Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 03:24 AM   #61
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
You have to love America for it's wide viriety of individuals. The pic of that sign reminds me of the Giant Spark Plug at S. Of the border.

John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #62
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Leaving the Trail......!

Last week I said good bye to my lovely wife in Wilmington, NC and rode my GS/sidecar to Knoxville, TN via Asheville, NC to Jellico. TN.
On Thursday morning I rode away from the Days Inn in Jellico, TN and started the TAT in the early morning.

I was going deep into the heart of darkest, steamy Tennessee.........

When Sam mapped TN for the TAT it was mostly all gravel. In the last 7-10 years TN has spent a lot of tax dollars paving every road in the state thus many riders not taking TN too much for fear of wearing out their knobbies or just wanting to hit gravel right away. I don’t have Sam’s most recent newer updated maps of TN and understand that he’s back in finding/mapping gravely roads again for Tennessee.
After the first 20 gravely miles onto the TAT…., Tennessee indeed lived up to its reputation of being mostly paved and would best be served as a shake-down cruise for the rest of the TAT. By the end of the State your gear is probably better sorted, your bike might feel being in synch, your mind is distant from the day to day cares of the world and you are might feel ready for some serious Mississippi and Arkansas dirt?

The way I feel for those here, if you plan on riding the complete TAT and need to make time, you are probably better off cutting off a lot of the jogging around here and start in Arkansas. Those who don’t care in smelling some flowers nor immerse themselves in the local culture might not be missing much, but I decided then to snake around the Tennessee TAT ....immerse in their culture…savor their culinary delights if any and take pictures as not many TAT riders cover Tennessee in its entirety. They just zoom through. I wanted to blend in and use Sam’s maps to its fullest and most of all I have …… TIME!!

BUT…Oh, Lordy.. Oh, Lord…. BUT…

It is not to be…

As I write this from Sparta, TN, I hate to be a bearer of not so good news. I’ve come to the conclusion that I am throwing in the towel regarding hacking the TAT. Been in a funk since day 1 departure… my body and mind simply did not immerse themselves in getting to ride solo.

Done solo before…but this time it became a hindrance affecting my mind and physical well being whereas daily physical/mental oddities were starting to affect my thinking and performance. Not that the TAT via Hack was difficult..none of these…it’s easier than you think, especially the Eastern section. I stayed true to the TAT route all the way to Sparta, TN..…a distance of only 192 miles but at a timed run of 08:00 hrs.

It’s the “solo” thing that is affecting me personally. Yes, it could also be loneliness, with no one to share the scenery, eating, camping, Moteling, and trip planning.

With all that hype…of being there for you, giving you some Adventure….and now ppfffffff….it’ not to be.

I sincerely, humbly apologize for getting you excited to no avail. I hope to again post another ride report someday but definitely un-solo!

Cheers…..

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-07-2011 at 09:01 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #63
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
You'll feel better when you get home & give your wife a big hug & a sweet kiss.

I, for one, will be standing by for another time w/ your best buddy along for the trip.

Chin up.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #64
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,293
Ooooh, Elmer! Great disappointment!

But you are the man in charge and no one can make the decision for you.

Feelin yer pain, buddy.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #65
Zachsv
SVhaver

Oddometer: 156
Wow terrible to hear, but one of the things that would keep me from doing this is going solo. I'm in Wilmington nearly every other weekend (will be there this weekend, camping on Masonboro Island probably). In a year or so I hope that I can save money, sell of non essentials, quit my job and ride the TAT, but would absolutely need a partner for the trip. It would drive me into depression and madness to do the trip alone, two things I don't approve of! haha

Safe travels back to town. If you see a naked blue SV650 with 40lbs of camping gear on the back, shoot me a honk haha

Also, one of my biggest reasons for wanting to go is to photograph the country...something I've dreamed about...travel and shoot, travel and shoot. One thing I'm awful at is stopping to smell the roses and shoot some 'fine art'. Been trained my entire life to be a man and that men don't stop on a trip till we get there or we need gas lol. Thanks Dad. Would definitely want to partner up with someone who appreciated the sunsets, rolling hills and wandering cattle.
Zachsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #66
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post

When Sam mapped TN for the TAT it was mostly all gravel. In the last 7-10 years TN has spent a lot of tax dollars paving every road in the state thus many riders not taking TN too much for fear of wearing out their knobbies or just wanting to hit gravel right away. I don’t have Sam’s most recent newer updated maps of TN and understand that he’s back in finding/mapping gravely roads again for Tennessee.
The first 20 miles onto the TAT…., Tennessee indeed lived up to its reputation of being mostly paved and would best be served as a shake-down cruise for the rest of the TAT. By the end of the State your gear is probably better sorted, your bike might feel being in synch, your mind is distant from the day to day cares of the world and you are might feel ready for some serious Mississippi and Arkansas dirt?

BUT…Oh, Lordy.. Oh, Lord…. BUT…

It is not to be…

It’s the “solo” thing that is affecting me personally. Yes, it could also be loneliness, with no one to share the scenery, eating, camping, Moteling, and trip planning.

I sincerely, humbly apologize for getting you excited to no avail. I hope to again post another ride report someday but definitely un-solo!

Disappointing news, indeed, but reasonable for you. I'm sure that Sharon (or some other riders) would have lifted your spirits, but it was not meant to be. A famous daytime television host said "You have to listen to the whispers before they advance into full-blown ramming you head through a brick wall". The whispers tell us we need to reassess our situation. Good for you for paying attention!! Not everyone does. Unfortunately.

I'm looking forward to your next trip as much as any other you've ridden. Maybe it will include a stopover in the PNW?

Safe travels, buddy! You're one of the good ones!!

Paul
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #67
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,211
HACK ATTACK THE TAT!!!

I am so in. You are an inspiration, Good Sir.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #68
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Whoa! Wanna me bringing you some cans of Popeye spinach. Try not to detour for home yet but can understand how hard it is or can be! Try to mediate and give it a couple of hours. We all are with you.
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #69
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,244
Tell you what Elmer, you come on over to Dayton the end of the month and we will sit down and discuss running the TAT next year. I personally prefer riding/traveling alone but I would be more than happy to meet you in TN and run the TAT back at least to Colorado with you.

I will even trim my mustache before heading to Dayton.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #70
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,743
Long distance/time solo is a strange thing sometimes Its awesome, sometimes its dreadful. If it didn't feel right then there is no shame in abandoning the trip.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #71
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
i fully undertand, elmer
it's ok....
we all love you
get home safely....
this way i can come see you SOONER
so... maybe i'm being selfish by saying that

you need to be happy
sharon will be both thrilled and a bit disappointed.... it'll all work out fine
missing someone THAT much is a WONDERFUL THING

thanks for the thread
do something interesting on the way home
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #72
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Ouch!!!

Hi All....

Just to be fair to all who gave me encouragements and support. I got home safe last night. Not trying to prolong nor stretch this report into unnecessary bander.... this morning I saw that I definitely have a physical "ailment"...needs attention by a physican. I am sure that the "solo" part was part of the unfortunate mix regarding the unknown ailment!

Thank you guys n' gals.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-03-2011 at 10:18 AM
Old 07-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #73
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsv View Post
Wow terrible to hear, but one of the things that would keep me from doing this is going solo. I'm in Wilmington nearly every other weekend (will be there this weekend, camping on Masonboro Island probably). In a year or so I hope that I can save money, sell of non essentials, quit my job and ride the TAT, but would absolutely need a partner for the trip. It would drive me into depression and madness to do the trip alone, two things I don't approve of! haha

Safe travels back to town. If you see a naked blue SV650 with 40lbs of camping gear on the back, shoot me a honk haha

Also, one of my biggest reasons for wanting to go is to photograph the country...something I've dreamed about...travel and shoot, travel and shoot. One thing I'm awful at is stopping to smell the roses and shoot some 'fine art'. Been trained my entire life to be a man and that men don't stop on a trip till we get there or we need gas lol. Thanks Dad. Would definitely want to partner up with someone who appreciated the sunsets, rolling hills and wandering cattle.
I am still keen in running the TAT after I am a bit more healthy and would welcome to tag along with you...two photographers would make an enourmous contribution to mapping the TAT in it's finest.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #74
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
Get better!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #75
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Howdy Elmer,

Sad it had to end so soon but glad to hear that you stopped when you did. A person really has to listen to that inner voice and heed what it is saying. I have learned over the many years I have been doing long distance trips that sometimes you just have to STOP even if its only for a day or two to regroup and get your stuff together.

Again only speaking for myself at my age I would love to someday hack the TAT but I would want to do it with a good dependable riding partner, you never know when things could go bad in a hurry, having someone you can depend on riding with you in desolate terrain is for me a must. Hold your head up, you have lived to ride another day.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote