Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #91
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
Nothing wrong with a Goldwing if it what you want/need....that time has passed for me. My wife doesn't like to ride and it is to big/heavy to ride the roads in the Ozarks the way I like to ride....even with the modified suspension. Time for me to get back to basics.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #92
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans4ormer View Post
Nothing wrong with a Goldwing if it what you want/need....that time has passed for me. My wife doesn't like to ride and it is to big/heavy to ride the roads in the Ozarks the way I like to ride....even with the modified suspension. Time for me to get back to basics.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Back to basics?
Let's see, a fast dual-sport and a FJR may be in order

Would have loved to have compared a stock GW to your Trax-GW.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #93
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Richard....Traxxion is always a topic for heated debate on the GL1800 forum, as is tire pressure, oil weights/brands, car tires and a host of other things. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions, but "The best you have ridden is the best you know" pretty much sums it up. Their is no comparison between a stock wing and a traxxionized bike...period.

Back to basics for me is a KTM 990SMR or a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #94
riderjohn
Tag Sniper

Oddometer: 1,472

Here's my 1985 Interstate. 120,000 miles and still going strong.

riderjohn screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 01:55 AM
riderjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #95
aaronrkelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Prior Goldwing owner here. A GL1200 was the bike that really got me riding. Its been gone for 2 years but I still love a clean Goldwing (read that as minus all the old guy chrome and lights).

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #96
Scoutcamp
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I bought this 2007 GL1800 just this last October because my former motorcycle-phobic wife fell in love with riding 2 up on my KLR650. The KLR has a real butt burner of a seat after about an hour of riding. The Wing is great for the pavement, powerful, ultracomfortable and handles like a much smaller bike.
Attached Images

Scoutcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #97
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,805
Slight Highjack

(Please don't take this the wrong way).

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 'Wing, but I have some reservations. I wonder if I would lose the "essence" of riding on two wheels. Even though it's SO big and SO comfortable, do you guys still feel like you're riding a motorcycle?

BTW, I'm an MSF instructor, and I taught an Experienced Rider Course to some members of a Gold Wing club last year. We all know it's a great touring bike, but I was very impressed and frankly surprised by how well those bikes handled in the tight maneuvers! Watching those riders made me reevaluate my opinions of the GW.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #98
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, and I'm not trying to stir up anti-Gold Wing bias.

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 'Wing, but I have some reservations. I wonder if I'll lose the "essence" of riding on two wheels. Even though it's SO big and SO comfortable, do you guys still feel like you're riding a motorcycle?

BTW, I'm an MSF instructor, and I taught an Experienced Rider Course to some members of a Gold Wing club last year. We all know it's a great touring bike, but I was very impressed and frankly surprised by how well those bikes handled in the tight maneuvers! Watching those riders made me reevaluate my opinions of the GW.
I absolutely feel like it's still a motorcycle. I feel that I have more of an idea of what motorcycling truly is then when I had my last bike.

For all the techno wizardry on the new ones, it can be ignored. You can turn off the GPS, cruise control, stereo, CB and all that hooey, and just ride.
Tip Over is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #99
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
(Please don't take this the wrong way).

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 'Wing, but I have some reservations. I wonder if I would lose the "essence" of riding on two wheels. Even though it's SO big and SO comfortable, do you guys still feel like you're riding a motorcycle?

I'm not sure how you would lose the essence of being on two wheels when on two wheels :) I've seen the comment "why don't you just get a Miata" from those that the Wing doesn't fit their idea of a motorcycle. My wife has a convertible Firebird and it's no where near like a motorcycle. Even thought thew wing is big, has all sorts of creature comforts, has great weather protection, you are still out in the wind (just not as much). Everything is still open, you still see the road flying buy your feet, you still smell all the smells (including the feedlot), you still hear the wind (more so with the quite motor), and you still lean through the corners.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #100
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
I'm not sure how you would lose the essence of being on two wheels when on two wheels :) I've seen the comment "why don't you just get a Miata" from those that the Wing doesn't fit their idea of a motorcycle. My wife has a convertible Firebird and it's no where near like a motorcycle. Even thought thew wing is big, has all sorts of creature comforts, has great weather protection, you are still out in the wind (just not as much). Everything is still open, you still see the road flying buy your feet, you still smell all the smells (including the feedlot), you still hear the wind (more so with the quite motor), and you still lean through the corners.
can't split lanes to the front of the line at the border in a miata.... No car has the leg stretching positions available as a bike, and it doesn't have to be smogged.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #101
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
can't split lanes to the front of the line at the border in a miata.... No car has the leg stretching positions available as a bike, and it doesn't have to be smogged.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #102
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

It's very much a motorcycle, just a very large/heavy one. If you were impressed with the low speed handling...chances are it was a modified bike. The stock 1800 has a "noodle nose" and needs to be stiffened up to really perform. Adding a fork brace at least, but installing the Traxxion Dynamics Traxx-Rite triple clamps makes for a completely different and proper handling motorcycle.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #103
chalayko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Our 2007 'Wing on the Oregon Coast. Moved up from an ST1100 which seemed too small for us. We went out ot buy a Harley Ultra Classic but couldn't do it after a test ride. We rode the Goldwing and after about 10 minutes my wife said "Buy it!!". The Harley was/is a nice bike just not for us. Cliff.
Attached Images

chalayko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #104
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThaFrig View Post
May I ask what you did to un-link the brakes?

Sorry for the late reply I did not see this until now.

I bought a front brake splitter off an 82 and a new Master cylinder from this guy.
http://www.randakks.com/Master%20Price%20Catalog.htm#3

One 35" direct line for the rear and it is done. Toss the rear splitter.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #105
GS750T
GS750T

Oddometer: 366
IN. This is our 03, has 58000 miles

07 klx 250
GS750T is offline   Reply With Quote