for what hits Colorado in the afternoon hits us in the evenings. Hays got hit with thunderstorms overnight/early this morning and high wind warnings down around Topeka with storms there.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #519
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxBiker View Post
Newbie to advrider, but would like some direction to see if any of the GoldWing riders have ventured into Mexico. I have a '12 GoldWing and am looking at a potential trip from the New Orleans area to Puerto Villarto, MX. I will either take the Wing or purchase a mid-weight dual purpose, such as a KLR or such. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Haven't been to Mexico, but if it's rough roads you're worried about, the Wing does surprisingly well for its size and heft. Here's a photo of my dad and I on a trip out in Montana where he rode his 1500 up and down some forest service roads. Definitely not any kind of crazy off-roading or anything, but it was miles of dirt and gravel roads, some fairly rough and rocky, and he did fine. Lack of ground clearance was the biggest issue, more so than the weight. My ZRX was actually more of a liability on these roads, despite weighing 300 pounds less.

SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #520
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
I will warn you though, and I'm sure it's been said many times before in this thread; "If you don't want to ride a Gold Wing, don't let your wife/girlfriend sit on a Gold Wing!"
Lynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
I hate to say it, but there's truth in this statement. If you let your wife sit on a Gold Wing, your screwed. Nothing else will do.
You got that right... that's how I ended up with this:
(Please excuse the crappy cell phone pic.)

CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #521
UtahJim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Test ride

A good friend let me ride his new 2014 today. Wow! What an amazing machine. I see one in my future for sure. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
UtahJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #522
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxBiker View Post
Most of my experience is in Baja, but go over the latin america forum and take a lap. Alot of good info. Major points are TVIP, don't ride after dark and don't take firearms.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #523
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
You got that right... that's how I ended up with this:
(Please excuse the crappy cell phone pic.)

Man that's nice. I don't think I've seen one in the all black like that.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #524
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,625
Doing what's it's meant to do.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #525
GeauxBiker
Aventurero motocicle

Oddometer: 57
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Haven't been to Mexico, but if it's rough roads you're worried about, the Wing does surprisingly well for its size and heft. Here's a photo of my dad and I on a trip out in Montana where he rode his 1500 up and down some forest service roads. Definitely not any kind of crazy off-roading or anything, but it was miles of dirt and gravel roads, some fairly rough and rocky, and he did fine. Lack of ground clearance was the biggest issue, more so than the weight. My ZRX was actually more of a liability on these roads, despite weighing 300 pounds less.

Thank you for the info. I have been reading quite a bit on this forum, particularly one entitled Traveling in Mexico. There's a guy named Stettler (I think that's right) who did a joint bike-scuba trip from Texas all the way down through the Yucatan and apparently had few problems. My 'Wing is less than 10k miles and my concern is the low clearance that you mentioned. The "topes" (speed bumps) have been known to do substantial damage to low-clearance bikes down there and they can jump out at you before you know it. A busted oil pan might be difficult to deal with. Right now, I'm about 50% in going on the 'Wing. Looking at possibly purchasing a used dual sport, maybe a KLR 650, but the Wing sure is comfortable.:
GeauxBiker is offline   Reply With Quote