Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #166
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
There's the one hill when you turn left at the "Long Ranch". Not sure it's something he should automatically bypass without at least looking at it. The road is certainly plenty wide for his rig and I don't recall it being too steep or loose. Mainly remember it for being the first real hill since the Ozarks. But remember, he's pretty much running street tires.
This one, I'm guessing. I remember a hill, but nothing narrow or technical. Certainly hack-worthy, as it is a road, not a trail. Of course, waether can change things dramatically.

I think this is somewhere near the top of that road. Note the condition of the road.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #167
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Here is the climb on Long Canyon

The town with all the murals Is Gate , Ok!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #168
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,859
Hey there Elmer!

Glad to see you back out there tackling the TAT! Everything's looking good so far, and the best is yet to come. With what you've tackled so far, I think that you'll be able to tackle that Long Canyon hill in NM; trust me, the view from the top is well worth the effort. The only hard part about it really is some of the tight switchback curves which having pactically no experience with a hack, I have no idea how hard it might be for you.

Good luck though, and I'll be keeping an eye on this RR now that I've discovered that you're making another run at it!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #169
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,282
Mea Culpa New Mexico...

Hmmnn....aarrghh...I usually don't get much posting from the experts, however you just did here while in Trinidad, Colo. IF and only IF I had read you posts last night and or opened the PC this morning in Liberal, KS to see what I would expect with the "Long Hill" there I would of course give it a go. You see this guy Ken that has left the team paged me to warn me of this hill, he was giving me all kinds of horror stories; technical; wet; loose rocks; oil pan smasher, couldn't help you if you're stuck..etc..had a hard time himself.."Re-route is tandamount", no if's or but's! . Well, what was I to do..this or that. LIke you said I should have taken a lookee...and see for myself.... Well It's done. I re-routed big time..so next time I shall see for myself. Got another message that on the way to Salida CR 320 is hilly and treacherous when wet...no grip! Told him to cease sending me Scout Reports!

BigDon; XCRider, DirtyDog..thank you for your input and sorry I didn't read your posting at the earliest.

YouTube video of the "Long Canyon Road", New Mexico...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z17Gsje5Yn0

THE LAST OF OKLAHOMA...

Woke up at 0630hrs to a clear, cool 60 degree morning and went back onto the TAT not too far from the Town. Rode comfortaboy until I got to this: ...thought this is too early in the morning and for my 1200# rig...don't have the morning strength to dig ourselves out so re-route a bit.

Been smelling some pretty good stuff..being from NC, I knew it to be a pig farm. But the smell was kind of overbearing...then I came to an asphalt cross over in view of one of these hog farms with it's own cesspool.

This pool is full of pig waste mostly urine that the farmer evaporates in the sun, what's left is concentrated uric precipitate giving a great smell for miles. Actually the farm is pretty far from the major highways.

Here are your future pork chops...

Now the picture doesn't do justice here...I kept smelling the stuff for a few miles..."Brunhilde" stank...thought maybe I picked up some of the stuff under my fenders....alas it's this stretch of road..browninsh,,,moist...just for a few miles. Eh, it's PISS road..the first I have ever ridden on. Sometimes farmers that don't have cesspools just disperse these urinary delights on these far away gravel/sand roads and you drive on em'...pisses me off. It isn't always too good to scatter these liquids onto his fields..too much urea! So here it is the TAT piss road!! Tell Sam.

See the different road color in the distance...The end of the piss road

Abandoned homes on the TAT were plentiful but this one got my attention:

Oh, totally restorable ??

We bid you good bye Oklahoma...you are A-OK!

Because of the warning regarding the "Long Canyon Road" I slabbed it to Branson, Colorado....

Elevation change...getting cool, dry.....

108 mph at 4000 rpm ??

I wuz there, proofs in the pudding...

Change of landscape is evident as you go more west ..

Colorado State Line....

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 02:58 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #170
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Colorado....here I come

Ok, lurkers, posters...friends..enemies... I made it to Colorado my actual TAT goal inspite of a few diversions on the TAT..still feel that I've been pretty TAT'erized . Now I'll play around Colorado till I am satisfied and move on to other avenues.

NO mo' video as the camera went a fritz just this morning. Dunno why, so sent me a new one. Still pictures from now on and no "live" piss roads anymore.

Obligatory Branson, Colo. Town jail stop picture..

Now look at this: one of the finest gravel roads ever ridden on; Colorado..wooo....so well manicured, groomed, re ground and packed...could go 120 mph on these!? Great job Colorado tax payers, I am envious..who's your Governator?

Nearing Trinidad, CO. Look at this spread up there..what a view..is it one of the clinics(what??) Ah, lemme tell you ignoramus'es after my St"Bucks fix..

OK, I am now properly caffeinated...

SEX

Have I got your attention:

Let's see: You've ridden a long way here. Your arse has been pounded to smitherens...your scrotum twisted and your penis been sliding rearwards and you sit on it...pretty flacid. Wanna get rid of this damn nuisance, ah, you've come to the right place.

This is the SEX change capital of the USA, bar none. One of the best in the World. Leave the oat sower here and get a vagina. Send home your Dick via UPS and ride non challantly to the Beaches of Oregon. Aye...think about it..

Cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 08:02 AM
Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #171
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I was going to skip OK and truck the bke out to NM, now I am thinking about riding out there. I can leave the house and be on the TAT in MS in 8 hours or so...
Hi mrprez...Come on over and do the "piss" road but don't dare fall over..it's soft, mushy and smells pretty evil...forget the Karoos..they hold too much mud...better use the Metzeler Tourances!

cheers...
Old 07-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #172
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
LOL....

Now, why are you at Trinidad?

Good RR...

Too bad about the long hill. Wished you could've tackle it with your hack...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #173
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Coyote melons, IIRC.

Here's hoping that the epic sand you pictured yesterday is actually the worst of what is to come.

I think there is worse sand to the West of you, not only in the Western states, but still some sandy 2-track in the panhandle.
Coyote Melons..??..Good only for Coyotes .?..can we eat em' ? Good thirst quencher for dehydrated TAT'ers??

cheers...
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #174
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Hmmnn....aarrghh...I usually don't get much posting from the experts, however you just did here while in Trinidad, Colo. IF and only IF I had read you posts last night and or opened the PC this morning in Liberal, KS to see what I would expect with the "Long Hill" there I would of course give it a go. You see this guy Ken that has left the team paged me to warn me of this hill, he was giving me all kinds of horror stories; technical; wet; loose rocks; oil pan smasher, couldn't help you if you're stuck..etc..had a hard time himself.."Re-route is tandamount", no if's or but's! . Well, what was I to do..this or that. LIke you said I should have taken a lookee...and see for myself.... Well It's done. I re-routed big time..so next time I shall see for myself. Got another message that on the way to Salida CR 320 is hilly and treacherous when wet...no grip! Told him to cease sending me Scout Reports!

BigDon; XCRider, DirtyDog..thank you for your input and sorry I didn't read your posting at the earliest.
Don't worry about it; the only thing that matters is......Are You Having Fun!? If the answer is yes, then just keep on doing what you're doing.

As anyone who's done any kind of travelling will tell you, it's easy to make decisions from the comfort of your easy chair at home, but it's completely different when you're on the road, by yourself, out in the middle of nowhere, and breaking your machine by taking too many chances is simply not an option.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #175
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:

Survival food ?? No idea what it is...maybe some Okies can chime in..

Not survival food, just a wild gourd--don't think they are toxic but they are inedible. About the only thing they are good for is chucking at your little brother's head when bored.

Great Ride Report!!!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #176
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Don't worry about it; the only thing that matters is......Are You Having Fun!? If the answer is yes, then just keep on doing what you're doing.

As anyone who's done any kind of travelling will tell you, it's easy to make decisions from the comfort of your easy chair at home, but it's completely different when you're on the road, by yourself, out in the middle of nowhere, and breaking your machine by taking too many chances is simply not an option.
..well said..! Having a helluva great time...thanks for your support. It's on to Salida tomorrow < Cotopaxi, < Westcliffe, etc...Tips??

cheers..

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 05:45 AM
Old 07-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #177
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
..well said..! Having a helluva great time...thanks for your support. It's on to Salida tomorrow weather permitting otherwise Cotopaxi, Westcliff, etc...Tips??

cheers..
The stretch of TAT leading into Salida is good fun, nothing really bad that I can remember. After Salida is when it starts to get really interesting! I would definitely do Marshall pass, it's really easy for CO. After that it can get a little more challenging, but I don't want to influence you one way or the other. My rule of thumb when travelling solo and getting into "uncharted territory" is to simply go ahead and try it, but always keeping in mind that if it gets too challenging for my comfort level, I want to be able to turn around and double back.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #178
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Coyote Melons..??..Good only for Coyotes .?..can we eat em' ? Good thirst quencher for dehydrated TAT'ers??

cheers...

Coyote Melon

Cucurbita palmata

Family:
Cucurbitaceae, Gourd Family
Form:
Annual or perennial herbaceous vine
Range:
Southern California, southern Nevada, western Arizona, northern Baja California and Sonora, Mexico
Habitat:
Sandy places below 4,000 feet elevation; Creosote Bush Scrub, Coastal Sage Scrub, Valley Grassland
Living Desert Location:
Coyote Exhibit

Coyote Melon may be recognized by its rough, stiff-haired stems and large, palmate shaped leaves sprawling over sandy areas or climbing via tendrils into surrounding vegetation. It may also be easily distinguished by its three-inch, dull green, spheroid gourds with pale yellow vertical stripes. As the gourds mature they become straw colored.
Flowering time is April through September. The flowers are a beautiful combination of gold, yellow and orange. The pulp within the fruit is unpalatable, but was utilized by native people and during the depression, for soap. Clothing laundered with the soap reportedly helps to repel body lice.
The seeds are edible, unlike the pulp, and contain value as a source of protein (31%), and cooking oil (30%). The dried gourds have been used as rattles and containers. After the plant has gone to fruit, the stems dry up and wither away, later to re-sprout from the tuberous root once sufficient rains return.
Coyote melon can be used as an attractive and effective herbaceous ground cover in the garden. Incorporating this Coachella Valley native in a landscape provides nectar to various invertebrates including at least two of its more effective pollinators - Peponapis and Xenoglossa, the squash or gourd bees.
The three inch wide flowers open before dawn and wilt by late morning.

Mmmmm , protein !Association of Zoos & AquariumsWAZAAPGAFacebookTwitterFlickrYouTube
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #179
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Hey Elmer!

I think I'm going to need to add the TAT to my list of future rides. Looks amazing and the report is fantastic. How is the rig getting along?

I have to admit your pictures are making me miss the good ol' usa...
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #180
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
oh geez, wish I came along....now that you're getting into some interesting scenery!! Love the pictures and will miss your videos since they were starting to get interesting. Make sure you don't leave anything behind in Trinidad!!!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote