Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
To do this trip you will need...

1-a sense of ridiculousness
2- buns of steel
3- the occassional desire to get away from people
4- at least a month
5- not much else I can think of..$$$, maybe!

Cheers
Yes, #5 is definitely a must!! If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't wait last minute like 2 weeks before the depart date to do it.. but to tell you the truth, I don't regret it one bit right now.. this trip has definitely been a very rich experience for me.. Learned so much about what I will need down the road.. Elmer has been and always will be very value to me and I thank him for his understanding and support.. And I want to thank him for understanding to let me go on my own way riding solo because that also add to some experience what to expect riding solo as well.

By the way, this is me, Ken..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #227
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hola Elmar!

This has been an excellent thread especially for those who are set to embark on this kind of trip. I have come to a
much better understanding what a trek on the TAT would entail.

I will be with you via the SPOT (mostly the topography part) as you begin your attack on the challenging passes throughout Colorado. I guess this part would be the most challenging part of the whole TAT thing?

Say, I read Ken's reply to this thread, but I wonder about the whereabouts of him and how he has been doing so far. .Have you been in touch with him?

Good luck to the big challenge ahead of you!
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #228
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennymiler View Post
Hola Elmar!

This has been an excellent thread especially for those who are set to embark on this kind of trip. I have come to a

I will be with you via the SPOT (mostly the topography part) as you begin your attack on the challenging passes throughout Colorado. I guess this part would be the most challenging part of the whole TAT thing?

Say, I read Ken's reply to this thread, but I wonder about the whereabouts of him and how he has been doing so far. .Have you been in touch with him?

Ken has his own trip report going:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808212
Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #229
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennymiler View Post
Hola Elmar!

He has been in Moab, UT for several days..staying at a Hostel..contemplating his next move. Doesn't want to risk the High Desert of Nevada without tools...that's the latest!!

Cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #230
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Salida >> Lake City..

Left this morning early and rode into a frigid mountain zone. Layer of socks, bandana, liner, riding jacket's vents closed,etc.. were in order.

According to my Mapsource/BaseCamp calculation for the route(s) that I have drawn from Sam's maps it's a distance of 125 miles(3.23hrs) to the next destination...That's the calcualtion via dirt bike, or heavier, but not mine. I don't have soft springs on the pusher. Going too fast would shake the BeJesus out of me..so I figured that the going would be way slower...good enough it took me almost twice the time. Leaving at 0600-->--1400hrs...wooo! Slow going lots of rocks although a good road..steep...sliding a bit..! Mentally, emotionally, physically I didn't want another Motel so soon but...then Monticello, UT would be another 195 miles...no way Jose; don't wanna camp in the mountains.

So did Marshall Pass, Los Pinos Pass on the way to Lake CIty, Colo.

Marshall Pass resident..

Up the Pass...

Now let me explain...

I was so focused on climbing, dodging rocks...making sure that the bike avoids them and the sidecar can absorb them! Total focus...climbed to 10,000'+ came to 2 turns with wodden structures explaining the area...never did I see the Marshall Summit elevation sign post so rode on...then fafter a mile of descend realized that I missed the obligatory photo..eecckkkk.......

So here is a cheater copy of someones photo of the Marshall Summit sign..

Aha..SPOT sayz I wuz there..

Cannot believe I missed it by just varooming past it.

Then came down way down Marshall Pass road into Sargents....

Stopped at this country store on my way to Lake City...hot Java( Bbrrr...eecch) to warm up and went on my merry way to the next gravel section.

Cheer..
Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #231
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Video of Climbing Marshall Pass...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #232
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

After leaving the country store in Sargents I noticed that the sidecar wheel seemed slanted, upon inspection it was the fender which has cracked in 2 places. Nothing serious as these things can be fixed at home. No problemo!

The ride went on..to Lake CIty..

Then down this lovely fast stretch....then both GPS'es told me to turn left...left I went on a rugged trail.

For 1/2 miles the route ended on the GPS while the maps and roll chart didn't help..

This is were the trail is supposed to lead to......

went back from where I came from the smooth, fast road and just followed it...presto both GPS'es agreed that I was back on the TAT but roll chart and map ???

After a while...the gravel road; asphalt appeared but fr just a short mile..then a right..

The TAT led me through here onto a private ranch....

Spoke with this nice cattleman and explained my intursion: the TAT runs through here..?? "Oh, well-" he says. Plenty of motorcycles come through here. He doesn't mind but lately his horses, dogs, etc have been getting a bit loco. So he would appreciate that someone inform the creator of the TAT NOT to route it through here. his Ranch.

So Sam and fellow TAT'ers try NOT to route through here: Flying Ranch : N 38 17.096; W 106 44.869

On the way to Lake City...

Lots of Fly Fishing around here...lots of streams...

Taking a break along the creeks....so beautiful....

And among Fleur-de-Lis

Beware of these..they get spooky..

Death on the TAT ???

Met a nice couple running the same stretch of road the opposite.

Your guys might be wondering if I always have to lean left when the crown of the road leans right..I got this gizmo
that with a switch that sets me horizontally on

....fly

Neato !!

Nighty night...

cheers....
Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #233
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Now let me explain...

I was so focused on climbing, dodging rocks...making sure that the bike avoids them and the sidecar can absorb them! Total focus...climbed to 10,000'+ came to 2 turns with wodden structures explaining the area...never did I see the Marshall Summit elevation sign post so rode on...then fafter a mile of descend realized that I missed the obligatory photo..eecckkkk.......

See what happens when you psych yourself up to think that something is going to be 10 times worse than what it actually is!

Just ribbing you a little. It may have been cold, but it looks like you had clear blue skies!

So what's the plan from Lake City!? Are you going to try and go a little farther and onto Monticello or Moab, UT? I will say that the stretch from Lake City to a little before Dove Creek, CO is the toughest section in CO (in my opinion, so take it for what its worth). However Animas Forks is a really cool place to check out and hang out for a bit. Good thing it's a weekday because I can only imagine how much traffic there is around there on the weekends.

Good luck and I can't wait for the next installment!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #234
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post

See what happens when you psych yourself up to think that something is going to be 10 times worse than what it actually is!

Just ribbing you a little. It may have been cold, but it looks like you had clear blue skies!

So what's the plan from Lake City!? Are you going to try and go a little farther and onto Monticello or Moab, UT? I will say that the stretch from Lake City to a little before Dove Creek, CO is the toughest section in CO (in my opinion, so take it for what its worth). However Animas Forks is a really cool place to check out and hang out for a bit. Good thing it's a weekday because I can only imagine how much traffic there is around there on the weekends.

Good luck and I can't wait for the next installment!
He,he...you funny.

Blue skies, Yes,,,but it was cold. I am from NC remember, love h-e-a-t..and what's more they got the daily late afternoon Monsoons here which have progressively moved back a bit and now come barreling dwon at high Noon.

I am thinking of trying Cinammon Pass tomorrow and see Animas Forks...Engineer Pass is a bit rugged for my rig NOT me!

So I after that I'll probably call it a trip and return home, come back another day on a DRZ 400s with a hopeful group of hopefuls,,,.

cheers...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #235
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
According to MapQuest, the trail doesn't go through his ranch. Those all appear to be county roads. Seems to me that even if you turned off 114 onto Co Nn14 you wouldn't be on his property.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #236
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
According to MapQuest, the trail doesn't go through his ranch. Those all appear to be county roads. Seems to me that even if you turned off 114 onto Co Nn14 you wouldn't be on his property.

Yes, correct.. That is the way I went..

The another entrance was Old National Forest access road which lead up to one of NF office before another ranch..

Elmer, I hope you don't mind me sharing.. not trying to hijack your thread..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #237
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
...singing "rain, rain, go away...come again another day".....la la la la

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #238
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

[QUOTE=mrprez;19197937]According to MapQuest, the trail doesn't go through his ranch. Those all appear to be county roads. Seems to me that even if you turned off 114 onto Co Nn14 you wouldn't be on his property.

[/QUOTE

Mrprez and Ken, Yes, I guess you're right..dunno why? Hmmnn...Rocky Mountain High ??. Both GPs showed me the wrong way. Anyway..the Rancher did say that tons of bikes come through his property...magnetic anomaly.

cheers..
Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #239
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,641
No worries guys. Sounds like you are being respectful of the landowners and that's all that matters.

It's tough to string together several thousands of miles of dirt roads without making MANY wrong turns. I know I did. Everyone's TAT tracks are unique. I had to travel miles and miles in a maze-like fashion to successfully cross a particular creek. It's an infamous crossing... one group actually did it nude to avoid soaking all their riding gear. Gotta search for that ride report on your own...
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #240
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Nude???

Dang---bunch of mad-TAT'ers...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote